Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/statu...7417442304
Like Reply
There are basically two available "high dollar" centers who could conceivably be available for trade who'd I'd have interest in for the Mavs:

1) Myles Turner - they can't afford the assets ask, I don't think, but if the price is cheaper than what I imagine, I'm into it. Still, the injury concerns are significant, so there is risk here, even at "too good to be true" trade-asset prices. 

2) Clint Capela - pretty easy to see that he's about to be part of a package to PHX for Ayton. I've been saying that since he didn't get his extension last offseason. You don't have to be psychic to see that one coming. 

If there's another "high-dollar" guy out there (I know we're torn on Gobert, but we've talked about him) I'm missing, let me know.

(06-11-2022, 02:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/statu...7417442304

Yes, Ayton will be a Hawk. They've been trying to make that happen for a year now. That means Capela will be a Sun. The Suns will get the better end of that deal and will be better next season. Who will go with him? Heurter? Hunter?
Like Reply
(06-11-2022, 02:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: There are basically two available "high dollar" centers who could conceivably be available for trade who'd I'd have interest in for the Mavs:

1) Myles Turner - they can't afford the assets ask, I don't think, but if the price is cheaper than what I imagine, I'm into it. Still, the injury concerns are significant, so there is risk here, even at "too good to be true" trade-asset prices. 

2) Clint Capela - pretty easy to see that he's about to be part of a package to PHX for Ayton. I've been saying that since he didn't get his extension last offseason. You don't have to be psychic to see that one coming. 

If there's another "high-dollar" guy out there (I know we're torn on Gobert, but we've talked about him) I'm missing, let me know.

Yes, Ayton will be a Hawk. They've been trying to make that happen for a year now. That means Capela will be a Sun. The Suns will get the better end of that deal and will be better next season. Who will go with him? Heurter? Hunter?

Behind Gobert, Capela would be my next choice. He would be a perfect fit in Dallas.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
(06-11-2022, 03:02 PM)audiosway Wrote: Capela would be my next choice. He would be a perfect fit in Dallas.

I'd love Capela. If they can find a way to get him, I'm in. 

I'll say again: I'll be shocked if he's not a PHX Sun next season.
Like Reply
(06-11-2022, 02:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, I guess I just took it a different way than you. Again, taking this quote at face value and trusting it (huge if's, I get that), my takeaway was less about free agency (seems obvious that they can't afford more in free agency, so how could that news be helpful in any way to anyone) and more about what funds they want to allocate to the center position under any circumstances. 

You might be right, not sure.

This was an article about Robinson, not Dallas. He tried to fit Mavs into the conversation, and was told he made too much money to interest the Mavs. His wording says that Mavs are only looking at "free agent centers" who will be cheaper, and we know why.

But it doesn't mean that's necessarily their one and only pool of prospects to meet that need.

I can see them considering free agents like Smith or Hartenstein who seem likely to be available in that range. Arguing against them using free agency is the fact that puts them at 18 (adding 1, subtracting 0) bodies.
Like Reply
(06-11-2022, 02:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes, Ayton will be a Hawk. They've been trying to make that happen for a year now. That means Capela will be a Sun. The Suns will get the better end of that deal and will be better next season. Who will go with him? Heurter? Hunter?

It is going to be hard for ATL to do a deal for Ayton. They are close or over the apron already, (9 players, 153M in contracts, pick 16 will cost them 3.5M more). Ayton will be base year, most likely.

Maybe they would want to trade down and save some cap cost?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/1...CBm0c0Cvzw&s=19
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
It's amazing to me how badly the Suns have mishandled Ayton.
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • MrGoat, SleepingHero
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/statu...5607530497
Like Reply
(06-11-2022, 09:51 PM)Branduil Wrote: It's amazing to me how badly the Suns have mishandled Ayton.

I agree that they're not in an ideal situation right now. 

Having said that, do YOU think giving Ayton a max contract is a good idea? For anyone? Because that's what he is holding out to get, and that's why he hasn't extended yet. Short of giving him that offer, I'm not entirely sure what they could've done differently. I mean, they obviously could've controlled the narrative a bit more effectively. But what real-life action should they have taken (besides just drafting Luka instead)?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/statu...5760089088
Like Reply
(06-12-2022, 12:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Having said that, do YOU think giving Ayton a max contract is a good idea? For anyone? Because that's what he is holding out to get, and that's why he hasn't extended yet. Short of giving him that offer, I'm not entirely sure what they could've done differently. I mean, they obviously could've controlled the narrative a bit more effectively. But what real-life action should they have taken (besides just drafting Luka instead)?

I think Ayton is such a surefire max contract I'm shocked the Suns aren't giving it to him and are looking elsewhere. 

Is my viewpoint probably faulty because I view Ayton as the perfect archetype center next to Luka and am willing to pay for that? Probably. But Ayton is 23, coming off another double-double season where he's been apart of a team that went to the finals AND had 60+ wins. 

He's a switchable center that can score from almost everywhere from the FT-line down, and in my opinion was never utilized properly by the Suns.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Not sure why Indy would need Fournier, as they already have Hield. But if they take Fournier and assets for Brogdon and then trade Hield for assets, they could come out as big winners. 

So, Fournier and Dallas 2023 pick for Brogdon could make sense. Price would be likely much higher for Turner.
Like Reply
(06-12-2022, 01:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think Ayton is such a surefire max contract I'm shocked the Suns aren't giving it to him and are looking elsewhere. 

Wow, OK! Fair enough!

I think he's good. I'm not sure I think he's that good, but if you do, I can see how you'd be shaking your head right now at the Suns.
Like Reply
(06-12-2022, 01:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think Ayton is such a surefire max contract I'm shocked the Suns aren't giving it to him and are looking elsewhere. 

Is my viewpoint probably faulty because I view Ayton as the perfect archetype center next to Luka and am willing to pay for that? Probably. But Ayton is 23, coming off another double-double season where he's been apart of a team that went to the finals AND had 60+ wins. 

He's a switchable center that can score from almost everywhere from the FT-line down, and in my opinion was never utilized properly by the Suns.
Interesting take considering CP3 is pretty much the C whisperer. If we could keep mostly the same team and add a maxed out Ayton? I’d do it. Basically anyone like Cha who could view him as the missing piece I think should want him at max. He might be an overpay at max, but unless he goes on a KP-like injury streak, the overpay will not be so bad that it fully hinders team building (just don’t overpay too many others).
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-12-2022, 01:40 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Interesting take considering CP3 is pretty much the C whisperer.

Exactly. 

CP3, though not the player Luka is at this point, might be the only other player in the conversation for best pick-and-roll guard in the whole league. 

Based on that, isn't the situation with Ayton almost exactly like what happened here with Porzingis (minus the injuries, of course)? A guy whose job is to set picks and draw a defender by providing a vertical threat who feels like he's underused in that role? Wouldn't he clog the middle of the floor in pretty much the exact same way, and wouldn't giving him a max extension provide him with the mental ammo he needs to feel like he deserves the ball when/where he wants, just like it did for Porzingis? 

I agree, the health profiles are significantly different, and that alone makes Ayton more attractive. 

I think I've pretty much reached the point where I flat out don't want a high-priced big on the roster. Maybe that's an overreaction, but it seems like there's just so much volatility risk with that these days.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump, michaeltex, mvossman
Like Reply
(06-12-2022, 01:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Based on that, isn't the situation with Ayton almost exactly like what happened here with Porzingis (minus the injuries, of course)? A guy whose job is to set picks and draw a defender by providing a vertical threat who feels like he's underused in that role? Wouldn't he clog the middle of the floor in pretty much the exact same way, and wouldn't giving him a max extension provide him with the mental ammo he needs to feel like he deserves the ball when/where he wants, just like it did for Porzingis? 

I think the big difference is, that Ayton actually can punish smaller guys and be effective in the post.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • AgGiE1991, F Gump
Like Reply
(06-12-2022, 01:53 PM)omahen Wrote: I think the big difference is, that Ayton actually can punish smaller guys and be effective in the post.

Very fair. 

It will be interesting to see where he lands, and whether or not he gets his max. I'm still predicting ATL.
Like Reply
(06-12-2022, 01:59 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm still predicting ATL.

I got my $$ on TOR.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-12-2022, 02:05 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I got my $$ on TOR.

Interesting. I can see it from TOR's perspective (which is primarily what matters, because Ayton is a FA). 

What do you think the SNT package might look like?
Like Reply