Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Dragic 1yr/2.9M to CHI
(07-03-2022, 03:18 PM)Kammrath Wrote: He was functionally "the man" on that team, carrying the lion's share on ball handling duties and carrying the load as the playmaker.

I don't disagree, and I like the pick (more than you, initially). 

But, if this is the plan (I hope it's not) then to me, signs are pointing to a willing step back for the team in order to reduce payroll. You can make an argument that this philosophy was the best and most sensible option once Brunson was gone, but I'm not trying to reason on that level right now. 

Right now, for me, it's either a big trade we don't currently see coming or:

SCORCHED EARTH!
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 02:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The Mavs currently have three people who can dribble

I'm just glad you have come around to seeing DFS's ineptitude. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
kidd and shammgod can dribble.  check and mate

[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
Mavs Twitter is even saltier than we are. 

https://twitter.com/Glenjr1988/status/1543689838343372800?s=20&t=1rkgVg_TEqmIJhQGKTv4VA
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't disagree, and I like the pick (more than you, initially). 

But, if this is the plan (I hope it's not) then to me, signs are pointing to a willing step back for the team in order to reduce payroll. You can make an argument that this philosophy was the best and most sensible option once Brunson was gone, but I'm not trying to reason on that level right now. 

Right now, for me, it's either a big trade we don't currently see coming or:

SCORCHED EARTH!
Hardy can’t be any worse than Trey freakin Burke in the same role when we started last season!!!
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I'm just glad you have come around to seeing DFS's ineptitude. Smile

Time for a new should Kamm continue to be a moderator thread.  

[Image: get-a-rope-cowboy.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:31 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Hardy can’t be any worse than Trey freakin Burke in the same role when we started last season!!!

Well currently, he'd be in either Brunson or Dinwiddie's role when they ended last season, by my reckoning. 

In the Burke role...yeah, I can maybe see that. But it's still a risk. I do think Burke would be the preferable option for a team that thinks it's a contender hoping to navigate a 20 game stretch wherein they're missing one or more of their primary ball-handlers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Kemba here we come...
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • khaled1987, KillerLeft
Like Reply
When I said Dragic, I meant Zoran.

[Image: UnacceptableTightGeese-max-1mb.gif]
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Mavs Twitter is even saltier than we are. 

Cuban liking those comments makes me think he has something BIG brewing to rub in their faces. That feels like what he would do.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • Mavsfan12, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Cuban liking those comments makes me think he has something BIG brewing to rub in their faces. That feels like what he would do.

I am hoping you're right like I've never hoped for anything before.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I am hoping you're right like I've never hoped for anything before.

The though of having a full compliment of first round draft picks was a nice dream.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
The Knicks are totally signing Goran and Tobey next offseason to 4 year deals.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:40 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: The Knicks are totally signing Goran and Tobey next offseason to 4 year deals.

Those guys would have been an easy upgrade to the end of our bench for the last few seasons.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well currently, he'd be in either Brunson or Dinwiddie's role when they ended last season, by my reckoning. 

In the Burke role...yeah, I can maybe see that. But it's still a risk. I do think Burke would be the preferable option for a team that thinks it's a contender hoping to navigate a 20 game stretch wherein they're missing one or more of their primary ball-handlers.
I think if we were talking like the team was fine as we entered the season last year. What we look like now is very similar to that as far as ball handling. The reports at the TDL were that we needed ball handling and shooting. In light of what we know now, are we sure that was for additional ball handling, or as insurance for what they figured was about to happen? 

I would suggest that they want to spread out the ball handling duties throughout the roster. In all honesty, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wood bring the ball up and start the offense at times. He looks like he has those type of handles to me, esp considering the defender he’ll be opposite from.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:44 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I would suggest that they want to spread out the ball handling duties throughout the roster.

All for that, but you still need three guys on the roster who can play PG.

I don't think Hardy qualifies, and we basically already know Ntilikina doesn't. 

We'll see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Good, in the sense that they're planning to give the kid a chance.

Bad, in the sense that he's very likely not ready to succeed, even in such a small role.

The theory about Hardy is pretty good too. I sort of unreasonably loved that pick and think the Mavs may have found a gem (I know he’s a second round pick and I usually don’t have any opinion on players like that). If the Mavs believe in him and  want to see what he can do with 15 minutes a night, I’d be on board. Dragic would just be a progress stopper in that case. Bottom line for me, I didn’t think they should sign Dragic in the first place, so I’m fine with this outcome, unless it was actually a swing and a miss, which would only add fuel to the fire in whether the Mavs can execute.
Like Reply
I really hope they pick up someone else. Leaving the final roster spot open when you still need another PG would not be smart. Luka will exhaust himself even more handling the ball every possession and you just don't know if Dinwiddie's knees will hold up. IF Hardy gets on the court at all, it will probably just be at SG. Trades can happen at any time but you don't want to be caught empty-handed if no good trade is available and then you missed out on all of the remaining PGs.

Getting Kemba would not be the worst thing to happen. Obviously he is declining but we're also comparing to an old Dragic. We just need a proven PG who can score 10+ and Kemba may even give you one of those random hot shooting games where he goes off for 30+

Dennis Schroder - not a good shooter but probably the best overall PG still available. His stock around the league is pretty low but if Kidd wants to give him a shot (familiarity from their time in LA), he'd be worth a try

Avery Bradley - more of a SG who can handle the ball some but would be the best 3 and D option. 

DJ Augustin - best shooter out of the remaining PG options
Like Reply
There has to be another deal in place. And no way we go into the season relying on Hardy in any meaningful way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 03:50 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: And no way we go into the season relying on Hardy in any meaningful way.

This is my instinct as well.

Happy they drafted him, don't get me wrong.
Like Reply