Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.18 Average
AROUND the NBA: Lakers Fire Darvin Ham
(10-20-2023, 01:53 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Obviously we don´t know the full story, but that is weird behaviour from Stotts.

That’s funny I had the exact opposite reaction. Weird behaviour by Griffin.
[-] The following 2 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • surfpuckmd, The Jom
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 08:48 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: If I take a guess, I think Griffin is a rookie coach who has been assistant most of his career, while Stotts is a veteran one with close relation to Dame.
At the end it created poor dynamics, whether because the coach was insecure or Stotts undermining him

I think this is the best explanation of what transpired.  Sometimes the dynamics are just too awkward.  

I think Stotts would be an ideal fit here on the Mavericks as he has proven to be a good offensive coach in the NBA.  Whether Kidd is secure enough to be open to someone like Stotts on his staff is uncertain.  He would benefit from Stott's experience and ability to run a more coherent offense.  Kidd would also know that his possible successor would be part of his coaching staff.  

Stotts was an assistant here for 4 years though and so has a relationship with Cuban already.  He might see this as a great opportunity to showcase his offense with Luka and Kyrie.  That combination could easily become the best offense in the NBA.  That would likely showcase Stotts and help him get some long looks next summer for NBA teams looking for a new head coach. 

Although it's late in preseason, the Mavericks would benefit greatly from this move.  Hopefully, Cuban sees this opportunity and reaches out.
Like Reply
I like the idea of bringing Stotts in, but Kidd is notoriously loathe to have people around who represent even a slight threat to his authority, so I kind of doubt it happens.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 10:54 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I like the idea of bringing Stotts in, but Kidd is notoriously loathe to have people around who represent even a slight threat to his authority, so I kind of doubt it happens.

I doubt is as well.  People can change though and maybe Kidd recognizes that offensive planning is not his personal strength.  Hopefully, he also recognizes that he probably needs to succeed this season or he will also be looking for a new job next summer.  

It's the function of the adults like Nico and Dennis Lindsay to convince Kidd that this move would be in everybody's best interest. 

I would expect that Mark Cuban would really like this maneuver as well as he delights in bringing back former Mavericks whenever possible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Yes to Stotts here. Ironically Kidd can't coach offense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 11:14 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Yes to Stotts here.  Ironically Kidd can't coach offense.

are you implying he can coach defense?
[-] The following 4 users Like Jym's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, Not an evil robot, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 11:20 AM)Jym Wrote: are you implying he can coach defense?

Touche.  I should have left my comment shorter, lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • Not an evil robot
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 10:19 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: That’s funny I had the exact opposite reaction. Weird behaviour by Griffin.

Why? Griffin is the head coach, if he wants to huddle the coaches to say something like nice job today, then it´s clearly Stotts, who is causing the trouble by walking away from it to talk to the two top players. That´s basically Stotts taking a stand/making a power play to ignore an order from a superior, maybe hoping his old star Lillard and Giannis stand with him.

We don´t know what went down that led to all this, but the situation itself seems pretty straight forward.
Like Reply
In other news, Christian Wood is loving his time on the Lakers

https://twitter.com/kt_3410/status/17154...03004?s=46
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Loved the Lively play tonight. Always loved Green, even back when he was much greener.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 03:41 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: In other news, Christian Wood is loving his time on the Lakers

https://twitter.com/kt_3410/status/17154...03004?s=46

He's been a net negative in five of six games.  Laker bench is a problem if anyone misses time (right now Vanderbilt).  I like the Mav's depth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 10:33 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: He's been a net negative in five of six games.  Laker bench is a problem if anyone misses time (right now Vanderbilt).  I like the Mav's depth.

Mavs’ problem (if you can call it that) might be too much depth, ironically. I get that there are question marks about whether any of them are worthy of spots 3-6, but they have sooooooo many guys who’d look good in spots 7-9. I wonder how it will play with the guys who don’t win those spots.
Like Reply
(10-20-2023, 11:08 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Mavs’ problem (if you can call it that) might be too much depth, ironically. I get that there are question marks about whether any of them are worthy of spots 3-6, but they have sooooooo many guys who’d look good in spots 7-9. I wonder how it will play with the guys who don’t win those spots.

would be so nice to throw THJ, Hardy, and some seconds into a trade for a better 6th man 
I don't even know who that would be but I feel like that package could get us someone interesting
Like Reply
Daily Wembanyama fanboy post.

Has there ever been a player that covers more ground on defense? On paper it's just drop defense but with his length and quickness he can defend the rim and the perimeter at the same time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(10-21-2023, 01:53 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Daily Wembanyama fanboy post.

Has there ever been a player that covers more ground on defense? On paper it's just drop defense but with his length and quickness he can defend the rim and the perimeter at the same time.

He is amazing to watch.

It's also really refreshing to see an NBA superstar who doesn't complain to the officials or protest every foul against him.  It's hard not to like this kid.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(10-21-2023, 01:53 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Daily Wembanyama fanboy post.

He is crazy good.   Ugh why did he have to wind up with the Spurs?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Tough news for Frank who is trying to stick around the NbA

https://x.com/hornets/status/1715778762753671607?s=20
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status...5003122113

Grizzlies say Steven Adams will have surgery on his right posterior cruciate ligament “after non-operative rehabilitation did not resolve ongoing knee instability.” Memphis’ starting center has been sidelined since January due to knee issue.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(10-22-2023, 11:38 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status...5003122113

Grizzlies say Steven Adams will have surgery on his right posterior cruciate ligament “after non-operative rehabilitation did not resolve ongoing knee instability.” Memphis’ starting center has been sidelined since January due to knee issue.

Adams was great for them last year and they struggled after his injury.  I think this and the Ja Morant suspension probably sets the Grizzlies back to where we should surpass them in the standings this season.  I think our playoff odds just improved.

I really like Adams and I think when healthy he would fit our roster well.  As a weird trade proposal, I would offer up Maxi Kleber for him straight up.   Adams could return next season and platoon with Lively.  Kleber could start for them this season.
Like Reply
A couple of extensions were signed in past days.

Zach Collins signed only a 2 year deal, but for a nice yearly number

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1716134420434780573

Zeke Nnaji signed a 32/4 deal

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1715897388550820194
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply