Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team Tank 2022-23
(12-21-2022, 02:56 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: They're a low lottery team if they they play Hardy and Green ... but some context from McMahon helps. Even with MVP caliber Luka "Dallas has lost 10 of its past 16 games, allowing 115.6 points per 100 possessions during that span, which ranks near the bottom of the league." 

That's a .375 winning percentage which is tied with Washington for sixth lowest.

It's certainly not all on Wood, but for the record, the slide coincides with Wood's increased playing time, including 30 MPG over the last 10 games and a 4-6 record. 

Team 3PT% is up to 36% (14th) and they're still losing. They're last in rebounding. 28th in assists. 28th in FT%. 27th in blocks. 

It's four days until Christmas and this team is what it is. They are a super slow paced, averaging shooting team that doesn't rebound or defend.

I'd probably bet on them to win a play-in game because Luka might play 48 minutes, but it's a dice roll.

But I wouldn't bet on them to win 4 out of 7 against maybe 15 teams. Not saying they can't or won't. It just depends on which team's shots are falling.

Thanks for this. This aligns with what I have been preaching, which is that the idea of "tanking would be impossible with Luka" is way off base.

If we're honest with ourselves, this Mavs team as presently constructed is sucky, and it wouldn't take much effort to land this stinker in the bottom 10 where there's a pick awaiting in a really good draft. For all the lament about how expensive it would be to add a young talented player, that's an avenue to one they have, staring them in the face, which costs neither future picks nor whatever talent they already have on the roster.
Like Reply
I absolutely don't want Luka to be hurt, but if he missed 2-3 weeks at some point in the season, there's no playoffs anyway. Even if he stays healthy, I think the play in is best case. I think we should give Hardy and Green heavy minutes. We should start Wood and play him heavy minutes. If he isn't a long term fit, trade him at the deadline. Don't tell Luka it's a a tank. Tell him we're going young and this will benefit you going forward. He can put up ridiculous stats and we won't win much. It's a win win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Start McGee, let’s bring back Kyle Collinsworth and Ben Bentil. 

I’m ready for this sh**

https://giphy.com/gifs/wwe-wrestling-xT39D3N99IGzEWXeWQ
Like Reply
(12-21-2022, 03:07 PM)F Gump Wrote: Thanks for this. This aligns with what I have been preaching, which is that the idea of "tanking would be impossible with Luka" is way off base.

If we're honest with ourselves, this Mavs team as presently constructed is sucky, and it wouldn't take much effort to land this stinker in the bottom 10 where there's a pick awaiting in a really good draft. For all the lament about how expensive it would be to add a young talented player, that's an avenue to one they have, staring them in the face, which costs neither future picks nor whatever talent they already have on the roster.

This isnt aimed at you by any means...I am just here to say that this is what Pro-Draft posters have been saying for quite a while now.

The plug and play, play-off playable vet market is outrageous in the NBA.  You have to wipe away a few guys from your 3-8 while also giving away like 2 or 3 FRP's. Its completely out-a-whack, imo.  

I am of the opinion that if you do your research and find a coachable kid that has First Round measurements, athleticism, defense and decent fundamentals the Luka Effect will do the rest.  For lack of better words...this same player might be considered a First Round bust on other teams...but Luka makes him look really good.

Just get some young energy with decent fundamentals and decent defense around Luka.  But...I assume people are going to throw stats that say its still hard to land that kind of player in the First Round...and then sing the praises of Plug and Play philosophy.   

My opinion...use the draft over next couple of years to try and find 2 other young studs to put next to Luka and Green.  Once you find your 1 stud or 2 decent starting caliber youngins...then use assets to bring in the Plug and Play guys to help you go get a Championship.   I think we are doing it backwards here.
Like Reply
Get busy winning or get busy tanking.
[-] The following 2 users Like loki's post:
  • cow, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(12-21-2022, 09:19 PM)loki Wrote: Get busy winning or get busy tanking.

Mavs fans crawled through five hundred yards of shit smelling foulness I can’t even imagine, or maybe I just don’t want to. Five hundred yards… that’s the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • KillerLeft, loki
Like Reply
(12-21-2022, 09:21 PM)cow Wrote: Mavs fans crawled through five hundred yards of shit smelling foulness I can’t even imagine, or maybe I just don’t want to. Five hundred yards… that’s the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile.

Remember cow, tanking is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • cow
Like Reply
Luka not looking interested in this game at all. Theo Pinson already getting minutes...yeah this is a Tank Game! Merry Christmas
Like Reply
Too close to a top 4 seed now to tank, especially with Booker’s injury.  They need to go the other direction and try to improve for seeding and the playoffs.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1616170505979179008
Like Reply
Like Reply
If the Mavs lose 3 of the next 4 they have a chance to be back in the bottom 10 and have their pick back.
Like Reply
(01-19-2023, 03:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: If the Mavs lose 3 of the next 4 they have a chance to be back in the bottom 10 and have their pick back.

There was a strong possibility of that happening prior to this injury.
Like Reply
We're back!
Like Reply
I might be signing up for the first time 
We could easily fall to the 13th seed in the matter of a couple weeks if Luka doesn't go back into MVP mode
Like Reply
It feels like the season could go either way right now. However it goes, I'm hoping it goes full speed -- either massive effort and improvement that makes them a real threat to go far in playoffs, or  a complete crash-and-burn to a top 10 pick.

BUT -- Going down in the standings is not as easy as it would seem -- its a much longer, harder road than just a game or two, because when you lose, many of the others lose too and you gain no ground.

Right now the Mavs are 3 games ahead of 9th and 2.5 ahead of 10th. But they might have to lose another 5-6 in a row, starting today, or even more, to get down that far.

If Luka gets an "injury" then that makes tanking easy. But they are certainly capable of losing a lot when he's playing, too.
Like Reply
(01-19-2023, 06:06 PM)F Gump Wrote: It feels like the season could go either way right now. However it goes, I'm hoping it goes full speed -- either massive effort and improvement that makes them a real threat to go far in playoffs, or  a complete crash-and-burn to a top 10 pick.

BUT -- Going down in the standings is not as easy as it would seem -- its a much longer, harder road than just a game or two, because when you lose, many of the others lose too and you gain no ground.

Right now the Mavs are 3 games ahead of 9th and 2.5 ahead of 10th. But they might have to lose another 5-6 in a row, starting today, or even more, to get down that far.

If Luka gets an "injury" then that makes tanking easy. But they are certainly capable of losing a lot when he's playing, too.

Let's be honest, Cuban isn't going to tank.

At any rate, if there is any truth to the Knicks coveting Bullock, I'd try my hardest to get our FRP back.  Maybe Bullock and a few second rounders could do the trick?
Like Reply
I'm in
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
The Mavs are tanking just enough to hand NY the 11th pick while still missing the playoffs. It’s a Mavs style tank.  The Mavs have done a better job building the Knicks team than their own. What a nightmare. This is about as bad as a franchise has been run in NBA history.
[-] The following 2 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Mavs2021, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
Trade Hardaway. Trade Dinwiddie. Trade Powell. Trade Bullock. Send McGee to Mars. 

Oh and beg someone to take Bertans. Please.
Like Reply