Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT
(11-02-2023, 01:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: There are dozens of people shooting and hitting that shot. He's probably one of the few who would be considered role players though. Definitely seems like GWilliams has some untapped upside that he wasn't given credit for around here after the signing. I think he's going to continue to improve with more freedom and responsibility now that he's not buried behind Tatum and Brown.

The easiest way to see this is by watching his college tape.  You don't become SEC player of the year in back to back years for being a good spot up shooter.
Like Reply
Dallas Mavericks Injury Report vs. Denver Nuggets:

Kyrie Irving - questionable (left foot sprain)
Maxi Kleber - questionable (right small toe dislocation)
Greg Brown III - out (G League two-way) 
Dexter Dennis - out (G League two-way) 
A.J. Lawson - out (G League two-way)

per Grant Afseth
Like Reply
Pinky toe? Really?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(11-02-2023, 11:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: My quick list of guys that aren't absolutely untouchable:

Lauri 
Jabari Smith Jr. (Will Houston give up on him this quickly?)
Bobby Portis
Jonathan Isaac

Short list and all of them have their own issues. Lauri will cost an arm and a leg. Smith Jr. might just suck. Bobby is crazy. Isaac and Kyrie would not mesh at all.

Lauri Markkanen might not be absolutely untouchable but he wouldn't be available for the assets that we have to trade.  He's a young star on a great contract.  Unfortunately, he's out of our price range.  Jonathan Isaac would be a fun player to gamble on.  He is as impactful as Jaren Jackson Jr. when he's in the game.  He's just rarely ever in the game.
Like Reply
(11-02-2023, 09:25 AM)mvossman Wrote: The one other resource that I think is really good (same quality as EPM and better than LEBRON) is DPM (from DARKO.com).

When I type in Darko.com, a screen comes up that says FORBIDDEN.  That's as far as I can get for that data.
Like Reply
(11-02-2023, 04:09 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: When I type in Darko.com, a screen comes up that says FORBIDDEN.  That's as far as I can get for that data.

The actual website is:  https://apanalytics.shinyapps.io/DARKO/

Its primary purpose is a boxscore predictor, but DPM (its plus minus projector) is also considered one of the top all in one metrics (along with EPM).  I particularly like the historical career trajectory tab as that history provides a lot of context (similar to looking at prior years of EPM).
Like Reply
(11-02-2023, 06:18 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Slow paced game last night moved us from 6th to 16th in pace for the season.  But, Net Rating of 8.9 moved up to 4th.  O is 2nd and D is 18th.

We are +19 when Lively is in the game.  We are 4th in blocked shots and his vertical gravity along with the attention paid to Luka has us 3rd in the league in 3% at .410.  We are getting calls believe it or not.  2nd in FT’s per FG Attempt.

The question is whether this is Fools Gold.  We are 30th in Strength of Schedule so far.

This might be fools gold when we look back on it, but the Mavs were 6-6 against these same teams last year. You gotta win what’s put in front of ya.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 3 users Like OBX Maverick's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL, The Jom
Like Reply
(11-02-2023, 06:18 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Slow paced game last night moved us from 6th to 16th in pace for the season.  But, Net Rating of 8.9 moved up to 4th.  O is 2nd and D is 18th.

We are +19 when Lively is in the game.  We are 4th in blocked shots and his vertical gravity along with the attention paid to Luka has us 3rd in the league in 3% at .410.  We are getting calls believe it or not.  2nd in FT’s per FG Attempt.

The question is whether this is Fools Gold.  We are 30th in Strength of Schedule so far.

Strange.

Spurs and Nets are 2-1 without the Mavs losses. Bulls are 2-2. Grizzlies are the bad team. Now it wasn´t a tough schedule, but doesn´t feel like it has been the easiest either.

I think we are finally on the right track. I don´t think Williams or Green are a fluke. I expect literally every open three to go in. That´s the same feeling I had with Brunson´s mid range game. When you play with Luka that is already a huge problem for the other team.

Lively is giving us a little Tyson vibe, in the sense, that for years people said give Dirk a real center and we are a problem. It´s the same with Luka. Yeah Powell is nice with all his advanced stats, but Lively shows you what the real gravity and potential of Luka is. To be fair Lively made tremendous strides since SL. Back then I already pin-pointed his passing skills and instincts, but I was really worried about his touch, hands and rebounding. It still looks kinda strange and fumbly at times, but somehow he gets the job done through sheer effort and intelligence.

I´m still not convinced by the long-term prospects of the Irving extension, but all the other summer moves  (drafts, signings, extensions) look like homeruns, that have changed the trajectory of the team, even if we end the season in 7th or 8th.

You need to sell Luka a vision. Being 4-0, while six of your top 8 scorers are 26 or under is a vision. Under Carlisle you feel Exum, Curry, Powell, Kleber, Holmes and Morris would dominate these minutes. 

That´s the one thing you need to give Kidd credit for. Coaches for situations. Maybe in 2-3 years we need an X´s and O´s finisher, but right now we need a team builder that will grow the team.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • mvossman, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-02-2023, 04:28 PM)mvossman Wrote: The actual website is:  https://apanalytics.shinyapps.io/DARKO/

Its primary purpose is a boxscore predictor, but DPM (its plus minus projector) is also considered one of the top all in one metrics (along with EPM).  I particularly like the historical career trajectory tab as that history provides a lot of context (similar to looking at prior years of EPM).

Thank you.
Like Reply
Anyone interested in a backup C?

IMHo, Lively is the C for the future, and is good enough as the C of the present. I'm not looking at veteran Cs better than him, partly because these guys would cost too much, and partly because Lively playing not only helps the team right now, but helps him develop further.

What the Mavs need is a C who's comparable to DLive or even a few notches below him.
IMHo, seems like a guy like Wiseman. Yes I think DLive is the superior player.
With Duren, Bagley and Stewart playing before him, Wiseman is the odd man out.
In Dallas, he could get his minutes, partly because Holmes never does, partly because Maxi sits out games, partly because DP needs to be 3rd string.

What would it take to get Wiseman? He seems like a buy low candidate.
Like Reply
(11-02-2023, 06:37 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Strange.

Spurs and Nets are 2-1 without the Mavs losses. Bulls are 2-2. Grizzlies are the bad team. Now it wasn´t a tough schedule, but doesn´t feel like it has been the easiest either.

I think we are finally on the right track. I don´t think Williams or Green are a fluke. I expect literally every open three to go in. That´s the same feeling I had with Brunson´s mid range game. When you play with Luka that is already a huge problem for the other team.

Lively is giving us a little Tyson vibe, in the sense, that for years people said give Dirk a real center and we are a problem. It´s the same with Luka. Yeah Powell is nice with all his advanced stats, but Lively shows you what the real gravity and potential of Luka is. To be fair Lively made tremendous strides since SL. Back then I already pin-pointed his passing skills and instincts, but I was really worried about his touch, hands and rebounding. It still looks kinda strange and fumbly at times, but somehow he gets the job done through sheer effort and intelligence.

I´m still not convinced by the long-term prospects of the Irving extension, but all the other summer moves  (drafts, signings, extensions) look like homeruns, that have changed the trajectory of the team, even if we end the season in 7th or 8th.

You need to sell Luka a vision. Being 4-0, while six of your top 8 scorers are 26 or under is a vision. Under Carlisle you feel Exum, Curry, Powell, Kleber, Holmes and Morris would dominate these minutes. 

That´s the one thing you need to give Kidd credit for. Coaches for situations. Maybe in 2-3 years we need an X´s and O´s finisher, but right now we need a team builder that will grow the team.

One of the many positives coming out of this offseason is the tone in your posts.  Going to have to change that sig.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-02-2023, 08:26 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Anyone interested in a backup C?

IMHo, Lively is the C for the future, and is good enough as the C of the present. I'm not looking at veteran Cs better than him, partly because these guys would cost too much, and partly because Lively playing not only helps the team right now, but helps him develop further.

What the Mavs need is a C who's comparable to DLive or even a few notches below him.
IMHo, seems like a guy like Wiseman. Yes I think DLive is the superior player.
With Duren, Bagley and Stewart playing before him, Wiseman is the odd man out.
In Dallas, he could get his minutes, partly because Holmes never does, partly because Maxi sits out games, partly because DP needs to be 3rd string.

What would it take to get Wiseman? He seems like a buy low candidate.

Powell is a better player than Wiseman right now and I'm not sure Holmes isn't either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-02-2023, 09:16 PM)mvossman Wrote: Powell is a better player than Wiseman right now and I'm not sure Holmes isn't either.

So basically you're saying Mavs stick with Holmes, who doesn't play and DP who doesn't rebound, instead of Wiseman.
Okay. Got it.

IMHo, maybe the Mavs don't need the Capela and Ayton types anymore given Lively's play. But Maxi is going to sit out games, so Mavs need another big.
Who's out there as a backup C? or even a 3rd string C given Holmes doesn't play?

I'm asking for the price of Wiseman.
If he comes cheap, then why not? He is young and could develop still.

If his cost is too much, which I doubt it is, then there's no point in getting him.
Like Reply
(11-02-2023, 09:48 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: So basically you're saying Mavs stick with Holmes, who doesn't play and DP who doesn't rebound, instead of Wiseman.
Okay. Got it.

IMHo, maybe the Mavs don't need the Capela and Ayton types anymore given Lively's play. But Maxi is going to sit out games, so Mavs need another big.
Who's out there as a backup C? or even a 3rd string C given Holmes doesn't play?

I'm asking for the price of Wiseman.
If he comes cheap, then why not? He is young and could develop still.

If his cost is too much, which I doubt it is, then there's no point in getting him.

Holmes doesn't play because Powell and Maxi are better players.  He is the 4th string center.  Wiseman would be 5th string.  He wouldn't play either.  

There are plenty of backup traditional centers out there who rebound more than Powell, but in most cases their on court impact is less.  

We got a backup traditional center last year and we stretched waived him just to not see him on the bench.

If Holmes is completely toast then it might make sense to get a min 3rd string traditional center, but I'm not sure we know that yet.  Powell and Maxi are legit rotational players and Lively has been a revelation.  If Maxi misses some time I expect we will see a little bit of Holmes.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
[Image: image0.jpg?ex=6557d4de&is=65455fde&hm=cc...height=676]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Love Luka’s response to last night: https://hoopshype.com/rumor/2432489/
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Not an evil robot
Like Reply
Mavs starting five: Kyrie/Luka/DJJ/Grant/Lively 98.3 O-Rating / 126.8 D-Rating
Green instead of Kyrie: 120.4 O-Rating / 98.0 D-Rating

Still a super small sample size but the defense with Kyrie on the floor is terrible. Especially next to Luka. And suprisingly even more with Kyrie/Luka/Grant. Cannot get away with the amount of mismatches they give up.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • loki, omahen
Like Reply
(11-04-2023, 10:45 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs starting five: Kyrie/Luka/DJJ/Grant/Lively 98.3 O-Rating / 126.8 D-Rating
Green instead of Kyrie: 120.4 O-Rating / 98.0 D-Rating

Still a super small sample size but the defense with Kyrie on the floor is terrible. Especially next to Luka. And suprisingly even more with Kyrie/Luka/Grant. Cannot get away with the amount of mismatches they give up.

You said it. I suspected it. The answer to  who should come off the bench between DJJ and Green is probably Kyrie.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/...8375600251
Dereck Lively II said his rookie duties are brining a couple things on the road and grabbing food whenever teammates need it, no matter if it’s 5pm or 2am.

“I’m a rookie, I gotta do what I need to do to earn my keep or my spot.”

This dude is unreal in terms of attitude. Amazing.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
@NickVanExit
Mavs Defensive Ratings (http://NBA.com)

Full Game - 114.6 (22nd)

1st Half - 121.7 (30th)
2nd Half - 107.6 (8th)

1st Quarter - 128.6 (28th)
2nd Quarter - 114.7 (22nd)
3rd Quarter - 105.8 (11th)
4th Quarter - 109.5 (11th)
Like Reply