Poll: What will Jalen Brunson assist total be? O/U 5.5
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Over
40.00%
4 40.00%
Under
60.00%
6 60.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 61: DAL (36-25) vs. GSW (44-17) | 107-101 WIN!!
(02-28-2022, 06:35 AM)Halfnir Wrote: I really love the switchablity of our player core:
6'6 Dinwiddie
6'6 Bullock
6'7 Doncic
6'7 DSF
and adding in either mobile bigs 6'10 Kleber/Bertans/Powell or athletic 6'5 Green

Perfect for Kidd's defensive system. Only compromise is 6'1 Brunson, who also does a decent job defending bigger players.
Outside of Burke and Boban, the deeper bench follows the same pattern. I think you can see a clear plan in roster composition.
As far as what to add to that going forward i think the best option would be a Covington type player. We need someone slightly bigger than DFS that’s an athletic 3&D player. Sure Holmes would be a decent cheap add that would help during the regular season. Obviously another star would be nice…….we’ve seen it in the playoffs though. To beat GSW or LAC we need that player that can do what Draymond and Batum can do at the 5(defend 1-5, rebound, shoot 3’s)
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 07:03 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: As far as what to add to that going forward i think the best option would be a Covington type player. We need someone slightly bigger than DFS that’s an athletic 3&D player. Sure Holmes would be a decent cheap add that would help during the regular season. Obviously another star would be nice…….we’ve seen it in the playoffs though. To beat GSW or LAC we need that player that can do what Draymond and Batum can do at the 5(defend 1-5, rebound, shoot 3’s)

I think they both offer a big chunk of playmaking too.
That's something Covington doesn't offer like at all, arguably even less then DFS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mapka's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 06:35 AM)Halfnir Wrote: I really love the switchablity of our player core:
6'6 Dinwiddie
6'6 Bullock
6'7 Doncic
6'7 DSF
and adding in either mobile bigs 6'10 Kleber/Bertans/Powell or athletic 6'5 Green

Perfect for Kidd's defensive system. Only compromise is 6'1 Brunson, who also does a decent job defending bigger players.
Outside of Burke and Boban, the deeper bench follows the same pattern. I think you can see a clear plan in roster composition.

This is one of the main reasons that I think JB will be the odd man out and traded either this summer or next.
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 06:12 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Not to be a downer, but this game got me the same feeling as the PHI and MIA games. We are not prepared for the playoffs. We might win a a game or two, but this team is far from contending and will need some aggressive moves in the summer to improve that.

You just listed 3 wins during a 20-7 stretch where we are absolutely clamping teams late in games.  

Not saying we're a contender but this team is clearly better than the past two iterations that already won a couple playoff games against a fully loaded title contender.  People are entitled to have their opinions but I'm really enjoying watching this team play basketball, clearly the best Mavericks stretch during the Luka era.
[-] The following 3 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • Kammrath, michaeltex, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 11:17 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: You just listed 3 wins during a 20-7 stretch where we are absolutely clamping teams late in games.  

Not saying we're a contender but this team is clearly better than the past two iterations that already won a couple playoff games against a fully loaded title contender.  People are entitled to have their opinions but I'm really enjoying watching this team play basketball, clearly the best Mavericks stretch during the Luka era.

IDK, feels like those teams relaxed a lot when they got their lead and couldn't get back due to not being in rhythm. Come playoff time, no one is relaxing like that. Don't get me wrong, I loved all three comebacks, and enjoyed every bit of it (even though I was cursing them 5 minutes before).
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 11:24 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: IDK, feels like those teams relaxed a lot when they got their lead and couldn't get back due to not being in rhythm. Come playoff time, no one is relaxing like that. Don't get me wrong, I loved all three comebacks, and enjoyed every bit of it (even though I was cursing them 5 minutes before).

I like to think the defense we're playing is a huge part of these teams not being able to get into a rhythm.  The slow starts (76ers, last night) are troublesome but aside from the first quarter, last night was really pretty back and forth until our run.  I didn't check, but pretty sure that Heat game never had a double digit leader the entire game.

Luka is a half court offensive savant, our defense is the best that I have ever seen it in my lifetime (aside from the 2011 title run maybe).  Again, we're definitely one more piece away from being a contender but this team and roster is much better than some of the narratives you hear (in my opinion).  I like our chances against any of our likely first round opponents.
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 11:24 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: IDK, feels like those teams relaxed a lot when they got their lead and couldn't get back due to not being in rhythm. Come playoff time, no one is relaxing like that. Don't get me wrong, I loved all three comebacks, and enjoyed every bit of it (even though I was cursing them 5 minutes before).

Sure, GS would destroy Dallas in a 7-game series. I doubt anyone here thinks differently. The Mavs are not a contender yet, and we all know it. 

But, they are clearly improving and are probably better than they were last year with a chance to keep improving down the stretch. Given how poorly the season started I'm not sure many of us thought that was how the season would end. 

I think we've learned that Kidd can coach. I think we've learned that the new FO has a different plan for building around Luka that I think fits the requests of the complainers among us more than the old plan. To reveal this plan, they bit the bullet and did something they've been needing to do for over a year. 

Most of all, the team is fun to follow again. There's an energy to it that hasn't been around here since the bubble playoffs, really. I think it's pretty easy to be excited and hopeful for your team while simultaneously having realistic expectations in the back of your mind.
[-] The following 6 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, F Gump, Kammrath, michaeltex, rocky164, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 08:10 AM)Kammrath Wrote: This is one of the main reasons that I think JB will be the odd man out and traded either this summer or next.

Definitely feels like Dimwiddie's play could force a hard conversation around Brunson and his upcoming contract but also seems like a lot of our success is due to our ability to keep multiple ball handlers on the floor at all times so I still expect Brunson to sign a big contract and be a piece next to Luka for the indefinite future.
[-] The following 4 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • F Gump, MFFL, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 11:17 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I'm really enjoying watching this team play basketball, clearly the best Mavericks stretch during the Luka era.

This. 

And, there are going to be options moving forward.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...7524723716
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...7859412997
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
[Image: FMrifKfaMAcRC_u?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 11:40 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...7859412997

Not to mention that he did all this on the road.  As someone who saw Carlisle as the franchise's second most important asset on this team, I'm so happy to eat crow on my expectations for Kidd.  This team has bought in and plays hard for him and the results have been awesome.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • MFFL, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 11:36 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sure, GS would destroy Dallas in a 7-game series. I doubt anyone here thinks differently. The Mavs are not a contender yet, and we all know it. 

But, they are clearly improving and are probably better than they were last year with a chance to keep improving down the stretch. Given how poorly the season started I'm not sure many of us thought that was how the season would end. 

I think we've learned that Kidd can coach. I think we've learned that the new FO has a different plan for building around Luka that I think fits the requests of the complainers among us more than the old plan. To reveal this plan, they bit the bullet and did something they've been needing to do for over a year. 

Most of all, the team is fun to follow again. There's an energy to it that hasn't been around here since the bubble playoffs, really. I think it's pretty easy to be excited and hopeful for your team while simultaneously having realistic expectations in the back of your mind.

Quality win on the road. Dallas has definitely improved, especially on defense, but we also must remember GS was without Klay, Draymond, Iggy (FWIW) and Wiseman.  Totally different game if they have their full complement of players.  They may surprise in the 1st round, but it's hard to beat the really good teams 4 times in a series.
Like Reply
I believe Powell has gotten better as a short role passer.  It is not natural but he has developed a nice pass to the corner for a three.   Maxi really struggles at this, I believe.   It would be nice if we could have someone natural to do this.   

It hasn't even been a year, but one of the things I love about Kidd so far is he lets the players play freely.  They aren't constantly looking over the sidelines afraid to make a mistake.   The results may not always be pretty but I love it.  Outside of WCS and Hardaway, everyone else is playing some of their best ball.   It really makes me hopeful when we make more moves and/or bring in younger players in the draft.  I think we are setting up a good developmental system.  

Luka's birthday is today.   Hopefully they take care of business against the Lakers the next night.  Lakers may be a wounded, caged animal after being humiliated last night.   Dallas then plays Golden State again which is going to be real tough considering last nights results.   Lets take care of business tomorrow night and get ready for another tough GS game.

Next time Dallas surrenders a ten point lead late, I will remember this game.   Things can change so quickly.  You better take care of business.   3-4 stops can be a 10-12 point run in two minutes.   The Mavs, like many other teams, tend to get sloppy and have a few bad possessions/turnovers.   Hopefully they limit these as they mature.
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 01:53 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I believe Powell has gotten better as a short role passer.

I was thinking the same thing last night and this aspect of our offense is SO important.  I would argue that our inability to operate out of the short roll in 4 on 3 situations when Luka gets blitzed was the reason we lost to the Clips last year.  Maxi and DFS just looked frozen in those moments and shouldn't be asked to do that and while it still feels like we need to make strides in that area, Powell seems more and more confident with that responsibility. 

Having multiple ball handlers on the floor at all times now after this trade will also help us when Luka is getting doubled obviously.
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 11:36 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sure, GS would destroy Dallas in a 7-game series. I doubt anyone here thinks differently. The Mavs are not a contender yet, and we all know it. 

And you sir win post of the day with that one. That's exactly my thinking as well. Of course they would be an underdog in a series with GS. But, previously they would have given up in that game and let the blowout commence. They now have guys that know their roles and are starting to believe in each other.

I completely stand corrected on Kidd as a coach. That was my biggest concern. But, I'm seeing that Luka needs a coach that will hold him and the team accountable on D and let Luka run the floor on the other end. Rick probably was too Xs and Os for a guy like Luka. I will gladly eat crow on that one.

They are playing with energy, they are buying into Kidd as a coach, they are playing hard for each other, and Kidd/Nico had the guts to do what the other regime wouldn't have done in moving on from KP. Most importantly Cuban is being quiet. No more treadmill interviews from what I can see. What's not to like.

I'm sure they will make some mistakes along the way but I'm buying what they are selling. I have a feeling that Brunson will be resigned and likely traded for better fitting pieces down the road.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply