Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(12-26-2022, 12:11 PM)sefant Wrote: I find it funny the Mavs media are blatanly ignoring anything Spencer Dinwiddie doing on defense, or doesn't do on defense. Yet they were/are on Wood for every defensive mistake.

Luka + Wood + SD = -5 net rating, in 205 min
Luka + Wood + without SD = +15 net rating 301 min
Luka + SD + without Wood = -1 net rating 471 min

There really aren't any working lineups with Luka + SD that perform reasonable well on defense. Which is a big problem now and going forward. Because its put a ceiling on your performance, if you can't get enough stops. And not sure if the net rating of Luka + SD + Wood inspire confidence that this trio will ever work.

Mavs certainly have the personal to fix most issues i think. But not sure if Kidd has the balls to make "unpopular" lineup choices.

Great post.

If I were the Mavs, then trading SD would be my main focus.
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 12:11 PM)sefant Wrote: I find it funny the Mavs media are blatanly ignoring anything Spencer Dinwiddie doing on defense, or doesn't do on defense. Yet they were/are on Wood for every defensive mistake.

Luka + Wood + SD = -5 net rating, in 205 min
Luka + Wood + without SD = +15 net rating 301 min
Luka + SD + without Wood = -1 net rating 471 min

There really aren't any working lineups with Luka + SD that perform reasonable well on defense. Which is a big problem now and going forward. Because its put a ceiling on your performance, if you can't get enough stops. And not sure if the net rating of Luka + SD + Wood inspire confidence that this trio will ever work.

Mavs certainly have the personal to fix most issues i think. But not sure if Kidd has the balls to make "unpopular" lineup choices.

Great post.

If I were the Mavs, then trading SD would be my main focus.
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 12:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: If I were the Mavs, then trading SD would be my main focus.

That's tough because you limit your trade options in that you need to return a similar skillset unless you have a lot of faith in Kemba or want to punt on the season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 12:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: If I were the Mavs, then trading SD would be my main focus.

Right, we are in desperate need of players who can create for others or for themselves, so lets trade away one of the two players on the team that can do both based on less than half a year of on/off data.  

You can make a really strong argument that Dinwiddie needs to be playing the 6th man role he played last year, especially after Wood and Timmy moved into the starting lineup, but sending him out when we are already desperately low on rotational playmakers does not seem like the best route to take.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • AgGiE1991, F Gump, omahen
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 01:07 PM)mvossman Wrote: Right, we are in desperate need of players who can create for others or for themselves, so lets trade away one of the two players on the team that can do both based on less than half a year of on/off data.  

You can make a really strong argument that Dinwiddie needs to be playing the 6th man role he played last year, especially after Wood and Timmy moved into the starting lineup, but sending him out when we are already desperately low on rotational playmakers does not seem like the best route to take.

I don't think sending Dinwiddie is the answer.  I can see him playing 30mpg as a 6th man.  He is a team player and is worth less to other teams than Dallas.  Dinwiddie's attitude is exactly why he shouldn't be traded.
[-] The following 1 user Likes haveitall's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 01:07 PM)mvossman Wrote: You can make a really strong argument that Dinwiddie needs to be playing the 6th man role he played last year, especially after Wood and Timmy moved into the starting lineup, but sending him out when we are already desperately low on rotational playmakers does not seem like the best route to take.
I fully feel it should be EITHER SD or THJ starting, not both, and we've all talked about SD coming off the bench anyway. Of course, at this time, I think Green is the best player to replace SD and he's still nursing his injury.

Luka/Green/THJ/DFS/Wood
SD/Frank or Kemba/Bullock/Powell

Left Maxi out cause I don't believe he'll recover in time to play again this season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 12:59 PM)cow Wrote: That's tough because you limit your trade options in that you need to return a similar skillset unless you have a lot of faith in Kemba or want to punt on the season.

1) I am willing to punt on the season if it means better in the long run.

2) My team building moves would not be focused on the short term. Luka is in year 1 of a contract extension, NOW is the time to make the hard decisions for the long term.
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 01:07 PM)mvossman Wrote: based on less than half a year of on/off data.

The on/off simply affirms what I and others have been observing in SD's play and fit this season.
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 01:56 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The on/off simply affirms what I and others have been observing in SD's play and fit this season.

Sometimes I wonder if it isn't a little bit the other way around, especially when I read arguments suggesting Powell and Green are more impactful to winning than Luka.

Given that most of us think Spence would make more sense as the 6th man, and given that he had one of the higher net ratings on the team last year while playing that role, wouldn't that suggest maybe we at least try that out this season before shipping out his desperately needed skill set?
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 05:26 PM)mvossman Wrote: Sometimes I wonder if it isn't a little bit the other way around, especially when I read arguments suggesting Powell and Green are more impactful to winning than Luka.

Given that most of us think Spence would make more sense as the 6th man, and given that he had one of the higher net ratings on the team last year while playing that role, wouldn't that suggest maybe we at least try that out this season before shipping out his desperately needed skill set?

1) Well I for one watch all the games, so everything I say starts and ends with what I have seen.

2) I have desired SD going to the bench from the very beginning of the season and did not like him starting from day one. But my suggestion of trading him comes from the fact that he is shooting REALLY well and probably has as much trade value as he might get, coupled with the fact that he is the worst two-man partner for basically all the most important Mavs players.
Like Reply
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how we ended up with Bertan's and that hellscape of a contract
Hard to imagine a scenario where we could package Dinwiddie with him and get a decent starter back
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 05:47 PM)Jym Wrote: I'm still trying to wrap my head around how we ended up with Bertan's and that hellscape of a contract
Hard to imagine a scenario where we could package Dinwiddie with him and get a decent starter back

Yep.  I think it would probably be easier to move KP contract than Bertans right now.  Unless we could get significant value out of Dinwiddie, it still looks to me like we lost that trade from an asset perspective, especially when we had to throw in a second for some reason.
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 06:15 PM)mvossman Wrote: Yep.  I think it would probably be easier to move KP contract than Bertans right now.  Unless we could get significant value out of Dinwiddie, it still looks to me like we lost that trade from an asset perspective, especially when we had to throw in a second for some reason.

Careful what you wish for. KP missed three out of the last six games. His shooting percentages are trending downwards (15% from 3 in december). Looks a lot like the KP we used to see in Dallas. 
Just cannot deliver more than 6-8 good weeks. Was the same in NY. He started seasons at 25/10 pace and steadily declined as the season progressed. Not to even mention the injuries.

Don´t think the flashes he showed in the first 15-20 games are enough to change the way teams around the league view him. He would need to do show that he can do it for more than a couple of weeks. Show that he can stay healthy.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 05:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) Well I for one watch all the games, so everything I say starts and ends with what I have seen.

2) I have desired SD going to the bench from the very beginning of the season and did not like him starting from day one. But my suggestion of trading him comes from the fact that he is shooting REALLY well and probably has as much trade value as he might get, coupled with the fact that he is the worst two-man partner for basically all the most important Mavs players.

Watching games does not mean you are not potentially affected by outside influences.  Somebody points out subtle details you may not have noticed before, you follow a players stats or on/off numbers and it creates a feedback loop on how you look at said player.  We are all human.  Its almost impossible to not be impacted to some degree by outside influences, and given that most of us don't have perfect basketball knowledge its probably a good thing in general.

Dinwiddie was one of the better two man partners for most of the important players last season with roughly the same sample size.  So what happened?  Did his level of play change that much?  Is it his role?  Does it have something to do with Brunson leaving?  By far his best partner this season is Powell, but last season Powell was one of his worst partners.  What does that mean?  

I think the answer to a lot of these questions is noise.  As I have mentioned many times, on/off numbers are very noisy and if you are going to want to sell of every player who has a bad 35 game sample you are going to find yourself flip flopping on guys all the time.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • AgGiE1991, F Gump
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...8379771907
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsMuse/status/1607503352782266370
Like Reply
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
I mean, I believe it’s most likely that Wood’s camp is interested in hitting FA to get the best deal available. Less about the Mavs FO and more about the rules capping his extension. Still, not great news seeing as though he was talking about being an allstar this year and the coaching staff not helping make that happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 06:26 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Careful what you wish for. KP missed three out of the last six games. His shooting percentages are trending downwards (15% from 3 in december). Looks a lot like the KP we used to see in Dallas. 
Just cannot deliver more than 6-8 good weeks. Was the same in NY. He started seasons at 25/10 pace and steadily declined as the season progressed. Not to even mention the injuries.

Don´t think the flashes he showed in the first 15-20 games are enough to change the way teams around the league view him. He would need to do show that he can do it for more than a couple of weeks. Show that he can stay healthy.

KP was awful. Getting him out of here was absolutely necessary. Give me Dinwiddie/Bertans 10/10 times.
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 08:15 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Still, not great news seeing as though he was talking about being an allstar this year and the coaching staff not helping make that happen.

Yes, if but for the Mavs mean ole coaching staff!!  LOL
Like Reply