Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUMMER LEAGUE: Gm 5 84-95 loss, JH 15 pts, 3 ast, 3 rbd, 7 TO
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/15...3249351680
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/WestheimerWild1/stat...1235060738
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 12:28 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: That’s the sad part. The fact that the Warriors even despite being a dynasty over the last decade have young players around their stars with much higher ceiling and potential than the Mavs. There is no excuse for that. 

Look at Wiggins. A former #1. They get him because they go and sign D’Angelo. They knew D’Angelo might not be the best fit but went and signed him knowing they could move him.   Meanwhile the Mavs would only look at fit and cost and never sign a player like D’Angelo stating how his flaws make him unworthy of that contract.

After the Warriors won it all in 2015, and were on pace to 73 wins the following season, the prevailing thought was: "this is the perfect time to tank and rebuild since the Warriors aren't going away any time soon. By the time we finish 'rebuilding,' Warriors' peak will end." 

Fast forward 6-7 years, and Warriors look as scary as ever with a strong youth talent pool and several other assets to tinker with. 

All the Mavs have to show for it is Luka Doncic, a hell of a lottery ticket, but that's about it. It's still a team game at the end of the day and the pieces/assets remain underwhelming. 

The future looks bleak, imo. Yeah, the Mavs will still be good because Luka conquers all like Dirk, but the ceiling is middling at best.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 02:14 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: After the Warriors won it all in 2015, and were on pace to 73 wins the following season, the prevailing thought was: "this is the perfect time to tank and rebuild since the Warriors aren't going away any time soon. By the time we finish 'rebuilding,' Warriors' peak will end." 

Fast forward 6-7 years, and Warriors look as scary as ever with a strong youth talent pool and several other assets to tinker with. 

All the Mavs have to show for it is Luka Doncic, a hell of a lottery ticket, but that's about it. It's still a team game at the end of the day and the pieces/assets remain underwhelming. 

The future looks bleak, imo. Yeah, the Mavs will still be good because Luka conquers all like Dirk, but the ceiling is middling at best.

Hindsight and all but it's why the KP trade was so foolish and I think better front offices wouldn't have pulled the trigger, even if injuries weren't a concern.  Luka would never let you be a bottom feeder after his first season, but they should have taken more time to figure out what fit best around him and then hope to hit on those picks in teens his first few years.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...7322830849
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 04:02 PM)cow Wrote: Hindsight and all but it's why the KP trade was so foolish and I think better front offices wouldn't have pulled the trigger, even if injuries weren't a concern.  Luka would never let you be a bottom feeder after his first season, but they should have taken more time to figure out what fit best around him and then hope to hit on those picks in teens his first few years.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure about this statement. I think better FOs would have protected themselves more on his current contract, but doing the same deal? I think that was a pretty easy yes.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 05:39 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Hmmm, I'm not so sure about this statement. I think better FOs would have protected themselves more on his current contract, but doing the same deal? I think that was a pretty easy yes.

Three FRPs and contract dumps for a current injured and often injured, 7-foot+ almost-star that didn't want to be in his current situation and would have to be given another contract before even taking his first shot?  And that after having to give up a future FRP to land Doncic in the first place.  I don't think a good front office does that deal.  Considering the reputation of the Mavs organization, I don't even blame them for the lack of protections on the contract.  They'd already gone all in and couldn't take any chance that he'd leave.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status...1267127296
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 05:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status...1267127296

I thought someone spilled nacho cheese on their phones while typing out Dwight Powell.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • hakeemfaan, Jmaciscool, Kidnova
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 05:43 PM)cow Wrote: Three FRPs and contract dumps for a current injured and often injured, 7-foot+ almost-star that didn't want to be in his current situation and would have to be given another contract before even taking his first shot?  And that after having to give up a future FRP to land Doncic in the first place.  I don't think a good front office does that deal.  Considering the reputation of the Mavs organization, I don't even blame them for the lack of protections on the contract.  They'd already gone all in and couldn't take any chance that he'd leave.

There was no danger that he´d leave. He was a RFA. What was he gonna do? Sign the QO with his injury history? LOL. He´d be playing for Cousins money right now, if he did that.

Embiid and Zion accepted injury protection clauses, but the Mavs could not have done it with a far inferior player? As usual they were just too lazy to put in the hard work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 05:58 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: There was no danger that he´d leave. He was a RFA. What was he gonna do? Sign the QO with his injury history? LOL. He´d be playing for Cousins money right now, if he did that.

Embiid and Zion accepted injury protection clauses, but the Mavs could not have done it with a far inferior player? As usual they were just too lazy to put in the hard work.

He could have bet on himself, yes.  Never underestimate how unattractive it is to be on the Mavericks.
Like Reply
Cow, I lol’d at the cheesy DP joke.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • cow
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 05:43 PM)cow Wrote: Three FRPs and contract dumps
2 FRP, a known bust of a FRP and a group of malcontents about a rookie that was taking over the team.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 07:15 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: 2 FRP, a known bust of a FRP and a group of malcontents about a rookie that was taking over the team.

DSJ still had potential.  Three.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 07:33 PM)cow Wrote: DSJ still had potential.  Three.
As far as NY thought, sure. Us having a close up look at him (and we’re talking about competent FOs), not so much.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 07:35 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: As far as NY thought, sure. Us having a close up look at him (and we’re talking about competent FOs), not so much.

I think that's a little hindsight in your view.  Yes he was a malcontent but that's not hard to imagine with Uncle Rick and Doncic.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 07:37 PM)cow Wrote: I think that's a little hindsight in your view.  Yes he was a malcontent but that's not hard to imagine with Uncle Rick and Doncic.
So I will concede, around the league, if they did another trade he would have counted as the equivalent of a first round asset.
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 07:44 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So I will concede, around the league, if they did another trade he would have counted as the equivalent of a first round asset.

Or young talent.  However you want to classify it.
Like Reply
DSJ would be a serviceable starting PG at the minimum right now if his development wasn’t stopped by a future top 20 all time player change my mind.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(07-11-2022, 07:52 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: DSJ would be a serviceable starting PG at the minimum right now if his development wasn’t stopped by a future top 20 all time player change my mind.
Who stopped his future in NY? Por?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Kidnova
Like Reply