Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLAYOFF ROUND 2 GAME 5: DAL (2-3) @ PHX (3-2) | 80-110 loss
(05-10-2022, 11:37 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: When you're already using a roster spot on a team chemistry/locker room guy like Boban, you better have someone better than Chriss who could possibly be useful when Powell sucks. But nope...we're wasting 3 center spots on guys who can't play in the playoffs

Made worse by the fact that the Suns' trash heap guy got meaningful minutes and far outplayed our starter.
Like Reply
(05-10-2022, 11:43 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Luka and Brunson had 2 assists a piece.  No ball movement whatsoever. Luka was hunting shots and didn't get his teammates involved.

Luka is 5/25 from 3 the last 3 games, 30% for the series...
Like Reply
Had to work and didn't get to see the game. I heard ball movement was bad. Was that true? Was it great defense by PHX or Luka pounding the ball in to the floor and going 1 on 5 too much?
Like Reply
I don't think Luka was hunting shots. He probably shoulda took a few more when he got into the paint a few times and looked for passes. Suns defense was great today, they did a lot of studying and took away a lot of things he likes to do. The assists are way down because the Suns took them away. Bridges played DPOY level today and disrupted a lot of passing lanes.
Like Reply
Probably more "settling" than "hunting"...imo he settled for the 3 ball too much
Too be fair guys also missed a lot of shots, hence the low assist numbers
Like Reply
(05-11-2022, 12:19 AM)LifeAquatic Wrote: Had to work and didn't get to see the game. I heard ball movement was bad. Was that true? Was it great defense by PHX or Luka pounding the ball in to the floor and going 1 on 5 too much?

Phoenix seemed more disciplined on Luka's drive, far less sucking two and three defenders in which let them stay at home on shooters.  Luka and Jalen put up 40 shots.  The rest of our starters had 11 attempts.
Like Reply
Too many Luka post ups starting near the 3 point line. At least get him closer to the basket if you're going to do that. I realize he has a smaller defender on him, but he wasn't getting anywhere and it seemed to bog down the offense.
Like Reply
(05-11-2022, 12:19 AM)LifeAquatic Wrote: Had to work and didn't get to see the game. I heard ball movement was bad. Was that true? Was it great defense by PHX or Luka pounding the ball in to the floor and going 1 on 5 too much?

The ball movement stunk. Yes, PHX played better tonight but Dallas didn't overcome it. They are still a piece or two away I think. I have a feeling they will force a game 7. But, I'm not sure they can win in PHX yet.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
They might force a 7th game, if they shoot lights out again. But I have a sneaky suspicion Phoenix will close them out Thursday. The memory of losing 4 straight to the Bucks will provide the motivation. This is CP's last hurrah.
Like Reply
They really started losing it in the middle of the 2nd quarter, when Luca came back into the game. 
Ball movement stagnated, turnovers happened and shot quality and percentages got worse which resulted in more transition basketball where the Suns are clearly superior
[-] The following 1 user Likes Halfnir's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Why are we so sure Chriss can't play in the playoffs? I would give him some burn, Powell just flat out sucks.

Nobody besides Luka and Brunson showed up on offense tonight, no shot was falling and we panicked through that big run by Phoenix. This happens when you are not experienced in those kind of situations. We played a decent first half overall and kept it close, although shots were not falling and fell apart in the third during that run.

It happens. I still believe we can bounce back but we just can't have multiple no-shows like from Spencer, Powell, Reggie.

I don't get the Luka-hate - it has nothing to do with his conditioning that he had 3 asstists because nobody could hit a shot all night. Luka played the same way he has played for 8 playoff games now...

I agree that our offense was too stagnant and that is also on Luka but that is about as much of blame he will get from me.
[-] The following 4 users Like meistermatze's post:
  • burekemde, omahen, Paul Gasol, Smitty
Like Reply
(05-11-2022, 07:16 AM)meistermatze Wrote: I don't get the Luka-hate
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • burekemde, omahen
Like Reply
(05-11-2022, 07:16 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Why are we so sure Chriss can't play in the playoffs? I would give him some burn, Powell just flat out sucks.

Nobody besides Luka and Brunson showed up on offense tonight, no shot was falling and we panicked through that big run by Phoenix. This happens when you are not experienced in those kind of situations. We played a decent first half overall and kept it close, although shots were not falling and fell apart in the third during that run.

It happens. I still believe we can bounce back but we just can't have multiple no-shows like from Spencer, Powell, Reggie.

I don't get the Luka-hate - it has nothing to do with his conditioning that he had 3 asstists because nobody could hit a shot all night. Luka played the same way he has played for 8 playoff games now...

I agree that our offense was too stagnant and that is also on Luka but that is about as much of blame he will get from me.

Very good recap, imho. Phoenix is a good team and they adjusted from games 3 and 4. CP3 stayed in game and didn't repeat uncharachteristic mistakes he made in Dallas. They played better defense and took care of the ball. Mavs shots were not falling. Both teams have played far better in front of the home crowd so far.
Like Reply
(05-11-2022, 07:16 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Why are we so sure Chriss can't play in the playoffs? I would give him some burn, Powell just flat out sucks.

Chriss is barely an NBA player, let alone a playoff player, but Powell really has been bad the entire playoffs.  I wonder if he might be hurt?

Luka made some perplexing offensive decisions.  Not sure how much was game plan vs just being tired.  When getting switched onto centers he kept taking step back 3s (playing right into Suns hands) and I don't know the point of posting up at the 3 point line.  

Dinwiddie was terrible.  He has to attack the basket.  That's what he does.  Dribbling around for 20 seconds and then taking a contested 3 is what he is objectively bad at.

Just an all around terrible offensive game.  The whole team looks worn down.  Kidd should have probably pulled the starters sooner.  I still think we have a good chance to get it to 7, but if so I hope we give a better effort than this.
Like Reply
Chriss would probably foul out in four minutes.  

I don't think Powell is hurt, this is just a terrible matchup for him.  If he want to stay in the league, he needs to work on a reliable three point shot.
Like Reply

Hi, Life. I wish I had worked rather than watched. Here’s my take, fwiw:

1. Mavs were fine in Qs 1, 2 & 4. Last night was all about Q3. And even then, the defense was fine. We gave up 33 that quarter because of the offensive end, not the defensive end. 

2. What happened in Q3 is the Suns upped the physical intensity, holding on every drive, bumping on every shot, and hacking on every pass. They turned it on like a switch, as if they knew in advance the refs would give them that quarter. In the 8+ minute middle of the period, the Suns outscored us 27-4. It was 51-50 at the 10:27 mark and then 78-54 at 2:03. In that stretch, the Mavs had 8 missed shots (nearly all of which could have been free throws) and 9 turnovers (several of them offensive fouls). A couple of out-of-bounds calls went the wrong way too. The Suns got an iffy flagrant on Doe-Doe. And the Mavs used (and lost) their challenge on a questionable, bucket-erasing call. 

I have quit reading game threads during the game, because the ugly negativity only makes me feel worse. But the reactions I have seen blaming Luka don’t seem right to me. He scored the only points we got in that stretch, and the drive-and-kick strategy just doesn’t work when guys get to jump you. We’d have been better off just jacking up 3s from half court. All I know to do differently is hope game 7 doesn’t get officiated the same way.
Like Reply