Poll: Do the Mavs finally win in the Bay Area and extend the series?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
80.00%
4 80.00%
No
20.00%
1 20.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLAYOFF WCF GAME 5: DAL (1-4) vs. GSW (4-1) | 110-120 loss
Great season. Disappointing end, but great season nonetheless. The team is ahead of schedule and the bar has been raised for next year. Very excited for the future, the off-season is gonna be tough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DrMav's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
A good run but they still need a lot of work. Simply running it back and making minor upgrades doesn't even guarantee advancing out of the 1st round. Depending on matchups, the shots could simply just not go in for a series and they can be sent home early like Utah this year
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
I expected last series to end up like this one, so nothing to be sad about with what this group accomplished. I really hope they don't run it back!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • MaxiThreeba
Like Reply
(05-26-2022, 10:20 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: More like Cuban'd.

Yeah.  Contracts to WCS, Boban and the Powell extension.  

Our starting center had 6 rebounds in 5 games this series.  Our center rotation had 30 rebounds thanks to Maxi grabbing 16 over the last two games.
Like Reply
(05-26-2022, 10:26 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I expected last series to end up like this one, so nothing to be sad about with what this group accomplished. I really hope they don't run it back!

They can't run it back. But how are they going to improve? They're handcuffed from making big moves. The West will be even tougher next year when key players will be back from injury on Denver and the Clippers, and young teams like Memphis, N.O. and Minnesota on the rise.
Like Reply
(05-26-2022, 10:31 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: how are they going to improve?

[Image: luka-doncic-dallas-mavricks.gif]
Like Reply
(05-26-2022, 10:31 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: They can't run it back. But how are they going to improve? They're handcuffed from making big moves. The West will be even tougher next year when key players will be back from injury on Denver and the Clippers, and young teams like Memphis, N.O. and Minnesota on the rise.
Depends on what you think is a big move. I'm not looking for stars coming here, I'm looking for good basketball players. Guys who are non-allstars, but solid basketball players. Guys who have different skillsets than what we already have on the team, and first and foremost, more defenders.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, MaxiThreeba
Like Reply
(05-26-2022, 10:31 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: They can't run it back. But how are they going to improve? They're handcuffed from making big moves. The West will be even tougher next year when key players will be back from injury on Denver and the Clippers, and young teams like Memphis, N.O. and Minnesota on the rise.

-Hope we hit in the draft.
-Get a big with whatever MLE is available to us (even Biyombo largely outperformed our non-Maxi centers).
-Figure out a use for the TPE
-Focus playing either Frank or Josh next season for development purposes
-Re-invent the offense so it's less of Luka, JB (if he resigns), and Spencer deflating the ball.  More player and ball movement.  Bertans is here so make use of his elite skill by running plays for him.  

The team is largely going to look the same.  I'm praying we can get players that can rebound and cut a good chunk of that out of Luka's workload.
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • hakeemfaan, HoosierDaddyKid, Kammrath, MaxiThreeba
Like Reply

It won’t/can’t happen in one offseason.  But Nico has to continue to undo the incompetent failings of Donnie and Cubes.  He took care of step 1 getting KP out and snagging Dinwiddie with Bertans as the tax. 

Much of what he can do this offseason depends on Cuban’s willingness to pay up for his own mismanagement. 

The TPE and TP MLE are both avenues to rotation players.  Not game changers necessarily but rotation pieces.  Jalen Smith is my pet cat for the TP MLE.  

THJ, Powell, Bertans are all overpaid for their role but not sure what Nico can realistically do there.  THJ would have helped this series and I think could help moving forward.  He also may be the easiest piece to move of those three…I honestly have no idea. 

Mavs should absolutely be in “LT hell” as Cuban put it if he is really committed to building a championship roster around Luka.
Like Reply
(05-26-2022, 10:38 PM)cow Wrote: -Hope we hit in the draft.
-Get a big with whatever MLE is available to us (even Biyombo largely outperformed our non-Maxi centers).
-Figure out a use for the TPE
-Focus playing either Frank or Josh next season for development purposes
-Re-invent the offense so it's less of Luka, JB (if he resigns), and Spencer deflating the ball.  More player and ball movement.  Bertans is here so make use of his elite skill by running plays for him.

I definitely support all five of these. 

But I would add: Another year of maturity from Luka, hopefully including a huge improvement in him taking care of his body.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BolsDamols, HoosierDaddyKid, MaxiThreeba
Like Reply
(05-26-2022, 10:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I definitely support all five of these. 

But I would add: Another year of maturity from Luka, hopefully including a huge improvement in him taking care of his body.

May be blind optimism but I think this is the offseason everyone gets their wish.  Finally a normal NBA schedule and the huge International load won’t be there.  I think this series will sting Luka.  I also think it was great learning for him to see a championship core and how they do things.  

The criticisms of how he came into the season are beyond valid.  But I really think the oddity of the last two NBA seasons coupled with the Olympics had a lot to do with it.  And, as you are fond of saying he still shows enough signs of immaturity that there is huge room for growth there as well. 

Nico has to build a deeper and more diverse roster but it’s also worth noting that the Mavs have a top 5 player (hardest piece to acquire) who still has room for enormous growth in his game.  That’s a scary thought.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaxiThreeba's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(05-26-2022, 10:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I definitely support all five of these. 

He's a competitor so I think he'll take this to heart.  The byproduct of a tinkered offense and capable rebounders, should the Mavs do both, is that he's going to be a hell of a lot less beat up if his stats take a step back.  I also think his percentages would go up if he doesn't have to do everything on a nightly basis.
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • BolsDamols, hakeemfaan, ItsGoTime, MaxiThreeba
Like Reply
Or, here’s another thought exercise. The Mavs keep Luka and Brunson. The Warriors keep Clay, Steph, and Green (none of whom are who they used to be but still are the Golden Sate core). The Warriors could even keep Wiseman, the single otherwise unobtainable player the tank allowed them to get. Then, switch the rest of the rosters, the coaching, and the organizational cultures. Who wins the series then?  That looks like a blowout to me in favor of the Mavs. Probably five games going the other way this time.

There’s nothing meaningful that the Warriors built that is unavailable to the Mavs.  The Mavs have no excuses going forward.
Like Reply
(05-27-2022, 06:50 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Or, here’s another thought exercise. The Mavs keep Luka and Brunson. The Warriors keep Clay, Steph, and Green (none of whom are who they used to be but still are the Golden Sate core). The Warriors could even keep Wiseman, the single otherwise unobtainable player the tank allowed them to get. Then, switch the rest of the rosters, the coaching, and the organizational cultures. Who wins the series then?  That looks like a blowout to me in favor of the Mavs. Probably five games going the other way this time.

There’s nothing meaningful that the Warriors built that is unavailable to the Mavs.  The Mavs have no excuses going forward.

That IS an interesting thought exercise (see what I did there).  I think you are probably right but not because LD/JB are superior to the GS trio.  It is because the rest of GS is really good.  People make a big deal out of the miss on Wiseman, but the difference making move really came when they lost KD and took on the obviously ill-fitting Russell.  Turning that into Wiggins and the pick that became Kuminga (who is absolutely frightening) was a master stroke of GM’ing.

The other thing they’ve done well is collect good and inexpensive depth.  They paid a total of $13mm this season for Poole, Payton, Bjelica, Otto Porter and Looney.  Those guys aren’t stars on their own, but plug into the system well.  Dallas needs to hit on something like this (or like what LAC did with Batum) or at least be willing to do something along the lines of what Phoenix did to get Crowder (who reportedly could have been ours except for our unwillingness to go multi-year to preserve cap room for a Sammy Superstar chase…this time Lowery).
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ThisIStheYear
Like Reply