Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locked on Mavs post game (Raptors) podcast
I like these guys, they're a pretty good listen. Lots of stuff that we talk about in this episode

Too Long Won't Listen Summary:
  • Made fun of Mavs Twitter for thinking that moving 2 minutes of Luka from the 3rd quarter to the 4th was the key to the win.
  • This starting lineup is their favorite, has been their favorite (even though the #s aren't great so far) because of the combo of shooting, defense and playmaking.
  • Loved Maxi's defense and Maxi/DFS defense down the stretch.
  • Is the minutes distribution (high minutes for starters) a sign that Rick thought of this as a must win or is it a sign of the minutes distribution moving forward (set starters and shortened rotation)? 
  • KP stated after the game that he attacked the boards because he wanted to do things other than score. 
  • Nick and Isaac liked that KP, DFS and Maxi were more versatile offensively rather than just doing the same things over and over again. They detailed some different offensive things that KP did they they liked. 
  • They would like to see more KP with DFS at 4, though that lineup with back up guards didn't work at all in this game. 
  • Liked J. Jackon's scoring in his short stint but think that he needs to develop more of his game (other than shooting) to be able to break into the rotation.
  • Really funny Harp quote involving THJ: Skin: "The Mavs really like to play Brunson, Wright and Hardaway JR. together."...pause....Harper: That's "Two really intelligent players."
  • Talked about the Luka 4th quarter minutes Twitter dust up (without making fun of it this time). "Do you want Rick to take Luka out during a big 3rd quarter run? OR do you want to stop the run to save him for some 4th quarter minutes?" The lineup that started the 4th played great. Delon had a really great sequence in the 4th. 
  • Talked about how great Luka is but also talked about his struggles in this game (shooting, assist hunting in the 4th). Gushed about some of his amazing plays. 
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 12:48 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I like these guys, they're a pretty good listen. Lots of stuff that we talk about in this episode

• Made fun of Mavs Twitter for thinking that moving 2 minutes of Luka from the 3rd quarter to the 4th was the key to the win.
  • This starting lineup is their favorite, has been their favorite (even though the #s aren't great so far) because of the combo of shooting, defense and playmaking.
  • Is the minutes distribution (high minutes for starters) a sign that Rick thought of this as a must win or is it a sign of the minutes distribution moving forward (set starters and shortened rotation)? 
  • KP stated after the game that he attacked the boards because he wanted to do things other than score. 
  • Nick and Isaac liked that KP, DFS and Maxi were more versatile offensively rather than just doing the same things over and over again. They detailed some different offensive things that KP did they they liked. 
  • They would like to see more KP with DFS at 4, though that lineup with back up guards didn't work at all in this game. 
  • Liked J. Jackon's scoring in his short stint but think that he needs to develop more of his game (other than shooting) to be able to break into the rotation.
  • Really funny Harp quote involving THJ: Skin: "The Mavs really like to play Brunson, Wright and Hardaway JR. together."...pause....Harper: That's "Two really intelligent players."
  • Talked about the Luka 4th quarter minutes Twitter dust up (without making fun of it this time). "Do you want Rick to take Luka out during a big 3rd quarter run? OR do you want to stop the run to save him for some 4th quarter minutes?" The lineup that started the 4th played great. Delon had a really great sequence in the 4th. 
  • Talked about how great Luka is but also talked about his struggles in this game (shooting, assist hunting in the 4th). Gushed about some of his amazing plays. 

Thanks a lot for the written summary @"fifteenth"
Like Reply
It's annoying to keep hearing about 2 minutes in the 3rd vs 2 more in the 4th or should he come out in the 3rd earlier to play more in the 4th as if they have no other options lol. How about Luka just plays the 3rd and 4th quarters and takes a 2 minute break when he's too tired to perform at his best. He's 20, its not that crazy to think he can play longer minutes.

Another cool part of this all is how him playing more off ball helps get the offense going and preserves much more of his energy leaving him on the floor longer to do more Luka magic (Not to mention prevent us from getting destroyed on the boards in those minutes he usually is on the bench)

So there is plenty of opportunity for Luka to stay in during 3rd quarter runs and play more than 6 minutes in the 4th lol.

Side note I understand I am not a top NBA coach nor do I pretend to be. Just pointing out the invisible walls they are putting on something as simple as there being an option to play an extra minute here or there lol
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 04:36 PM)Lucky Luciano Wrote: It's annoying to keep hearing about 2 minutes in the 3rd vs 2 more in the 4th or should he come out in the 3rd earlier to play more in the 4th as if they have no other options lol. How about Luka just plays the 3rd and 4th quarters and takes a 2 minute break when he's too tired to perform at his best. He's 20, its not that crazy to think he can play longer minutes.

Another cool part of this all is how him playing more off ball helps get the offense going and preserves much more of his energy leaving him on the floor longer to do more Luka magic (Not to mention prevent us from getting destroyed on the boards in those minutes he usually is on the bench)

So there is plenty of opportunity for Luka to stay in during 3rd quarter runs and play more than 6 minutes in the 4th lol.

Side note I understand I am not a top NBA coach nor do I pretend to be. Just pointing out the invisible walls they are putting on something as simple as there being an option to play an extra minute here or there lol

I think the wall is mpg. They've decided how much they want him to play per game and will most likely stick to that in order to keep him from injury and have him ready for the playoffs.
Like Reply
Earlier this season people were complaining that Luka was gassed by the homestretch, though.
Like Reply
I like what those guys post on twitter but haven’t listened to their podcast. I still want Luka in to end the game for as long a stretch as he can physically perform at his expected level and I won’t be unconvinced of it. 

If we are behind by 10, I would prefer Luka to have 9 minutes to try and help us come back instead of 6, and if we’re up by 5, I would prefer to have our best player in for 9 minutes to try and hold a lead.
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 12:57 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 12:48 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I like these guys, they're a pretty good listen. Lots of stuff that we talk about in this episode

Thanks a lot for the written summary @"fifteenth"

I'm going to second that fifteenth on the Isaac and Nick Podcast recommendation.  I've been listening for about a year or so and I appreciate their style and content.

For me, and I know I may be in the minority about this appreciation, but this is a podcast I can listen to in the car with the kids and never worry about anything inappropriate or profanity busting out.  That's great for my little boy who's huge on the Mavs on the way to school.  He gets to be a part of the Mavs fandom in another way besides watching the games with me.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 04:59 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I think the wall is mpg. They've decided how much they want him to play per game and will most likely stick to that in order to keep him from injury and have him ready for the playoffs.

Math is fun. So he plays 2 minutes less in the first half to give him more minutes in the second.
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 12:05 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Math is fun. So he plays 2 minutes less in the first half to give him more minutes in the second.

Then we need to do the analytics on whether it's better to get a lead and keep it with more Luka early, or get behind and then come back with more Luka late :-)
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 02:37 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 12:05 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Math is fun. So he plays 2 minutes less in the first half to give him more minutes in the second.

Then we need to do the analytics on whether it's better to get a lead and keep it with more Luka early, or get behind and then come back with more Luka late :-)
I'd say the end of the game is the most important, for sure staying in the game is also important but it seems with Luka, anything can happen. More Luka at the end of games probably isn't such a bad thing. Trying to save more time outs for that last stretch would help him get through the high energy expenditure too.
Like Reply
wow I agree with all those bullet points
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 04:59 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 04:36 PM)Lucky Luciano Wrote: It's annoying to keep hearing about 2 minutes in the 3rd vs 2 more in the 4th or should he come out in the 3rd earlier to play more in the 4th as if they have no other options lol. How about Luka just plays the 3rd and 4th quarters and takes a 2 minute break when he's too tired to perform at his best. He's 20, its not that crazy to think he can play longer minutes.

I think the wall is mpg. They've decided how much they want him to play per game and will most likely stick to that in order to keep him from injury and have him ready for the playoffs.

Definitely understand what the "Wall" is as far as restricted minutes go but the the issue is why? His minutes shouldn't be robotic and rigid, they should be organically dealt with pending all the variables of the situation. Some games he will be more tired than others as of course some he will have way more energy for longer periods. Some games we will be down more or up more than others that can all go into minute decisions. Just having a minute cap just to have one is silly imo. Also there are plenty of analytics that can show reasons for him to play longer as well as ones that are there for him to play less...
Like Reply