Poll: Does Powell get the start tonight? If not, who starts?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes he starts.
88.89%
8 88.89%
Maxi starts instead.
0%
0 0%
Someone else (say who!)
11.11%
1 11.11%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PLAYOFF ROUND 2 GAME 2: DAL (0-2) vs. PHX (2-0)| 109-129 loss
[Image: FR1x-hRWYAQB_j_?format=jpg&name=large]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
The Mavs team has been a tough team all year long.  Game 1 PHX was a stroll in the park and PHX was never really challenged.  I would love to see a response similar to what Memphis did last night.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I think (hope) Dinwiddie starts over Powell. That's who I voted for. He is the one player that can get going early and regain his confidence to be a difference maker. Powell can get all of his minutes against JaVale McGee and you leave Kleber in his role off the bench. DFS can handle the defensive assignment against Ayton (not like the Mavs have someone to stop the 12' turn around anyway) but getting Ayton on the perimeter early to guard DFS will open up the lane for all 3 guards. Gotta punch first!
Like Reply
I really like the Mavs roster construction and after watching MEM and GSW play small all night. A matchup with either team would be super fun to watch. Phoenix is just a touch matchup with Ayton but I expect the Mavs to go to Kleber and the small lineup quicker. Wish THJ were available.

The key will be to attack Ayton with more urgency tonight. He's no Gobert on offense but he's no Gobert on defense either.

I do think Powell starts each half. Luka will be aggressive and get some good looks with Ayton in drop. Mavs can't fall behind early and let the crowd get into the game. Defensive communication is key. I expect Dallas to pressure the ball a bit more to try and control the pace.

Key the game? For me, no question, it's pace. Mavs need to limit the number of possessions and force Phoenix into contested twos. On the other end Dallas needs to attack the paint without hesitation but take 40+ threes and hope analytics wins the night. Mavs should walk it up, but once they get into their offense, guys can't catch and think, they need to catch and go, much more decisively than game 1.
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 10:08 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: He's no Gobert on offense but he's no Gobert on defense either.
My impression is that PHX is committed to stopping any move into the lane, Ayton or not, with help defenders and counting on athleticism to get back to perimeter defense. But if JB and Spence (and Luka) can hit some of the floaters they missed last game, there might be a different outcome.
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 07:40 AM)Smitty Wrote: Powell can get all of his minutes against JaVale McGee

This is advantage Phoenix because it allows McGee to play drop coverage. You want to force McGee to switch against Kleber and then you want Luka to play McGee off the floor. 

Mavs are winning the war if McGee gets zero second half minutes.
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 11:00 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: This is advantage Phoenix because it allows McGee to play drop coverage. You want to force McGee to switch against Kleber and then you want Luka to play McGee off the floor. 

Mavs are winning the war if McGee gets zero second half minutes.

Any Powell lineup is advantage Phoenix unfortunately.

I just don't see how the Mavs get through a game much less a series if they totally nuke Powell's minutes.  I would rather try and wear Ayton down on the defensive end by not allowing him to play drop coverage.  McGee is a good player but he isn't Ayton.
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 11:56 AM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Any Powell lineup is advantage Phoenix unfortunately.

Agree but you can't let Kleber get into early foul trouble or Mavs are in big trouble. You just need Powell's energy, be a rim threat, give hard fouls and hopefully the Mavs get off to a good start shooting the ball. Dallas doesn't need to win the first 8 minutes of the game but you don't want to fall behind by double digits.
Like Reply
Do or die time.
Like Reply
Think this one is going to leave most of us with less hope. Suns in 4.

#MFFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes VintagePejav2's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
Last series Luka finally got his 1st home playoff win, now we need him to get a series closed out on home court. Long way to go for that to have a chance, but gotta get at least 1 of the next 2 for it to be possible. Must win game.
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 04:36 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Think this one is going to leave most of us with less hope. Suns in 4.

#MFFL

This means Mavs are winning this series. Thank you.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheKobeBeef/status/1...0992381952
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheKobeBeef/status/1...2590829568
Like Reply
Suns are just too good...when healthy there might not be a team that can beat them. Against the Jazz, the Mavs were focused on running Utah off of the 3-pt line and forcing them to make more difficult threes. Well if you try that against the Suns, they have 3-4 players who can kill you with the mid-range and their overall ball movement is so good that they will still find a way to swing the ball to the open shooter. 

Part of the rebounding deficit wasn't just because of the Mavs lack of size/quality centers. A lot of it comes down to the defense constantly having to scramble to keep up with the Suns offense so that when a shot finally misses, the Mavs are out of position to secure the rebound. That's the difference between Booker/CP3 and Clarkson. They're all ISO scorers who can get buckets from anywhere on the floor but even as Clarkson torched us, he wasn't going to get the other Jazz players going on offense. Booker and CP3 will make you pay with all of the attention they command from the defense and it will result in plenty of open looks for the other Suns.
Like Reply
Suns is up there with the Pat Bev Clips with the most annoying players - CP3, Crowder, Cam Payne, Devin Booker
Like Reply
CP3 gets away with all these little grabs. Crazy how the refs either don't see it or let him get away with it.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Nice talk about starting better, maybe game 3 we can back it up with action
[-] The following 1 user Likes DrMav's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
What a horrific start again. No space for Luka.
Like Reply
(05-04-2022, 09:10 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: What a horrific start again. No space for Luka.

Almost like starting Powell again was a stupid, stubborn thing to do.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaxiThreeba's post:
  • SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply