Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
KP (+36, 14 pts, 10 rbds)
0%
0 0%
THJ (+33, 20 pts, 4 asts)
17.07%
7 17.07%
Luka (+45, 35 pts, 11 asts, 10 rbds, 3 stls)
78.05%
32 78.05%
Boban (10 pts, 6 rbds)
0%
0 0%
Jalen (15 pts, 5 asts, 5 rbds)
2.44%
1 2.44%
Lee (12 pts, 2 blks, 4/4 threes)
2.44%
1 2.44%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 14 DIRKIE: Winner Luka (78%) & Runner-up THJ (17%)
Brick 
Who was the "player of the game" that elevated their game above normal to help the team win?
Like Reply
Luka was transcendent... again.  Shout out to THJ for (hopefully) getting back on track to value!  Shout out to RC for pushing that button to get him going.
Like Reply
(11-20-2019, 10:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Who was the "player of the game" that elevated their game above normal to help the team win?
The one and and only STARTER THJr!
Like Reply
(11-20-2019, 10:04 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 10:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Who was the "player of the game" that elevated their game above normal to help the team win?
The one and and only STARTER THJr!

That may be the answer... 

Now... how to get KP to catch fire!  RC for coach of the year if he can get both THJ/KP hitting on all cylinders consistently!
Like Reply
It’s either Luka or Lee. Gave it to Lee for shits and giggles
Like Reply
Luka with one of the most amazing first quarters and one of the most amazing 25 minutes ever.

Honorable mention to THJ, and props to Zinger for 4 straight double doubles.
Like Reply
Well they said Luka is the only player in NBA history to have a triple double in only 25 minutes so I'll go with Luka...

They also said KP's last back to back double double games were in 2016 and if I'm not mistaken that's 4 in a row for him now so that's a great look.

Also KP getting double digit boards in 24 mins is new for him. We expect it cause he's 7'3 but he's always been a horrid rebounder for his height so we can give him some love in that category so far this year!
Like Reply
Luka obviously. But some additional observations:

1. KP is turning into a dominant defensive rebounder. Yes, Luka is also dominating on the boards. But that’s not new. Kristaps appears to be learning the trade. Reminds of Don Nelson saying that Dirk became a rebounder in a way he had never seen before. Can anyone recall that exact quote?

2. That said, how much longer can the narrative endure that Dallas has 2 new superstars when one of them is super duper and the other is, well, becoming a good rebounder and the like. Have to think that becomes a Batman + potential Robin narrative pretty soon. Can KP's ego handle that kind of demotion?

3. The THJ redemption story is a bit much to swallow. Was nice to see hits shots go in. And I really hope I’m eating crow for this take a month or year from now. But I just can’t believe Rick's rotations over my "lyin" eyes. THJ doesn’t look like an NBA starter. He barely looks like a rotation guy. And getting the start won’t fool me into believing otherwise when the guy making the start decisions had Courtney Lee in there not too long ago. (Has to be a ploy to affect trade value, no?)

4. Refs must really hate Dwight. That’s all on that. 

5. Jalen Brunson truly dominates lesser competition. I get the concerns about his athleticism. But dude can ball. Not convinced Seth Curry will be able to keep him outta the starting lineup.
Like Reply
(11-20-2019, 11:54 PM)Jommybone Wrote: KP is turning into a dominant defensive rebounder.

I wouldn't say "dominant" BUT he is turning in a career best 23.1% defensive rebounding percent (he had been a paltry 18% the last two seasons). This is REALLY good news for the Mavs.

(11-20-2019, 11:54 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Can KP's ego handle that kind of demotion?

Yep, he is the one chemistry question mark for me on this team. Can his ego take being so completely in the shadow of the planet known as "Luka Doncic"?

If he doesn't he will be traded and the Mavs will get a good return. If he does (which is what I think will happen) he will evolve into an amazing partner. He is just scratching the surface.
Like Reply
Hard to vote for anyone but Luka in a game the Warriors tanked with so little shame. I would say Lee is runner up because him dropping in 4 threes, even as wide open as they were was still surprising
Like Reply
(11-20-2019, 11:54 PM)Jommybone Wrote: 2. That said, how much longer can the narrative endure that Dallas has 2 new superstars when one of them is super duper and the other is, well, becoming a good rebounder and the like. Have to think that becomes a Batman + potential Robin narrative pretty soon. Can KP's ego handle that kind of demotion?

This has been one of my more bigger worries as the season goes on. And it doesn't help that numerous times Kristaps just seems to be standing out and clapping his hands for the ball and it never comes. It's up to Carlisle to make sure Kristaps has enough opportunities so he can become a true number 2, and its up to Kristaps to knock em down. He's just been playing within the flow so far, and he's looked incredibly good. He's still learning an entirely new system on top of being relegated to being a number 2 and coming back from a 20 month rehab. Given the circumstances I think KP has adjusted remarkably well.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-21-2019, 11:58 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 11:54 PM)Jommybone Wrote: 2. That said, how much longer can the narrative endure that Dallas has 2 new superstars when one of them is super duper and the other is, well, becoming a good rebounder and the like. Have to think that becomes a Batman + potential Robin narrative pretty soon. Can KP's ego handle that kind of demotion?

This has been one of my more bigger worries as the season goes on. And it doesn't help that numerous times Kristaps just seems to be standing out and clapping his hands for the ball and it never comes. It's up to Carlisle to make sure Kristaps has enough opportunities so he can become a true number 2, and its up to Kristaps to knock em down. He's just been playing within the flow so far, and he's looked incredibly good. He's still learning an entirely new system on top of being relegated to being a number 2 and coming back from a 20 month rehab. Given the circumstances I think KP has adjusted remarkably well.
Last night KP ran in from the 3 point line and Luka gave him the easy dunks.  More of that and KP will score plenty of points.  Luka wants those assist numbers and I can't think of many more sure things than KP catching the ball near the rim.  As far as being a number 2, there are just a handful of players that are arguably better than Luka.  I'm a homer so no one in better than Luka.  KP doesn't have to be jealous.
Like Reply
(11-21-2019, 12:04 PM)Hypermav Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 11:58 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:

Last night KP ran in from the 3 point line and Luka gave him the easy dunks.  More of that and KP will score plenty of points.  Luka wants those assist numbers and I can't think of many more sure things than KP catching the ball near the rim.  As far as being a number 2, there are just a handful of players that are arguably better than Luka.  I'm a homer so no one in better than Luka.  KP doesn't have to be jealous.

Don't think he is, doesn't look like it. Everyone is amazed by Luka. At most he is sometimes intimidated.
Like Reply
Easy call for Luka having another record night in only 25 minutes.
Like Reply
KP? Jealous? Dude is sitting on a 150+ million dollar contract for being a "number 2" guy. He's always smiling on the court and high fiving the players, including Luka. 

These dudes go way back; i don't think he really cares. They genuinely seem like they just want to win and go back to playing winning basketball.

But, i have seen times where he is calling for the ball but it doesn't swing to him; but like Rick says, that's on him to get him in better positions.

Nothing to worry about here, imo.
Like Reply
(11-21-2019, 02:23 PM)iolide Wrote: KP? Jealous? Dude is sitting on a 150+ million dollar contract for being a "number 2" guy. He's always smiling on the court and high fiving the players, including Luka. 

These dudes go way back; i don't think he really cares. They genuinely seem like they just want to win and go back to playing winning basketball.

But, i have seen times where he is calling for the ball but it doesn't swing to him; but like Rick says, that's on him to get him in better positions.

Nothing to worry about here, imo.

There is a fundamental difference between average European and American culture.

In Europe people on average get brought up way more group/team oriented, although a shift is happening.

An American is more likely to care about individual performance while a European on average cares more about team performance.

In Europe people in general are more fans of certain clubs compared to specific players.

On average they are more failure avoidance driven than chance driven as well.
Like Reply
The best part of that Euro culture, SportsPsych; is that they rather talk about the team than themselves. Look at the euro starts around the league: Giannis; Jokic, Luka, KP, etc. Heck, Luka looks like he hates talking about himself to the media every night lol
Like Reply
(11-21-2019, 02:28 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: In Europe people in general are more fans of certain clubs compared to specific players.
Hey, we cheer for the laundry here too.  Tongue
Like Reply
(11-21-2019, 02:31 PM)iolide Wrote: The best part of that Euro culture, SportsPsych; is that they rather talk about the team than themselves. Look at the euro starts around the league: Giannis; Jokic, Luka, KP, etc. Heck, Luka looks like he hates talking about himself to the media every night lol

Many of us get that shit beat out of us. But it's not a good trait to survive in a narcistic world. Just makes it easier for those who do not become sheep.

But if everyone is a wolve, society crumbles. 

Luka has the luxury to be able to afford being humble, which in reality is a luxury.
Like Reply