Poll: Do the Mavs finally have a good defensive game against the Warriors? O/U Warriors FG%- 43.5
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Over
80.00%
4 80.00%
Under
20.00%
1 20.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLAYOFF WCF GAME 3: GSW (3-0) vs. DAL (0-3) | 100-109 loss
(05-22-2022, 11:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Luka cannot hold Dirk's jock in regard to helping his team win at this point. I hope Luka will get there (and am confident he will at least get close), but Dirk was so much better at naturally elevating the play of those around him. Dirk is an all-time great in that area. 

And yes, I will rant against anyone who isn't carrying their particular weight when it comes to team winning. Luka has been entrusted with transcendent talent and therefore he bears transcendent responsibility. I will hold Luka to a standard WAY HIGHER than anyone else on the team, same as I did for Dirk. I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever claimed Luka is less talented than anyone on the team, he is the best player by far. But he still has a long way to go in figuring out how to consistently and night-in and night-out help his team win, even when they aren't making shots or refs aren't giving him calls, etc.

Are you serious with this? Luka just turned 23 in February. He has surpassed everyone in NBA history at his age outside of Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain.

Luka had 40 points, 11 rebounds, and 3 assists. Do you know why he only had 3 assists? Maxi shot 0-5 and didn't take several shots he was open for because he knew he would miss. Bullock was 0-10. He was 0-7 from 3. When it's not falling drive the lane. 

Jalen Brunson was 2nd on the team in rebounds with 5.

You can talk all you want about +/- but that's a trash stat. When Bullock has the best +/- of the starters at -5 he is supposedly having a great night. HE SCORED ZERO POINTS. That's great that he only allowed 5. But, that's 5 points he didn't score either. Luka had to make that up.

If Maxi hits 2 of his 5 shots that makes it 109-104. If Bullock hits 3 of his 10 it's tied. Let's say Bullock only hits 1-2 pointer of the 3 he shot and 1- 3 pointer of the 7 he shot. It's a tie game. Someone has to put the ball in the basket. And someone has to get the rebounds. Luka had more rebounds than any 2 other players on the team. That can't happen.

As far as the assists, it's not that Luka didn't pass the ball. Guys just missed WIDE open shots all night. And when they missed a few they started making extra hesitant passes because they were too scared to shoot. You will lose that game every time like that.

Most importantly this team needs a rim protector like Gobert, one more shooter at least, and a couple of backup wings that can actually play. That way when Bullock isn't so exhausted from playing defense that he can hit a shot or two.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 7 users Like audiosway's post:
  • Branduil, burekemde, DrMav, hakeemfaan, Mavs2021, mvossman, omahen
Like Reply
We don't even need a rim protector like Gobert, that's overkill. We just need a league-average NBA starting center. If we had the 15th-best starting C in the league, and Nic Batum instead of Josh Green, we might be winning this series right now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • audiosway, burekemde
Like Reply
(05-22-2022, 11:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Luka cannot hold Dirk's jock in regard to helping his team win at this point. I hope Luka will get there (and am confident he will at least get close), but Dirk was so much better at naturally elevating the play of those around him. Dirk is an all-time great in that area. 

And yes, I will rant against anyone who isn't carrying their particular weight when it comes to team winning. Luka has been entrusted with transcendent talent and therefore he bears transcendent responsibility. I will hold Luka to a standard WAY HIGHER than anyone else on the team, same as I did for Dirk. I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever claimed Luka is less talented than anyone on the team, he is the best player by far. But he still has a long way to go in figuring out how to consistently and night-in and night-out help his team win, even when they aren't making shots or refs aren't giving him calls, etc.

The team around Luka is nothing in comparison to what Dirk had in the championship year. Place those same around Luka now and we will see a much better result. Nobody else than Luka showed up this series against GSW. Its a little bit too much for them a WCF pressure. They had all the open looks in the world and at home.
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 12:53 AM)burekemde Wrote: The team around Luka is nothing in comparison to what Dirk had in the championship year. Place those same around Luka now and we will see a much better result. Nobody else than Luka showed up this series against GSW. Its a little bit too much for them a WCF pressure. They had all the open looks in the world and at home.

I mean lowkey Brunson has been the most impactful Mav in the series. The player who is least to blame in this series.

75 OffRtg without Brunson. -42 on offense. Mavs minus Luka in the Clippers series was -35 on offense.

Mavs literally getting killed with Brunson resting in every game this series. Not being able to produce any kind of offense without him.
[-] The following 3 users Like sefant's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Fuerza1, Kammrath
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 12:56 AM)sefant Wrote: I mean lowkey Brunson has been the most impactful Mav in the series. The player who is least to blame in this series.

75 OffRtg without Brunson. -42 on offense. Mavs minus Luka in the Clippers series was -35 on offense.

Mavs literally getting killed with Brunson resting in every game this series. Not being able to produce any kind of offense without him.

Agree. Mavs need to focus the rest of this series on players that produce at least whatever that means. IMO we need go full Bertans mode. This will open up their zone defense as they need to sit high up the court to cover Bertans. He will make the open shots and this will prevent doubling of Luka. I would channel the ball to Luka in the middle outside the arc, and let Bertans be slightly ont he side but not in the corner, next to Luka, and waiting quiet high up the court for Lukas pass. Thats a way to counter the constant doubles. Thats a player they need to respect. Yes we would lose some of our defensive scheme. But lets face it, our defensive scheme doesnt work against GSW as we cant score, and we need something different now.

I wouldnt do more dramatic changes. This is one player and coaching adjustment to slide it our way.

The key is going to be to put some confidence in our players other than Luka and Brunson. That is maybe going to be tricky to achieve and reason we lose this series. But I believe the Bertans move could put some fire into the rest of players. Our role players need to see at least one role player step up, in order for them all to step up? Maybe. Just maybe. This could be Bertans perhaps. Mavs should also consider going Brunson and DSW in same lineup. We just dont get enough skill from DFS and Bullock in this series, as GSW is heavely outmatching us on skill side.

Brunson
Dinwiddie
Luka
Bertans
Maxi

I would do this, it makes full sense given how this series went so far. I know its not the defense we want, but if at least the smaller lineup will kill some of the easy penetration GSW have been doing. Let Bertans kill the zone with sitting high up the court and preventing the Luka doubles around the arc. Play the players that have shown some production against GSW in Brunson, Dinwiddie. Maxi is way better in this series than Powell. Maybe we also need to play more zone with inside coverage with Maxi and Bertans and let Brunson, SD, Luka cover the 3, and just let GSW take the 2s. Just try to get them out of what they are doing best which is penetration and 3s. We need to chanell them into more 2s, which would be a way to achieve this perhaps.
Like Reply
I know what Kamm is really upset about. What Kamm is upset about is the feeling that something is being left on the table as far as Luka not competing hard on defense and also whining and not getting back on defense. The first is correctable if we get better players to take some of the offensive burden off of him. The second he needs to mature. Plain and simple. He is only 23 though. Maybe this whuppin humbles him a bit. 

Where I disagree with Kamm is that it looks like he is throwing the kitchen sink at Luka. No need to mention the on court off court stats. This is not Memphis that won a ton of games without Ja. Plus that team had better on court off court stats as well without Ja. Yet we never saw a national narrative of how that team was better. This team struggled without Luka. Yes he does take inefficient shots but this guy is not Harden(bailed by refs) or a bricklayer like Westbrook.  Luka legit has one of the best fadeaway shots in the game. Plus he can break down anyone 1 on 1. When you have those two things you are going to force up some shots that look bad when they don’t fall.  You just have to live with that. 

Also being unselfish is not always a virtue. There were plenty of times during Dirks career where we felt he should have demanded the ball more. Dirk would also have been targeted repeatedly if he played in this day and age whether he was in shape or more professional. That 2011 run should not create such a romanticized unattainable bar of comparison for Luka when it comes to Dirk. Dirk was also too loyal and wasted years due to that. RC and Donnie would still be here if it was young Dirk in the same situation than Luka. Not necessarily good. In shape or not the blue print of winning a title with Luka has to be  that he will be hunted on defense in this day and age by a team like GS.  Teams have hunted Steph too.  GS has worked around that. Mavs have to do the same with Luka and help him there. 

We are all disappointed and overreacting. This team exceeded expectations and still had its chances despite a glaring hole at center. That too against a coach ( who is unfairly criticized) and a core that has won 3 titles. Make some judicious changes and come back next season if this is the end of this year’s run.
[-] The following 5 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • audiosway, Branduil, omahen, Paul Gasol, rocky164
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 12:53 AM)Branduil Wrote: We don't even need a rim protector like Gobert, that's overkill. We just need a league-average NBA starting center. If we had the 15th-best starting C in the league, and Nic Batum instead of Josh Green, we might be winning this series right now.

I would be happy with a league average or even above league average starting center. Huge need. They also need some vets on the bench like Batum. I couldn't agree more. If you had some guys on the bench that could even take 10 minutes away from Bullock and/or DFS they are likely making more of those open looks. These guys are whipped physically. There just isn't anyone to give them a break.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 2 users Like audiosway's post:
  • Branduil, rocky164
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 01:08 AM)burekemde Wrote: Agree. Mavs need to focus the rest of this series on players that produce at least whatever that means. IMO we need go full Bertans mode. This will open up their zone defense as they need to sit high up the court to cover Bertans. He will make the open shots and this will prevent doubling of Luka. I would channel the ball to Luka in the middle outside the arc, and let Bertans be slightly ont he side but not in the corner, next to Luka, and waiting quiet high up the court for Lukas pass. Thats a way to counter the constant doubles. Thats a player they need to respect. Yes we would lose some of our defensive scheme. But lets face it, our defensive scheme doesnt work against GSW as we cant score, and we need something different now.

I wouldnt do more dramatic changes. This is one player and coaching adjustment to slide it our way.

The key is going to be to put some confidence in our players other than Luka and Brunson. That is maybe going to be tricky to achieve and reason we lose this series. But I believe the Bertans move could put some fire into the rest of players. Our role players need to see at least one role player step up, in order for them all to step up? Maybe. Just maybe. This could be Bertans perhaps. Mavs should also consider going Brunson and DSW in same lineup. We just dont get enough skill from DFS and Bullock in this series, as GSW is heavely outmatching us on skill side.

Brunson
Dinwiddie
Luka
Bertans
Maxi

I would do this, it makes full sense given how this series went so far. I know its not the defense we want, but if at least the smaller lineup will kill some of the easy penetration GSW have been doing. Let Bertans kill the zone with sitting high up the court and preventing the Luka doubles around the arc. Play the players that have shown some production against GSW in Brunson, Dinwiddie. Maxi is way better in this series than Powell. Maybe we also need to play more zone with inside coverage with Maxi and Bertans and let Brunson, SD, Luka cover the 3, and just let GSW take the 2s. Just try to get them out of what they are doing best which is penetration and 3s. We need to chanell them into more 2s, which would be a way to achieve this perhaps.

All sounds good in theory except Bertans would get eaten alive by GS. He can't guard a chair. Would you be ok sacrificing some D for hoping Bertans gets hot from 3 ?  Because if he's not making shots, what else does he give the team?
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 02:18 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: All sounds good in theory except Bertans would get eaten alive by GS. He can't guard a chair.

Maybe he will. We need some adjustment. Maybe this could allow Maxi to cover outside the paint and let Bertans try protect the paint instead. I know he would face troubles doing so, but he would also hopefully provide more trouble on offense, and dictate a shift in tactics. Maybe this could be a bend but dont break strategy. Which would allow our offense to explode.

We need to create a shift in tactics and schemes. There is no other way around.

Im thinking that if we get Bertans, Brunson, SD, going, this will also fire up rest of the team, and show the way. At this very moment, outside of Luka and Brunson, the whole team looks afraid of the moment. I see Bertans as the next player up having the necessary confidence to step up to this occasion and moment. He looks fearless shooting the ball.

We will not be able to play defense before we can score on offense and figure out that zone defense. Its like running against a wall. Bertans i believe is key here as well as Brunson and SD in the same lineup.

Rest of the team cant score on open looks, we need to bring in the guy that can do that and will do that if open.
Like Reply
Down 3-0 I say just give Josh/Frank some more minutes and let them get some experience. They need to be the ones defending Curry/Poole but they're unavailable cause they're too underdeveloped. They need more minutes and DFS/Reggie need less cause those 2 have been playing 40+ minutes every game since the start of the playoffs and need some rest. Chasing the GSW offense around all game just makes it worse.
Like Reply
Mavs defense is build to defend inside-out offense. Stopping penetration with versatile and switchable lineups. Now they are facing a team that is generating pressure from the perimeter. Constant movement and off ball screens. Mavs don´t have an answer. Feels like they are overcompensating. Trying to run them off the 3-point line. But it isn´t working because most players on the Warriors roster can put the ball on the floor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
After watching that brick fest from deep I'd just like to remind everyone that we traded Seth Curry for Josh Richardson
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 05:46 AM)MrGoat Wrote: After watching that brick fest from deep I'd just like to remind everyone that we traded Seth Curry for Josh Richardson

Not true.

We traded Seth Curry for JRich AND Tyrell Terry
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 03:42 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs defense is build to defend inside-out offense. Stopping penetration with versatile and switchable lineups. Now they are facing a team that is generating pressure from the perimeter. Constant movement and off ball screens. Mavs don´t have an answer. Feels like they are overcompensating. Trying to run them off the 3-point line. But it isn´t working because most players on the Warriors roster can put the ball on the floor.

This is astute. The closeouts against this outside-in offense have been pretty terrible from the Mavs and have led to breakdowns across the board.
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 05:57 AM)Branduil Wrote: Not true.

We traded Seth Curry for JRich AND Tyrell Terry

And none of them are still here.
Like Reply
There are only so many ways you can say that they are simply a far more talented team than us, just like the Suns were and probably even the Jazz, if you account for the three Luka-less games.

We overcame two of those teams with great coaching, great effort plus some timely individual performances in crucial games. But now we have reached the end of that road. Our players are exhausted from that effort, the opponent has more depth and experience at the level.

Nobody expected this team to make the WCFs and TheRinger had a great usage article that AI in 2001 (finals) and Harden 2015 (conf. finals) have gotten that far with such lopsided offensive rosters.

Now is actually the time to play with house money and make a plan toward 2024.
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 06:42 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: There are only so many ways you can say that they are simply a far more talented team than us
Like Reply
GS had problems with Stephen Adams in there. Memphis had a ton of shots that they missed. When talking about next season it is advisable to not get so caught up in what happened that we try to let teams like GS dictate their game plan to us. You have to play to your strengths too and hope it works out.  

I am warming up immensely to the idea of Gobert on this team.
[-] The following 2 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • audiosway, rocky164
Like Reply
Gobert is simply too costly for the Mavs to acquire, and I'm not even talking about his contract (the Mavs have plenty of awful contracts for salary matching). We can't mortgage several years of picks for Gobert when we also have a massive problem with the offense stalling which he would do nothing to fix. We can get 50% of what Gobert does for a team for a fraction of the cost.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • Fuerza1
Like Reply
The optics of Luka and the Mavs getting swept would not be ideal.  

Jokic won one versus the Warriors this postseason. The Grizzlies won one without Morant vs Warriors this postseason (and another with Morant). Even Trae Young won 2 games vs the eventual NBA champs Milwaukee Bucks last year in the ECF.
Like Reply