Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(02-24-2024, 08:53 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I brought up Gordon either before or right after the trade was made.  I hedged saying I wasn't really sure of PJ's game and I thought Gordon was a little bit bigger, a little more skilled, and a little more athletic. 

Gordon's stats are nothing special...especially considering who he plays with.  30% from three.  14 points per game.  6.5 rebounds.   But he has found a role and plays it well for one of the best teams in the league.  I don't know if Gordon is considered the 3 or 4, but he is a good match with Porter.  Both guys are big.   Porter is more of the wild card.  A guy who can get you 30 with some really tough shots.   Gordon is more of your guy who does a little bit of everything and fills in when needed.   Can PJ do that with the Mavs?

I've heard someone (I think Dameris and Followill) refer to PJ as a Swiss Army knife which I take to mean he does a little of everything (but not great at any one thing).  Gordon is about an inch taller and PJ is probably 10 pounds heavier.  But, PJ's wingspan is 2.5 inches more (but Gordon is probably the better vertical jumper).  In many ways, they are kind of the same guy.  Gordon made the transition from thinking he was a star (on a bad team) to being an important role player on a good team through defense.  PJ has done it for four games now, so less entrenched.  If he keeps up the effort his is not the position that needs to be replaced.  I think Green, Exum and Maxi are also Swiss Army knives.

One thing to watch...Luka and Kyrie have been on scoring heaters since PJ and Gafford started playing with us.  Green is really the only one hitting his 3's other than the stars (Hardy is too, but Kidd doesn't tend to play him as much against strong opponents).  Maxi is 36% on low volume in these four games and as I mentioned earlier THJ, PJ and DJJ are below the Mendoza line (I wonder what the Mendoza line is in Basketball?  .250?  .300?).  We haven't really seen the peak version of this yet offensively unless the plan is for Kyrie and Luka to get 70 per night (they've averaged 60 a night the last four games).  The upside from a shooting standpoint obviously will largely come from THJ.  Since Green and PJ aren't probably high volume guys (capable, but not high volume).  Most of the bad defensive lineups since the trade include either THJ or Hardy, but trading for someone who can generate offense and defend is super expensive.  I think the better opportunity to move from THJ might come at the next TDL (when is really is expiring and the 2025 pick and maybe a 2026 swap are more tangible and right around the corner)
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BigDirk41, Chicagojk, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-24-2024, 10:43 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I've heard someone (I think Dameris and Followill) refer to PJ as a Swiss Army knife which I take to mean he does a little of everything (but not great at any one thing).  Gordon is about an inch taller and PJ is probably 10 pounds heavier.  But, PJ's wingspan is 2.5 inches more (but Gordon is probably the better vertical jumper).  In many ways, they are kind of the same guy.  Gordon made the transition from thinking he was a star (on a bad team) to being an important role player on a good team through defense.  PJ has done it for four games now, so less entrenched.  If he keeps up the effort his is not the position that needs to be replaced.  I think Green, Exum and Maxi are also Swiss Army knives.

One thing to watch...Luka and Kyrie have been on scoring heaters since PJ and Gafford started playing with us.  Green is really the only one hitting his 3's other than the stars (Hardy is too, but Kidd doesn't tend to play him as much against strong opponents).  Maxi is 36% on low volume in these four games and as I mentioned earlier THJ, PJ and DJJ are below the Mendoza line (I wonder what the Mendoza line is in Basketball?  .250?  .300?).  We haven't really seen the peak version of this yet offensively unless the plan is for Kyrie and Luka to get 70 per night (they've averaged 60 a night the last four games).  The upside from a shooting standpoint obviously will largely come from THJ.  Since Green and PJ aren't probably high volume guys (capable, but not high volume).  Most of the bad defensive lineups since the trade include either THJ or Hardy, but trading for someone who can generate offense and defend is super expensive.  I think the better opportunity to move from THJ might come at the next TDL (when is really is expiring and the 2025 pick and maybe a 2026 swap are more tangible and right around the corner)

It will be interesting to see where Hardaway lands when everyone is healthy.  I thought DJJ would get pushed to reserve status, but Kidd really seems to value his defense.   Maybe he is left out though when everyone is healthy.  There is a minutes crunch.  Against the Suns, the one three Hardaway hit was probably the shot I had biggest dislike when he shot it.    For me, it all depends on the team defense.  If this team can be a tad above average on defense, Hardaway could be your wild card.  If he shoots 4-13 it doesn't kill you but if he goes 6-10 from 3, it just is another thing that makes it hard for teams to stay close to you.  The team defense is the key though.   If it is a you make, they make type of game, then I would be less interested to see Hardaway.  But if our defense is solid and Luka and Kyrie are playing like stars, Hardaway could be another notch to really overwhelm teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(02-24-2024, 10:43 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I've heard someone (I think Dameris and Followill) refer to PJ as a Swiss Army knife which I take to mean he does a little of everything (but not great at any one thing).  Gordon is about an inch taller and PJ is probably 10 pounds heavier.  But, PJ's wingspan is 2.5 inches more (but Gordon is probably the better vertical jumper).  In many ways, they are kind of the same guy.  Gordon made the transition from thinking he was a star (on a bad team) to being an important role player on a good team through defense.  PJ has done it for four games now, so less entrenched.  If he keeps up the effort his is not the position that needs to be replaced.  I think Green, Exum and Maxi are also Swiss Army knives.

I agree with the analysis of PJ and the comparison to Aaron Gordon is a good one. 

However, he IS capable of being a high-volume catch and shoot guy, that’s where his 30-40point games come from. He’s just not consistent yet. I’m maybe his biggest believer here, and I LOVE the defense, transition movement, closeout attacking and boxing out…but, he needs to become a GREAT catch and shoot player (maybe not Hardaway/Hield, but CERTAINLY on the level of Green or DFS) to hold onto his role here into the future. I think he will.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply

Can you define or try and box in "generate offense" and "super expensive"

Genuinely asking.
Like Reply
Great analysis here.

https://youtu.be/6kF9_crE0zg?si=o5iBam-ek9ABZPWt
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-24-2024, 08:53 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I brought up Gordon either before or right after the trade was made.  I hedged saying I wasn't really sure of PJ's game and I thought Gordon was a little bit bigger, a little more skilled, and a little more athletic. 

Gordon's stats are nothing special...especially considering who he plays with.  30% from three.  14 points per game.  6.5 rebounds.   But he has found a role and plays it well for one of the best teams in the league.  I don't know if Gordon is considered the 3 or 4, but he is a good match with Porter.  Both guys are big.   Porter is more of the wild card.  A guy who can get you 30 with some really tough shots.   Gordon is more of your guy who does a little bit of everything and fills in when needed.   Can PJ do that with the Mavs?

I disagreed strongly with your Aaron Gordon/PJ comparison at the time of the trade.  

Thus far, PJ's defense has been much better than I anticipated.  

We will have to see if he keeps it up though.  I still find it troublesome that PJ played out this year at Charlotte essentially not trying on defense.  He was a negative defender on DPM and LEBRON prior to the trade.   He's been amazing since the trade though.  My concern is that defensive intensity might drop at some point.  So far though, so great. 

His ability to handle and finish at the rim have also exceeded my expectations.  We'll need him to shoot better from 3 but the shot looks fine and the sample size is really low.   

That's looking like a winning move thus far even though I still believe we should have better protected the 2027 pick.  

Grant Williams has played well for Charlotte since the trade as well so I believe both teams love the trade thus far.
Like Reply
I assure you Aaron Gordon's defense is far more smothering than PJ Williams. Can guard 1-5 no problem. Aaron Gordon athletically moves around like a football running back...PJ moves around like a long basketball player.

Aaron is far more twitchy muscle wise

Gordon has a bad shot and not a deep bag of tricks in the paint. That defense though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(02-24-2024, 11:42 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Can you define or try and box in "generate offense" and "super expensive"

Genuinely asking.

I'll try.  

Players who generate offense don't need another teammate to create good shots for them.  THJ, for example, requires others to create good looks for him.  On our current team, Luka and Kyrie are both brilliant at generating offense.  Hardy can create as well although inefficiently.  PJ and Josh Green can both create a bit.  THJ and Kleber and the centers don't create at all.  

Players who are good at creating offense are generally very expensive.  For example, Jordan Poole signed a 4-year, $128 million dollar deal because he is good at creating for himself.  Kuzma is considered to have a good contract because he's at 4-years, $90 million and he can generate offense.  

We might not be able to afford another player who is good at generating offense both in terms of salary and assets to acquire.  We're better off limiting our future targets to players who are good defenders and above-average 3-point shooters.  The hope is that Jaden Hardy continues to improve and becomes our creator off the bench.
[-] The following 3 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
One point about the idea of trades and better players: even with the owners with deep pockets, the Mavs have to be careful (and limited) with the contracts. The point being, that eliminates a lot of ideas for upgrades.

If they simply keep and develop this same set of players, and the players all want to stay, they are over apron 1 already this summer, and will edge near and maybe above apron 2 as deserving players get re-signed. Having and maintaining a roster at greater than Apron 2 harms your draft assets, so staying under Apron 2 is probably the target.

Re staying under the 2nd apron (~$189.5M), here are the broad parameters of their payroll.

SUPERSTARS (2) - total $85M
Luka Kyrie

NON-ROTATION SCRUBS (4) - total $8M
anyone, including rookies, longshot veterans

ROTATION (9) - total ~$97M
notice the average is about $10.8M, less than MLE

In the hypothetical scenario where the roster stays the same, this summer DJJ gets re-signed to $5M (TxP MLE being the most they can offer), and with 2 minimums filling out the roster they are over Apron 1. They will also have 2 TPE's that they could use to add a player (instead of minimums), one for about $4.95M and the other for $4M, and still stay below Apron 2.

It gets harder in the summer of 2025. THJ contract expires (if they don't extend him before then) and theoretically they try to sign him for a number a bit closer to MLE, but Hardy, Exum, and perhaps DJJ would also be FAs and needing a raise. Just keeping the players they have, while staying under Apron 2, would be a challenge.

The point being, if you add a player making $20M, you will effectively have to thin your rotation, and is that really a plus? In some ways there's value in the defensive player who can hit a shot but isn't a primary scorer (Exum, Green, DJJ, PJW), in the fact they are affordable enough to allow you to fill out your rotation fully.
[-] The following 9 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan, From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, MFFL, mvossman, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-24-2024, 11:42 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Can you define or try and box in "generate offense" and "super expensive"

Genuinely asking.

Generate offense is kind of self explanatory don't you think? It is someone that can create open looks consistently for themselves or others. Usually open shots go in at a much higher rate than contested ones. The location of the shots matter too. Do we want more open threes? More dunks? More midrange looks? Depending on what we're looking for I can give you a different answer for all three questions.

THJ for example can take and make some of the most contested difficult shots on the court, but he's not consistent. Exum can generate plenty of high percentage looks for himself and others, but he isn't available enough healthwise. Green is hyper efficient and almost every shot he takes is open, but he hasn't shown the volume to prove he can create a high quality look if needed.

The guys who CAN do that, and do it consistently while playing amazing defense are usually upper echelon guys. Those guys cost a lot. High contracts at the minimum starting 25mil+, and cost generally multiple 1sts along with prospects.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
All the more reason to continue to develop Green, Hardy, OMax and even Lively. Both in relation to what FGump is saying and the “generating offense” conversation. Having a well-rounded roster, wherein every player can do a bit of everything will be the future in the new CBA. Glad to see our front office got the memo. 

Instead of having a “3rd scorer” we will have a bunch of them, ala Denver or OKC.
[-] The following 4 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd, The Jom
Like Reply
Brad Townsend (@townbrad)
Hoo boy. Hearing from quite a few Mavs season ticket holders. Here’s a small sampling.

[Image: 1761466250142654940_0.jpg?ex=65ecb23c&is...eight=1016][Image: 1761466250142654940_1.jpg?ex=65ecb23c&is...eight=1016]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
How many arenas have pre-historic seats and indoors waterfall. The hike was overdue for all the experience.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Brad Townsend (@townbrad)
Kidd says Exum practiced in full today, ran with the second team. He will not play at Indiana tomorrow, but the plan is for him to practice on Monday and perhaps be able to play Tuesday at Cleveland.

Mavs wrapping up practicing in Dallas now. Fly to Indianapolis later today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
(02-24-2024, 11:53 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Great analysis here.

https://youtu.be/6kF9_crE0zg?si=o5iBam-ek9ABZPWt

I thought he made an interesting point about DJJ's point scored in catch and shoot situations (or some such).  Note it wasn't catch and shoot shots.  It was situations.  In other words, when you add his ability/knack for getting to the hole efficiently in these scenarios to his very average outside shot, then DJJ becomes more acceptable in the corner.  That ability to drive and score in these situations is all the more impressive when you think that he's not really beating bad closeouts (because no one is really trying to close out on him).
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-24-2024, 02:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I thought he made an interesting point about DJJ's point scored in catch and shoot situations (or some such).  Note it wasn't catch and shoot shots.  It was situations.  In other words, when you add his ability/knack for getting to the hole efficiently in these scenarios to his very average outside shot, then DJJ becomes more acceptable in the corner.  That ability to drive and score in these situations is all the more impressive when you think that he's not really beating bad closeouts (because no one is really trying to close out on him).
I think it was Iztok that said he was our best POA defender. I think Exum looked every bit as good. I have Green right behind them, but a better shooter so the clear first option. On nights when Green is having trouble staying in front of a certain guard or nights when we feature the Maxi small ball lineup i see Jones Jr playing important minutes 

If Jones were to get hot from 3 around playoff time he could cement himself in the playoff 8 

Luka
Kyrie
Green
PJ
Lively
Maxi
Exum because dribbling and perimeter defense suddenly becomes important and who else can dribble?

DJJ
THJ
Gafford
These 3 will all play, but they’re specialty players and could have an increased or decreased role depending on matchups. DJJ has the ideal makeup for playoffs if he can shoot
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
To me, DJJ looks like our best defender on guys who don’t outweigh him by 30 lbs. So not LeBron. Not Giannis. Not Julius Randle. But almost everybody else under 6-11. I absolutely LOVE Exum on both sides of the ball. But his steady play doesn’t look to me like the kind of thing that will cause superstars to underperform over a 7-game series. DJJ on the other hand, just made KD look rather pedestrian.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(02-24-2024, 06:00 PM)The Jom Wrote: To me, DJJ looks like our best defender on guys who don’t outweigh him by 30 lbs. So not LeBron. Not Giannis. Not Julius Randle. But almost everybody else under 6-11. I absolutely LOVE Exum on both sides of the ball. But his steady play doesn’t look to me like the kind of thing that will cause superstars to underperform over a 7-game series. DJJ on the other hand, just made KD look rather pedestrian.

PJ has been really great defensively since his arrival.  It's been a while since we had so many good defensive players in our rotation.  Maybe since 2011?
Like Reply
(02-24-2024, 06:00 PM)The Jom Wrote: To me, DJJ looks like our best defender on guys who don’t outweigh him by 30 lbs. So not LeBron. Not Giannis. Not Julius Randle. But almost everybody else under 6-11. I absolutely LOVE Exum on both sides of the ball. But his steady play doesn’t look to me like the kind of thing that will cause superstars to underperform over a 7-game series. DJJ on the other hand, just made KD look rather pedestrian.

His block of KD‘s jumper was an absolute thing of beauty, amazing play!
[-] The following 2 users Like Knutsen's post:
  • Mapka, The Jom
Like Reply
https://hoopshype.com/rumor/2710569/

Followill says Kyrie is 50/40/90 since joining Mavs.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply