Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.18 Average
AROUND the NBA: Lakers Fire Darvin Ham| POR Revamps Coaching Staff Under Billups
(01-17-2024, 10:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: That is fine.  My main objection to Grant playing center is we are doing him no favors pairing him with no height.  That is a no win situation imo.   When we signed Grant, I thought he would be able to play some backup center minutes.   He defends the bigger bulky guys alright.   His perimeter defense has been disappointing though.  How Grant is moving on the perimeter now, KD would just torch him anyway.   

He is not playing well regardless, but if we could pair him with a 6'9 guy who can stretch the floor, block some shots and rebound, Grant at center for moments is not terrible.  I just not sure we have that player currently.
It hasn’t been the case with all matchups, but the specific you you named, Durant, GWill has been pretty great against in the recent past, going back to last year’s playoffs and in our Suns games this year.
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 10:05 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is the problem with what Dallas is doing, and with what the folks here WANT Dallas to do:

https://x.com/johnhollinger/status/17476...30428?s=20

THAT is what the playoffs will be like. I LOOOOOVE Lively, but he can't hang with guys like Durant, Kawhi, LeBron, etc. Basically all the good teams (except for Minnesota, who doesn't worry me in the least) have a way to play with super skill and foot speed at every position. 

That's why the Mavs are TRYING to get a lineup with Williams at the 5 to work, and while it hasn't looked good yet, I wish people here were more supportive and open-minded about it, because it's ABSOLUTELY the right type of thought. 

THAT'S why they need a "guy who's at least 6'8" that can dribble"...so he can play CENTER in the playoffs. And no, WCJ isn't the answer.

To me, this is what most recommends Siakam as our potential “missing piece.” PJ Washington could also probably fit the bill. Omax in a couple years. Kyrie, Luka, Exum/Green, Siakam and either Maxi or DJJ or Grant Willams is a nice 5 out offense and defense that won’t get killed on the glass.
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 10:40 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: To me, this is what most recommends Siakam as our potential “missing piece.” PJ Washington could also probably fit the bill. Omax in a couple years. Kyrie, Luka, Exum/Green, Siakam and either Maxi or DJJ or Grant Willams is a nice 5 out offense and defense that won’t get killed on the glass.

I agree about Siakam (after much internal debate with myself over the past couple of weeks) and could see him being great here. Unfortunately, it seems like Indiana wants him badly enough to push the cost far out of the Mavs' price range, and if he's as determined to "test free agency" as recent news makes it seem, I'd be nervous even giving up a fairly modest trade-price for him, given the Mavs' growing, but still light pile of assets. 

PJ Washington, on the other hand, I would be ALL OVER. I watched some highlights of his the other day, and he is far more advanced offensively than I think people realize. And YES, he has played center in the past and it has gone well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(@wojespn)
Golden State Warriors assistant coach Dejan Milojevic — a 46-year old Serbian — has been hospitalized after a sudden and serious health issue at a restaurant in Salt Lake City on Tuesday night, team sources tell @RamonaShelburne and me.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Mavs games streaming on Amazon Prime now???!!!! Good news!

https://x.com/JoePompliano/status/174762...39151?s=20
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 11:21 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Mavs games streaming on Amazon Prime now???!!!! Good news!

Man, that's news. Thanks
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 11:21 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Mavs games streaming on Amazon Prime now???!!!! Good news!

@JoePompliano
Big news this morning that Amazon is acquiring a minority stake in Diamond Sports Group.

The regional sports network filed for bankruptcy last year, putting local media rights for 37 teams across the NBA, MLB, and NHL in jeopardy.

Now, customers can watch games on Amazon Prime.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
@wojespn
·
20m
ESPN Sources: With the serious medical situation surrounding assistant coach Dejan Milojevic, the NBA is postponing Golden State’s game vs. Utah tonight in Salt Lake City.
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 10:22 AM)Winter Wrote: I dunno. I'm pretty intrigued with these videos.

Wendell Carter jr

Offensive Highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fheoA938M9M

Defensive Highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwT0kVOorQ

I think he's a good fit. I just think his health has been an issue.

My biggest concern regarding fit is that he is not a very good P&R player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
That's why the Mavs are TRYING to get a lineup with Williams at the 5 to work, and while it hasn't looked good yet, I wish people here were more supportive and open-minded about it, because it's ABSOLUTELY the right type of thought.

Right type of thought, wrong player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Golden State assistant Dejan Milojević had an heart attack and passed away at a team dinner last night. Only 46. RIP.
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 03:51 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Golden State assistant Dejan Milojević had an heart attack and passed away at a team dinner last night.  Only 46.  RIP.

This is terrible. His poor family. And the team witnessing that. The season from hell continues for GS.
Like Reply

Any idea if it will cost extra? Or will it just be included in the existing Prime package?
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 10:40 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: To me, this is what most recommends Siakam as our potential “missing piece.” PJ Washington could also probably fit the bill. Omax in a couple years. Kyrie, Luka, Exum/Green, Siakam and either Maxi or DJJ or Grant Willams is a nice 5 out offense and defense that won’t get killed on the glass.

Or, if the FO has traded up instead of down and gotten Hendricks... then made trades for Grimes and Jerami... how's this for a nice 5-out offense and defense?

Kyrie, Grimes, Luka, Jerami, Hendricks
Like Reply
(01-18-2024, 01:21 AM)LifeAquatic Wrote: Any idea if it will cost extra? Or will it just be included in the existing Prime package?

I don't think it will cost extra, but I don't really know.
  • LifeAquatic
Like Reply
(01-18-2024, 01:21 AM)LifeAquatic Wrote: Any idea if it will cost extra? Or will it just be included in the existing Prime package?
I don’t think it will considering that they are now adding a $2.99 cost for commercial free viewing of all their content. If you’re only getting Prime to watch Mavs games though, it won’t matter for you to pay that price cause without commercials you’re just watching the in-arena entertainment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • LifeAquatic
Like Reply
Is there some hope for Bagley? First game after the trade and he almost ruined the tanking effort.
Like Reply
(01-18-2024, 10:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Is there some hope for Bagley? First game after the trade and he almost ruined the tanking effort.

I think Bagley is a decent player. He just didn't live up to the hype of being the #2 overall pick.

Doesn't help that the next 3 picks were Luka, JJJ, and Trae. 

But i'd take him as a bench big over Powell and probably Kleber too.
Like Reply
(01-18-2024, 10:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Is there some hope for Bagley? First game after the trade and he almost ruined the tanking effort.

I really liked the gamble Washington took on Bagley (and Livers).  I don't have any grand expectations that Bagley turns into Julius Randle, but it is a solid gamble.  That is what bad teams should be doing.  Try turning a D asset into a C asset.   I haven't read much about the trade but as usual, I am not sure what Detroit is doing.
Like Reply
I really like how Indiana got to keep all their young players in the Siakam trade. Such a great way to gamble but also keep all your young kids. We will see what they become but I really hope we are able to make a similar move this offseason.

https://twitter.com/Pacers/status/1748210061577523565
Like Reply