Poll: Who is the Mavs MIP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Brunson
33.33%
10 33.33%
Powell
6.67%
2 6.67%
DFS
26.67%
8 26.67%
Green
33.33%
10 33.33%
Someone else (mention below!)
0%
0 0%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the Mavs Most Improved Player this year?
On the face of it, it seems like Brunson is the obvious answer right? And he'd be a fine choice. The guy increased is PPG by nearly 4 a game. He increased his rebounds and assists as well. He's still shooting an absurdly efficient rate and has gone from a 6th man guy to a legit starter on a playoff team (lets hope this continues in this years playoffs). He's also shown he can step up into a bigger role should Luka need rest or is out from injury, as he averaged 20.4ppg/7.54apg/3.47rpg and limped the team to a so-so 7-10 record. 

But I believe there are many other viable candidates to choose from that aren't preposterous. 

Dwight Powell went from being a guy that was prime candidate number 1 to be included in any trade to being an invaluable rotation piece that fills his role well. His defense has improved to another level and he's still putting up fantastic efficiency numbers. Some few here have been singing the praises of Dwight for a long time and have seen this day coming, but I was not one of them. 

DFS- Not only has Dodo maintained his elite 3pt shooting, he's also added a more varied offensive game this year. How many times did DFS put it on the floor and create a shot for himself before this year? I could probably count on my hand. The numbers back it up too. DFS increased his shot attempts from mid range by almost 42% frequency (mind you it's still only 96 attempts) from last year. He's also increased the amount of attempts at the rim by almost 40 attempts as well. In any case Kidd set out to make DFS a more varied offensive player and we're starting to see that. 

Josh Green- Dude basically didn't play at all last year. Of course Carlisle can be blamed, but Green also just wasn't good enough. Now? He has flourished in Kidd's role for him and has become an actual rotation player. He's made measured improvements throughout the year too (shoutout to Dan for calling that one!) with him shooting over 40% from 3 since the beginning of March (20 games played). 

So who do you think is the Mavs MIP player this year? Is it someone else not mentioned?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BoredAssistant, DanSchwartzgan, Hogmelon, Jommybone, KillerLeft
Like Reply
For sure Boban, but we would never know!
Like Reply
JB also seems to be making really good passes lately.  Not sure that was the case last year.  He's a more complete offensive weapon and better facilitator this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BoredAssistant's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Josh Green

[Image: josh-green-of-the-dallas-mavericks-dunks...=2048x2048]
Like Reply
Interesting Kamm. Why Green over say Brunson or Powell? 

My choice was Powell because of his defensive leap. That alone has made him invaluable.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Great question, and hard to answer. What's easier to say is that the improvement of those four is a big reason we won 50 games, have home court advantage in the first.and have some legitimate hope to make a little noise in the playoffs. The improvement of those 4 is huge. And kuddos to Kidd for allowing players to take a shot at expanding their games.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
Has Luka plateaued? Interesting that he didn’t even make the list. 

DP improved a lot over most of last season. But he had been playing at this level (my opinion) before the injury already, so it’s more of a comeback than an improvement, no?

JB has turned into a near-all-star player. CJ McCollum-like. But he was a sixth-man of the year candidate already last season. And that’s nothing to shake a stick at. So I dunno.

DFS really had a year to remember. It’s hard not to vote for him here. I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger. But as great as I think he is at all the little things, there is a reason they call em the little things. And there’s a reason his new deal isn’t even flirting with the max. It’s a less scarce/less valuable skill set. 

JG came from nowhere. Couldn’t sniff a minute on the Aussie nat’l team. Couldn’t get out of the Carlisle doghouse. Didn’t even get much PT early this season until . . . wait for it . . . late December. Which, we’ve heard a million times now, is when the Mavs turned the season around. Coincidence? I think not. Mean Josh Green is on a trajectory to become the team’s second best player. Give it 2 years, not 1. But I’m sold. The kid is going places. And it’s hard to think of a better fit next to LD. 

By the way, “Green Energy” needs to be a thing next season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Brunson, Luka, Powell, DFS, Green. Probably in that order. Notice that improvements for a player like Luka is much harder to notice than small tiny improvements for a player like Green. That needs to be taken into considerations. Brunson is the most improved player IMO. Followed by Luka and Powell.
Like Reply
Good idea and well done on the set up.  For me:

Not Green.  You have to have a track record to improve upon it.

Not Powell.  He was statistically the same or better in 18/19.  Just needed to get KP out of his way.

Not JB.  Most of his improvement is from playing more minutes.  His per-minute data is fairly similar to last season.

For me, it is DFS.  You can see his improvement in notable jumps in advanced stats.  He nearly doubled his VORP and had a 50% jump in WS/48.  That and the ways he has expanded his game as noted in the OP.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • fifteenth, Hogmelon, Jommybone
Like Reply
I think Brunson, Powell, DFS...and Luka were about equal in improvement.  It was good to see, and will be hard to replicate next year.  However...partly because Green was previously glued to the bench and not given a viable chance...he is the one who has improved the most for me. 

So...that's my opinion:  Josh Green.
Like Reply
(04-11-2022, 06:23 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Good idea and well done on the set up.  For me:

Not Green.  You have to have a track record to improve upon it.

Not Powell.  He was statistically the same or better in 18/19.  Just needed to get KP out of his way.

Not JB.  Most of his improvement is from playing more minutes.  His per-minute data is fairly similar to last season.

For me, it is DFS.  You can see his improvement in notable jumps in advanced stats.  He nearly doubled his VORP and had a 50% jump in WS/48.  That and the ways he has expanded his game as noted in the OP.

I agree with Green.  I really consider last year a redshirt year for him.   I have been pleased with his development.

You really can't go wrong with DFS.  His game has really grown.  

Although, I do think Powell should be neck and neck with DFS.   His passing on the short roles has really improved.   Most times he makes the right play.   Maybe not great creativity but usually the smart play.  In addition, until the last two games, he was flirting with 80 percent free throw shooter.    Lastly, he is not a plus defender, I don't think.  But I do feel like our lineup with him as the lone big hasn't been attacked like it was previously.
Like Reply
(04-11-2022, 06:23 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Not Powell.  He was statistically the same or better in 18/19.  Just needed to get KP out of his way.

Can we at least give Powell the come back player award?  I thought he was washed.  

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/1512849149091274756
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • fifteenth, Jommybone, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
DFS is playing really well and would have my Mavs MIP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Brunson gets my vote.
[-] The following 3 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft, Slavius
Like Reply
Who, besides like, 3 of us, would have placed DFS as the second best or most important player on the Mavs at the beginning of the season?

After thinking through this for a while, I gotta go with DFS as most improved...even though he was already really great before the season.

A wise man around here calls him a "treasure." I agree.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
You can make an argument for DFS, Brunson, Green and Powell. Any of those choices have a lot of validity, imo.

I'm going with Brunson, who I think should be in the running for MIP on a league level.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, Slavius
Like Reply
I think every option is ok, because all of them made a leap. But for me personally it´s brunson. He got so feisty in attacking the rim, it´s really a joy to watch him play. but neither choice would be a bummer xD
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slavius's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Really an interesting question. All choices are fine for a reason. 

If Luka had played the first part of the season like the second i would have said Luka due to increased shooting efficiency (overall, but esp. 3pt) which is the most important improvement for his game.

After all i went with Green who made a leap from China-candidate to solid rotation player with game-changing defensive skill within one year. Being able to earn NBA minutes on a winning team will be huge for his further development and i see a lot of upside on his creation and playmaking skills, the foundation is there.
[-] The following 3 users Like Halfnir's post:
  • fifteenth, Hogmelon, Jommybone
Like Reply
Most improved from last year is easily Powell. His pick and roll with Luka was really the engine driving the offense down the stretch. But, he sort of was just regaining his form, so maybe Josh should get this recognition.
Like Reply
I think it has to be Brunson.  Its a big leap to go from key rotation player off the bench getting 25 minutes a game, to full time starter going 32 minutes a game, and he made that move with roughly the same offensive efficiency and even better playmaking.

Dorian got even better this year, but he was already a quality starter.  He did not make the same leap Brunson did from a responsibility standpoint.

Powell is more about returning to his old self.  Although it is really impressive that he managed to hold his own as the single starting big.  I never would have imagined that.

I look at Green more like a rookie this year, given his age and the strange circumstances with last year.  I greatly hope he shows up on this list again next year.

Luka killed his chances with his sub-par (for him) play the first couple of months.  If he plays all next year like he has the last couple of months, he will likely be high on this list.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • fifteenth, Hogmelon, KillerLeft
Like Reply