Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team Tank 2022-23
(12-10-2022, 09:55 PM)cow Wrote: We're back, baby!

[Image: seinfeld-im-back.gif]
Like Reply
We'd be lucky to be at .500 after this weekend.
Like Reply
Are we sure they’re not already tanking?
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 11:55 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Are we sure they’re not already tanking?

They are going for the worst possible outcome. Missing the playoffs and losing the pick.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Paul Gasol, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(12-14-2022, 11:55 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Are we sure they’re not already tanking?

We need a panic trade and a Luka injury first.

(12-14-2022, 11:59 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: They are going for the worst possible outcome. Missing the playoffs and losing the pick.

The Cuban special.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
We never left.
Like Reply
Is there room on this bus?  Can’t have these types of performances against a supposed tired and average team.
Like Reply
Tank is looking promising tonight.
Like Reply
CHOO CHOO!
Like Reply
Jumping aboard team tank. But i've stated in other threads that we have two huge problems

1. Luka- He's too good to tank and he'll never allow it (while healthy). 
  2. Nico/Cuban- They are not to be trusted with a tank job. They would screw this up and we all know it
We are in the same boat we've been in for 30 years. We're either really good (11 straight 50+wins)  or bad but not bad enough for a top 5 pick. Its a never ending cycle of mediocrity. Cuban is the one constant with all of this.

We have to embrace a full tank operation (which realistically can take 2 to 3 seasons). The only window we had was Luka's rookie year. But we go out and trade multiple 1sts for Porzingis and there goes that. 

This roster and this franchise is in real trouble. We have the best player on the planet at 23 years old. A mega star. A transcendent talent. Yet we have surrounded him with a team full of roll players. And when i say roll players, i mean like guys who would be the 7,8,9th options on decent contending teams. All of this on bloated contracts and no assets to add. 

We are doing him worse than we did Dirk. And we all know we should have won at least 2 more championships with Dirk.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nowitzki Way's post:
  • BigDirk41, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
This is all super depressing if you’re a Mavs fan, but I would point out that I remember San Antonio tanking for one year and then being immediately back in the title hunt. Luka probably doesn’t need a fully rebuilt team, just more than what he’s getting from this team now.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 11:05 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: This is all super depressing if you’re a Mavs fan, but I would point out that I remember San Antonio tanking for one year and then being immediately back in the title hunt. Luka probably doesn’t need a fully rebuilt team, just more than what he’s getting from this team now.

Of course they do not need a full re-build. They can do what the Warriors or Spurs have done successfully, but they need a real plan for the next 18 months and execute it. That means a lot more than just losing games and making a pick in six months. They need to map out minutes for young players. They need to add young players via free agency (two way slots). They need to add young players/reclamation projects under 30 via trade. They need to re-structure their cap at the same time. A strategic tank is a lot more work than just continuing this path to 38-44 wins.

I´m confident we are going to end up with a lottery pick anyway. It´s just that we need a top 10 pick, which means we need top 8 odds. The idea that you can half-ass (Cuban´s 2nd name) this tank is the problem. Yes right now we are as far away from the #1 seed as we are from the bottom, but in 2023 the bottom-feeders will accelerate their tanking process in this alleged generational draft. You don´t want to play catch-up.
Like Reply
I think the Mavs finish in the 11-12 range if they decide to play this out. I don't think they make the play in. Last year's turn around was due to Luka coming in out of shape and getting into shape. This year he came in firing on all cylinders. I don't know the magic answer on tanking with Luka because he won't want to lose. Best case scenario this team finishes in the 8-10 range. Might as well tank at that range when we have the best young player in the world.
Like Reply
On the things that will never happen scale this is a virtual lock, but few things would make this season more enjoyable/productive than letting Hardy and Green start and play 28+ mpg for the rest of the season next to Luka. Add in a trade for a couple of other buy low young guys and lets just see how much worse we are with Luka and a bunch of kids vs Luka and a bunch of overpaid single skillset vets.
[-] The following 4 users Like Okstate819's post:
  • BigDirk41, ItsGoTime, Nowitzki Way, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
I'm not on board yet. The refs really hosed us in that last game, and Green being out has really hurt. My thinking is if we keep our pick this year that hamstrings what we can do in a trade starting this offseason. We currently can't trade a first round pick from before 2027 because of the Stepien rule until that pick conveys to the Knicks. If that pick does convey we'll all of a sudden be open for business with enough picks to cash our chips in and actually try to get Luka another star
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 04:51 PM)MrGoat Wrote: I'm not on board yet. The refs really hosed us in that last game, and Green being out has really hurt. My thinking is if we keep our pick this year that hamstrings what we can do in a trade starting this offseason. We currently can't trade a first round pick from before 2027 because of the Stepien rule until that pick conveys to the Knicks. If that pick does convey we'll all of a sudden be open for business with enough picks to cash our chips in and actually try to get Luka another star

If Mavs keep their pick, they can trade a very high 2023 pick, 2028 and 2030 picks on draft night. Remove protections from 2024, and they could trade 2026, 28 and 30.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 08:36 PM)omahen Wrote: If Mavs keep their pick, they can trade a very high 2023 pick, 2028 and 2030 picks on draft night. Remove protections from 2024, and they could trade 2026, 28 and 30.

Pretty sure you'd have to pay New York to remove the protections.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 09:36 PM)cow Wrote: Pretty sure you'd have to pay New York to remove the protections.

I couldn't care less, if it nets the right player. My point is, there is a possibility to do that.
Like Reply
(12-21-2022, 04:13 AM)omahen Wrote: I couldn't care less, if it nets the right player. My point is, there is a possibility to do that.

It has little to do with your care level and the reality of the situation.
Like Reply
(12-20-2022, 01:57 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: lets just see how much worse we are with Luka and a bunch of kids vs Luka and a bunch of overpaid single skillset vets.

They're a low lottery team if they they play Hardy and Green ... but some context from McMahon helps. Even with MVP caliber Luka "Dallas has lost 10 of its past 16 games, allowing 115.6 points per 100 possessions during that span, which ranks near the bottom of the league." 

That's a .375 winning percentage which is tied with Washington for sixth lowest.

It's certainly not all on Wood, but for the record, the slide coincides with Wood's increased playing time, including 30 MPG over the last 10 games and a 4-6 record. 

Team 3PT% is up to 36% (14th) and they're still losing. They're last in rebounding. 28th in assists. 28th in FT%. 27th in blocks. 

It's four days until Christmas and this team is what it is. They are a super slow paced, averaging shooting team that doesn't rebound or defend.

I'd probably bet on them to win a play-in game because Luka might play 48 minutes, but it's a dice roll.

But I wouldn't bet on them to win 4 out of 7 against maybe 15 teams. Not saying they can't or won't. It just depends on which team's shots are falling.
Like Reply