Poll: How do you grade this trade?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
65.67%
44 65.67%
A-
26.87%
18 26.87%
B
4.48%
3 4.48%
B-
2.99%
2 2.99%
C
0%
0 0%
C-
0%
0 0%
D
0%
0 0%
D-
0%
0 0%
F
0%
0 0%
Total 67 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU
We are not done yet.  Still want another big.
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • hakeemfaan, ItsGoTime, MrGoat, Okstate819
Like Reply
If Wood can play as good as Powell did on defense then this move will work out fabulously.

(06-16-2022, 10:27 AM)cow Wrote: We are not done yet.  Still want another big.

Do you not feel like we have 3 playable bigs now or this more of a "we still need rim protection" sort of thought (which I can get behind)?  Would you want to move Powell for another big because I could see that happening.
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 10:37 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: If Wood can play as good as Powell did on defense then this move will work out fabulously.

Do you not feel like we have 3 playable bigs now or this more of a "we still need rim protection" sort of thought (which I can get behind)?  Would you want to move Powell for another big because I could see that happening.

Just saw Wood allows 63.1% at the rim. That's even worse than Powell. We can hope that number improves under Kidd but he could make a decent sized improvement in that regard and still be bad. I think it would be wise if one of those extra spots goes to some sort of defensive minded rim protecting big for the times we're getting punked by a more traditional big like Looney
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 10:42 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Just saw Wood allows 63.1% at the rim. That's even worse than Powell. We can hope that number improves under Kidd but he could make a decent sized improvement in that regard and still be bad. I think it would be wise if one of those extra spots goes to some sort of defensive minded rim protecting big for the times we're getting punked by a more traditional big like Looney

I agree that we didn't improve rim protection but we improved defensive rebounding by A LOT.  The number of times we played good defense but didn't finish the possession with a rebound was really painful.  Not saying we shouldn't be trying to improve rim protection but saying that if Wood can just prove to be as switchable as Powell then we improve our defense simply by adding a much better rebounder in the front court.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
I think Wood is good enough offensively that were going to want him in closing lineups regardless of matchup (instead of Bullock against certain teams). However difficult it may be, it would be a home run to still figure out a way to bring a legit starting 5 like Turner or Capela. Wood is best suited as 4 imo but has the ability to play 5 in our system.
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 09:46 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is kind of where I am, too. I find myself wondering if they'll even use that TP MLE like we're hoping (forget that TE, lol). I think they might make a run at a vet like Dragic, and they might use part of that MLE to offer above the minimum to a couple of guys like that, maybe. 

This was the big swing of the summer, imo.

I agree this was the big swing, but I will be a little disappointed if we don't get someone interesting with the tax MLE (the TE was always a pipe dream).  I realize its a big tax hit in year 1, but not fond of penny pinching when we just went to WCF.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 10:56 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: I think Wood is good enough offensively that were going to want him in closing lineups regardless of matchup (instead of Bullock against certain teams). However difficult it may be, it would be a home run to still figure out a way to bring a legit starting 5 like Turner or Capela. Wood is best suited as 4 imo but has the ability to play 5 in our system.

I think we are going to have to get used to the concept of undersized 5s.  That seems to be where both the league and the Mavs are headed.  It would make sense to get a bruiser at the vet min that we can throw out there when handy, but my guess is Wood is penciled in at the 5.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Jommybone, KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 11:00 AM)mvossman Wrote: I think we are going to have to get used to the concept of undersized 5s.  That seems to be where both the league and the Mavs are headed.  It would make sense to get a bruiser at the vet min that we can throw out there when handy, but my guess is Wood is penciled in at the 5.

Yea I tend to agree this is the direction they'll go. Part of me does wonder if they view Wood more in the mold of long coveted John Collins offensively though and Nico has something else in mind for the rim protector/rebounder role he's talked about. Wood may just be a talent acquisition that fell in their lap rather than them going out and filling the 5 man need. The concern is that come playoff time, the "vet min bruiser" is very unlikely to be good enough to play in closing lineups, but again i agree its likely this is what they do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Honestly, it's nearly impossible to forecast the Mavs next move. Much of how we approach this will be dependent on what other teams want. I'm not sure any of us could have predicted the Wood trade as it stands. Houston may not actually keep any of the players we traded to them. It's hard to imagine a trade where a team is happy acquire 4 players it doesn't really want - even if it makes some sense. There are surely other teams with needs (or cap demands) we can't see or predict. Some front offices are a lot nuttier than ours have ever been.

The only thing worth predicting is whether there are more moves the Mavs can make - and how much Cuban will be willing to pay into the tax.

Well I guess I can predict that this message board won't stop predicting... that one is sort of baked in.
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 10:37 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Do you not feel like we have 3 playable bigs now or this more of a "we still need rim protection" sort of thought (which I can get behind)?  Would you want to move Powell for another big because I could see that happening.

Wood's rebounding should be a revelation.  Powell has shown that he can become unplayable quickly in the playoffs.  I still wouldn't mind an inexpensive veteran on a one year.  McGee checks those boxes for me.   I'd love Looney but I think he'll be too expensive.  I would have said D12 last year but I think he might be washed.  Some other names have been floated around here too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 10:42 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Just saw Wood allows 63.1% at the rim. That's even worse than Powell. We can hope that number improves under Kidd but he could make a decent sized improvement in that regard and still be bad. I think it would be wise if one of those extra spots goes to some sort of defensive minded rim protecting big for the times we're getting punked by a more traditional big like Looney

Wood was probably playing drop in Houston. In Dallas I think he will switch the PnR.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StepBackJay's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
We need another wing unless they fee Josh can continue to improve and we definitely need to explore every option to move out Powell for a tougher defensive minded rebounding big( a bit undersized is fine too as long as he can switch on guards and hold his own). Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me all these years, shame on the previous MBT.
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 09:33 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Really good "room conversation" turned into a podcast here. I'm normally not a Kirk fan, really, but during this one, Stein, Dameris and KOC all drop in and discuss this trade at some point. It's worth a listen. 

https://twitter.com/KirkSeriousFace/status/1537303248540946434?s=20&t=3LvWi9m5fteobVAQ9My0zQ

Thanks for posting.  I could not get through it though.  They had a guest on at the  30 minute mark whose fire alarm was constantly beeping.  I mean come on.  I had to turn off.  May forward and listen later.
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 11:33 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Wood was probably playing drop in Houston. In Dallas I think he will switch the PnR.

His defense is something to monitor.  Will he do all the small things championship teams need done.  He will probably be looked at to finish games so being able to be counted on will be important.  Also, how does he handle not getting closing minutes some games.

We boat raced Houston late in the season.  Wood was clearly going thru the motions and his defense was bad.  Just a poor showing.  He was not the only one though.  The whole Houston team on defense was awful.  Dallas kept on getting to the rim whenever they wanted.
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 11:41 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Thanks for posting.  I could not get through it though.  They had a guest on at the  30 minute mark whose fire alarm was constantly beeping.  I mean come on.  I had to turn off.  May forward and listen later.

Stein comes on at 47:30

"Mav's HQ is ecstatic they are getting a player on a one year flyer to see if he will play the D he needs to play to stick"
"They weren't going to draft a better player than Christian Wood with the 26th pick"
"Mav's have a high level of confidence because Sean Sweeny has coached him in Detroit"

KOC comes on at 57:30

"I love him for Dallas.  I know he has some limitations defensively, but let's look at what he is.  He is everything Dallas wishes it had in KP.  They raised their ceiling.  This will be the best version of him that's been seen his entire career".  

Still listening
[-] The following 7 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Jmaciscool, Kammrath, KillerLeft, MFFL, Paul Gasol, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 11:30 AM)cow Wrote: Wood's rebounding should be a revelation.  Powell has shown that he can become unplayable quickly in the playoffs.  I still wouldn't mind an inexpensive veteran on a one year.  McGee checks those boxes for me.   I'd love Looney but I think he'll be too expensive.  I would have said D12 last year but I think he might be washed.  Some other names have been floated around here too.

McGee's return to Dallas is one I'd be happy about, great size and length, his rim protection stats are elite and he's such a freak athlete he's still pretty athletic despite his age. Can only play so many minutes but hopefully only need so many minutes out of him, checks all of the boxes

If Hartenstein could be had for the MLE I'd want it. Like McGee elite rim protection stats and would help bring a more physical presence down low when needed. Can shoot, too. Very well may be out of our price range though

We probably put Looney out of our price range by the way we played against him in the WCF. D12 is really getting up there.

I wonder what Bamba would cost
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 12:02 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Stein comes on at 47:30

"Mav's HQ is ecstatic they are getting a player on a one year flyer to see if he will play the D he needs to play to stick"
"They weren't going to draft a better player than Christian Wood with the 26th pick"
"Mav's have a high level of confidence because Sean Sweeny has coached him in Detroit"

I´m so tried of that 2nd line. It´s like saying you take the 28 year old that runs the 100 metres in 10.3 over the 12 year old Usain Bolt who runs it in 10.4.

This lazy garbage is so annoying.

At the same stage of his career Christian Wood was undrafted. Of course the player won´t be better now. Of course none of these journalists come back, when some players drafted 26th pick or lower become the next Jimmy Butler, Nikola Jokic, Rudy Gobert or Draymond Green in 2-3 years and for the next decade forward, too.

Maybe instead of re-signing Jalen Brunson this summer, we just offer Victor Oladipo the TP-MLE. Much cheaper and better player, too. Afterall in 2018 Victor Oladipo was an All-Star and Jalen Brunson was a 34th pick. This how this works, right? Shy Rolleyes

You wonder why all these other dumb franchises like Golden State even make these late draft picks. Guess they haven´t studied the new CBA like Cuban.

Though it is good that Sweeney has some inside knowledge on Wood. At least I trust him more than the Mavs FO leftovers from the Wood SummerLeague stint.
Like Reply
Low-ish bar here but some perspective: 

Under Carlisle, Powell's best "shots defended at the rim percentage" was 59% on 4.4 attempts/game when the Mavs ranked 18th best in defense. Besides that one season (19-20), Powell's % has been 64% or higher as a main rotation player. 

Under Kidd last season, Powell's % was 62.7% on on 3.8 attempts/game. Mavs defense finished 7th.

Last year, on the WORST defense in the league, Wood's % was 63.1% on 5.5 attempts/game. 

In 2020-21 season, the Rockets finished 27th in defense. Wood's % was 57.4% on 6.2 attempts/game, better than Powell's best season ever, fwiw.

In Detroit, Wood's % was 56.9% on 4.1 attempts/game, again much better than Powell. Detroit had a bottom 10 defense.

You can even add Porzingis in the mix. Good rim protection numbers but below average defense as a team until Kidd arrived and turned them elite, and that is with KP missing a lot of games and eventually exiled to DC. Powell can move his feet and help out on perimeter more often than KP. 

Point being, a big's switchability on defense is more important than rim protection but that doesn't mean you need none of the latter. Wood has been deemed a hybrid of Kleber + Powell on offense (rim running, 3PT maker) but I think he is also a hybrid of Kleber + Powell on defense -- mobile, and can protect the rim at a reasonable rate. The cherry on top is Wood's rebounding ability. 

Mavs are the best defense system Wood will be a part of by far.
[-] The following 12 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, embellisher, ItsGoTime, Jommybone, Kammrath, MFFL, michaeltex, mvossman, Okstate819, Paul Gasol, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/basketbllnews/status...1897094144
Like Reply
RE: Wood vs. Turner

I am sooo much happier with Wood than Turner. Wood is much more the prototype big that I think the Mavs need for their new system.
Like Reply