Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Jerami Grant + #46 to POR | 2025 1st + #36 to DET
Exclamation 
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1539729598816083969

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1539730296467341313
Like Reply
The Wood deal may have set the table for this. Grant was on an expiring contract and didn't fit Detroit's timeline, similar scenario. Grant may have been worth some extra second round value because of his better reputation but he's still an expiring that figures to be in line for a payday next season so he was only going to be worth so much.

What are the Blazers doing though? What was that Powell Covington trade around the deadline if they were still planning to be competitive. It sounds like #7 is up for grabs, I guess they're going all in to try to build something around Dame. Maybe they considered trading Dame but couldn't find a deal they liked?
Like Reply
That deal was exceedingly cheap. Like CRAZY cheap. I would've been all over Grant for a 2025 1st and + a 2nd rounder. I think DET didn't want to take back much salary though...? 

What a steal for POR. Surprised more people here aren't up in arms for the Mavs not trying to get in on that deal.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-22-2022, 09:38 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That deal was exceedingly cheap. Like CRAZY cheap. I would've been all over Grant for a 2025 1st and + a 2nd rounder. I think DET didn't want to take back much salary though...? 

What a steal for POR. Surprised more people here aren't up in arms for the Mavs not trying to get in on that deal.

Meh. Grant isn't that good. Just my opinion.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Mavsfan12, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-22-2022, 09:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Meh. Grant isn't that good. Just my opinion.

I agree he's been overrated the last couple of years. He put up some big stats that never really led to winning (although seeing those DET rosters can we really blame him?).

BUT getting him for what is assumed to be a late 20's first rounder, and a couple of late 2nds is a steal. Look at it from the Mavs perspective:

Getting him for a deal like that meant that the Mavs would have added Grant+Wood without touching the top 6 that led the team to the WCF. That's a crazy talent upgrade. I assume DET only did that because they valued the cap space gained by the deal. They're also a Brunson suitor too. Hopefully they don't try to money whip Brunson.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-22-2022, 09:38 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That deal was exceedingly cheap. Like CRAZY cheap. I would've been all over Grant for a 2025 1st and + a 2nd rounder. I think DET didn't want to take back much salary though...? 

I think that deal is in line with value expectation, as Detroit obviously values the gained cap space. Either they can bring someone else or further sell cap space. Portland used the TE smartly. 

It would cost Mavs another FRP to dump adequate salary (lets say THJ) to a third team, so Dallas end price would be 2 FRP.
[-] The following 4 users Like omahen's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
I have to say I am pretty bummed by this turn of events... IMO Grant would have provided a nice 3rd wing. I get why he didn't have more value but it hurts to think we did not beat that type of offer.
Like Reply
(06-22-2022, 09:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Meh. Grant isn't that good. Just my opinion.

Featured Grant isn't that good. Denver Grant that buys into that role is excellent, and exactly what we need. Would he need to buy in, yes, but we also are looking for that from Wood. I think it would have been a risk worth taking given how perfect his profile fit for this team.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dundalis's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 06:07 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Denver Grant that buys into that role is excellent, and exactly what we need

I am not convinced of that at all.

The idea of Jerami Grant (this long wing who is a two way 3/4) is much better than actual Grant in my opinion. 

Grant in DEN...

Playoffs:
-4.0 on/off O
-7.8 on/off D
-11.8 on/off Net

Regular Season:
-2.0 on/off O
-7.3 on/off D
-9.3 on/off Net

Denver was a much better team on BOTH ends when Grant was not playing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 06:07 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Featured Grant isn't that good. Denver Grant that buys into that role is excellent, and exactly what we need. Would he need to buy in, yes, but we also are looking for that from Wood. I think it would have been a risk worth taking given how perfect his profile fit for this team.

Difference is Wood wanted to a good team, didn't like being in a rebuild.

Grant wanted to a bad team to be featured and not play with Jokic.

And one player who need to be pulled in line is enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mapka's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 06:54 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Denver was a much better team on BOTH ends when Grant was not playing.

I'm not going to disagree with your numbers, but I did watch every single Denver playoff game that season and my takeaway was that Grant was absolutely an impact player for them. He was DYNAMIC on defense, for sure. 

I do think he has become overrated somewhat around here since then, and there are elements of his personality and what he thinks he's entitled to, role wise, that make me less interested in him, but I don't think Denver has been as good since losing him, personally.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I think Wood is good, but I am just not a huge fan.  I thought the role in Denver was perfect for him.  Denver made a real nice trade to get him.   I am not sure if he is a #2.   I think he is best served as a #3 or #4.   Not sure if he wants to have that hustle/energy role where you don't have a lot of plays run for you.

I am anxious to see what Portland does this offseason.   I think they are improving their team and if Dame is fully healthy they need to be a team you account for.   But I just wonder if all these moves will bring them right back to where they were:  A solid playoff team, not much of a true contender.   As Dame gets older, that is a tricky spot to be.  I know there has been some talk of OG.   He would help now.  But I wonder if the save pick would be Daniels or Sharpe.  It sort of protects them if they eventually need to move Dame.    Daniels and Sharpe gives them another young piece if they need to break it down.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 09:00 AM)Mapka Wrote: Difference is Wood wanted to a good team, didn't like being in a rebuild.

Grant wanted to a bad team to be featured and not play with Jokic.

And one player who need to be pulled in line is enough.

But Wood wound up signing with another team in a rebuild. Didn't make sense. Grant wanted to show his wares with another team, Denver offered him the same deal Detroit did, but he chose to leave.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 11:37 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: But Wood wound up signing with another team in a rebuild. Didn't make sense. Grant wanted to show his wares with another team, Denver offered him the same deal Detroit did, but he chose to leave.

No, when he signed up with Houston he thought he was getting on a contender.  It was not until after he signed that Harden forced his way out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 11:46 AM)mvossman Wrote: No, when he signed up with Houston he thought he was getting on a contender.  It was not until after he signed that Harden forced his way out.

I think he was just looking to get paid, and HOU happened to be the one who wanted to pay him. As I recall, DET did not, but was willing to do a sign-and-trade to help him get an over-MLE deal and get something back in return (which was basically the pick/rights to Isaiah Stewart, #16 from that draft) plus assorted filler.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 11:46 AM)mvossman Wrote: No, when he signed up with Houston he thought he was getting on a contender.  It was not until after he signed that Harden forced his way out.

Yeah, that Harden guy can screw up a team. They weren't a playoff team anyway if Harden stayed.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 09:08 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm not going to disagree with your numbers, but I did watch every single Denver playoff game that season and my takeaway was that Grant was absolutely an impact player for them. He was DYNAMIC on defense, for sure. 

I do think he has become overrated somewhat around here since then, and there are elements of his personality and what he thinks he's entitled to, role wise, that make me less interested in him, but I don't think Denver has been as good since losing him, personally.

Sometimes analytics and stats don't tell the whole story. The eye test can be just as effective.   He was way more productive than Aaron Gordon who was brought in to replace him.
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 02:42 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: He was way more productive than Aaron Gordon who was brought in to replace him.

Agreed. I don't hate Gordon, but I take Grant over him 100/100 times.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(06-23-2022, 06:54 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I am not convinced of that at all.

The idea of Jerami Grant (this long wing who is a two way 3/4) is much better than actual Grant in my opinion. 

Grant in DEN...

Playoffs:
-4.0 on/off O
-7.8 on/off D
-11.8 on/off Net

Regular Season:
-2.0 on/off O
-7.3 on/off D
-9.3 on/off Net

Denver was a much better team on BOTH ends when Grant was not playing.

I mean if we are going to use on/off, Luka has barely been a positive player for us his entire career. Certainly doesn't paint him as any kind of superstar. There are players that are clearly very positive difference makers in the league that don't have very good on/off numbers. Which unit you typically play with on that team, and how good your unit is vs other unit/s makes a big difference (i.e Luka playing with one of the worst starting lineups, but having one of the most efficient bench units in the league for a couple seasons).
Like Reply