Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Raptors 102
Well, that was more like it. 

Great comeback from the Mavs over the defending champs. Looked nothing like the squad that limped through the Knicks game. 

Absences.  The Raptors were without Kyle Lowry and Serge Ibaka. Mavs did not hesitate to take advantage. 

Players.  Several Mavs had standout nights. Comments in order of minutes played. 

Maxi (38).  Maxi had 10 points and 8 rebounds, but his major contribution was on the defensive end. He drew chief guard duty on Raptors star Pascal Siakam, with a little help from Dodo and Tim. Siakam, who averages 27 ppg, was held to 15 points on 6-24 shooting. PS earned only 3 free throw attempts, featuring the Mavs' ability to defend him without fouling. Pascal turned the ball over 5 times, which is definitely in the mediocre range, at best. Superb defensive work by the man from Würzburg. 

Kleber was part of the starting lineup, which a number of fans have been wanting. He justified the coach's trust in him, and Carlisle lauded his "great" game in the postgame presser. At around the 8:24 mark in the third quarter, he received a football handoff from Luka for a highlight reel layup. Great to see a fine player with a breakout game!

KP (36).  Excellent response from KP after the Knicks match. He didn't shoot especially well, going 1-7 from beyond the arc and 35% overall, but had a good showing at the FT line (5-6). Even at that, he had 20 points and was the team's leading scorer besides Luka. He had a very strong rebounding game, tying a career high of 15 rebounds, including 5 offensive boards. He was credited with only 1 block, but he altered numerous shots, which changed the game despite not making it into the box score. 

Among his highlights included a bank shot from the side halfway through the first quarter. He shut noted Mavs torturer Marc Gasol down mano a mano around 4:50 in the third. The subsequent play featured a KP dunk from an interior bounce pass from Dodo. (Wow!) Early in the fourth, KP dived on the floor to recover the ball, and somehow got the rock to Brunson, who sailed a downcourt pass to Wright for a stunning finish. Shortly thereafter, he blocked a layup from Terence Davis. Later in the frame, Nick Nurse drew a technical foul, and KP was called upon to shoot the T, despite Luka and Seth both being on the court! 

Cedric Ceballos admired KP's tenacity on defense and rebounding. Carlisle commended the Latvian for moving and playing within the system on both ends of the court. Hopefully, we are witnessing the growth of a star. 

Luka (36).  Luka is always phenomenal, and did not disappoint in this game. He didn't have a great shooting night (1-5 3PTA, 4-9 2PTA), but got to the FT line an incredible 19 times (hitting 15) for a team-high 26 points. Lest we think he only contributed by scoring, he also grabbed a career-high 15 rebounds and dished 7 assists. He did turn the ball over 7 times, including an embarrassing stolen inbounds pass late in the game, but we don't need to dwell on that. 

Doncic was double- and triple-teamed all night, and did a good job opening up shots for other players. Carlisle graded his night as "terrific." Toward the end of the fourth quarter, he split a double team with a behind the back dribble, eliciting a swoon from bedazzled fans. Always amazing!

Seth (33) (season high).  What a night for Seth! He started the game and earned big minutes against the Raps. He was 3-5 from three and 2-2 on 2PTAs, and made both his free throws for a total of 15 points. It was great to see Curry hitting from long range again! He wasn't just a spot-up shooter, though. He played an all-around game, adding 6 rebounds, 5 assists, a steal, and a block to the effort. Also took great care of the ball, with only 2 turnovers in long minutes. 

Seth played some lovely basketball, with a beautiful stop-and-pop three late in the second. He also had a dramatic  offensive rebound and put back off a DFS miss about halfway through the fourth. After he was flattened by Aunoby in the last two minutes, he hit both of his free throws, bringing him to 88% from the line this season. 

Jason Terry admired Seth's defense, as well as his shooting. Both Ceballos and Carlisle remarked on how much defensive attention Curry draws, and how much his simple presence on the floor opens up space for his teammates. Rick "loved" Seth's game, praised his defense, appreciated his "timely shotmaking on good looks," and noted his important layup in the stretch. Well done, Seth!

Wright (19).  Delon had an excellent shooting night, hitting 6-8 from the field and both free throws to accumulate 15 points off the bench. He also contributed 4 boards and a game-high 3 steals. 

Wright's highlight move was probably a nifty back door cut in the first quarter for a score. 

Carlisle had high praise for Wright, saying he was "very aggressive," and did "a terrific job" against his former team. Jet was also an admirer, commenting that Wright is a defensive presence on the floor, doesn't try to do too much offensively, knows that he is most effective in the paint, is an elite finisher at the rim, is an offensive rebounder, gets out in transition, can initiate the offense, and likes to "snake around" on the attack. Excellent job from the former Raptor!

Lineups.  Carlisle called upon Luka, Seth, Dodo, KP, and Maxi to start. He went back to that group in the meat of the fourth quarter, putting THJ and Wright in for KP and Seth in the last 1:37.

Three-point shooting. In the "needs improvement" category, the Mavs' poor three-point shooting continued unabated. They registered a putrid 9-39 from long range (23%), including Maxi 2-8, KP 1-7, DFS and Luka 1-5, and THJ 0-4. Part of this was attributable to poor shot selection, particularly in the first half. I don't know whether they are being instructed to take shots early, or whether they don't have the patience or confidence to work for a better look. Jet advised the team to take threes from the corners as much as possible, and to cut back on off-the-dribble contested looks. 

The Paint. The Mavs played well in the paint, earning 50 points there, and limiting the Raps to 38. Their interior passing was a thing of beauty, and they made life difficult for the Raptors' offense. The Raps tried a zone defense early, and Wright sliced right through it. Other Mavs followed, making forays to the basket whenever they had a chance. 

Impressions. The offense looked to be clicking in this contest, giving hope that more time playing together will result in better chemistry. Perhaps even more importantly, the team appeared attentive to defense, and made the Raps work for their points. The Mavs did a good job of defending without fouling, recording only 15 fouls for the entire game. They also took reasonably good care of the ball, with only 12 turnovers, with 7 of those coming from Luka, who is a very high-usage player. Although the Raptors were not at their best, the Mavs can be proud of this win in a very entertaining event.

Next. Pop and the Spurs are coming to Big D on Monday. These are not the titanic Spurs of old, but then neither are the Mavs. Should be a good rivalry match!
Like Reply
Excellent write up! Definitely missed these!
Like Reply
Great recap!

A couple things I thought were important. The Raptors aren't a really big bodied/rough-them-up group, except maybe Gasol who has seen his best years already. This allowed the Mavs to play more of their game, IMO, and they took advantage of it. That makes me think that just getting 1 bruiser type might not be enough. Maxi was the bigger body this time and was able to use that to his advantage. When he isn't getting pushed around he looks really, really good out there!

These early games has shown me that their first step to take in their NBA maturity as a team is to close out the game strong and keep a lead. They were OK at this tonight. 

Man, the minutes distribution is something we haven't seen in a long time! I like the 35 for both our top guys. I think Kleber will get exposed if he plays too many more of those 38 minute games, but good for him for earning those minutes! Curry and DFS were on the high side of where I think they should be as well, but it worked out in the end. Would love to see some of their minutes go to JB, JJ and DW. A 10 man rotation is about right for a regular season game, ideally spreading those minutes out a tad more I think would go a long way.
Like Reply
https://out.reddit.com/t3_dxk04m?url=htt...xEp1nH3ku8&token=AQAA4ynRXXgd_VLNr_SoipQ35Ui1fs9hVI-XZILgHDLvWG9Rnz7g&app_name=mweb2x
Like Reply
The offensive execution in the 3rd quarter was picture perfect. Luka drives, dishes to Maxi in corner, Maxi dishes to Dorian, Dorian drives the late close out, help comes, Dorian to Kristaps, dunk. Another similar sequence they swung it around the whole perimeter until Curry had a wide open three in the corner. That´s how you do it. Still they need to get better at 3pt shooting: 9-39. Down to 23rd in 3pt percentage, while taking the 3rd most.
Like Reply
Had missed your recaps. Hopefully you have time to keep putting these together 
Always seem to put some nuance  I was just half thinking about into words.

I never give him any praise, but I wanted to give DFS a shout out for some clutchiness. Had that 3 at around the 4 minute mark to put us up 11. 
He seems to have a knack for bricking all of his shots until it comes down to a key moment in the fourth when he'll swish one.
Like Reply
Let´s call that mavsluvr appendix:

1) Maxi had a wonderful night. What a game by him. Absolutely destroyed Siakam all night. Even though Maxi´s shot was off tonight, you can´t measure his impact on the game. Also had some nice passes.

2) There should be zero, ZERO doubt that KP,Maxi, DFS, Curry and Luka should be our starting five. All of them should play at least 30 min a game consistently, as they did tonight.

3) KP and Maxi fit so much better together than Powell and KP. Powell is hardly playable right now, hope that changes. (Had argument with user "wuhanjay" (I think that was his name) on the old board about Powell vs. Kleber. I always was in Maxi´s camp, but the difference between the both is so huge right now - I didn´t even expect that.)

4) There were small bursts of beautiful ball-movement with KP on the court. Very encouraging.

5) Wright is a beast. Those hustle plays (offensive boards, steals...) are absolutely neck breaking for the other team.

6) Luka maybe had the best game on the defensive end, I have ever seen by him. Move his feed well, cut off penetration, took a charge.

7) Big Kudos to RC for taking out Luka with 1:30 left in the third and bringing him back with 7:00 left in the fourth. No stubborness, instead a nice and necessary adjustment after what happened against NY. Hope he keeps doing that.

8) Edit: KP did a - to me - suprisingly good job against Gasol. He defended him way, way, way better than Powell. That´s good to know that he can hold his ground against big Cs. Oh saw that Mavsluvr already had that. Nevermind!
Like Reply
Thank you, mavsluvr, great to see you back.

I read your post-game write-up and I watched the 10 min condensed game from League Pass.

My primary observation from the condensed game replay was that I have not seen ball movement like that from the Mavs all season.  This was a relief!  I was growing concerned with the team's growing dependency on Luka to both initiate and finish the offensive plays.  From what I saw, we played a style of bball in this game that I hope we would be progressing to.

To IGT's comment above about the physicality of the Raptors and our ability to hang in there with them.  I total  agree.  When people were throwing pitchforks about losing to the Knicks, I felt that they were a bad match-up for us since they have too many physical power-forward types.  Before the season started, I was hoping the Mavs would pick up Ed Davis, or the likes thereof, who would complement our main front-court rotation of KP, Maxi and DP.  Yeah, the Mavs want to win with skill and BBIQ, but that does make us vulnerable to certain types of teams, and this has been the case for 15+ years.  I remember us getting punked by the Nuggets (when they were the Thuggets) in the playoffs, any team Matt Barnes was on, etc.  The only time I thought we were the more physical team consistently was the 2010-2011 team when we had lay the wood Haywood, Tough Juice and D-Steve + Tyson Chandler, and Kidd was physical.  The Mavs, namely Donnie, always vies for skill first, regardless of physical stature.

Finally, the Raptors.  Man, this team is good.  Just think - they were missing Lowry, Ibaka, and they are still pretty deadly.  Oh, and.. they had 2 guys from last year that were pretty good two - KL and DG.  They were STACKED last year.  It's kinda of a shame that KL left such a good group, would have been interesting to see what they could have done if he stayed.
Like Reply
Damn, mavsluvr. You mush have watched the same game I saw! Smile
Like Reply
Awesome summary, as usual! You should do this stuff for a living...

Just a minor correction and a little bit of trivia:

(11-17-2019, 03:04 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:     Maxi (38). Superb defensive work by the man from Wurzberg. 

It's actually WurzbUrg, or Würzburg in German, but I know that typing those umlauts on vowels is quite the hassle.

A 'Burg' is a castle, of which there is an imposing one overlooking the city, while 'Berg' means hill or usually mountain.

No offense, mavsluvr, but as a resident of this beautiful town I just felt obligated to give you some insights...
Like Reply
(11-17-2019, 12:02 PM)Davevoid Wrote: Awesome summary, as usual! You should do this stuff for a living...

(11-17-2019, 03:04 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:     Maxi (38).  Superb defensive work by the man from Wurzberg. 

It's actually WurzbUrg, or Würzburg in German, but I know that typing those umlauts on vowels is quite the hassle.

A 'Burg' is a castle, of which there is an imposing one overlooking the city, while 'Berg' means hill or usually mountain.

No offense, mavsluvr, but as a resident of this beautiful town I just felt obligated to give you some insights...

Burg is more fortress I think, while Schloss is castle.
Basically means something like spice fortress or spiced fortress or spicing fortress.
Like Reply
(11-17-2019, 12:02 PM)Davevoid Wrote: Awesome summary, as usual! You should do this stuff for a living...

(11-17-2019, 03:04 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:     Maxi (38).  Superb defensive work by the man from Wurzberg. 

No offense taken, Davevoid. 

In fact, I'm delighted to know that. Dope that you live there! Thanks for the info!

P.S.  Figured out how to type an umlaut, and corrected in original. Learned something today!
Like Reply
(11-17-2019, 01:31 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:

Basically means something like spice fortress or spiced fortress or spicing fortress.

I wanna get schloss'd and then go to BlancoBurg!
Like Reply
(11-17-2019, 05:41 AM)Jym Wrote: Had missed your recaps. Hopefully you have time to keep putting these together 
Always seem to put some nuance  I was just half thinking about into words.

I never give him any praise, but I wanted to give DFS a shout out for some clutchiness. Had that 3 at around the 4 minute mark to put us up 11. 
He seems to have a knack for bricking all of his shots until it comes down to a key moment in the fourth when he'll swish one.
Thanks, Jym.

I had thought about writing up DFS, but thought he didn't have quite the game the others did. I can do it now, I guess. 

He was fifth in game minutes, with 31. He had 10 relatively inefficient points (1-5 3PTA, 3-6 2PTA, 1-2 FTA), but like Maxi, made a contribution on the defensive end. As I recall, Dodo drew some duty on Fred Van Vleet, who torched the Mavs for 24 points, albeit hitting 4-11 3PTA. Did not re-watch to see how much of that came against DFS. It could have been even worse, for sure. 

I know what you mean about DFS coming up big when you least expect it. How often have you seen him put in a frustrating offensive performance, and then hit a devastating three at just the right time? I thought he was also effective in the paint against Toronto. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Mavs upgrade that position when they get the chance, and transition DFS to a regular bench player. But in the meantime, I think we have to cut him a little slack, and be happy with an above-average defensive and okay offensive performance from him. If you disagree, I would respect that, and am certainly not wedded to that assessment. 

As you mention, he played well at the end of the game. The three with four minutes remaining was exciting. Although he missed a free throw after that, I don't think we need hold that against him. 

Thanks for the thoughts!

(11-17-2019, 02:04 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-17-2019, 01:31 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:

I wanna get schloss'd and then go to BlancoBurg!
LOL. Sounds like fun!
Like Reply
(11-17-2019, 07:54 AM)Thukydides Wrote: Let´s call that mavsluvr appendix:

1) Maxi had a wonderful night. What a game by him. Absolutely destroyed Siakam all night. Even though Maxi´s shot was off tonight, you can´t measure his impact on the game. Also had some nice passes.

2) There should be zero, ZERO doubt that KP,Maxi, DFS, Curry and Luka should be our starting five. All of them should play at least 30 min a game consistently, as they did tonight.

3) KP and Maxi fit so much better together than Powell and KP. Powell is hardly playable right now, hope that changes. (Had argument with user "wuhanjay" (I think that was his name) on the old board about Powell vs. Kleber. I always was in Maxi´s camp, but the difference between the both is so huge right now - I didn´t even expect that.)

I have always been pro-Maxi over Powell (formerly wuhanjay on the other board). So definitely don't attribute that position to me lol. I have also been clammering for him this year. He's awesome.

I like KP being more selective with his shot. They still aren't going in but he's mixing it up more. I wish he would work the mid-range more and get into the paint like he did tonight. His shot is going to fall eventually. He shoots wide open shots and his stroke looks good. I expect him to go on a tear after the TDL.
Like Reply
(11-17-2019, 05:32 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: The offensive execution in the 3rd quarter was picture perfect. Luka drives, dishes to Maxi in corner, Maxi dishes to Dorian, Dorian drives the late close out, help comes, Dorian to Kristaps, dunk. Another similar sequence they swung it around the whole perimeter until Curry had a wide open three in the corner. That´s how you do it.
Those were beautiful sequences. I liked the way the team moved the ball in this match. Showed a lot of progress in that regard, imho.
Like Reply
Luka's behind the back dribble --

https://twitter.com/MickstapeShow/status...52128?s=20
Like Reply
You have no idea how much I've missed these recaps. So happy to see them coming back. Thanks again mavsluvr
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-17-2019, 01:38 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: P.S.  Figured out how to type an umlaut, and corrected in original. Learned something today!

Big Grin

That's great, man, I just don't think you'll have much use for that new-found knowledge. Then again, you might try to sneak in a reference to Motörhead in each of your recaps, or something...

(11-17-2019, 01:31 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Burg is more fortress I think, while Schloss is castle.

Yes and no - it's kinda complicated, lol. I'm impressed by your translation of the city name, pretty much spot on!

A Burg is basically a fortified castle, with all the movie-cliched stuff like thick walls, moats, high towers, and the like. These are typical for medieval times.

A Schloss on the other hand refers to some sort of residential palace, with no visible defensive structures.

Now, while a Festung (fortress) might look like a Burg from the outside, it typically occupies a larger area and has more sophisticated, sprawling fortifications.

I guess some pics might illustrate the differences:

Burg Eltz
https://www.welt.de/img/reise/deutschlan...anne-4.jpg

Schloss Herrenchiemsee
[/url][url=https://www.bayern.by/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/fotolia_36761594_subscription_xl_3840-1024x369.jpg]https://www.bayern.by/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/fotolia_36761594_subscription_xl_3840-1024x369.jpg

Festung Marienberg  (the one towering above Würzburg)
https://deacademic.com/pictures/dewiki/7..._10_11.jpg

And no, I'm not in the travel industry, even though we've got several thousands of these things all over Germany... Tongue
Like Reply
(11-17-2019, 09:40 PM)Davevoid Wrote:
(11-17-2019, 01:38 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: P.S.  Figured out how to type an umlaut, and corrected in original. Learned something today!

Big Grin

That's great, man, I just don't think you'll have much use for that new-found knowledge. Then again, you might try to sneak in a reference to Motörhead in each of your recaps, or something...

(11-17-2019, 01:31 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Burg is more fortress I think, while Schloss is castle.

Yes and no - it's kinda complicated, lol. I'm impressed by your translation of the city name, pretty much spot on!

A Burg is basically a fortified castle, with all the movie-cliched stuff like thick walls, moats, high towers, and the like. These are typical for medieval times.

A Schloss on the other hand refers to some sort of residential palace, with no visible defensive structures.

Now, while a Festung (fortress) might look like a Burg from the outside, it typically occupies a larger area and has more sophisticated, sprawling fortifications.

I guess some pics might illustrate the differences:

Burg Eltz
https://www.welt.de/img/reise/deutschlan...anne-4.jpg

Schloss Herrenchiemsee
[/url][url=https://www.bayern.by/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/fotolia_36761594_subscription_xl_3840-1024x369.jpg]https://www.bayern.by/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/fotolia_36761594_subscription_xl_3840-1024x369.jpg

Festung Marienberg  (the one towering above Würzburg)
https://deacademic.com/pictures/dewiki/7..._10_11.jpg

And no, I'm not in the travel industry, even though we've got several thousands of these things all over Germany... Tongue

No need to torture the US guys with any umlaut, when you might just replace Ü with UE and are still using proper/correct German grammar ;-)
(coming from a German who's currently trying to learn Japanese)
Like Reply