Poll: What has gotten the Mavs to this point without Luka or THJ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Transcendent coaching
15.79%
3 15.79%
A team that is far more talented than people think
5.26%
1 5.26%
A combination of both
78.95%
15 78.95%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
So which is it? Coaching or talent?
(04-22-2022, 05:00 PM)burekemde Wrote: Utah did a lot better with Gobert out. Now, that is something Kidd needs to seriously look at, and be ready to counter, if needed. Utah maybe forced to go in that direction if down 3-1. Or even already the next game.

I think it really needs to be pointed out that most of those minutes they made a run in the third with Gobert out, we were playing a frontcourt of DFS/Bertans.  It was a layup line.  They are not better with Gobert out, they are better when we are not playing a center.
Like Reply
(04-22-2022, 01:18 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Answering the initial question. What happened at the deadline? What should have happened earlier. Addition by subtraction. Getting rid of KP unleashed the quick and versatile small ball lineups. Quick and versatile. Switch heavy. No more drop defense in the pick and roll. No one clogging the paint. Better perimeter defense. Better spacing.
Not to mention that it looks like the chemistry is better than ever. No shot hunting. No one complaining about the lack of touches.

Anyone that needs a reminder of the KP era just needs to watch the Jazz defense. Trying to defend the perimeter with Gobert and Whiteside at center. Giving up wide open corner 3s all game long.

If it was addition by subtraction, I think it was mostly due to a chemistry thing.  The biggest thing that happened at the deadline was Luka going from the worst playing of his career to his best.  Not sure how much that was due to KP vs other things (like starting the season out of shape).  It also helped to get that additional playmaker they really needed (and should have gotten in the offseason).  KP defense involved tradeoffs.  The drop coverage was a hit, but his rim protection was a plus.  I believe their defense was actually better when he was on the court.  I would prefer somebody who can do both (like Maxi) but I don't think he was the huge negative defensively you are making him out to be.
Like Reply
(04-23-2022, 03:54 PM)mvossman Wrote: If it was addition by subtraction, I think it was mostly due to a chemistry thing.  The biggest thing that happened at the deadline was Luka going from the worst playing of his career to his best.  Not sure how much that was due to KP vs other things (like starting the season out of shape).  It also helped to get that additional playmaker they really needed (and should have gotten in the offseason).  KP defense involved tradeoffs.  The drop coverage was a hit, but his rim protection was a plus.  I believe their defense was actually better when he was on the court.  I would prefer somebody who can do both (like Maxi) but I don't think he was the huge negative defensively you are making him out to be.

Gobert is way better than KP in every single defensive category and he is a liability on defense in the playoffs. Just like any other big that cannot defend the perimeter or at least force teams to play big. Punish small ball. Just to easy to play them of the floor.
I have been saying it for a long time. Even when it was way more controversial. Mavs were/are a better team with Kleber/Powell instead of KP.

Absolutely agree that the best case scenario would be a Maxi 2.0. A player that can do it all on defense. But the number of guys in that category is small and I don´t the Mavs are in a position to add one of them anytime soon.

Will be interesting to see what kind of team wins it all. Modern switch heavy/positionless basketball/zone or a more old school team with a traditional center
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • burekemde, omahen
Like Reply
Kidd’s teams have always seemed well coached from a macro perspective. But, at a micro level he just can’t help but make a single idiotic decision or do something inexplicable that wipes all the good work away. Like today.
Like Reply
Transcendent seems like a word you used to make people not want to vote for coaching.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Benskix2's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(04-22-2022, 11:22 AM)windjc Wrote: After the ASB Dallas has had the best record in the league on a win 61.5 game pace.

We are so many acting like we are not contenders?

It was actually Boston who lost one less game, but I digress Dallas was excellent.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/nba-tea...star-break
Like Reply
[Image: bump-post.gif]
Like Reply
Coach Kidd helped the Mavs beat the #1 offense in round 1 with Luka missing half the games then as heavy underdogs beat the #1 seed (18th best regular season record of all time, post ABA-NBA merger) in his first year as Mavs head coach. 

Coaching matters.
[-] The following 7 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • BoredAssistant, DallasMaverick, fifteenth, Kammrath, MFFL, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply