Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEWS: Donnie Nelson sues Dallas Mavericks
Is there a single person in the Mavs organization besides players who aren't predatory abusers? Good lord. I was just getting excited about how we've been playing too.....
[-] The following 1 user Likes sterlingmallory's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 06:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The timing of this is highly suspect. He was arguably the 2nd most powerful person in the Mavs organization at the time of the incident and he sat on it for 2 years?

Huh? That's apparently the OPPOSITE of what the lawsuit says.

His version is, he pursued action from the first he knew of it, working internally to get something real done. But the more he pushed MC to do what was needed (because MC personally had the NDa that had buried the bodies, so to speak), the more he was retaliated against, until he was fired over it.

Put on the outside, he took it to the EEOC. They of course went back to the employer, but rather than fix the problem, MC tried to pay him to go away. He feels the issue needs fixing, not burying. So rather than take the hush money, he goes public, and sues.

If the events are real, Donnie's path he took seems reasonable. Trying to fix company issues, you try to work with your company/boss if you can, to repair the damage properly and prevent future repeats, rather than burn it all to the ground and air the dirty laundry to outsiders. Those latter things only make sense as a last resort.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 06:14 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Is there a single person in the Mavs organization besides players who aren't predatory abusers?

I think this is a very difficult topic. I have no idea about any specific case. But it is a fact, that this kind of accuses are very easy to make, always create damage to the person accused and there are bad people trying to exploit this. Especially with celebrities or people with power. As damage will be created, I am sure some might see as easier way out to pay the ransom than deal with it publicly. 

That is why I don't think it is fair to jump the accused one until something is actually proven. It should always be the prosecuters job to prove the guilt. Not the defendants job to prove he is innocent.
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 04:02 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: I was able to find the court filing online. Alot of accusations and little evidence to support the claims that are repeatedly made.

I actually sat through and read the entire document and came away with your summary as well. 

Again, going to wait for more evidence and for the process to go through, but a picture of them having lunch and an email/document showing an NDA settlement payout that may or may not have been signed isn't enough evidence for the very serious accusations they're levvying.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 06:22 PM)F Gump Wrote: Huh? That's apparently the OPPOSITE of what the lawsuit says.

His version is, he pursued action from the first he knew of it, working internally to get something real done. But the more he pushed MC to do what was needed (because MC personally had the NDa that had buried the bodies, so to speak), the more he was retaliated against, until he was fired over it.

Put on the outside, he took it to the EEOC. They of course went back to the employer, but rather than fix the problem, MC tried to pay him to go away. He feels the issue needs fixing, not burying. So rather than take the hush money, he goes public, and sues.

If the events are real, Donnie's path he took seems reasonable. Trying to fix company issues, you try to work with your company/boss if you can, to repair the damage properly and prevent future repeats, rather than burn it all to the ground and air the dirty laundry to outsiders. Those latter things only make sense as a last resort.

Yeah I just read the headline initially and those were my initial thoughts. 

I then went through the court document after I made my post after seeing CJeter posted it. The timeline is important. I don't consider the timing of the lawsuit in any way suspect, but I do find the contents of the filing to be a little erratic and lacking for the accusations they've made. 

I'm no lawyer and have no idea how it'll play out, just seems like Donnie is trying to drag Cubes through the mud.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump, MFFL
Like Reply
Great options. Two untrustworthy sources. So far we have nothing but their word. Both with a track record of things like this happening under their nose. Easiest solution. Mavs already replaced the first one. Maybe it is time for the league to help us out and remove the second one.
Like Reply
Damn, this comes out when the team is rolling too. Great timing.
Like Reply
According to Marc Stein, the NBA already knew about the Lutin hotel allegation, and that Donnie was to be relieved of his duties at season's end. 
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...8689587201

New statement from the Mavs via Tim Macmahon: 

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...2169564165

It's implied Donnie's inappropriate actions led to his termination.
Like Reply
[Image: FOFzQ-5WQAEJ4yN?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
So what happened with the sexual harrassment claim... Whether it was legit or not or if there was a settlement made with the nephew is completely irrelevant for what the lawsuit is about. 

Donnie essentially claims he was fired because he reported it and tried to get the guy fired.

Donnie then essentially calls Cuban a meddlesome idiot who wouldn't let him do his job that he was very good at it.And drags him thru the mud repeatedly throughout all the claim. 

I think this seems like a bitter ex-girlfriend situation to be quite honest. 

The NBA has seemingly disproven part of the claims that suggests Cuban tried to cover the incident up because they were aware of the claims and confirmed there was an outside investigation. From what I can tell, Mavs did the right thing by hiring outside investigators and taking the claim seriously. 

What doesn't add up is that the claims were fabricated but you settled with the nephew. Why settle if you have determined they are fabricated? Now perhaps you found no evidence they were true but the fabrication comment seems a bit strong. 

I think the most disturbing part of it all is that another person around Cuban has had a sexual complaint against them. Not a good look at all for Cuban which does explain why he wanted the claim dismissed.

also I believe the inappropriate Donnie actions referenced are that he leaked the front office stuff about Bob as a power play to get him out of the way and it blew up in his face and he was fired for leaking it.
Like Reply
"The Mavs have always intended to hold private the inappropriate actions of Donnie Nelson that led to his termination." 

[Image: yeah_eddie_murphy.gif]
Like Reply
Either way, that's a black cloud hanging over the organization's head. They need to clean that shit up quick, fast and in a hurry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 07:46 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: What doesn't add up is that the claims were fabricated but you settled with the nephew. Why settle if you have determined they are fabricated? Now perhaps you found no evidence they were true but the fabrication comment seems a bit strong. 

True or not, the allegations coming to light is a PR hit and the general public isn't going to give you the benefit of the doubt after all business operations sexual scandals not to mention the accusations against Cuban in that Portland bar.   Even if the allegations are baseless, it's a measured risk to pay to make the claims go away and hope they never surfaced.  But the best laid plans...
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 07:49 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Either way, that's a black cloud hanging over the organization's head. They need to clean that shit up quick, fast and in a hurry.

Only because of 2018 story. 

Of course Donnie knows that and is using it to his advantage. He filed the suit and led with that but then had a long list of ridiculous other reasons of why he was terminated unfairly.

(03-17-2022, 07:54 PM)cow Wrote: True or not, the allegations coming to light is a PR hit and the general public isn't going to give you the benefit of the doubt after all business operations sexual scandals not to mention the accusations against Cuban in that Portland bar.   Even if the allegations are baseless, it's a measured risk to pay to make the claims go away and hope they never surfaced.  But the best laid plans...

I guess the risk is they come up out still like this and make them look worse than if you had just led with it and said we had an accusation and it was proven false.
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 07:56 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: I guess the risk is they come up out still like this and make them look worse than if you had just led with it and said we had an accusation and it was proven false.

Agreed.  I'd rather take the temporary PR hit if I'm confident the claims are baseless and the accused party can be exonerated.  If there really is a payment to Donnie's nephew and that comes to light, the accused party is going to look guilty and Cuban is going to look complicit.  I'll never forgive Cuban for the business operation scandals and how he said he wasn't involved enough to be aware.  I have a hard time believing that in the first place considering how meddlesome he is in the basketball operations not to mention how he pitches himself on Shark Tank.
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 08:01 PM)cow Wrote: Agreed.  I'd rather take the temporary PR hit if I'm confident the claims are baseless and the accused party can be exonerated.  If there really is a payment to Donnie's nephew and that comes to light, the accused party is going to look guilty and Cuban is going to look complicit.  I'll never forgive Cuban for the business operation scandals and how he said he wasn't involved enough to be aware.  I have a hard time believing that in the first place considering how meddlesome he is in the basketball operations not to mention how he pitches himself on Shark Tank.

He's not complicit. It was reported, investigated and handle with an outside investigation. Sexual harrassment claims happen at basically every company with a sizable employee based unfortunately. It's going to happen again with the Mavs. The issue with the previous scandal was that the Mavs had no accountability or process to address misconduct and from everything I'm seeing here, thats' completely changed. Mavs are fine in all this. 

Really IMO it's Cuban who looks bad because he's associated with yet another person thats being accused of sexual harrassment.
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 08:09 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: He's not complicit.

You might be right but we don't know the truth and never will.  I have no good will for Cuban at this point so that certainly colors my perspective.
Like Reply
Leaking The Athletic story might be one of those fireable offenses. Do newspapers have to give up their source infront of cival court?

Day 14 on court: Mr Cato, who gave you the information about the Mavs work place?

Big Grin
Like Reply
I read through it. I've long suspected most of what it is in there. I can't stand Cuban and the only reason I'm here is because of Luka.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 08:16 PM)cow Wrote: You might be right but we don't know the truth and never will.  I have no good will for Cuban at this point so that certainly colors my perspective.

as far as being complicit in this instance? We do know. The team and NBA is saying it was investigated. Thats what is supposed to happen.
Like Reply