Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
It would not surprise me to find out that Dallas sees itself in the catbird seat regarding Wood.
Precious few teams currently sit with enough cap room to make an offer that C-Wood find acceptable to his read of himself in the market.
Dallas might be expecting teams that want Wood (or vice-versa) needing the Mavs to accommodate a S&T. 
The Mavs also might look at the current situation as a Wood stays without many other suitors for 1 more year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
I couldn't read the Stein report.   Although I saw it mentioned that an extension was either presented or discussed at the deadline.  I think that is what he was hinting at.  If so, that is really weird.  Cause I remember right after the trade deadline games that Wood's minutes drastically declined.    You would think if they were willing to discuss a deal that they would play him more.  Although it appears once they supposedly got no offers that he immediately went to a 15-20 minute player.

It will be interesting to see if Wood eventually buys into a role and excels in it.  I think the Mavs were right to view him as a bench scorer.  They just didn't have the starter type in front of him.  Can he find a role and be good at it like Bobby Portis?   I have no idea what his next several years look like in the NBA.  I could see pretty big variables on which way he goes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Chriswood_5/status/1...76897?s=20
Like Reply
So why the hell did you trade for him!?!?!?!? 

(1) Mavs Film Room ?? on Twitter: "My god Christian Wood has been getting burned in the press by management in the last week lol" / Twitter
Like Reply
(04-11-2023, 05:03 PM)omahen Wrote: So why the hell did you trade for him!?!?!?!? 

(1) Mavs Film Room ?? on Twitter: "My god Christian Wood has been getting burned in the press by management in the last week lol" / Twitter

To dump four expiring contracts that had no possibility of getting minutes for an expiring player that no one else wanted that could get minutes.  It was a good trade because they got to kick the tires on Wood for virtually free.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
^ because…

When the Mavs make a move, we don’t know if it was the GM, assistant GM, head coach or the  analytics department that convinced the owner, and whether the others were on board.
Like Reply
I always viewed the Wood trade as a trial.   I thought the bigger picture was they were counting he would be a better trade asset than the 4 guys they traded if they decided he wasn't a long term fit.

The whole process was cumbersome though.  I had no issue with bringing him off the bench and saying he had to earn his minutes to begin the season.   But most of the guys he was fighting for minutes for were not playing that great either.   I am not sure if the fault is Kidd or Wood or a combination of both on why there was never a reward to wanting him to earn his minutes to begin the year.    I remember hoping if he could see a re-birth like Wiggens with Golden State who had a few rough moments but then two years later was a key piece in a championship run.    Boy, was that wishful thinking.   I will be watching closely to see what his next few years look like.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(04-11-2023, 05:43 PM)cow Wrote: To dump four expiring contracts that had no possibility of getting minutes for an expiring player that no one else wanted that could get minutes.  It was a good trade because they got to kick the tires on Wood for virtually free.

The trade would be good, if they would actually want Wood. Wood in Dallas was exactly the same as he was in Detroit and Houston. Yet Mavs were dissapointed and wanted a different player. That is why I don't understand why they made the trade. 

You don't need to burn a first round pick to dump four small contracts. Actually, the alternative was keep the pick, use cash and perhaps a second rounder to dump three contracts. Or just eat some salary, as they were all expiring. 

And why did they even need to dump them? To sign McGee? If they wouldn't hand out stupid contracts in the first place (Bobi, for example), they wouldn't even need to dump them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(04-12-2023, 01:31 AM)omahen Wrote: The trade would be good, if they would actually want Wood. Wood in Dallas was exactly the same as he was in Detroit and Houston. Yet Mavs were dissapointed and wanted a different player. That is why I don't understand why they made the trade. 

You don't need to burn a first round pick to dump four small contracts. Actually, the alternative was keep the pick, use cash and perhaps a second rounder to dump three contracts. Or just eat some salary, as they were all expiring. 

And why did they even need to dump them? To sign McGee? If they wouldn't hand out stupid contracts in the first place (Bobi, for example), they wouldn't even need to dump them.

It was a good trade no matter the outcome.  Dumping those four contracts would have cost you the late FRP that the Mavs gave up.  Turning that into a contributor is a damned fine trade.
Like Reply
(04-12-2023, 03:54 AM)cow Wrote: Dumping those four contracts would have cost you the late FRP that the Mavs gave up

I disagree it would cost a FRP to dump four small contracts. Options to dump those four deals:
- send a player and cash to a cap space team. Two contracts could be dumped this way (Chriss was on min deal)
- send a SRP for each contract, or even 1 SRP for two, since Chriss was on a min deal. Hardy cost 2 SRP, so two contracts could be sent while still drafting same player
- if Mavs wouldn't be cheap, they could just cut those guys and save on assets in full

To summarize - 5 mil cash and 1 SRP would account for three of those contracts. Mavs had the open roster spot, so they could just keep the fourth guy. But the bottom line. Wood was exactly like he was in previous teams. Mavs didn't want that. I am not against the trade. I am against the trade for a player they obviously didn't even want. 

(04-12-2023, 03:54 AM)cow Wrote: Turning that into a contributor is a damned fine trade.

Oh, I didn't realize Wood was a contributor. Mavs cherish him so much, they can't wait for him to be gone.
Like Reply
(04-12-2023, 04:26 AM)omahen Wrote: Oh, I didn't realize Wood was a contributor. Mavs cherish him so much, they can't wait for him to be gone.

You can't be this dense.
Like Reply
(04-12-2023, 04:26 AM)omahen Wrote: Oh, I didn't realize Wood was a contributor. Mavs cherish him so much, they can't wait for him to be gone.

I do not think that is an accurate depiction of the situation. Mavs are not willing to overpay, and it looks like Kidd is setting the market. 
Now, how Wood sees that is not the Mavs wanting him "gone." Does that mean Wood can't wait to be gone? Not necessarily, but it could mean he is really looking to get paid or comfortable or both - and clearly that was not accomplished this year.

IMO Wood works IF you had a defensive oriented PF, and I would LOVE to see how Kyrie; Luka; Bullock; Ben Simmons; C-Wood starting lineup could matchup. Having Green and Hardy coming off the bench means we are a Big and a wing away from a pretty well rounded rotation. 
Now convincing the Nets that Simmons is washed and they should cut bait (THJ & Bertans w/McGee) is my request of Nico.
Like Reply
(04-12-2023, 11:28 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Now, how Wood sees that is not the Mavs wanting him "gone."

It was already reported Mavs don't plan to make him an offer. 

However some here want to spin it, Wood trade ended up bad. Results didn't improve, Wood value didn't increase. The cost for all of this was a FRP. These are all facts. And (as it looks), he will walk in the summer. 

The fact that the trade turned around badly of course rightfully causes "what if" conversations, which are even more relevant due to overall disastrous moves Mavs FO is making in the past decade plus. My claim is Mavs mismanaged the situation the moment they announced McGee will be a starter. This was a message to Wood they don't value him highly and more importantly, the message to everyone else they don't value him. They managed to destroy even the low value he had in the summer. They shot themselves in the foot. Could have things been different, if Mavs featured Wood as starter, pump his stats and trade him at TDL? I don't know. But for sure they couldn't be worse.

(04-12-2023, 11:14 AM)cow Wrote: You can't be this dense.

Wood obviously isn't important to the Mavs. They don't consider him a contributor. And based on their actions, they never have.
Like Reply
(04-12-2023, 11:28 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Now convincing the Nets that Simmons is washed and they should cut bait (THJ & Bertans w/McGee) is my request of Nico.

Personally, while I love the idea of getting something for the combo of "THJ & Bertans w/McGee," I would hate this trade. Because I think Simmons is indeed washed. The only way the Mavs should want him is if he might have potential to be a good player again, and the more we see, the more overwhelming is the evidence that his days as a useful player are past.

The play is bad.
The mind/attitude is bad.
The health is bad.

And his contract is extremely huge.

No thanks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(04-12-2023, 11:50 AM)omahen Wrote: Wood obviously isn't important to the Mavs. They don't consider him a contributor. And based on their actions, they never have.

How many minutes did Wood get for the Mavs this season?  How many minutes did the four outgoing players we traded for him get with the Mavs the previous season?
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(04-12-2023, 12:05 PM)cow Wrote: How many minutes did Wood get for the Mavs this season?  How many minutes did the four outgoing players we traded for him get with the Mavs the previous season?

What does it matter? In the end you traded a 1st round pick for a player you demoted before the season even started. That´s once again atrocious asset management. If they had kept the pick, taken Hardy, they retain their two 2nd round picks. In combination with our last remaining 1st round pick they could have been used to acquire the whole Lakers/Utah package of Russell, Beasley, Vanderbilt and Bamba on top.

The Mavs always make bad decisions, cause that´s what bad franchises do.

I can give you the exact reasons why they did the Wood trade.

60%: these four other guys should be in China. At least Wood is better. No idea whether he fits the team, no idea whether he fits the coach, but since...
30%: ....we don´t care about first round picks and...
10%: we´ll officially lose Brunson in ten days, let´s throw the fans a bone.

That´s their scary way of thinking.

Also this goes back to the Luka draft. Now that Hardy seems to work out, they pretend like they REALLY REALLY knew. But just like it was with Luka, if they truly knew, they´d have never traded that 25th pick for Wood and they would not have butchered the tank in the Luka draft either.

As we have seen on the final day this year, you don´t win games, you do not want to win. You never put yourself into the position of losing out on Luka Doncic, because of some miracle buzzerbeater.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • omahen, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
Now that the Wood experiment is over, I don’t care much what happens with him unless we resign him. 

That said, Wood was the best shot at doing something different with this season and Kidd only utilized him when there was no other choice. He could have easily been the PF after the Kyrie trade at a time where we needed more size and rebounding. No amount of stat reading will tell me Powell was a better option than Wood throughout the season either. 

Not gonna cry anymore about that spilled milk.

Can we please get a starting caliber C so I don’t have to see Powell in the starting lineup ever again?
Like Reply
(04-12-2023, 04:32 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: What does it matter? In the end you traded a 1st round pick for a player you demoted before the season even started. That´s once again atrocious asset management. If they had kept the pick, taken Hardy, they retain their two 2nd round picks. In combination with our last remaining 1st round pick they could have been used to acquire the whole Lakers/Utah package of Russell, Beasley, Vanderbilt and Bamba on top.

The Mavs always make bad decisions, cause that´s what bad franchises do.

I can give you the exact reasons why they did the Wood trade.

60%: these four other guys should be in China. At least Wood is better. No idea whether he fits the team, no idea whether he fits the coach, but since...
30%: ....we don´t care about first round picks and...
10%: we´ll officially lose Brunson in ten days, let´s throw the fans a bone.

That´s their scary way of thinking.

Also this goes back to the Luka draft. Now that Hardy seems to work out, they pretend like they REALLY REALLY knew. But just like it was with Luka, if they truly knew, they´d have never traded that 25th pick for Wood and they would not have butchered the tank in the Luka draft either.

As we have seen on the final day this year, you don´t win games, you do not want to win. You never put yourself into the position of losing out on Luka Doncic, because of some miracle buzzerbeater.

Turning 4x JAGs into a rotational piece matters.  The first round pick is the price they paid for poor asset management previously.  Turning those bodies and salaries to a contributor, even if for a year, is pretty far from the Mavs usually terrible management.  Here is the MBT math:

-Those four bodies and 10m contributed zero to the team.
-The projected draft pick would contribute minimally.  
-Christian Wood at the very least would be a rotational piece for a year with the potential of something long term.

Despite how Wood worked out, that's a homerun trade in my view.  With terrible contracts like Powell, THJ and Bertans, the MBT have needed to play Moneyball and find fallen angels like Wood to help round the roster and maybe get lucky.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(04-12-2023, 11:14 AM)cow Wrote: You can't be this dense.

He’s right. Terrible, terrible trade. If you think this little of Wood’s game (as the Mavs) you draft a guy with that pick and let those small dumped contracts expire.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • omahen, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
Don't forget about the two 2nds we would still have if they didn't trade the first for a player they never had in their future plans.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 3 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • ItsGoTime, omahen, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply