Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.1 Average
AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX!
"Part of me wonders if Dallas and SA are negotiating through the media on Poeltl". 

I can't see Cuban trying to resign both Poeltl/Turner and Wood this offseason.  Maybe all the trade news now for another C is to get Wood to except the 2-year extension prior to the 24th this month.
Like Reply
I am still firmly in the two way wing camp. Preferably a big wing. As it was publicly stated, Mavs vision is to have a team full of switchable guys. What they lack is a bigger body as Green, THJ, Bullock and DFS are all too small to fight with elite big wings. Also, lets not forget, this roster is aging. I don't think Mavs traded for Wood with the purpose of moving him at TDL. The time for their move is summer, not TDL. I think the plan was for McGee, Wood, Kleber and one wing to cover the PF and C minutes for next 2 years. Lets not forget, Luka is often playing the PF position on defense, especially against teams without elite PF. 

Above all, the guy needs to be an excellent defender and he needs to be at least a decent 3 point shooter. He needs to be able to switch on perimeter as Luka is not good at fighting over screens - one of main issues with KP pairing. Opponents will be always attacking this combination on defense.  A non shooter will always be exposed in playoffs, so no way I would be paying anything near the SA price for Poeltl.  Mavs made their move on McGee and so far it looks like a major screw up. And idiots gave him a three year deal, which was in my opinion of negative value when they did it, and is hugely negative value now. If Mavs would think their big move needs to be a center, it wouldn't make any sense to sign McGee. 

Turner could be a good option at center, but I don't think he solves all the Mavs problems. His stock is way up atm and Mavs would be again left with little assets after the move. The time to trade for him would be this past summer, imho. But obviously Mavs weren't interested or the price was too high. Indy would likely want expiring salaries (Powell, Bullock and Wood are options) and probably two FRP. This means, Mavs would have little assets left for any other move. 

I don't think Collins is the answer. He is too small to play center on defense and also not a great defender. PJ Washington is great, but I would only see him as Maxi replacement. 

My move would be to replace SD in the starting line-up and move him to the 6th man role. I would move Bullock out of rotation (if possible use him in trade) and reduce minutes of THJ, SD and DFS a bit, thus creating the minutes for the new guy. While Green had some good games, he is still often pretty much invisible, like tonight against Milwaukee. Phoenix game was actually the only really good game he had in the last five games. I don't think he is ready for a bigger role. I see him as a long term replacement for DFS. Hardy is a long term THJ replacement imho, with slowly increased role every season. 

I think the most important part for the Mavs now is recruiting. Convince a player he wants to be here and only here. Players on expiring contracts have a lot of weight in where they want to go, where they want to be traded to. Of course we have no idea, what players want. My main target would be Siakam. He will be expiring next season and if he says he doesn't want to stay in Toronto, they will have to trade him. He is in his prime, elite defender and would fit well with either Maxi, Wood or Powell/McGee. He could also be used as a small ball center. 

Jaylen Brown would also be a perfect option, but I don't see it possible he would leave his excellent situation in Boston to basically play same role in Dallas. The only option I see him go is to a team where he could be alpha, but I think he will resign in Boston for max money. Anunoby is another name I have a lot of interest in, but will be more difficult to get. Other options are considerably worse afterwards - either aging superstars or players a tier or two below in terms of quality. 

Most of Raptors will be expiring next season and they will have a lot of decisions to make. They have a lot of good players, but what they need is a star. They will be in excellent position to trade for one in the summer, but can they convince one to join them? The last one didn't want to stay even after winning a title with them. Even if they do make a trade, Siakam or Anunoby could be the ones going out. So, can Mavs jump in as a third team? 

In my ideal scenario, Mavs trade Bertans, Bullock and McGee contracts for Siakam. Resign Powell and Wood. The team would be:

Luka, SD
THJ, Hardy (very limited minutes)
DFS, Green
Siakam, Maxi
Powell, Wood
Like Reply
(12-10-2022, 07:03 AM)omahen Wrote:  
In my ideal scenario, Mavs trade Bertans, Bullock and McGee contracts for Siakam. Resign Powell and Wood. The team would be:

Luka, SD
DFS, Green
Siakam, Maxi
Powell, Wood

I don't think you'll get any argument that Siakam or Anunoby or Brown would look really good here.  But those moves are about two levels up from any discussion of Turner or Poeltl.  That's at least 3 future unprotected firsts and probably Green or Hardy or both.  

The more interesting question isn't the names, it is the philosophy of approach.  There are enough tools to make some improvements that would be pretty helpful right now.  But, they aren't the Sammy Superstar move.  Do you make those improvements now or do you hold onto your assets in hopes you can make the next AD trade.  Neither approach is perfect and both have their issues.

I think it is faulty logic to say that because McGee failed all centers are doomed to the same fate.  Kind of ironic that last night Poeltl's FT shooting (the biggest hole in his game) would have been additive to our percentage for the game Sad
Like Reply
(12-10-2022, 08:56 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The more interesting question isn't the names, it is the philosophy of approach.  There are enough tools to make some improvements that would be pretty helpful right now.  But, they aren't the Sammy Superstar move.  Do you make those improvements now or do you hold onto your assets in hopes you can make the next AD trade.  Neither approach is perfect and both have their issues.

I think Mavs need (much) more than a little improvement around the edges. You said in one of previous posts, that two way wings wouldn't improve the team that much. I think lesser players, even on a center position, would improve it even less while effectively taking away the option for the big move. So I would save my assets until I make that big move, than improve around the edges. There are always assets left. I think Poeltls and Turners value is at their peak now with little probability they can play even better, much more likely something gets wrong. Not really a timing to buy them, imho, they might very easily become negative value once they sign their new contracts. I think Mavs would have big problems defensively with a guy like Poeltl, as they are just not build to survive drop coverage, imho.

Mavs main problem is, that everything is on Luka. I don't think it is sustainable for 4 playoff series. Poeltl or Turner don't help with that, but take away some of the few assets Mavs have to improve in that area. So if you want to bring in some help for Luka on the offensive side, it would most likely be a player with some serious flaws. And this way I don't think Mavs get good enough to be a real contender.

Of course my names are much more expensive. But I think Siakams value should be in the range of what SA got for Murray. So three picks and zero player value. I would be prepared to pay that. I don't think he is really Sammy Superstar. That would be Durant or George. He is basically a Jrue type move. Atlanta even kept their 2023 pick as they traded the Charlotte one, which leaves them flexibility and ability to use 2023 and 2024 picks in next two years. I would think Anunobys value is even a bit lower, if he becomes available. As I said, Brown would be great, but is not realistic. If Mavs trade 2025, 27 and 29 picks, they still have the ability for one more move in 2024 - a move that can get you a nice complementary player for that final push. Full MLE would also be nice, although Mavs have so many bad contracts, it is not likely.

(12-10-2022, 08:56 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think it is faulty logic to say that because McGee failed all centers are doomed to the same fate. 

I didn't made my statement based on McGee. Even Gobert is regularly exposed in the playoffs. It is just so easy to defend PnR against bigs without any other offensive moves. I just don't think it makes sense to throw even more money and assets at yet another non shooting big. Powell on a lesser salary and the idea of McGee are just fine for the role they play.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/160...3559469056
Like Reply
(12-10-2022, 07:03 AM)omahen Wrote: I am still firmly in the two way wing camp. Preferably a big wing. As it was publicly stated, Mavs vision is to have a team full of switchable guys. What they lack is a bigger body as Green, THJ, Bullock and DFS are all too small to fight with elite big wings. Also, lets not forget, this roster is aging. I don't think Mavs traded for Wood with the purpose of moving him at TDL. The time for their move is summer, not TDL. I think the plan was for McGee, Wood, Kleber and one wing to cover the PF and C minutes for next 2 years. Lets not forget, Luka is often playing the PF position on defense, especially against teams without elite PF. 

Above all, the guy needs to be an excellent defender and he needs to be at least a decent 3 point shooter. He needs to be able to switch on perimeter as Luka is not good at fighting over screens - one of main issues with KP pairing. Opponents will be always attacking this combination on defense.  A non shooter will always be exposed in playoffs, so no way I would be paying anything near the SA price for Poeltl.  Mavs made their move on McGee and so far it looks like a major screw up. And idiots gave him a three year deal, which was in my opinion of negative value when they did it, and is hugely negative value now. If Mavs would think their big move needs to be a center, it wouldn't make any sense to sign McGee. 

Turner could be a good option at center, but I don't think he solves all the Mavs problems. His stock is way up atm and Mavs would be again left with little assets after the move. The time to trade for him would be this past summer, imho. But obviously Mavs weren't interested or the price was too high. Indy would likely want expiring salaries (Powell, Bullock and Wood are options) and probably two FRP. This means, Mavs would have little assets left for any other move. 

I don't think Collins is the answer. He is too small to play center on defense and also not a great defender. PJ Washington is great, but I would only see him as Maxi replacement. 

My move would be to replace SD in the starting line-up and move him to the 6th man role. I would move Bullock out of rotation (if possible use him in trade) and reduce minutes of THJ, SD and DFS a bit, thus creating the minutes for the new guy. While Green had some good games, he is still often pretty much invisible, like tonight against Milwaukee. Phoenix game was actually the only really good game he had in the last five games. I don't think he is ready for a bigger role. I see him as a long term replacement for DFS. Hardy is a long term THJ replacement imho, with slowly increased role every season. 

I think the most important part for the Mavs now is recruiting. Convince a player he wants to be here and only here. Players on expiring contracts have a lot of weight in where they want to go, where they want to be traded to. Of course we have no idea, what players want. My main target would be Siakam. He will be expiring next season and if he says he doesn't want to stay in Toronto, they will have to trade him. He is in his prime, elite defender and would fit well with either Maxi, Wood or Powell/McGee. He could also be used as a small ball center. 

Jaylen Brown would also be a perfect option, but I don't see it possible he would leave his excellent situation in Boston to basically play same role in Dallas. The only option I see him go is to a team where he could be alpha, but I think he will resign in Boston for max money. Anunoby is another name I have a lot of interest in, but will be more difficult to get. Other options are considerably worse afterwards - either aging superstars or players a tier or two below in terms of quality. 

Most of Raptors will be expiring next season and they will have a lot of decisions to make. They have a lot of good players, but what they need is a star. They will be in excellent position to trade for one in the summer, but can they convince one to join them? The last one didn't want to stay even after winning a title with them. Even if they do make a trade, Siakam or Anunoby could be the ones going out. So, can Mavs jump in as a third team? 

Luka, SD
DFS, Green
Siakam, Maxi
Powell, Wood

I don't think we have (or will have) the assets to both land Siakam and dump the Bertans and McGee contracts.

Also, the math is which is better, DFS/Siakam/Powell or Wiggins/DFS/Turner?  I find myself leaning towards the later.
Like Reply
(12-10-2022, 02:53 PM)mvossman Wrote: DFS/Siakam/Powell or Wiggins/DFS/Turner

Wiggins value is very similar to the one of Siakam, imho. Besides, I think GSW clearly showed they want him to stay.
Like Reply
(12-10-2022, 03:35 PM)omahen Wrote: Wiggins value is very similar to the one of Siakam, imho. Besides, I think GSW clearly showed they want him to stay.

I don't think Wiggins is near Siakam value.  They are both considered good defenders but Siakam is a better more efficient creator, a way better playmaker, scores more, rebounds more and just a better overall offensive player.

I thought I heard a rumor a while ago that GS might be looking to move Wiggins, but he was just a placeholder.  The point was a non-star two way player that might only cost a first or two.
Like Reply
Siakam would require a package similar to Gobert's. Anunoby would have plenty of suitors and it's rumored that they turned down #7+ Hart this past offseason.. and the Warriors I suppose they will move Klay / Poole or Green before they get rid of Wiggins ... I think these guys are out of our range of assets unless we tank this year and get a high pick.. Turner or/and one of Lavine/Beal would seem incredible to me... even with the red flags they bring
Like Reply
Ainge must be so pissed right now. He pulled Markkanen, Conley, Clarkson and Sexton and they are still threatening to win in Denver. Big Grin
Like Reply
(12-10-2022, 10:47 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Ainge must be so pissed right now. He pulled Markkanen, Conley, Clarkson and Sexton and they are still threatening to win in Denver. Big Grin

It's like the basketball version of Moneyball except with opposite asperations.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/nbastats/status/1601805559493189632
Like Reply
(12-11-2022, 12:29 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/nbastats/status/1601805559493189632

Like him or not, LeBron is going to be 1st or near it on a whole lot of lists when it's all said and done.
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1005...uzma-rumor
Like Reply
Breaking: Legendary NBA Star Died Sunday Morning (msn.com)

RIP Coach Silas.
Like Reply
Mavs have Nico, so no interest here

(2) Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter: "ESPN Sources: Golden State Warriors President of Basketball Operations Bob Myers – architect of four NBA championships in the past eight years – is entering into the final months of his contract and remains without a new deal: https://t.co/a5QUCVbCRc" / Twitter
Like Reply
(12-10-2022, 02:53 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think we have (or will have) the assets to both land Siakam and dump the Bertans and McGee contracts.

I tend to agree.  The more realistic deal right now for Siakam is probably Wood/Powell/Bullock for Pascal and Birch.  I think Dallas would need to add 3 picks in such a deal.  

I like the suggestion of Siakam.  He defends his position(s) well.  I think that is the difference between him and Wood.  I feel equally good about Siakam/DFS as I would Siakam/Maxi.  I tend to believe he’s the most likely to be dealt if Toronto makes a major move.  He’s extension eligible this summer, is older than Anunoby and plays the positions that Barnes and Koloko will ultimately occupy.  His extension will start in the range of $43mm (he never comes close to playing 82 games).  With all that said, he’s certainly a top 30 guy, arguably a top 20 guy so far this season.  But, you’d be getting him at least partially because Toronto doesn’t want to pay him that deal into his mid 30’s that starts at $43mm.

Contrast that with trading for Poeltl (lets say McGee/Frank and one first) and keeping Wood.  Can you keep Poeltl and Wood for $30mm?  Similar question to the one you posed.  Big rotation better with Poeltl, Powell, Wood, Maxi and DFS or Siakam, Maxi, DFS and McGee (not to mention the extra picks we’d still have)?  People may or may not agree with the price tags I’ve outlined.  But, I think they are more realistic than dumping Bertans and McGee in a deal for Siakam.
Like Reply
(12-11-2022, 03:36 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I like the suggestion of Siakam.

Siakim would be a score here, I think.
Like Reply
(12-11-2022, 03:36 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The more realistic deal right now for Siakam is probably Wood/Powell/Bullock for Pascal and Birch.

Siakam is very good, but I don't think he is the alpha who can take you all the way. And as you said, Toronto has logjam at PF. Toronto wants a center and it was rumored they have interest in Poeltl. So how about Bertans, McGee and two picks to SA, Bullock, Poeltl and one pick to Toronto? Toronto still keeps all the ammo (and adds some) for a star trade while keeping the excelent core. I don't think Siakam is interesting for SA (or any other rebuilding team), too old for their rebuild. Sure Toronto could use Trent in the deal for Poeltl, but it would require at least one FRP to get him.
Like Reply
Don't get me wrong. I understand Bertans, McGee is an ideal scenario, perhaps even pipedream. But everything more in terms of player value means huge problems for Mavs to replace. I think they need Wood and Powell in their roles and they will have few possibilities left to replace them. They certainly don't need McGee, imho. I have no idea what they have been thinking, but he has been absolutely terrible. Even yesterday. Just looks completely disengaded and lost on the court. Garbage time with game already over doesn't count. He was -12 in three minutes in second quarter yesterday and main reason the game went totally out of reach yesterday, imho. That stint was absolutely horrible.
Like Reply