Poll: Who will win the series?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DAL (4-0)
2.13%
1 2.13%
DAL (4-1)
8.51%
4 8.51%
DAL (4-2)
65.96%
31 65.96%
DAL (4-3)
12.77%
6 12.77%
GSW (4-3)
0%
0 0%
GSW (4-2)
6.38%
3 6.38%
GSW (4-1)
4.26%
2 4.26%
GSW (4-0)
0%
0 0%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLAYOFFS WCF: #3 GSW (4-1) vs #4 DAL (1-4)
Fun season.  Really tough team.  Top 5 player.  Just looked tired tonight.  It was a long postseason for the guys.  Just couldn’t trust a lot of players.  GS did what championship teams do tonight.  Just threw out there and see if the Mavs could match.  They could not.

Game 2 was the big game in series.  Mavs played really well in first half and they really needed that game.  May not have mattered though.  The team just looked really tired.

Fun team….rally enjoyed watching this team.  Now the hard work starts for the front office.

If Boston advances, I expect a much different warriors team.  Looney will probably go back to his regular production.  Klay and Poole will have a more difficult time.  I have the outcome as a push.  Gs has home court.  Gs has championship pedigree.  Boston is just so tough to beat 4 times.  They haven’t won any championships but their core has been in a lot of big games too.should be a fun series.
Like Reply
So, two years ago, the Warriors won only 15 games.  As a result, they draft James Wiseman, a complete bust. The result, NBA finals and odds on favorite to win the title. Just doesn’t seem possible.  But, it gives me hope for the Mavs.
Like Reply
(05-27-2022, 12:13 AM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I picked Warriors in 5. I was right!

Same, actually.

Props to this team though, they seriously overachieved. Kidd runs Frank Vogel's system on defense, it doesn't work without a real rim protector like Roy Hibbert or AD in the Lakers bubble run. We basically averaged allowing 6 points more per 100 possessions after KP's last game so it's pretty obvious we need to upgrade our rim protection. I'd be all in for Gobert at this point after seeing how damn useless Powell was on offense in the playoffs as long as it doesn't cost us DFS or Bullock.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(05-27-2022, 12:13 AM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I picked Warriors in 5. I was right!

How could that be when you said Jazz in 4?
Like Reply
(05-27-2022, 12:28 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: So, two years ago, the Warriors won only 15 games.  As a result, they draft James Wiseman, a complete bust. The result, NBA finals and odds on favorite to win the title. Just doesn’t seem possible.  But, it gives me hope for the Mavs.

Drafted an amazing core in Steph, Klay and Dray, took advantage of a rare salary cap opportunity and signed KD (let Barnes walk) and then when KD wanted to part ways that turned that into D'Lo and then Wiggins.  I thought the Wiggins thing was a mistake but it has certainly paid off for them.  They had a little luck in being able to sign KD but the most important thing was drafting the core and ditching Jackson for Kerr.
Like Reply
(05-26-2022, 11:32 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Warriors are just too good and should continue to be a contender for the next 1-2 years at least...as long as they can be healthy by the playoffs. We're probably not beating them in the playoffs unless we have a Super Team. That roster and system is hard to beat for any team in the league but especially with the Mavs' Luka-centric offense. Golden State has seen years of LeBron and Harden so they are always prepared for this style.

So the Mavs just need to keep improving and be patient for a few more years. We might have no choice but to wait out the end of the Warriors Era but as long as we find some young players to build with. It's going to take time and a few more years of playoff failures

Fuck that. I want the Mavs to come back next year angry and hungry (and with more depth on the roster). And then I want Luka to slam the window shut on them. I want him to slam it so hard that they know it's over, that their golden age is over, and it's Luka's league now. I want him to destroy them the way he destroyed Utah and Phoenix this year, leaving them wondering how they can possibly recover.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(05-27-2022, 12:28 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: So, two years ago, the Warriors won only 15 games.  As a result, they draft James Wiseman, a complete bust. The result, NBA finals and odds on favorite to win the title. Just doesn’t seem possible.  But, it gives me hope for the Mavs.

Warriors aren't your garden variety organization. They are run very well and make great decisions from top to bottom.
Like Reply
(05-27-2022, 01:22 AM)cow Wrote: Drafted an amazing core in Steph, Klay and Dray, took advantage of a rare salary cap opportunity and signed KD (let Barnes walk) and then when KD wanted to part ways that turned that into D'Lo and then Wiggins.  I thought the Wiggins thing was a mistake but it has certainly paid off for them.  They had a little luck in being able to sign KD but the most important thing was drafting the core and ditching Jackson for Kerr.

Sure, but they sunk to a 15 win team after all of that, missed big on their once in a generation draft opportunity at 2, and somehow still rebuilt their team to championship caliber in a mere two years. They really weren’t even any good last year either. I find their rise amazing. The Mavs could do that. Just need to draft a Poole or Bane with their late pick instead of a Green and steal an undervalued free agent.
Like Reply
(05-27-2022, 05:53 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Sure, but they sunk to a 15 win team after all of that, missed big on their once in a generation draft opportunity at 2, and somehow still rebuilt their team to championship caliber in a mere two years. They really weren’t even any good last year either. I find their rise amazing. The Mavs could do that. Just need to draft a Poole or Bane with their late pick instead of a Green and steal an undervalued free agent.

They sunk to a 15 win team because of injuries. With Curry and Thompson missing the entire season. And Green shut down when it was obvious that it was a tank year. Klay missed the entire next season as well. Returned this season.
We have seen similar rebuilds...maybe the wrong word because the core is still the same...let´s call it talent infusions. Franchise player goes down and teams use the opportunity to develop talent and tank for a year. Return to strength 1-2 seasons later.

That´s actually how the Spurs dynasty started. Robinson missing the entire season. Spurs tanking. Difference is that they nailed the pick and landed Duncan.

Also highlights the difficulty of building around a once in a generation player like Luka. Without an injury you don´t get the chance to add talent through the draft or waste seasons developing younger players.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • cow
Like Reply
Exactly. The tanking did nothing for the Warriors. Wiseman is terrible. And it’s not like they were that  good last year after the tank. This rebuild was based on guys anyone could have acquired if they wanted and on just a great organizational culture. It did not rely on a high draft pick or big time free agency pick up. The Mavs got beat by Poole and Looney and a castoff like Wiggins. Even the deep bench guys people have hardly heard of won their matchups this series. And Peyton didn’t even play and he might be the third best player on the Mavs roster.  These kinds of players are always available to a crafty organization, even if a Wiseman requires a tank.  There’s no reason the a Mavs can’t get it done too.
Like Reply
(05-27-2022, 06:25 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Exactly. The tanking did nothing for the Warriors. Wiseman is terrible. And it’s not like they were that  good last year after the tank. This rebuild was based on guys anyone could have acquired if they wanted and on just a great organizational culture. It did not rely on a high draft pick or big time free agency pick up. The Mavs got beat by Poole and Looney and a castoff like Wiggins. Even the deep bench guys people have hardly heard of won their matchups this series. And Peyton didn’t even play and he might be the third best player on the Mavs roster.  These kinds of players are always available to a crafty organization, even if a Wiseman requires a tank.  There’s no reason the a Mavs can’t get it done too.

Even if Wiseman didn´t turn into the player they hoped he would tanking still gave them the opportunity to test the mentioned players. Give them playing time. Imagine a Mavs season with Frank and Josh in the starting five. And add 2-3 young guys that are getting opportunities. That´s a benefit of tanking. A team that is fighting for every single win to make the playoffs or secure home court cannot do the same.
It´s not like the Warriors didn´t have an even bigger number of misses. But that´s not important as long as the team isn´t contending. We will hear about Poole, Looney and Toscano-Anderson. No one remembers Dragan Bender, Glen Robinon III, Ky Bowman, Omari Spellman or Alan Smailalgic. Just to name a few.
Doesn´t mean that some teams aren´t better than others when it comes to late picks or undrafted guys. Turning nothing into something. But the Mavs aren´t the worst. Outside of Luka the entire roster is build around late picks, undrafted guys or former busts.
Like Reply