Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
RB (+12, 18 pts, 2 ast, 2 rbd, 6-10 threes)
4.35%
1 4.35%
DFS (+18, 23 pts, 2 ast, 6 rbd, 4-7 threes)
82.61%
19 82.61%
Luka (+13, 30 pts, 2 stl, 2 blk, 9 ast, 13 rbd, 3-11 threes, 38.5% shooting)
13.04%
3 13.04%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PLAYOFF WCF GAME 4 DIRKIE: Winner DFS (83%) | Runner-up Luka (13%)
(05-25-2022, 09:33 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Why does the award have to be renamed for you to treat it that way, if that is how you want to view it?

No.  I'm not usually involved in "Player of the Game" discussions.  I don't actually view the game in that way.  
Like Reply
(05-25-2022, 10:46 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I added Luka to the list. Went to bed last night before all the complaining. We have always been willing to add a player to the list when requested. Y'all "Luka-Only Fans" are a trip. I miss the "Dirk-Only Fans", a much more mature crowd.

You never added Powell to the Suns Game 7 poll.  Your anti-Diamond bias has to stop, it's tearing us apart.

[Image: 200.gif]
Like Reply
(05-25-2022, 11:19 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I highlighted the shooting of all the players. 

The reason I didn't include Luka in the list was I thought his poor shooting excluded him from having elevated his game above normal. 

You know, I get no benefit (and only grief and shit) from helping manage this board.

So when Luka drops 40+ on good efficiency you want to discredit him for his +/- and defense. Now when he misses a few of his shots he normally makes and the scoring efficiency goes down a little, but he plays great defense, 2nd in +/-, gets 14 boards which is the most out of anyone by a lot (and was a critical issue that needed to be corrected), and came in to save the day after the bench nearly gave up a 30 point lead, you want to discredit him for his scoring efficiency? Sounds like you have some sort of agenda against him and would love it if he got annoyed by the fanbase and left. Ok we're on to you LakersLuvr.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jakeospikez's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(05-25-2022, 10:46 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I added Luka to the list. Went to bed last night before all the complaining. We have always been willing to add a player to the list when requested. Y'all "Luka-Only Fans" are a trip. I miss the "Dirk-Only Fans", a much more mature crowd.

I'm not a "Luka-Only Fan" and I am guessing most of the folks giving you crap are not either.  I would suggest its fairly safe to say that you are probably the most anti Luka of any regular poster on this board and with that you are probably going to take some crap.  

You took great offense at somebody making a "smoking crack" comment not long ago, but your recent responses calling posters "weak willed fans" and "immature Luka-Only Fans" seem way more personal to me.  It's this kind of stuff that chased one the better posters off the board.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Hogmelon, omahen
Like Reply
I personally see myself as more of a "Roddy-Only Fan" who just can't seem to quit the Mavs.
[-] The following 3 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • cow, Kammrath, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-25-2022, 09:32 AM)HitAndRun Wrote: That's to be expected when Kam creates the poll, his hatred for Luka knows no bounds.

Luka led the team in points, rebounds, assists, steals. He was also second in Kam's favorite +/- stat.

Kamm has something against Luka. Maybe he didnt want him in the draft back then, or its some other explanation, I don't know. Once the team loses, its always always Lukas fault. Once the team wins, its 99% of the time always the supporting cast that made it happen. IMO Luka has been fantastic this series and best player by far, and only one out of two of our players having the guts to continuously step up to the moment and the pressure regularly in this series and produce. But lets not only make critics of the above opinion from Kamm, that opinion is fully OK and might be even correct. This is an opinion, and IMO all opinions are fully welcome, and I like to read this still, despite not agreeing with it. It challenges ones other opinions and we need to challenge opinions. Some of the people here are being called Luka fan boys I can read. I am probably included in this group. It's also OK to have such opinion. But on other side, isnt it also OK to be a fan of Luka. This should not be prohibited or anything like that.

The bottom line when you take everything into account is that only 2-3 other guys in NBA history have achieved early in their career what Luka has achieved, and based on this being a fan of such accomplishments of a particular player is fully normal. Its easy as a fan to get too muched used to this and take it for granted, and maybe not realise what a player is actually doing and contributing. Players around Luka are mainly castaways from other teams or lowly drafted players which Luka helped lift their game in the recent years. Its no coincidence that once we drafted Luka, this team became a winning team, heading to playoffs and competing, never accepting losing.

Coming back to voting, the only fair system is listing all players involved that played significant minutes. Because once you remove somebody and only list a few of your favourite players, in doing so you are actually taking the voting as your own decision and process. The only fair thing is to list all players above 5, 10 minutes played and let fans decide who they want to chose for the award. Once you start filtering things on your own, you start making the voting a biased undemocratic process.
Like Reply
(05-25-2022, 11:19 AM)Kammrath Wrote: The reason I didn't include Luka in the list was I thought his poor shooting excluded him from having elevated his game above normal. 

The thinking part in a voting process should be done by the people. All options listed, and people doing the thinking who they think should be chosen.

Basketball is a lot more than "shooting percentage". It needs to be understood in the context of all things involved. Do you shot open 3s or stepbacks? Huge difference. Is the best defender of the defenses on you with help defense close, or the absolute worst? Huge difference. Let people do the thinking, this is what the voting is for.

This series as well as the last against Suns and Jazz, are the best games and performances of Lukas career. I followed him from very early on. He has lifted his game to completely new levels in this playoff and this season. Don't forget that he is leading the team on his shoulders. This is such a heavy weight to carry. Taking the responsibility and leading in such case is extremely difficult task. That is a lot more than shooting percentages.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • Branduil
Like Reply
(05-25-2022, 03:04 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I personally see myself as more of a "Roddy-Only Fan" who just can't seem to quit the Mavs.

I know this is a joke, but this is pretty much me save for Roddy.  I'm a Dirk fan but I'm also a German who grew up in Fort Worth so that's probably the default.  Growing up, our television only concentrated on the Cowboys, Rangers and NASCAR.  I do recall watching the Mavs get eliminated by the Lakers in the playoffs, but Dad's interest was fair-weather at best in that regard.  When I moved overseas in '92, my new friend base introduced me to playing and watching basketball.  Jordan made me love the sport.  Dirk made me love the Mavs.  Mark Cuban made me love Jerry Jones.
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • BasketballJones41, chaparral, Hypermav, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(05-25-2022, 05:02 PM)cow Wrote: Jordan made me love the sport.  Dirk made me love the Mavs.  Mark Cuban made me love Jerry Jones.
I was drinking as I read this and spit some out on my son! Greatness!
Like Reply
Thumbs Up 
(05-25-2022, 05:02 PM)cow Wrote: Mark Cuban made me love Jerry Jones.

Classic...
Like Reply
(05-25-2022, 11:19 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I highlighted the shooting of all the players. 

The reason I didn't include Luka in the list was I thought his poor shooting excluded him from having elevated his game above normal.

And it's fine if you think his poor shooting means he can't have the Dirkie. That's a debate we could have on this board. The issue is when you decide for everyone else that they're also not allowed to have that opinion, when the entire point of the Dirkie is for people to vote and discuss who thought the most valuable player of the game was. I think it's better to have as many options as possible, within reason. I don't think anyone would be upset by Powell and Green being excluded from this poll. But if anyone else on this roster put up the numbers Luka did in this game, they would be running away with the Dirkie and we all know it.

Anyway it's not a huge deal or anything it's just an internet poll, but I hope we can all remember the point of this is just to debate the best basketball player in a game, there's no need to gatekeep opinions on this.
Like Reply
[Image: 18171084_lg.jpg]
Like Reply