Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
So how do we get rid of Dwight
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Mavericks have Warriors 2nd round pick this year and Warriors are currently the worst team in the NBA currently. This is huge considering it is basically a late 1st round pick. THJ + 2nd round pick could get Luka some serious help come playoff time. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/standings/_/group/league
Like Reply
I think Bogdanovic is a realist target, but if he's available he's going to attract a ton of suitors. Do we have the ammo to pull it off?

Now to the Cleveland trade. I'm not a big fan of Thompson at his salary. Only way i'd want Thompson is if we could somehow unload Powell on them.

But if we're talking Cleveland. Lets just shoot for Kevin Love. He's exactly what they wish Powell was, X10. An outside threat who can also rebound and bang a little. He has a decent post game as well. Imagine Luka driving, penetrating, and having the option to kick out to KP, Love, Hardaway, Curry..... Love is a walking double double every night. I also think his personality would fit well with this team. I think that's one of the hesitation points in moving Powell, the team loves him. He's a nice guy. Love is a little different, but he wouldn't upset team chemistry.  Looking at it, he should be target #1 if we cant get someone like Beal, Adams, Griffin or Drummond.

I'm sure they want value for him, but if they are looking to dump him. We could do Powell, Lee, Jackson, Brunson. They would have a ton of cap space next year and could be big players in free agency. Not that anyone wants to go to Cleveland.
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 09:04 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I think Bogdanovic is a realist target, but if he's available he's going to attract a ton of suitors. Do we have the ammo to pull it off?

Now to the Cleveland trade. I'm not a big fan of Thompson at his salary. Only way i'd want Thompson is if we could somehow unload Powell on them.

But if we're talking Cleveland. Lets just shoot for Kevin Love. He's exactly what they wish Powell was, X10. An outside threat who can also rebound and bang a little. He has a decent post game as well. Imagine Luka driving, penetrating, and having the option to kick out to KP, Love, Hardaway, Curry..... Love is a walking double double every night. I also think his personality would fit well with this team. I think that's one of the hesitation points in moving Powell, the team loves him. He's a nice guy. Love is a little different, but he wouldn't upset team chemistry.  Looking at it, he should be target #1 if we cant get someone like Beal, Adams, Griffin or Drummond.

I'm sure they want value for him, but if they are looking to dump him. We could do Powell, Lee, Jackson, Brunson. They would have a ton of cap space next year and could be big players in free agency. Not that anyone wants to go to Cleveland.

Love definitely boosts the offense but doesn't fit the timeline, nor does he help with toughness. Don't think he is a real fit. Don't know if he would want to be the 6th man.
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 09:04 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote:  

But if we're talking Cleveland. Lets just shoot for Kevin Love.  

A funny thing happened on the way to the Trade Machine.  We are no longer including THJ in trade proposals (something that is necessary if you want to propose trades for $30mm players that aren't too disruptive).  Heck, another couple weeks of this and we will need to start thinking about the extension rules in the CBA FAQ (THJ has a player option this summer).

Love would be great, but to get there you have to put too many players in any deal that doesn't include Hardaway.  Because of roster limits, that forces Cleveland to add players which makes it even harder to trade match.  Love is a bit injury prone and we are already pretty thin in the front court.  So, I'd prefer to keep Powell and Maxi as bench bigs behind KP and Love.  To me, the excess on the roster is at guard and the highest dollar guard is Curry.  If you limit yourself to 2 out and 2 in type deals, then Lee and Curry only combine for players making $25,375,000.
Like Reply
DanSchwartzman Wrote:
Nowitzki Way Wrote: 

But if we're talking Cleveland. Lets just shoot for Kevin Love.  

A funny thing happened on the way to the Trade Machine.  We are no longer including THJ in trade proposals (something that is necessary if you want to propose trades for $30mm players that aren't too disruptive).  Heck, another couple weeks of this and we will need to start thinking about the extension rules in the CBA FAQ (THJ has a player option this summer).

Love would be great, but to get there you have to put too many players in any deal that doesn't include Hardaway.  Because of roster limits, that forces Cleveland to add players which makes it even harder to trade match.  Love is a bit injury prone and we are already pretty thin in the front court.  So, I'd prefer to keep Powell and Maxi as bench bigs behind KP and Love.  To me, the excess on the roster is at guard and the highest dollar guard is Curry.  If you limit yourself to 2 out and 2 in type deals, then Lee and Curry only combine for players making $25,375,000.
That's what I realized too when trying to think of trades. I really don't want to trade Hardaway anymore. He has a role here.  I see your point on roster limits, so Love may be impossible without Hardaway.

But the Curry/Lee outgoing pair is a nice thought to chew on when looking at what we can bring in salary wise.
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 10:02 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Love definitely boosts the offense but doesn't fit the timeline, nor does he help with toughness. Don't think he is a real fit. Don't know if he would want to be the 6th man.

While I don't really think we can get Love and also I agree he is not a great fit due to his defensive limitation. But what are you talking about:

- What timeline? We have a top 5 player in the whole league. We are not Atlanta that needs years of developing the group. This team needs a move or two to be able to contend.

- What 6th man? We need two starters since last time I checked.
Like Reply
Reading some of the past posts the Mavs are in a pickle, in a good way.

Luka has exploded onto the scene faster than anyone outside of Dallas could have imagined.  In the NBA your window never comes when you want it too it just happens.  Mavs window opened up a ton due to the fast rise of Luka and the overall team.

Now the pickle.  To improve you need to make a bigger mover than you might have thought earlier this year.  

I see the discussion of “if we trade a lot of role players to get 1 player it hurts our depth”.  So thats the pickle.  

One way to look at it is, its harder to find starter level players than role players.  If you do have to give up some assets to get that starter you have a weaker bench.  I would say true, but would contend its easier to move around role players than starters. Get your starters in place and then they can gel over time.  Then work on those role players who there are many more of and should have more options to find. 

Getting that other starter also shows Luka you are serious about contending and keeps his mind from wandering.
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 10:08 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: A funny thing happened on the way to the Trade Machine.  We are no longer including THJ in trade proposals (something that is necessary if you want to propose trades for $30mm players that aren't too disruptive).  Heck, another couple weeks of this and we will need to start thinking about the extension rules in the CBA FAQ (THJ has a player option this summer).

LOL.  So true.  The funny thing about trades is that by the time a player builds up his trade value to bring something good in return, fans no longer want to trade him.  Smile  Here's hoping THJ keeps it up.  I'm all for him playing well enough to cement a starting role and earn a long-term deal.
Like Reply
This timeline talk needs to go away. Teams aren't going to be unloading young stars. Any contract is tradeable if the worry is age as CP3 and Westbrook showed us. If we can aquire a really good player that is 30, you go for it. You can always move him later when age catches up. We suck in free agency. We've always built through trades and after last summer I would prefer to never have powder again. The Giannis pipe dream needs to go away. That's crazy talk.

Thanks to Luka, we are win now mode. That doesn't mean go all in just for the sake of it, but if we can improve this roster via trade we should pull the trigger. We are legitimate contenders for a top 4 seed this year. However we aren't true contenders for the championship because the Clips are so damn stacked.
Like Reply
I think the Mavericks are going to try and leave the door open to adding a 3rd and potentially 4th star in 2021. The free agency class in 2021 is going to be epic. 

2021 Free Agency

Unrestricted
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Anthony Davis
CJ McCollum
Bradley Beal

Restricted
Donovan Mitchell
Jayson Tatum

Player Option
LeBron James
Kawhi Leonard
Paul George
Chris Paul
Blake Griffi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trades that would not interfere with 2021 plans

Trade for Steven Adams 
Trade for Tristan Thompson 
Trade for Bobby Portis
Trade for Derrick Favors 

Trade for Trevor Ariza
Trade for Jae Crowder 

Trade possibilities 

Mavericks Receive - 
Trevor Ariza 

Courtney Lee + Future 2nd 

Mavericks Receive 
Derrick Favors 

New Orleans Receive 
Cash

I also hope that Mavs keep the 1st Rd Pick and 2nd Rd pick and use those picks to add rotational pieces. I would even be fore moving the 2020 1st and 2020 Golden St. 2nd to move up into the Lottery to draft a big. 

Package Dwight Powell, 2020 1st, and 2020 Golden St. 2nd to move up into the Lottery 
Like Reply
^^^

I don’t think you can wait until 2021.  So much will change in 2 years.  And if OKC can move Melo’s massive contract then about anyone is moveable.  

I fear if you wait too long Luka might get frustrated.  He is a star and has advanced very fast.  Although its early you don’t want him to think the franchise won’t make big moves to improve team.  FA is such a gamble and trades make sure you get your guy. Too many players make side deals with other players and unless Luka is buddies with the right guy there is a lower chance of getting that FA unless you are certain cities.  

The challenge getting the good starters is teams not wanting to give them up cheap.  But if you can pull off a trade for starter then I think its easier to fill out second unit and deeper bench.
Like Reply
Are the Dallas Mavericks really an all in team already? It's not like we have this championship window that is closing. We don't really know how good we are until the end of the regular season and/or postseason. 

Yes, I think improvements need to be made, particularly adding more 3/D wing depth and/or a formidable 4-man. But I don't see any realistic avenues for those potential improvements to be significant. You know like adding a Pau Gasol or Rasheed Wallace talent that puts us over the top. 

IMO, I rather see the MBT continue to add assets (preferably younger ones) and further the foundation for sustained success. I want to be a contender every single year for the next 10-15 years. Shouldn't we be a dynasty with the euro-LeBron? 

LeBron for as great as he was, always wanted the quick fix. Form the Heatles, join Kyrie and trade for Love, now it's tampering with Davis. He didn't care for the future. We should model ourselves more like Golden State or San Antonio.
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 02:06 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: ^^^

I don’t think you can wait until 2021.  So much will change in 2 years.  And if OKC can move Melo’s massive contract then about anyone is moveable.  

I fear if you wait too long Luka might get frustrated.  He is a star and has advanced very fast.  Although its early you don’t want him to think the franchise won’t make big moves to improve team.  FA is such a gamble and trades make sure you get your guy. Too many players make side deals with other players and unless Luka is buddies with the right guy there is a lower chance of getting that FA unless you are certain cities.  

The challenge getting the good starters is teams not wanting to give them up cheap.  But if you can pull off a trade for starter then I think its easier to fill out second unit and deeper bench.
Also, Donnie has proven to find the diamonds in the rough (bench players) in FA, just can't land the big fish. Play to that strength. Trade for the starters, even if we have to fully start over on the bench parts, cause that can be done in FA. Wrights, Powells, Klebers, Currys are mostly all available every year. Also, GS has shown the way to land the big fish and THEN get to work on figuring out how to make it happen.
Like Reply

I feel like we can improve ourselves while still keeping flexibility for 2021

The only guy that does excite me somewhat is Andre Drummond but I am not sure what he will help to improve since we don't need rebounding. He is a physical big that would play a ton of minutes.
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 03:22 PM)deronjohn Wrote:

I feel like we can improve ourselves while still keeping flexibility for 2021

The only guy that does excite me somewhat is Andre Drummond but I am not sure what he will help to improve since we don't need rebounding. He is a physical big that would play a ton of minutes.

Drummond is the ideal for us.
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 01:56 PM)deronjohn Wrote: The free agency class in 2021 is going to be epic

Your assumption is not really correct, as most of the guys you mentioned might sign extensions before ever actually hitting the free agent market. Or their team will trade them to a place where they will sign an extension if they become unhappy. If Dallas becomes a dream destination for any guy from your list, I am sure management can clear cap space or SnT for him. Whatever contracts we might have at that time.

I think we need to upgrade with two very good players. As we don't have the assets, the only realistic option this season is taking something that is considered as a very bad contract. Otherwise we can improve our assets and make the move(s) in the summer. We are certainly not pressured to make the move now.

To dig a bit deeper into your list: Paul and Griffin will be too old in 2021 to be considered as superstars. I am certain we don't want anything to do with The King. CJ McCollum and Beal already signed their extensions so they are not free agents in 2021. Tatum is not really that much special. Mitchel will be resigned by Utah as he is restricted. If their love affair ends, they will trade him. This leaves Giannis, Davis, Leonard and George. On the other hand there will be 30 teams wanting to sign them.

(11-30-2019, 03:48 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Drummond is the ideal for us.

I don't agree. Way too much DeAndre vibes. He is very limited offensively, bad perimeter defender with no outside shot. Ideal guy to put next to our center KP is a Millsap/Horford type of guy. Strong player who can guard the perimeter and has some post up skills. I like Thadeus Young from Chicago and he might be available if Chicago decides to go for another tank ride.
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 03:06 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Are the Dallas Mavericks really an all in team already? It's not like we have this championship window that is closing. We don't really know how good we are until the end of the regular season and/or postseason. 

There is a lot of ground to plow between “all-in” and “can’t wait until 2021”.  You probably need a more nuanced term to describe what people are actually saying.

Where are we?  It appears to me we are second tier among the west playoff teams (4-6). Seems the Laker/Clipper/Nugget tier is a bit stronger than the Rocket/Maverick/Jazz tier (despite the fact Dallas beat Denver and came really close to beating the Lakers).  To your other point, it certainly could get better if/when KP starts to find his offensive rhythm.

I’m not in favor of trading assets for 36 year old rentals, but based on what I’ve seen so far, I wouldn’t hesitate to use 2021 space for the right guy.  I wouldn’t hesitate to use the GS 2nd or our 2020 first (this summer) for the right guy.  Brunson?  Jackson?  Sure...for the right guy.   So, who is the right guy?  I’m not saying he has to necessarily be a 3rd star.  I’d be pretty happy if we could just get a clear upgrade at one starting position (probably the DFS spot or the Powell spot) and move the upgraded guy to the bench (as both have proven to be valuable contributors there in the past).
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 04:07 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:  I’d be pretty happy if we could just get a clear upgrade at one starting position (probably the DFS spot or the Powell spot)

Totally agree. I think we need a "DFS" capable of guarding 2-3 with a better shot and offense creating capabilities. Anytime our DFS puts the ball to the floor he either steps out of bounds or makes a bad pass... Of course guys with the complete skill set I described are superstars, so some compromise will be necessary. But there is still a huge gap between the DFS and Kawhi skill set. Porter and Bogdanovic were often mentioned as candidates.

We can go to a number of different directions when looking to upgrade the Powell spot. Either a much better offensive guy like Galinari, much better defensive/rebounding guy as Capella or an enforcer type of player - not really superstar at anything but brings a lot of toughness and grit.
Like Reply
People have asked why I started following Mavs.  I started because I loved what Dirk meant and did for the franchise.  Although he knocked my team out of playoffs I rooted like hell for the Mavs to win it all and they did.  Loved watching Cuban recognize the original owner.  I started reading the old recent board back then and became fascinated the great discussions.

Eventually I posted in the other teams thread and no one bit my head off.  Started posting more and a small bit in other threads.  Everyone was welcoming.  

What I found was a basketball community where they actually discussed basketball.  I mean serious BB.

And then I see most of the old posters here and then I see this thread.  And I find myself agreeing with a point.  But then I agree with the counterpoint.  And so on. Its the absolute best group of posters you will find on any board.  I love reading the what if trade scenarios.  99.9% will never happen but its fun to see the possibilities.  You just never know.  It also helps teach me about other players and their values.  So much fun reading this and other threads.  Glad that most of the posters made it here.  I may be a Thunder fan first but the posters here and the other board made me a Mavs fan second. And its cool that fans from a different primary team can get along.  

I also learned a ton how to deal with tank seasons. Posters kept their heads up and still had fun posting during your rebuild.  I am drawing from that knowing it takes years yet can still have fun following the sport.  

Anyways, wanted to say all that for those who did not post on old board.  This is the best fanbase in NBA and have the most educated discussions just like this thread.
Like Reply