Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
To make it worse, they aren’t even playing again until Saturday and then Tuesday I think after that. No reason not to play Wood more minutes, especially with Maxi ailing and playing poorly. Not sure what Kidd was thinking. He also has a bad habit of waiting wayyyy too long to call timeouts when the other team makes a run. He did the same last season.
Like Reply
If Kidd continues on with this non-sense of pulling out Wood because of his "get-into the-defense-program-fist-before-you-play-mantra", then he is not just effectively putting the Mavs to a losing position, but also sabotaging a Wood possible re-sign.

It's bad enough when a player that good doesn't start, now pulling him out and making him feel like he is inadequate is just recipe for a less graceful, more hostile Jalen-Brunson like free agency.
Like Reply
I agree with being super conservative about pissing off Wood.  If Luka increases this guys worth around the NBA like we suspect...he can choose a destination city at his choosing.  I wouldnt risk that on a guy thats been bounced around a lot and is reported to have an attitude.  He will be in total control and I guarantee he doesnt have any emotional attachment to Dallas.  Id play him and try and make him look good then feel good.
Like Reply
Reports are coming out that Kidd isn't at all apologetic.
He remains adamant that he made the right decisions.

If he does this again, I'm going to start a FireKidd thread.
Like Reply
Either Wood signs the max extension he’s eligible for by January or we must trade him at the deadline. Can’t make the Brunson mistake again

The FA class is way too weak to allow him to reach the open market
Like Reply
(10-20-2022, 08:10 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: If Kidd continues on with this non-sense of pulling out Wood because of his "get-into the-defense-program-fist-before-you-play-mantra", then he is not just effectively putting the Mavs to a losing position, but also sabotaging a Wood possible re-sign.

It's bad enough when a player that good doesn't start, now pulling him out and making him feel like he is inadequate is just recipe for a less graceful, more hostile Jalen-Brunson like free agency.

This is not my own opinion but what I heard on the radio (can't remember the station). Kidd wanted to play the players from the playoff series to close out the 4th, after the terrible 3rd, and went as far to say that was the plan prior to tip (to show that it was earned and for culture reasons). Stressed that the players from last year earned the right to play in the 4th and that could explain the reluctance from Kidd to insert Wood back in over one of the 2-3 (Kleber/Bullock) that came through in last year's playoffs.

Also, I will repeat it regularly, do not get attached to Wood. Only two outcomes are possible IMO. He plays very well, and the Mavs won't pay him what it will cost to keep, or he starts to dislike his role and/or plays poorly where the Mavs wouldn't want to resign him anyway.
Like Reply
(10-21-2022, 08:35 AM)Smitty Wrote: This is not my own opinion but what I heard on the radio (can't remember the station). Kidd wanted to play the players from the playoff series to close out the 4th, after the terrible 3rd, and went as far to say that was the plan prior to tip (to show that it was earned and for culture reasons). Stressed that the players from last year earned the right to play in the 4th and that could explain the reluctance from Kidd to insert Wood back in over one of the 2-3 (Kleber/Bullock) that came through in last year's playoffs.

Also, I will repeat it regularly, do not get attached to Wood. Only two outcomes are possible IMO. He plays very well, and the Mavs won't pay him what it will cost to keep, or he starts to dislike his role and/or plays poorly where the Mavs wouldn't want to resign him anyway.

Okay so if they had added Giannis he wouldn't have played the 4th since he wasn't on the team last year and hadn't earned the time or had enough time to buy into the culture. Now I feel better about Kidd's decision since it was more about last years guys than additions, some of the dumbest logic I've heard from a coach ever.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dirknows's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(10-21-2022, 08:57 AM)Dirknows Wrote: Okay so if they had added Giannis he wouldn't have played the 4th since he wasn't on the team last year and hadn't earned the time or had enough time to buy into the culture. Now I feel better about Kidd's decision since it was more about last years guys than additions, some of the dumbest logic I've heard from a coach ever.
It certainly points to an inability to adapt to the game being played in front of him.
Like Reply
(10-21-2022, 08:35 AM)Smitty Wrote: to show that it was earned and for culture reasons

I respect this and maybe this is what needs to happen with CW to make sure he really buys in as a teammate here. I am going to give Kidd time and trust that he and Nico know what relationally needs to be done with CW.

And this also affirms that Kidd had a plan "winning be damned" going into the night. As long as he realizes that winning was sacrificed I am ok with that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I’m not ok with it. Kidd just sounds dumb saying that. If these grown ass men can’t handle sitting when they are playing poorly and or sick then they need to grow up, not given the equivalent of shiny gold stars for how great they were in the playoffs last season against the Suns. Neither team is exactly the same. It’s completely arbitrary and sounds like an excuse. Javale McGee was on that Suns team and he started for us. Also, by Kidds logic, the players who finished against GS should all sit during crunch time when we play them? Either Kidd messed up in real time or he had an absurd merit based “game plan” and either is idiotic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(10-21-2022, 08:35 AM)Smitty Wrote: Kidd wanted to play the players from the playoff series to close out the 4th, after the terrible 3rd, and went as far to say that was the plan prior to tip (to show that it was earned and for culture reasons). Stressed that the players from last year earned the right to play in the 4th and that could explain the reluctance from Kidd to insert Wood back in over one of the 2-3 (Kleber/Bullock) that came through in last year's playoffs.

Pretty much what I thought. We can hate it if we want, but this was about Kleber, DFS and Bullock feeling like the work they did last season earning them a place of respect on this team. He's not just going to slide a new guy (non-star) in front of them, he's going to take a little (probably very little) time with it. 

I'm not sure I love it, but I understand it.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
Give a guy that probably isn´t among the ten best players on the roster a starting role over Maxi but have concerns that Wood getting more minutes would upset the hierarchy?
Like Reply
Very good start for Christian but I caution everyone not to jump to conclusions good or bad the first week of the season.  There is a lot things we will find out over the next few months.  For all our players, we need players who can compete in the highest/most important stakes.   We should be able to find out who has and who doesn’t over the course of the season.
Like Reply
(10-21-2022, 11:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Give a guy that probably isn´t among the ten best players on the roster a starting role over Maxi but have concerns that Wood getting more minutes would upseat the hierarchy?
3X nba champion mcgee. Unproven loser Wood. One of the two words this year is accountability. Wood must earn it. This way sends a better message to the team
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-21-2022, 11:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Give a guy that probably isn´t among the ten best players on the roster a starting role over Maxi

Preaching to the choir on that one, my guy.
Like Reply
Mavs made a mistake bringing in Wood if he's this much trouble...after the KP trade failed.

If this was directed at Woods because of known attitude issues...bringing him in might have been a mistake even if cheap.

The logic behind Kidds reasoning has holes in it as others have mentioned.

Only thing I could see is if they are in a Jalen Brunson situation at the TDL...they need to experiment now and do things that might poke the kids attitude to see if he really is a problem.  Maybe benching him in crucial moment of a game was a way to see if he really triggers easy.   Mavs have to know by TDL so they can get something in return.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Part of my problem with the Kidd hire was their were reports of him using “mind games” with players. I just find that approach, in any setting or relationship to be disingenuous and misguided. Just say what your expectations are and he’ll either meet them or not and you have your answer. It’s fine to call people out or occasionally get angry with them— those are all natural human responses to stress or disappointment. Premeditating some scheme to manipulate a response you want from another (adult) human is, frankly, a little weird. Christian Wood isn’t 5 years old. If he’s so problematic don’t trade for him. Just my opinion.
Like Reply
(10-21-2022, 12:09 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Part of my problem with the Kidd hire was their were reports of him using “mind games” with players. I just find that approach, in any setting or relationship to be disingenuous and misguided. Just say what your expectations are and he’ll either meet them or not and you have your answer. It’s fine to call people out or occasionally get angry with them— those are all natural human responses to stress or disappointment. Premeditating some scheme to manipulate a response you want from another (adult) human is, frankly, a little weird. Christian Wood isn’t 5 years old. If he’s so problematic don’t trade for him. Just my opinion.

Wood's past history indicates that at times he acted like he was 5 years old. As for not trading for him, look at what we gave up once again. It was well worth the risk. Kidd has to do his work with him. 

I largely agree with Smitty about Wood's future, but the Mavs need to prove us wrong, because right now, take away Luka, and Wood *is* the Mavericks' talent quotient.

(10-21-2022, 11:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Give a guy that probably isn´t among the ten best players on the roster a starting role over Maxi but have concerns that Wood getting more minutes would upseat the hierarchy?

...and once again, after Luka, Wood *is* the hierarchy. Sorry, cow.
Like Reply
(10-21-2022, 12:09 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Part of my problem with the Kidd hire was their were reports of him using “mind games” with players. I just find that approach, in any setting or relationship to be disingenuous and misguided. Just say what your expectations are and he’ll either meet them or not and you have your answer. It’s fine to call people out or occasionally get angry with them— those are all natural human responses to stress or disappointment. Premeditating some scheme to manipulate a response you want from another (adult) human is, frankly, a little weird. Christian Wood isn’t 5 years old. If he’s so problematic don’t trade for him. Just my opinion.

I agree.

What are the chances though that Mavs were confident in increasing his value and decided to trade for the POSSIBLE trouble maker and have him on a short leash?  If he is trouble...have Luka increase his value by TDL and flip him since he was cheap to acquire anyway.   Just seems like a risky move on a very short timeframe.

Was the letting the kid bring the ball up facilitate during that 16 point run of his....was that to pacify him because of known KP like issues?  IF IF IF so...why would you even bring a guy in like that.

Its all speculation and Wood has a clean slate with me...I know nothing about him other than I liked what I saw in his first outing.   But Kidds reasoning doesnt add up.
Like Reply
(10-21-2022, 12:09 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: “mind games” with players

"Mind games" means he is not communicating clearly and is being inconsistent with what he says and how he behaves (as RC apparently did quite frequently). But every indication is that CW knows exactly what is going on and is buying in to what Kidd is communicating to him.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • F Gump, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply