Poll: What has gotten the Mavs to this point without Luka or THJ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Transcendent coaching
15.79%
3 15.79%
A team that is far more talented than people think
5.26%
1 5.26%
A combination of both
78.95%
15 78.95%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
So which is it? Coaching or talent?
Question 
I see so frequently people saying the Mavs have no talent or players that other teams would want (absolutely laughing off all trade suggestions) and that the Mavs traded KP for two of the worst possible contracts in the NBA.

I also have seen people ridicule Kidd as a coach before the hire and during the season, that he is terrible and in no way could be an improvement on RC.

Well the Mavs are up 2-1 on UTA without Luka or THJ. 

What has gotten them to this point? Is it great coaching? Or is this team much more talented than people give it credit for?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
both
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • KillerLeft, michaeltex, Tyler
Like Reply
I cross over your categories. I'm an RC homer but wasn't against Kidd. Kidd has been outstanding. 

I've always thought the non-Luka's were underrated. But the non-Luka's have also taken steps forward this seson.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
You’re missing a third variable in the equation - fit. Possibly the most important of the three.
Like Reply
Luka was obviously holding the team back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Great coaching, especially on defense. And finally dumping KP and moving to a modern NBA lineup that has multiple ball-handlers on offense and the ability to be versatile on defense
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • fifteenth, michaeltex
Like Reply
First, I'd like to say I was always against the "Luka and Scrubs" narrative that seemed popular around here. Talented team that was being held back by an outdated regime. 

Kidd took a team that everybody believed was hopeless on defense, and made them ELITE on that end. The chemistry and locker room environment appear to be more positive and inviting; always got the vibe the team was walking on eggshells under Carlisle.

Carlisle without a top 5 caliber player but talented team in IND, led them to their worst season since the 80s. Some folks thought Pacers could have a better record than the Mavs prior to this season.

This is the best Mavs team since 2011, Kidd and his staff are arguably the biggest reason why.
Like Reply
Kidd has made a bunch of players play Defense - players that Carlisle let slide on that end. So a change of voice made a big difference. Plus Kidd is a lot more upbeat and trusting of his guys so I think they try harder.

But we have some seriously talented players here too. Now that they have the freedom to try without being scared of losing minutes for mistakes, they can play freer and make do things the previous coach would have never allowed them to try.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
I had to go with a combination of both.  However...I think we've had better talent than most people thought.  Better coaching, at the very least; different coaching, has brought some of that talent to the forefront.  I've always said that the coach had to utilize the talent of each player to the best of their ability.  As one poster said: fit...within the scheme of the team philosophy.  It appears that coach Kidd--and his team of coaches--have done a great job of understanding and using the talent.
Like Reply
Really is crazy how close we were to beating the Clips the past 2 years
Stick Bullock on those teams and I think we win at least one year maybe both
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
i would also like to add GM because that KP trade was ballsy and looks like now everyone is locked in and that especially makes a huge difference on the defensive end. Spencer is a general out there and can lead from the front.
Like Reply
Do we now concede that rookies need regular season minutes to develop and figure things out on the floor, to make mistakes and learn from them.  That it is an investment into the future that could pay off in a crucial play-off game, say three. That practicing yourself ready for two years and playing a few G-League games actually does not work.

Just asking for a friend. Tongue

I think the coaching staff deserves a lot of credit. I think it was simply a necessary cultural change all-around. Half the coaching job, when you talk about players that get paid so much money, is to keep them happy and engaged.

All I say is Cuban deserves no credit. I give Donnie, Haralabob and Carlisle more credit for creating the mess/stepping down. If it was up to Cuban we´d still have another ten years of the old MBT with Nelson/Carlisle and Cuban´s filthy crew.
Like Reply
I chose transcendent coaching even with a few headscratchers from Kidd during the regular season and in Game 3.  Before the season, I told my friends I was indifferent about the hire of Kidd.  It was just 'lipstick on a pig', and though I didn't truly believe that, all I cared about was methodical roster building/construction.  The defense this year has blown me away.  Did not think it was even possible.  The importance of Dwight (defense), growth of Green, and to a smaller degree JB under Kidd and his staff is too much to ignore.
[-] The following 2 users Like BoredAssistant's post:
  • fifteenth, Kammrath
Like Reply
I don't know if it's coaching or talent, but this team has heart. Collectively they play until the end and do not assume any situation is hopeless, often with positive results. Everyone is maximally applying their talents in this series.

I guess "heart" is a result of "culture" which is established by the coaching staff in conjunction with locker room leadership.

I'll say this as well. How many coaches would have stuck with Spence after his 0-fer starts? Yet he was productive and key to securing the wins at the end of both games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(04-21-2022, 11:55 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: First, I'd like to say I was always against the "Luka and Scrubs" narrative that seemed popular around here. Talented team that was being held back by an outdated regime. 

Kidd took a team that everybody believed was hopeless on defense, and made them ELITE on that end. The chemistry and locker room environment appear to be more positive and inviting; always got the vibe the team was walking on eggshells under Carlisle.

Carlisle without a top 5 caliber player but talented team in IND, led them to their worst season since the 80s. Some folks thought Pacers could have a better record than the Mavs prior to this season.

This is the best Mavs team since 2011, Kidd and his staff are arguably the biggest reason why.

I like most of this Fuerza, especially the stuff about the Mavs. But Indy tanked on purpose this year.

(04-22-2022, 05:06 AM)Jym Wrote: Really is crazy how close we were to beating the Clips the past 2 years
Stick Bullock on those teams and I think we win at least one year maybe both

I agree. The Clippers were better than this Utah team. But still think the Mavs have taken a step forward, especially regarding defense and player/coach relationships.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
I love this team. But I fear we’re overlooking how bad this Jazz team really is.
Like Reply
(04-22-2022, 11:05 AM)Jommybone Wrote: I love this team. But I fear we’re overlooking how bad this Jazz team really is.

If we get past round 1 tougher tests are coming for sure
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
After the ASB Dallas has had the best record in the league on a win 61.5 game pace.

We are so many acting like we are not contenders?
[-] The following 1 user Likes windjc's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(04-22-2022, 11:22 AM)windjc Wrote: We are so many acting like we are not contenders?

probably because of our age and because we haven't made it out of a first round yet

Typically teams have to pay their dues a bit before true contention

Who knows, though, this team could surprise folks
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
We are flying under the radar without Luka but I wouldn't swing the pendulum too far the other direction.  This Utah team is a mess.
Like Reply