Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Has Nash Not Been More Effective as Coach?
This post is absolutely not about relitigating the Steve Nash departure that seemingly happened an NBA lifetime ago.

Am I alone with expectations of Nash being more effective as an NBA coach than what he's demonstrated so far?  After all, he seems to have exactly the background many say makes for a good coach; a former player who played beyond their physical skills utilizing a superlative BBIQ.

Steve is smart, clever, articulate.  I anticipated that he would handle players, owners and the media with aplomb.  

Yet, as much as it hurts me to say it:  Steve appears ineffectual in his new role, actually weak.

What am I missing or misunderstanding?
Like Reply
I honestly think that he was under the impression that his players would be more professional. Its really hard to coach when you don't know which of your 3 best players will suit up in a given night.
Like Reply
(10-01-2022, 03:57 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: Yet, as much as it hurts me to say it:  Steve appears ineffectual in his new role, actually weak.

He tried to take a shortcut by getting a gig as a head coach of one of the most talented teams in the pro game without paying his dues as an assistant first. He might have been up to it, but it didn't matter because in that situation the players' voices carry way more wight than his, and they know it. 

Just the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong locker room. Could've happened to Doc Rivers or Kidd or anyone, but with a rookie coach the negatives were exacerbated. That's what I think, at least.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-01-2022, 11:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He tried to take a shortcut by getting a gig as a head coach of one of the most talented teams in the pro game without paying his dues as an assistant first. He might have been up to it, but it didn't matter because in that situation the players' voices carry way more wight than his, and they know it. 

Just the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong locker room. Could've happened to Doc Rivers or Kidd or anyone, but with a rookie coach the negatives were exacerbated. That's what I think, at least.

On the flip side, if you want to be in the coaching game, it's not like you'd turn down the opportunity to be the head coach of any team.

I'm not trying to make excuses for him as I don't think he's done a very good job, but along with having one of the more talented collection of players, those same players have massive egos and are headcases to varying degrees.
Like Reply
I'm not sure how Steve Nash is to blame for anything that has happened in Brooklyn.  He probably shouldn't have taken the job for his own sake, but I think any coach would have failed in a situation where expectations were so high and the players are so mentally defective.
Like Reply
(10-01-2022, 11:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He tried to take a shortcut by getting a gig as a head coach of one of the most talented teams in the pro game without paying his dues as an assistant first. He might have been up to it, but it didn't matter because in that situation the players' voices carry way more wight than his, and they know it. 

Yep, not getting experience as an assistant coach is tough to overcome. I think Kidd had a bumpy ride early on because of that too.
Like Reply
Wait? You think he's actually the coach there? KD brought him in because of his friendship with him and so he'd mainly be a coach in name only. It's kind of like Ty Lue's start, it turned out he actually was a good coach but he needed a chance to actually coach to show it
Like Reply