Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelicans send out season ticket renewal with NO mention of Zion
https://youtu.be/kIZBpF7FdfU

Windhorst pouring some fuel on the fire.

Basically saying the Pelicans have had zero contact with Zion since early January.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Ok...thanks for you guys responses.

I asked because I thought maybe the players got a percentage of the sales.

If so...and I was Zion and if all I cared about was maximizing my NBA total earnings...and If I thought I had an injury/body type that would make my NBA career short...I would try and get to the largest market team I could before I start playing again.   Hopefully that gamble would lead to increased merch money.

Example...goes to New York.   His hype sells merch and he makes good money.   He then plays well for a year...his hype grows and a lot of merch sales come in.   Then gets hurt and his career is over.

Seems like in that scenario it would have been smart to force your way to a large market before career is over.  Financially at least.  

Its all about money.  But I guess he doesnt get merch sales so doing the above doesnt equal more money him.

I was thinking this might be why there have been murmurings about him getting out of New Orleans and rumors around the Knicks.  Seems to make sense for both parties...New Orleans gets out from an injury risk...Zion gets to make more money.   But I guess it doesnt work like that.
Like Reply
(02-24-2022, 01:28 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Ok...thanks for you guys responses.

I asked because I thought maybe the players got a percentage of the sales.

If so...and I was Zion and if all I cared about was maximizing my NBA total earnings...and If I thought I had an injury/body type that would make my NBA career short...I would try and get to the largest market team I could before I start playing again.   Hopefully that gamble would lead to increased merch money.

Example...goes to New York.   His hype sells merch and he makes good money.   He then plays well for a year...his hype grows and a lot of merch sales come in.   Then gets hurt and his career is over.

Seems like in that scenario it would have been smart to force your way to a large market before career is over.  Financially at least.  

Its all about money.  But I guess he doesnt get merch sales so doing the above doesnt equal more money him.

I was thinking this might be why there have been murmurings about him getting out of New Orleans and rumors around the Knicks.  Seems to make sense for both parties...New Orleans gets out from an injury risk...Zion gets to make more money.   But I guess it doesnt work like that.
Playing in NY there are more big money sponsors to sell their products. The outside money Jordan made was so much more than his NBA salary.
Like Reply
(02-24-2022, 01:41 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Playing in NY there are more big money sponsors to sell their products. The outside money Jordan made was so much more than his NBA salary.

So my thinking isnt completely unreasonable?
Like Reply
(02-24-2022, 01:41 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Playing in NY there are more big money sponsors to sell their products. The outside money Jordan made was so much more than his NBA salary.

Zion's got to have more of a reputation than "he looked all world for half a season a few years back." to get into big endorsement deals.
Like Reply
(02-24-2022, 01:47 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: So my thinking isnt completely unreasonable?
Right, just switch the focus on jersey sales and instead on selling local NY company products (national and worldwide endorsements will be there based on your superstar status no matter what city you play for, however, a lot of that status is achieved through media, and there’s no better media group ready to hype a local guy than NY media).
Like Reply
(02-24-2022, 01:49 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Zion's got to have more of a reputation than "he looked all world for half a season a few years back." to get into big endorsement deals.
All depends on what is true. Is Zion forcing his way out of NO, or is he really that injured, could also be both, this last report of needing another surgery seems a bit fishy if he is where he wants to be with his own doctors treating him.
Like Reply
(02-24-2022, 02:00 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: All depends on what is true. Is Zion forcing his way out of NO, or is he really that injured, could also be both, this last report of needing another surgery seems a bit fishy if he is where he wants to be with his own doctors treating him.

Being out of sight and out of mind (except for basketball junkies) has to really hurt his brand. Additionally, being a "bad boy" is marketable while being a "malcontent" is a problem.
Like Reply
(02-24-2022, 02:30 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Being out of sight and out of mind (except for basketball junkies) has to really hurt his brand. Additionally, being a "bad boy" is marketable while being a "malcontent" is a problem.
Which all comes back in full force when he takes 1 step on the court.
Like Reply