Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT
Is Kidd going to keep invoking 2011 at every opportunity now. Like Guiliani with his incessant 9/11 call-backs?

Why does Kidd always speak like he’s reading his children a bed time story?! Seriously, the film study sessions aren’t sticking because he’s making everyone go sleepy time.
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 02:31 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Well, at least Cuban knows his politics.

Considering that he sold the team to the Adelsons the only takeaway is that he thinks Trump would be bad for business. Dem/GOP, Left/Right doesn't really matter as long as he makes his money.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, RoyTarpleysGhost, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Alrighty gonna shut that politics train down as it's definitely not going to go anywhere good. Lets keep that in ROTW if possible lol

Another question, has there ever been a moment in NBA history where a team has statistically the best defense in the NBA for 7 straight games and then immediately follows it up with a 7 game stretch of the worst defense in the NBA? I literally cannot think of any time that has ever happened.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 02:51 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Alrighty gonna shut that politics train down as it's definitely not going to go anywhere good. Lets keep that in ROTW if possible lol

Another question, has there ever been a moment in NBA history where a team has statistically the best defense in the NBA for 7 straight games and then immediately follows it up with a 7 game stretch of the worst defense in the NBA? I literally cannot think of any time that has ever happened.

Maybe one of the post champion Warriors teams when they coasted through the regular season? Probably still better than some of the tanking teams. Talking about tanking teams. Ranking last over the last 7 games means that the Mavs are worse than the Pistons, Hornets or Wizards. That alone should trigger an instant coaching change.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 02:35 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Luka Doncic last 6 Games:

39-10-11
38-11-10
37-12-11
30-10-16
45-09-14
33-06-06

Jordan-esque!

Yet, the Mavs are suffering the blues. They've gone 1-5... and have an atrocious 127.3 defensive rating over that stretch. :\

I do daily fantasy on fanduel.  Luka is far and away the best offensive player based on FFPG this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 02:41 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Considering that he sold the team to the Adelsons the only takeaway is that he thinks Trump would be bad for business. Dem/GOP, Left/Right doesn't really matter as long as he makes his money.

Oh, indeed.  $ knows no political persuasion.
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 03:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Maybe one of the post champion Warriors teams when they coasted through the regular season? Probably still better than some of the tanking teams. Talking about tanking teams. Ranking last over the last 7 games means that the Mavs are worse than the Pistons, Hornets or Wizards. That alone should trigger an instant coaching change.

That's exactly what it means.  But it would certainly help if their two stars played with more conviction on defense.  Luka needs to cut out the ref-baiting and get back on D.

(03-06-2024, 03:25 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: I do daily fantasy on fanduel.  Luka is far and away the best offensive player based on FFPG this year.

But his team's success, or lack thereof is going to cost him the MVP. He won't beat out Jokic, Tatum, or SGA with the Mav's current record.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 03:32 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Oh, indeed.  $ knows no political persuasion.

Glad you're back.  I like posters who stir it up a bit.
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 03:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Maybe one of the post champion Warriors teams when they coasted through the regular season? Probably still better than some of the tanking teams. Talking about tanking teams. Ranking last over the last 7 games means that the Mavs are worse than the Pistons, Hornets or Wizards. That alone should trigger an instant coaching change.

I'm really at a loss for words after reading that. It's malpractice for Kidd to continue after such a stretch. 

It's one thing to have a bad run of games, but from the tweet I've posted above, this team is consistently inconsistent. 2 week runs of looking serious followed up with some of the worst basketball in the league (this run being the literal worst).

Just flat out unacceptable when you have freaking Luka Doncic on the squad and by in large the most talent 1-8 we've ever had around him.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 03:35 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: But his team's success, or lack thereof is going to cost him the MVP.  He won't beat out Jokic, Tatum, or SGA with the Mav's current record.

Agree, except with Tatum.  IMO he's the most overhyped player in the NBA, a tier lower than Luka, Jokic, SGA, Embiid, and Giannis.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Perhaps I'm knee-jerking, but my feeling and opinion in monitoring the X feed is that this is (at least so far - there are two business hours left in the day) the most embarrassing day to be a Mavs fan since the day Brunson signed with the Knicks.

It takes a really profoundly stupid FO to retain Jason Kidd today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Just digging into some of the guys we've been talking about during this stretch:

Kyrie has had some mind boggling defensive choices, but offensively I'm not sure where this team is in this 6 game stretch without him. He's been putting up 26/5/3 on 47/41/100 splits. Aside from Boston he's been great offensively. Of course trying not to beat the dead horse but yes his defense has been bad. I've said it before but I really believe its a coaching issue than the personnel. I can literally repeat over and over for all these guys that the defense has been horrific, so I'm not going to continue doing that to save time.

Green has really fallen down to earth during this 6 game stretch. Before he was hovering close to 12ppg and shooting a blistering 55/50/91 from the field. Since? 6.8ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.0 apg on 47% from the field and 31% from 3.

Exum since returning from injury has been getting less than 14mpg, but in those minutes he's looked like a ghost out there. He's putting up 3.3/2/2 on 37.5/50/75. It feels like Kidd is doing everything in his power to limit Exum's minutes in the hopes of preserving him. Overall he's been pretty awful.

Lively is by far the best of the bunch here. He's been the most impactful guy in some games. This is NOT Lively bashing at all. Again, he's been solid all things considering. But from where he was before this stretch, he's taken a small step back. Absolutely normal in a rookie season. Averages are 6.8ppg and 3.5rpg. The biggest hit has been his rebounding but that also coincides with a drastically reduced role minutes wise. He's getting less than 20 a game. Before his broken nose he was getting 26 a game. Is Kidd being cautious? Or does he just prefer Maxi more?

Speaking of Maxi...he has been probably the worst guy on our team during this stretch. And that's incredible given how bad THJ has been playing (THJ averages just for context: 8.2/3/1 on 33/34/100). What has Maxi been doing on offense? 2.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.2 apg, on 16.7% from the field (that's not a typo), 20% from 3, and 67% from the line. Now Maxi is not a boxscore player. His impact lies beyond numbers. He hasn't been as bad as the paper tells us. But at the end of the day we need more than 2 points in 23 minutes of action. 

When 5 rotation guys numbers fall off a cliff all at the same time, it speaks to something larger at play. If the Mavs just had 2 of these guys playing like they were pre all-star break I think we're looking at much different results.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 03:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm really at a loss for words after reading that. It's malpractice for Kidd to continue after such a stretch. 

It's one thing to have a bad run of games, but from the tweet I've posted above, this team is consistently inconsistent. 2 week runs of looking serious followed up with some of the worst basketball in the league (this run being the literal worst).

Just flat out unacceptable when you have freaking Luka Doncic on the squad and by in large the most talent 1-8 we've ever had around him.

Something that is going around Mavs related social media right now...

Mavs rotation in 2022 (4th seed), WCF

Doncic/Dinwiddie
Brunson/(Ntilikina)
Bullock/(Green)
DFS/Bertans
Powell/Kleber

Somehow better than the current team.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 04:06 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Just digging into some of the guys we've been talking about during this stretch:

Kyrie has had some mind boggling defensive choices, but offensively I'm not sure where this team is in this 6 game stretch without him. He's been putting up 26/5/3 on 47/41/100 splits. Aside from Boston he's been great offensively. Of course trying not to beat the dead horse but yes his defense has been bad. I've said it before but I really believe its a coaching issue than the personnel. I can literally repeat over and over for all these guys that the defense has been horrific, so I'm not going to continue doing that to save time.

Feels like he scored half of those points in garbage time. Even more passive in the first half than he usually is. But that also goes along with Luka trying to do even more things by himself when the team is struggling.
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 04:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Something that is going around Mavs related social media right now...

Mavs rotation in 2022 (4th seed), WCF

Doncic/Dinwiddie
Brunson/(Ntilikina)
Bullock/(Green)
DFS/Bertans
Powell/Kleber

Somehow better than the current team.

Feels like those Mavs still had the residuals from Rick with new positivity from a lighter coach. Like how Barry's Cowboy teams were good for awhile after Jimmy left, still functioning based on his old discipline. But each year there after, they got worse and worse the farther away they were from a real coach.
[-] The following 5 users Like LifeAquatic's post:
  • ballsrchr, From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
@nickvanexit
Despite the 4 losses out of 5 for the Mavs, they've finally found a good starting lineup

Luka, Kyrie, Green, PJ, Lively in just 72 minutes

Offensive Rating: 133.3
Defensive Rating: 112.9
Net Rating: +20.4
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 04:06 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Just digging into some of the guys we've been talking about during this stretch:

Green has really fallen down to earth during this 6 game stretch. Before he was hovering close to 12ppg and shooting a blistering 55/50/91 from the field. Since? 6.8ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.0 apg on 47% from the field and 31% from 3.

Exum since returning from injury has been getting less than 14mpg, but in those minutes he's looked like a ghost out there. He's putting up 3.3/2/2 on 37.5/50/75. It feels like Kidd is doing everything in his power to limit Exum's minutes in the hopes of preserving him. Overall he's been pretty awful.

Lively is by far the best of the bunch here. He's been the most impactful guy in some games. This is NOT Lively bashing at all. Again, he's been solid all things considering. But from where he was before this stretch, he's taken a small step back. Absolutely normal in a rookie season. Averages are 6.8ppg and 3.5rpg. The biggest hit has been his rebounding but that also coincides with a drastically reduced role minutes wise. He's getting less than 20 a game. Before his broken nose he was getting 26 a game. Is Kidd being cautious? Or does he just prefer Maxi more?

Speaking of Maxi...he has been probably the worst guy on our team during this stretch. And that's incredible given how bad THJ has been playing (THJ averages just for context: 8.2/3/1 on 33/34/100). What has Maxi been doing on offense? 2.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.2 apg, on 16.7% from the field (that's not a typo), 20% from 3, and 67% from the line. Now Maxi is not a boxscore player. His impact lies beyond numbers. He hasn't been as bad as the paper tells us. But at the end of the day we need more than 2 points in 23 minutes of action. 

When 5 rotation guys numbers fall off a cliff all at the same time, it speaks to something larger at play. If the Mavs just had 2 of these guys playing like they were pre all-star break I think we're looking at much different results.

And you didn't even mention THJ, who is still playing rotational minutes.

Whoever they get to be the new coach (when the FO returns to sanity), it had better be someone who can teach JG to fight through screens.
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 04:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @nickvanexit
Despite the 4 losses out of 5 for the Mavs, they've finally found a good starting lineup

Luka, Kyrie, Green, PJ, Lively in just 72 minutes

Offensive Rating: 133.3
Defensive Rating: 112.9
Net Rating: +20.4

Getting Lively back going is such a key imo.   He helps so many small things when he is productive.  It hasn't happened much lately and I am not sure why.  Rookie wall?   Playing against stretch centers has been an issue.   Why does it feel so much bigger issue now?  Early in the season, Lively had trouble against the really good post scorers, but he was still effective on the court with everything else he does.    We need to feed him minutes.  Now is not the time to reduce his minutes.  You have to hope he plays through it.   

My vision is Gafford would provide some of what Lively does.   Not everything.  I still think he should get 20 minutes a night..at least.  Sort of surprising how both Gafford and Lively have struggled on defense lately.

Getting Lively, Green and Exum playing well is the key imo.   They don't need to be studs but they need to play like they have earlier in the season.   Maxi to a point as well, but I want to be careful with his minutes (15-20).   
I assume we are not going to rid ourselves with Hardaway this year, but I don't care.   He is old news for me and hopefully gone this offseason.  Getting Lively, Green, and Exum playing to their potential is my number one focus.   PJ too.   I hope less threes more shots in the lane.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Omax shot 4-4 from three last night in the G League. 7 for 11 overall. Had 10 rebounds too. He has been shooting the ball really well lately. Something to continue to watch.
[-] The following 7 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-06-2024, 05:35 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Omax shot 4-4 from three last night in the G League.  7 for 11 overall.  Had 10 rebounds too.  He has been shooting the ball really well lately.  Something to continue to watch.
Omax, Hardy, Lawson. These guys should get a chance to crack the rotation
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • ballsrchr, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply