Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(04-13-2023, 09:25 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Don't forget about the two 2nds we would still have if they didn't trade the first for a player they never had in their future plans.
Or the other player they may have from the pick, which means we don't have to look at Pinson's butt in a seat.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(04-13-2023, 09:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Or the other player they may have from the pick, which means we don't have to look at Pinson's butt in a seat.

I was just assuming they draft Hardy with the first. Could have also traded down and got Hardy and another 2nd probably.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(04-13-2023, 10:42 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I was just assuming they draft Hardy with the first. Could have also traded down and got Hardy and another 2nd probably.
Ya, that’s how it probably would’ve worked out, but in hindsight, Hardy was available where we took him, so we could’ve had a FRP rookie in addition to him basically.

Could’ve used a SRP or 2 to get rid of the bottom players. Heck, used them to move up 4 spots and take Walker Kessler.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(04-12-2023, 06:58 PM)cow Wrote: Turning 4x JAGs into a rotational piece matters.  The first round pick is the price they paid for poor asset management previously.  Turning those bodies and salaries to a contributor, even if for a year, is pretty far from the Mavs usually terrible management.  Here is the MBT math:

-Those four bodies and 10m contributed zero to the team.
-The projected draft pick would contribute minimally.  
-Christian Wood at the very least would be a rotational piece for a year with the potential of something long term.

Despite how Wood worked out, that's a homerun trade in my view.  With terrible contracts like Powell, THJ and Bertans, the MBT have needed to play Moneyball and find fallen angels like Wood to help round the roster and maybe get lucky.

I could not disagree more. I think they

1 certainly gave up something of value for Wood with the 1st round pick 

2 should not evaluate a young player / draftee on his first year impact 

3 there were other ways to get rid of the contracts of Sterling  Brown, etc but just like the Brunson-situation they preferred to save the money

4 the way they treated Wood was a recipe for disaster from the beginning

The trade blew up im their faces which almost had to expected when they announced they would give him the Noel-treatment (benching him from the start in a contract year). Just mismanaged the whole thing from day 1. I don’t know what else to say to you.

+ It’s baffling that they somehow came to the conclusion that promising McGee the starting spot in the offseason was a good idea. That also played a big role in the Wood-fiasco as it set the tone from day 1.
[-] The following 4 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • ballsrchr, Mavs2021, omahen, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
wood is a good player but the wood trade was a bad one because our team would've begun tanking much earlier in the season without wood and we would've secured a better position in the lottery.
Like Reply
(04-13-2023, 07:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He’s right. Terrible, terrible trade. If you think this little of Wood’s games (as the Mavs) you draft a guy with that pick and let those small dumped contracts expire.

Yet everyone loved the trade when it happened.  I think people are conflating how things played out with Wood/Kidd with the structure of the trade.  Acquiring Wood would cost something but probably not a FRP.  Dumping four bodies would cost something but not a FRP.  Dumping those four bodies for a player who is a contributor for a season at worst and has potential to be part of the team in the long term, that's probably worth a late FRP.  If we want to play the hindsight game, we can go further back and question the means to how those four dumped players were on the roster.  You can dislike the trade now, but I'd be curious of your thoughts for when the trade happened and even if you do dislike it now, I have hard time classifying it as "terrible, terrible".  But maybe I'm viewing the trade through the lens of watching the MBT operate.
Like Reply
(04-14-2023, 02:51 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: I could not disagree more. I think they

1 certainly gave up something of value for Wood with the 1st round pick 

2 should not evaluate a young player / draftee on his first year impact 

3 there were other ways to get rid of the contracts of Sterling  Brown, etc but just like the Brunson-situation they preferred to save the money

4 the way they treated Wood was a recipe for disaster from the beginning

The trade blew up im their faces which almost had to expected when they announced they would give him the Noel-treatment (benching him from the start in a contract year). Just mismanaged the whole thing from day 1. I don’t know what else to say to you.

+ It’s baffling that they somehow came to the conclusion that promising McGee the starting spot in the offseason was a good idea. That also played a big role in the Wood-fiasco as it set the tone from day 1.

They didn't give up a 1st round pick for Wood.  I'd argue the majority of the value of the pick given up was for dumping 10m in salary.  That isn't free or easy to do.  Conceptually, I agree with your overall strategy but the Mavs operate in strange ways.  Judging the trade for how Kidd and company treated Wood is weird as is judging the trade based on how McGee was treated.  It's revisionist history.  I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of the board loved the trade when it happened.

Would you be happier had the Mavs selected Hardy with that FRP?  They'd have the 2SRPs they spent to get Hardy.  No Wood for the season.  And then they'd have the four cast offs which they would have had to jettison in some shape form or fashion.

If Wood had signed an extension or a new contract this offseason, is the trade a success?
Like Reply
(04-14-2023, 01:09 PM)cow Wrote: They didn't give up a 1st round pick for Wood. 

Damn that´s awesome. Quick poll board: Do we take Nembhard, Jaylin Williams or Koloko.

So we traded Trey Burke, Sterling Brown, Boban Marjanovic and Marquese Chriss.

Here is what Houston did with them: WAIVE, WAIVE, WAIVE&RE-SIGN, TRADE&WAIVE.

Total Costs: As much as a league fine for your employees physically and sexually harrassing each other for years or publically admitting to tanking 10 times.
Like Reply
I view the Wood trade as a failure in Nico's scoreboard.  They took a relatively low cost gamble and it didn't work out.   They never really fit and it was obvious the coaching staff, front office and Mark were not fans.   There is an opportunity cost involved though.  Mavs wasted a decent asset to gamble on Wood.   Detroit got Bogdonvich for a first.  Boston got Brogdon for a first.  And Dallas lost an opportunity to draft a young asset, even if you believe Hardy would have been the pick regardless.   With a team already low on assets they really need to take advantage of every one they have.   Looking back, they didn't with Wood.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
(04-14-2023, 02:02 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I view the Wood trade as a failure in Nico's scoreboard.  They took a relatively low cost gamble and it didn't work out.   They never really fit and it was obvious the coaching staff, front office and Mark were not fans.   There is an opportunity cost involved though.  Mavs wasted a decent asset to gamble on Wood.   Detroit got Bogdonvich for a first.  Boston got Brogdon for a first.  And Dallas lost an opportunity to draft a young asset, even if you believe Hardy would have been the pick regardless.   With a team already low on assets they really need to take advantage of every one they have.   Looking back, they didn't with Wood.

Yep, they could have had Wendell Moore Jr. instead.  And Boban, Sterling, Marquese, and Trey.
Like Reply
(04-14-2023, 01:43 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Damn that´s awesome. Quick poll board: Do we take Nembhard, Jaylin Williams or Koloko.

So we traded Trey Burke, Sterling Brown, Boban Marjanovic and Marquese Chriss.

Here is what Houston did with them: WAIVE, WAIVE, WAIVE&RE-SIGN, TRADE&WAIVE.

Total Costs: As much as a league fine for your employees physically and sexually harrassing each other for years or publically admitting to tanking 10 times.

You have to operate somewhat in the reality of a Mark Cuban owned team.  Your poll assumes the Mavs would have taken one of those players which isn't a safe assumption.  The Mavs used their FRP to have Houston waive those players and then get a year of a player who gave them 26 minutes per game at a decent level.  Do I wish the Mavs would operate differently, obviously.  Do I think that's a terrible use of an asset compared to how the MBT normally operate, not even close.

Also, nice selective quoting  I'm fine damning the trade but at least be honest for what the trade actually was.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(04-14-2023, 01:04 PM)cow Wrote: Yet everyone loved the trade when it happened.

I loved the trade, because I saw Wood as an important player. If I would be in charge, I would actually play Wood as an important player. Mavs obviously saw and did the opposite. That is why this trade is bad.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • ballsrchr, Branduil, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...27203?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...72481?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, ItsGoTime, omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
with 10th pic sign Bronnie with dad in tow. . . Sign and trade Kyrie for defensive and rebounding help. . . .

Doncic   Green
Hardy     others in trade package for Lebron
PF
C
Lebron
Like Reply
(04-15-2023, 09:22 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...27203?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...72481?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA

Exactly. 

Its not a problem that one particular move didn't work out, happens to everyone. Mavs problem is that NONE of the moves made after drafting Doncic worked.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(04-15-2023, 12:33 PM)omahen Wrote: Exactly. 

Its not a problem that one particular move didn't work out, happens to everyone. Mavs problem is that NONE of the moves made after drafting Doncic worked.

Absolutely! For years here we had people defending Donnie/Mark/Nico moves saying “next year is where it is important” the next year would come and go and the mantra was the same. Years of losing the offseason and tdl has culminated in where we are.
Like Reply
I hope it eventually comes out what caused the Kidd-Wood rift. From the very beginning it seemed like Kidd had some real animosity towards him that went beyond just an on-court fit
Was there some kind of pre-season disagreement that rubbed Kidd the wrong way? Was Kidd asserting his roster control after originally voting down the trade?
Like Reply
(04-15-2023, 12:33 PM)omahen Wrote: Its not a problem that one particular move didn't work out, happens to everyone. Mavs problem is that NONE of the moves made after drafting Doncic worked.

Well they're due for one to work out by now.

How about a Wemby miracle from way downtown?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
So Mavs effectively used a FRP to dump a couple of BaE level expiring salaries and a couple of vet min. Because they were too cheap to spend the 5 mil or just eat the additional tax. Really shows their commitment to building a contender.

Kevin Gray Jr. on Twitter: "Mavs writer @tim_cato for @TheAthletic joined me on my podcast today to discuss the Mavs disappointing season Here we talk what went wrong with the Christian Wood experiment & if the Mavs ever truly wanted him Pod: https://t.co/r3CRKYGQYn YouTube: https://t.co/sw738mITK8 #MFFL https://t.co/PgbTbYxHWp" / Twitter
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(04-29-2023, 03:39 AM)omahen Wrote: So Mavs effectively used a FRP to dump a couple of BaE level expiring salaries and a couple of vet min. Because they were too cheap to spend the 5 mil or just eat the additional tax. Really shows their commitment to building a contender.

Kevin Gray Jr. on Twitter: "Mavs writer @tim_cato for @TheAthletic joined me on my podcast today to discuss the Mavs disappointing season Here we talk what went wrong with the Christian Wood experiment & if the Mavs ever truly wanted him Pod: https://t.co/r3CRKYGQYn YouTube: https://t.co/sw738mITK8 #MFFL https://t.co/PgbTbYxHWp" / Twitter

LOL
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply