Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
Listened to Fisher today.

He mentioned Dallas connections to three players:

Thybulle (speculated, due to the return Morey got, that Dallas would've had to pony up either Green or the '27, which they obviously wouldn't have done)

BOTH Bogdaonvich guys, ATL and DET (said neither player was being "sold" really, despite assumptions that Bojan would be, so the asking price for either was way too steep).

Personally, I find it interesting that they weren't more serious about Collins. Doesn't seem like ANY team is serious about him. Who knows, maybe the asking price is crazy. Fisher seemed to think he'd be a Sun now if the Durant thing hadn't have happened.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 05:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Listened to Fisher today.

He mentioned Dallas connections to three players:

Thybulle (speculated, due to the return Morey got, that Dallas would've had to pony up either Green or the '27, which they obviously wouldn't have done)

BOTH Bogdaonvich guys, ATL and DET (said neither player was being "sold" really, despite assumptions that Bojan would be, so the asking price for either was way too steep).

Personally, I find it interesting that they weren't more serious about Collins. Doesn't seem like ANY team is serious about him. Who knows, maybe the asking price is crazy. Fisher seemed to think he'd be a Sun now if the Durant thing hadn't have happened.

Wouldn't we say, at this point, that Collins' contract is negative?
[-] The following 3 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 07:30 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Wouldn't we say, at this point, that Collins' contract is negative?

Very much so. So much so that I'd love to take a 1st in order to take his contract off their hands. ATL only can move their 2029 first right now due to protections. Wood went for a late first last time he was moved so maybe that's still a possibility.

If we can grab that, then we can package 24, 26, 28 this summer to grab that 2-way all-star wing and go to work.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 08:19 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Very much so. So much so that I'd love to take a 1st in order to take his contract off their hands. ATL only can move their 2029 first right now due to protections. Wood went for a late first last time he was moved so maybe that's still a possibility.

If we can grab that, then we can package 24, 26, 28 this summer to grab that 2-way all-star wing and go to work.

Butler.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 08:58 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Certainly for the rest of the regular season, I hope Hardy is getting this 1/2 slot.

Luka and Kyrie would play together for 8, separate for 4 for one and 4 for the other and play the final 8 together.  That is 40 a game.  It may not happen against San Antonio in the regular season, but probably will in playoff games.  Reggie and Green will do something similar.  You just won't be able to take those guys off the floor.

The issue is that leaves VERY limited minutes for Powell and Wood.  Powell goes back to shorter stints (he is the anti-Green.  Green's productivity skyrockets with extra minutes.

I've read people say several times recently that Powell was "unplayable" in the playoffs.  That just isn't true.  He was +6.8 and +8.1 On-Court during the last two playoffs.  His On-Minus-Off has been +8.7 and +16.7.  He's impacting winning, he just needs to be managed properly to get that result.  Maxi was actually -1.4 and -8.8 On Court the last two playoff runs.  The good news is we have another option or two beyond just these guys.  The good news is McGee was a gross and net negative in last years playoffs and Wood has never sniffed the playoffs.  He may be just as 'unplayable'..

You were commenting ^ above and expanding on this below -- 

Bigs - Powell, Wood   (1/2 a slot to McGee)
...Swing - Maxi
Wings -  Reggie and THJ
...Swing - Green
Playmaker - Luka, Ky  (1/2 a slot to Hardy)

Previously I replied with the idea that maybe Kidd still has some things to figure out, and that maybe defining what their needs are is still evolving. After yet another impressive game, I think that even more.

To me, the shift to a style featuring pace, running as much as possible, motion, limited iso, ball hopping, and simply being more aggressive may bring out more usefulness in some of the current roster than we previously imagined.

One example -- At the moment, it looks to me like all of McGee, Pinson, and Hardy are good players if used. Bullock is again a dead-eye shooter. Add those guys into the mix as players you WANT to get on the court, and there's no leftover minutes -- in fact, when Luka and Maxi come back, you kinda have too many.

Bigs - Powell, Wood, McGee
...Swing - Maxi
Wings -  Reggie, THJ
...Swing - Green, Pinson
Playmaker - Luka, Kyrie, Hardy

OR ANOTHER WAY TO LOOK AT IT

Bigs - Powell, Wood, McGee
Wings -  Reggie, Green, Maxi, THJ 
Playmaker - Luka, Kyrie, Hardy, Pinson

You're more than 3 deep in all your types of rotations. You do have TOP players who call fill multiple categories if needed (ie, Luka, Maxi, Green).

Each and every one of those players (yes, even McGee and Pinson, players which we all felt were useless) has really been helpful lately, and it's not against bad teams. I don't mind seeing any of those on the floor, and look forward to see what they might do. (And if THJ goes into wild shooter mode, plenty of ways to sit him and not be hurting.)

I don't feel there's going to be a need to overplay anyone to fill the playoff minutes, if this attacking style continues to be used and be this effective.

It also makes me wonder -- I have to figure that this shift didn't happen by accident. They didn't just stumble on the court in Utah and accidentally start playing this way. So, has Kidd been sand-bagging a bit by not doing this earlier? And if so, why? Maybe was the previous snail's pace of play his methodology for trying to lessen the wear and tear on bodies over a long grueling season that will even get much longer if you go very far?
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 01:16 AM)F Gump Wrote: Maybe was the previous snail's pace of play his methodology for trying to lessen the wear and tear on bodies over a long grueling season that will even get much longer if you go very far?

I'm beginning to think that Kidd doesn't care as much about the regular season as we fans do. While I'm sure that he would like to get a top seed, making the playoffs with a top 6 record seems to be the goal.

Rest for the season and trying things to see if they work seems to be the priority.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 09:13 AM)MFFL Wrote: I'm beginning to think that Kidd doesn't care as much about the regular season as we fans do. While I'm sure that he would like to get a top seed, making the playoffs with a top 6 record seems to be the goal.

Rest for the season and trying things to see if they work seems to be the priority.

Absolutely, the regular season for him is to find what works and what doesn’t so that when the playoffs come around, he has all the answers to the questions.
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 09:13 AM)MFFL Wrote: I'm beginning to think that Kidd doesn't care as much about the regular season as we fans do. While I'm sure that he would like to get a top seed, making the playoffs with a top 6 record seems to be the goal.

Beginning to think?  

I think it is absolutely clear.  I suspect they start to take things more seriously from here on.  Last year Luka missed two regular season games after 1/9.  What drives me crazy is we often forfeit games against bad teams.  But, if you think about it, if you are confident you can get a top 4 seed (and that is all you care about), then those games don't help you measure yourself at all. They only let you pad your stats.  Outside of players actually being hurt, we tend to try more against good teams.
Like Reply
(02-11-2023, 01:16 AM)F Gump Wrote:  

To me, the shift to a style featuring pace, running as much as possible, motion, limited iso, ball hopping, and simply being more aggressive may bring out more usefulness in some of the current roster than we previously imagined. 

It also makes me wonder -- I have to figure that this shift didn't happen by accident. They didn't just stumble on the court in Utah and accidentally start playing this way. So, has Kidd been sand-bagging a bit by not doing this earlier? And if so, why? Maybe was the previous snail's pace of play his methodology for trying to lessen the wear and tear on bodies over a long grueling season that will even get much longer if you go very far?

I hope you are right about style.  I'm dubious that Luka won't pound the rock more than we want (and THJ and Wood are always susceptible to ball stopping and 'getting their's' more than I'd prefer).  We tended to play a beautiful brand of ball movement last season when Luka sat, but it didn't always translate to it continuing when he came back into the game.  I'm really curious to see how this plays out.  There are so many more options available with Kyrie and the emergence of Green and Hardy.  I've long said I'd much prefer 27 point 11/12 assist Luka to 34/8 Luka.  He's got the ability to be whichever he chooses, which is kind of amazing.

Back to playoff rotations.  Luka's return is going to wipe out the Pinson minutes and some of the Hardy minutes (hopefully not all of them) and maybe some THJ minutes compared to what he gets currently.  I like the way you are looking at this generally.  I really think Green and Bullock have achieved 'one on the floor at all times' status.  They got 36/37 minutes yesterday.  The key to whether they will be over-used will be how they play Maxi.  Luka and Kyrie will get about 72 of 96 minutes at the one and two in the playoffs.  Give the remaining 24 to THJ.  I still think Bullock and Green will also split about 72.  That leaves 24 wing minutes for Maxi and 48 for some combination of the 3 centers.  If Maxi eats any center minutes then the PT for the others will go up.   They could go to THJ (and maybe even Hardy), but if they don't, then they go to someone from among Luka, Irving, Green and Bullock and I've got those four already averaging 36 each.

Center (DP/CW/JM)  48
Wing (Maxi 24, Green/Bullock splitting 72)
Ball Handler (THJ 24, Irving/Luka splitting 72.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump
Like Reply
Hm. Wasn't the rumor a day or two ago it was 2 FRP that was offered for DFS? That one looked strong, but several SRP seems like an offer that was rightfully rejected.

Mavericks, Nets Were Each Offered Multiple 2nd Round Picks For Dorian Finney-Smith - RealGM Wiretap
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 11:28 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Hardy is our third ball handler. Get a DFS replacement and lets go.

Would you look at that... I'm right again.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(03-22-2023, 09:01 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Would you look at that... I'm right again.

Take a number, pal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(03-22-2023, 09:37 PM)cow Wrote: Take a number, pal.

cow was right
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
(03-22-2023, 10:01 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: cow was right

Broken clock, bayyyybeee.
Like Reply
(08-24-2022, 01:46 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I am thankful for the T-pups. Whenever I have a problem with something the Mavs front office does, I can just remind myself that these MFs traded 3 decent players, 4 1sts, a 1st swap, and the dude they just picked in the first round to go TWIN FUCKING TOWERS IN 2022. LMFAOOOOO
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply