Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.18 Average
AROUND the NBA: NBA In-Season Tournament/Play-In Tournament to be on Amazon
(06-29-2023, 07:46 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: They offloaded their 1st rd pick to us to open up cap space.  I doubt this is what they had in mind.

From what I have read,  they still have some ca space to use. 18M or so

Edit:
https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/...8624482307
Sacramento still has flexibility this offseason after the Harrison Barnes extension.

Options include:

1. Using $18M in room and also bring back Trey Lyles;

2. A combination of renegotiating Domantas Sabonis contract, bringing back Lyles, use remaining room and also the $7.7M room midlevel.

3. Act as a team over the cap
[-] The following 1 user Likes khaled1987's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(06-29-2023, 06:24 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: There's a lot of KAT smoke so can Dan S or F Gump explain if this actually works financially in the new CBA? How do we afford that big 3?

KAT only makes 36M in 2023-24, so matching the salary and making it fit for now is not an issue. If the Mavs could (in theory) make the Ayton salary work, they can make this one work as well.

The issue for KAT is the salary and its implications for future years, with a 16M+ raise in a year.

I have no idea if such a trade is really likely at all, but some of my guesses:
1 The Mavs would expect a trade that includes a salary match providing a REDUCTION for Mavs in salary in 2023-24.
2 And/or I would expect DAL to extract extra side value from MIN, as a tip (maybe bribe is a better word here, in light of the massive financial consequences ) for taking on the balance owed for KAT of 5 yrs 270M.

Sign Kyrie, sign MLE, trade for KAT, and you still have room to work around the edges and probably be under Apron 1. Depending on Kyrie salary.

I'm fantasizing about something like this:
KAT-Kyle A-Jaden McD   49.1M
THJ-Bullock-Holmes-McGee   46.1M

You end up with the PHX model, a top-heavy roster thin on players.
C - KAT, Lively
PF - McD, Kyle, Maxi, Prosper
SF- Brown
SG - Luka, Green
PG - Kyrie, Hardy
4 minimums, Kyrie's salary starts at 39M to keep the team under Apron 1

One big issue would be KAT's trade kicker. It's somewhere between 17M and 23M, and I'm guessing it has to go away (because of the cap implications) if KAT is to be traded. It's already going to be hard to choke down KAT's future salary, and adding another 4-5M per year seems like a deal-killer.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, HIMAV, MFFL
Like Reply
(06-29-2023, 07:26 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I cannot believe the amount of money Harrison Barnes has made. 

[Wojnarowski] Sacramento Kings forward Harrison Barnes – a key part of the franchise’s rise into Western Conference contention – has agreed on a new three-year, $54 million contract extension, his agent Jeff Schwartz of @Excelbasketball tells ESPN.

WTF?  Dude continues to show up with a mask and gun to retrieve his paycheck.
Like Reply
(06-29-2023, 08:50 PM)F Gump Wrote: KAT only makes 36M in 2023-24, so matching the salary and making it fit for now is not an issue. If the Mavs could (in theory) make the Ayton salary work, they can make this one work as well.

The issue for KAT is the salary and its implications for future years, with a 16M+ raise in a year.

I have no idea if such a trade is really likely at all, but some of my guesses:
1 The Mavs would expect a trade that includes a salary match providing a REDUCTION for Mavs in salary in 2023-24.
2 I would expect DAL to extract extra side value from MIN, as a tip (maybe bribe is a better word here, in light of the massive financial consequences ) for taking on the balance owed for KAT of 5 yrs 270M.

Sign Kyrie, sign MLE, trade for KAT, and you still have room to work around the edges and probably be under Apron 1. Depending on Kyrie salary.

C - KAT, Lively
SF- Brown
SG - Luka, Green
PG - Kyrie, Hardy

One big issue would be KAT's trade kicker. It's somewhere between 17M and 23M, and I'm guessing it has to go away (because of the cap implications) if KAT is to be traded. It's already going to be hard to choke down KAT's future salary, and adding another 4-5M per year seems like a deal-killer.

Thank you for the detailed response. I would be estatic with that team.
Like Reply
(06-29-2023, 08:50 PM)F Gump Wrote: I have no idea if such a trade is really likely at all, but some of my guesses:
2 I would expect DAL to extract extra side value from MIN, as a tip (maybe bribe is a better word here, in light of the massive financial consequences ) for taking on the balance owed for KAT of 5 yrs 270M.

C - KAT, Lively
SF- Brown
SG - Luka, Green
PG - Kyrie, Hardy

Although I would like to see Kyrie departing and KAT as incoming (I don't want them together), I can see the potential of this team you assembled here.
I expect no less than the WCF for that team, even on year 1.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/m...26596.html Omer was someone I mentioned the other day but I included other names as well in that post like Azabuike who would be better than getting Drummond if you ask me. He could probably bang and defend some inside. Was upset we never grabbed Omer when he was an undrafted free agent he has enough size and he can shoot 3's and potentially develop into a useful piece.

Mo Bamba also hits 3's well so he is another option.

Also Miami wase developing Orlando Robinson as well and he was looking good and developing nicely but both are now unrestricted.

Perhaps adding Bamba and Omer at vet mins creates a nice group to develop. Bring them all in and see who is the best of the bunch. Bamba is probably a little better option but Omer could be a better banger to wear guys down with his bigger bulk.

I would rather have all these guys than Drummond, Holmes, McGee and Kleber
Like Reply
What in Tarnation?

I tried to skim the board before going to bed.  WTF.  Maybe I’ll have a clearer head in the morning because I’m totally lost right now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-29-2023, 10:23 PM)myconsumerclub Wrote: Perhaps adding Bamba and Omer at vet mins creates a nice group to develop. Bring them all in and see who is the best of the bunch. Bamba is probably a little better option but Omer could be a better banger to wear guys down with his bigger bulk.

I would rather have all these guys than Drummond, Holmes, McGee and Kleber

McGee is the worst. No comparison for him.

As for Maxi?
I wouldn't group Maxi with those guys mentioned here.
The dude is probably on the decline, but at this point, he is above and beyond the likes of Omer, Drummond, Holmes and Bamba in terms of play and value.

Edit: I'm optimistic about Holmes. I think he gets it together this time. All he has to do is lay screens and roll. He's going to be better than last season's version for sure. Unless of course he gets included in a package for KAT.

(06-29-2023, 10:46 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: What in Tarnation?

I tried to skim the board before going to bed.  WTF.  Maybe I’ll have a clearer head in the morning because I’m totally lost right now.

Worry not.
Mavs are going to shoulder all that money for the greatest shooting big ever.  Big Grin
Like Reply
I leave for 1 day and apparently the Mavs are actually interested in trading for KAT.......................................................................................

Im in disgust. He's such a loser.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
THere was one unknown twitter insider that said KAT may be traded to Phoenix or Dallas. Then his account got deleted. Then he started a new account that said Kat no longer going to Dallas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Ok I'll slowly walk away from that idea and pretend it isn't real until it gets more steam from someone other than a random unknown twitter insider.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
It might not be to the Mavs but KAT getting moved seems inevitable after they gave Naz Reid 14 million a year
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
The account was actually temporarily reactivated and said the other accounts were not him/her. Then it was deactivated again.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(06-29-2023, 10:46 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: What in Tarnation?

I tried to skim the board before going to bed.  WTF.  Maybe I’ll have a clearer head in the morning 

OK, caught up more...

Good about Bruce Brown.  Fingers crossed.  If that happens, at least one of THJ/Reggie needs to be traded for something.

Oh Hell No to KAT.  I'd rather suffer through Holmes/Powell until Lively is ready.

Why in the world would any team sign up for the Harden Sh!t-Show.

I hope Nico has as many alternative plans as he did at the draft.  It feels like he's going to need them.

We need to game plan for something that lands us a PG (Fultz and Lowry come to mind or one of the extras they have in Washington).  Feels like we might need one.

I think I was right to not trust Kyrie.  This doesn't feel like cooperation in order to build the team around him.  It feels like full-on selfishness.  We don't know what Dallas is offering, so that might not be fair.  Recall he and Brooklyn were discussing a 2 year $86mm extension and he got mad because Brooklyn wanted to build in protective clauses.  A clean two year deal at this level from Dallas would have been improvement.  If we've learned anything from the last two weeks it is that even superstars who make too much are a negative asset.

Personally, I'm fine if he moves on.  Better than him staying and feeling disrespected (something we don't control and can happen without warning).  Philly seems the easiest thing.  Maybe it is a four-way with the Clippers and Phoenix and we end up with Ayton.  Or, maybe we add in Indy, they get Ayton and we get Turner/Hield.  Then THJ is part of the outgoing for Lowry or Fultz.  I could also see Philly getting the Clipper's crap for Harden and Dallas swapping out Tobias Harris for Kyrie.  

I don't think he bolts for nothing.  More likely he tries to engineer himself somewhere.  One fear I have is him dragging this out.  If Bruce Brown says yes quickly, it probably means we offered him a starting spot.  If we offered him a starting spot it may mean that spot belonged to Kyrie.  Brown and Green as perimeter defenders are also both good ball movers.  Maybe we move away from the concept of defensively-challenged guards next to Luka playing 'your-turn, my-turn'.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
If the Clippers are involved I would want Paul George 99 times out of 100 over Ayton, even considering his age and injury history.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 07:40 AM)Branduil Wrote: If the Clippers are involved I would want Paul George 99 times out of 100 over Ayton, even considering his age and injury history.

Father time is undefeated. PG is 33.  Even Kyrie is too old for this team.  Anything that nets a good young player is a win whether its Ayton, or Maxey.
[-] The following 2 users Like haveitall's post:
  • Arioch, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 12:35 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: THere was one unknown twitter insider that said KAT may be traded to Phoenix or Dallas.  Then his account got deleted.  Then he started a new account that said Kat no longer going to Dallas.

SOMEBODY started a new account. The postings do not feel the same to me. The original poster was a little more raw.
Like Reply
Wow…who knew Jalen Brunson could recruit too? Sounds like they may be the favorites for Dante. That could be the start of a big move coming. They have 4 first round picks potentially and several guys who may be the right time to move prior to them getting their next contract.
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 07:48 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Wow…who knew Jalen Brunson could recruit too?  Sounds like they may be the favorites for Dante.  That could be the start of a big move coming.  They have 4 first round picks potentially and several guys who may be the right time to move prior to them getting their next contract.

15/16 Villanova Wildcats. Hart, Brunson, DiVincenzo, Mikal Bridges, Paschall and Arcidiacono. If DiVincenzo joins the Knicks I wouldn´t be suprised if they also go after Bridges (Randle + picks).
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 07:34 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: OK, caught up more...

Good about Bruce Brown.  Fingers crossed.  If that happens, at least one of THJ/Reggie needs to be traded for something.

Oh Hell No to KAT.  I'd rather suffer through Holmes/Powell until Lively is ready.

Why in the world would any team sign up for the Harden Sh!t-Show.

I hope Nico has as many alternative plans as he did at the draft.  It feels like he's going to need them.

We need to game plan for something that lands us a PG (Fultz and Lowry come to mind or one of the extras they have in Washington).  Feels like we might need one.

I think I was right to not trust Kyrie.  This doesn't feel like cooperation in order to build the team around him.  It feels like full-on selfishness.  We don't know what Dallas is offering, so that might not be fair.  Recall he and Brooklyn were discussing a 2 year $86mm extension and he got mad because Brooklyn wanted to build in protective clauses.  A clean two year deal at this level from Dallas would have been improvement.  If we've learned anything from the last two weeks it is that even superstars who make too much are a negative asset.

Personally, I'm fine if he moves on.  Better than him staying and feeling disrespected (something we don't control and can happen without warning).  Philly seems the easiest thing.  Maybe it is a four-way with the Clippers and Phoenix and we end up with Ayton.  Or, maybe we add in Indy, they get Ayton and we get Turner/Hield.  Then THJ is part of the outgoing for Lowry or Fultz.  I could also see Philly getting the Clipper's crap for Harden and Dallas swapping out Tobias Harris for Kyrie.  

I don't think he bolts for nothing.  More likely he tries to engineer himself somewhere.  One fear I have is him dragging this out.  If Bruce Brown says yes quickly, it probably means we offered him a starting spot.  If we offered him a starting spot it may mean that spot belonged to Kyrie.  Brown and Green as perimeter defenders are also both good ball movers.  Maybe we move away from the concept of defensively-challenged guards next to Luka playing 'your-turn, my-turn'.

Kryie is a FA and he deserves to take time to make his decision, but I agree is is exhausting.  How he ended the season without making any sort of comment to the crazy Lebron rumors to now wanting to meet with PHX. ETC.   It just seems like someone completely out of touch.   

I feel much better about this team after the draft.  Sure the players they picked may never be good, but I like having young guys who should improve and be a real nice team in 2-3 years.  The question is how do we manage these next 2 years and be competitive while the youngsters grow?  Losing Kyrie will hurt and we will be the joke of most NBA fans.   I am fine though if this is a pure money play by Kyrie.   I enjoyed watching him on the court, but I want players all in trying to win a championship every day.   That hasn't been Kryie's primary focus for most of the last 6 years.    So lets see what happens today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Arioch
Like Reply