Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Dragic 1yr/2.9M to CHI
Hardy isn't a point guard anyway.
Like Reply
Yeah, Hardy shouldn't be in the plans for next year.    If for some miracle it does, great.  Hope is not a strategy.

Back to the bat cage I go watching Kyrie Highlights and wondering if maybe the earth really is flat....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:50 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: There has to be another deal in place. And no way we go into the season relying on Hardy in any meaningful way.
As much as we relied on Burke up until we got SD. This is all I’m saying. Last offseason there wasn’t all this trepidation over the 3rd string pg. Not sure why it’s so prevalent this one. Sure, I absolutely want higher quality talent than we have in almost all but 1 place. This team is workable as is and with a defensive showing out by Wood, they will be better IMO. Seems like there is more to this offseason story, only time will tell. If this is it (while adding a player to that last roster spot).

Another thing to be said about needing roster spots for a possible trade being the reason we didn’t get Dragic. Your disdain should be for signing Pinson over Dragic.

(07-03-2022, 03:59 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, Hardy shouldn't be in the plans for next year.    If for some miracle it does, great.  Hope is not a strategy.

Back to the bat cage I go watching Kyrie Highlights and wondering if maybe the earth really is flat....
I mean, Burke shouldn’t have been in the plans for last year, but we do actually live in that world.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Gonna need @"omahen" or @"MAVS-SLO" to find a Slovenian interview, translate it and get to the bottom of this one for us.

If there will be something, we will surrely translate it.

On ther hand, that's a little bit shocking move, which i don't understand. I expected that he will announce his next club in the next week (i expected that he will sign for the Mavs), but few hours after the win with the Slovenia to sign for a Bulls?

https://twitter.com/kzs_si/status/154366...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rtvslo.si%2Fsport%2Fkosarka%2Fliga-nba%2Fgoran-dragic-se-je-dogovoril-za-enoletno-pogodbo-z-biki%2F633062

That video was posted from the Slovenia lockerroom after the win, and here is Goran saying that how he missed it (NT) and that he really doesn't know what will happen (regarding his playing on eurobasket). So from ''i already retired from NT'' to this, it looks like Luka still have influence and power for him to at least thinks about changing his mind (hopefully he will change his mind and play on eurobasket).

What concerns me, is that is Luka at least having some kind of influence in roster building in Dallas?

Were all those rumours incorrect?
Currently i would say yes, knowing Goran, Chicago didn't offer him anything Mavs couldn't. Championship and money. Talk about preffered city is nonsense, he didn't sign for Miami.

I'm not going to judge offseason till the end, but this brings me to the next question. Is Cuban really so stingy (that would be disaster for championship ambitions) or they have some trade plan later in the offseason?

Because losing JB for nothing, not offering a vet min. to Dragic it seems a litlle to much for me if nothing will happen later in the offseason.
[-] The following 3 users Like MAVS-SLO's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
Is his brother Zoran available?  

I think Donald Sterling has/had a better track record with free agency than Mark Cuban.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bayliss's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:55 PM)cow Wrote: Hardy isn't a point guard anyway.

I admit I don’t know anything about his high school career but read that he was a very good assists guy. 

In any case I agree that the Mavs have something else in mind as far as a secondary ball handler than expect much from Hardy this year. At least hopefully they do.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm all for it, but need @"F Gump" to chime in on whether Luka's drat night trade actually does prevent this pairing from happening. 

I have no idea what this is about. No clue in the post you replied to.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 04:02 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: As much as we relied on Burke up until we got SD. This is all I’m saying. Last offseason there wasn’t all this trepidation over the 3rd string pg. Not sure why it’s so prevalent this one. Sure, I absolutely want higher quality talent than we have in almost all but 1 place. This team is workable as is and with a defensive showing out by Wood, they will be better IMO. Seems like there is more to this offseason story, only time will tell. If this is it (while adding a player to that last roster spot).

Another thing to be said about needing roster spots for a possible trade being the reason we didn’t get Dragic. Your disdain should be for signing Pinson over Dragic.

I love this.  Very astute.  McGee, or someone with his skillset was the glaring hole in this roster... by far.  Money/roster priority had to be focused there.  I am not sure why Pinson makes this team over Dragic all things (money) being equal - especially after Brunson walks.

(07-03-2022, 05:20 PM)F Gump Wrote:  I have no idea what this is about. No clue in the post you replied to.

I think he is referring to having 2 players that were traded on the designated rookie max extensions.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But, if this is the plan (I hope it's not) then to me, signs are pointing to a willing step back for the team in order to reduce payroll. 

Failing to sign Dragic had nothing to do with payroll.

Incompetence? Or disinterest? (And if the latter, why?) This feels weird.

But it's not money, or tax. The contract given by CHI is the cheapest you can offer (a minimum salary subsidized by the NBA). And I'm as puzzled as everyone else at the outcome, because Dallas could have definitely signed Dragic. They just didn't.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • mvossman, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 05:03 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I admit I don’t know anything about his high school career but read that he was a very good assists guy. 

In any case I agree that the Mavs have something else in mind as far as a secondary ball handler than expect much from Hardy this year. At least hopefully they do.

He is a secondary ballhandler... scoring combo guard.  He was initiating a lot of offense for Ignite last season, but they didn't have a single person doing it.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 05:24 PM)F Gump Wrote: Failing to sign Dragic had nothing to do with payroll.

But it's not money, or tax. The contract given by CHI is the cheapest you can offer (a minimum salary subsidized by the NBA). And I'm as puzzled as everyone else at the outcome, because Dallas could have definitely signed Dragic. They just didn't.

Definitely going to be a head scratcher for many of us until this offseason plays out.  Seemed like opportunity/availability was there.  Last season when he was bought out, the mavs didn't have a role for him.  Not the case today.  So, they either don't like each other, or there is something else coming that they need the roster spot for - or will fill that role better than he would have.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 05:24 PM)F Gump Wrote: Failing to sign Dragic had nothing to do with payroll.

Not specifically, no. I’m suggesting that I see it as an indication that their thinking might have changed from maximizing this year to regrouping for future ones. I’m not sure though, still watching. The McGee signing would argue against that, of course.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 05:20 PM)F Gump Wrote:  I have no idea what this is about. No clue in the post you replied to.

There has been some confusion over something Stein said in his latest sub stack… That Simmons can’t come here to Dallas because of that rule you and I have been discussing. As if Luka being acquired on draft night via trade applies. 

I can’t imagine that a technical trade like that, wherein a team drafts for another team, and years before the extension was given, would apply. Just wanting your take.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 05:21 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: I think he is referring to having 2 players that were traded on the designated rookie max extensions.

Ah. IOW, is Luka such a player?

I would say no, but the CBA wording is murky as to which players it is indicating. The relevant wording is "acquired by the Team by assignment." Does this refer to the trading of a draft pick, or even to any transaction prior to the signing of the extension? An argument can be made that it doesn't, but clarifying wording is not included in the CBA afaik, so the best I can offer is my best guess.

Edit: Luka is not considered to be a "traded player" for purposes of this rule. Simmons or Mitchell can be added to the Mavs.
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Kammrath, KillerLeft, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply

All things being equal (aka money) good players don´t sign with dumb franchises.

You literally had to do two things in free agency all summer:

1. Re-sign Brunson
2. Us the TP-MLE to find a good young center or defensive guard

The Cavs signed Rubio (TP-MLE), Neto and Robin Lopez (minimum). The Bulls signed Drummond and Dragic (both minimum). The Pacers re-signed Jalen Smith 9/4. The Knicks offered Hartenstein 16/2 to be Mitchell Robinson´s back-up.

The Mavs came up with cheerleader Theo Pinson and 34 year old McGee for 20/3 with a player option as their solution.

You want good players to sign good contracts here instead of grossly overpaying for talent like Pinson/McGee, you´ll have to make smarter decisions.
Like Reply

They have another player they're planning to either sign or trade for.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:15 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I personally don't see Dragic going elsewhere as concerning (at least yet anyway)....I see it as pointing clearly to their not being room on the roster for Dragic. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

So I am really struggling with what trade we could make where we are getting more players back than we send out and completely addressing the third playmaker role?  Any thoughts on what that could be?  I would much rather have Dragic than McGee or Pinson.  The decision to ignore him (assuming this was a Mavs decision vs Dragic) is baffling.  

In addition, we have so much history of having big trades in the works that don't pan out, but we never seem to learn our lesson.  I'm guessing nothing happens and we default to an option significantly worse than Dragic.  

The only reason I don't consider this offseason an F just yet is because I fear their big trade will be even worse than where we are right now (like trading actual assets for Westbrook).  At the moment, its a D at best.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 06:36 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: They have another player they're planning to either sign or trade for.

Could be. Given the Mavs' past history, of the whispers and attempts usually leading nowhere, I'm quite skeptical anything will really happen, but we can wait n see.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 06:46 PM)mvossman Wrote: So I am really struggling with what trade we could make where we are getting more players back than we send out and completely addressing the third playmaker role?

My speculation is KI or BS coming to the Mavs in the KD exchange.
Like Reply
My guess is that a player like THJ or DB might be traded for 2 lesser-salary guys. An example: THJ for Burks-Noel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • khaled1987
Like Reply