Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
(02-18-2022, 12:02 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Davis Bertans 4/14 (28.6%) from 3 after 2 games.
You’re doing it wrong. You’re supposed to say “small sample size alert” and then ignore that it is a small sample size.
Like Reply
Bertans is not going to be super helpful when he isn't hitting his shots.  I thought he got good looks mostly last night.  There will be some games where he is 1 for 7 and then there will be games where he is 5 for 8.   As long as he is getting good looks on his time on the floor he has a chance to be a positive factor.  I like how he has been moving around without the ball.   Maybe not as extreme as Duncan Robinson with the Heat but I like the movement.   

I have liked what I have seen from Dinwiddie so far.    He doesn't look as explosive as he was with the Nets.  I am sure he will look more for his offense as he gets more comfortable.  Hopefully that is more driving and less of dribble threes.   He has fit in pretty well over the first two games though.

I will continue to watch and hopefully in around two months we have a pretty good feel for both players.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
https://www.instagram.com/p/CaGvbdrMOQb/

interesting caption by Dinwiddie.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 09:57 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: interesting caption by Dinwiddie.

?
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 10:25 AM)Kammrath Wrote: ?

It says "2-0 lol"

Just thought it was weird for him to put the lol.  Not a negative post by the way. I just think he's throwing some shade to Washington.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 10:27 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: It says "2-0 lol"

Just thought it was weird for him to put the lol.  Not a negative post by the way. I just think he's throwing some shade to Washington.

Wasn't that in response to the people making fun of his stat lines? And his response is basically something like, "we're winning, suck it."
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 10:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Wasn't that in response to the people making fun of his stat lines? And his response is basically something like, "we're winning, suck it."

Have no clue what's it in response of. Just found it interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
As bad as Bertans was last night, I thought his drive and kick to Maxi for an open three in the 4th was pretty impactful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 12:42 PM)cow Wrote: As bas as Bertans was last night, I thought his drive and kick to Maxi for an open three in the 4th was pretty impactful.

I personally don't think he played "bad", but that is because for me "bad" play is when you aren't doing what you are supposed to. I think he took the shots he should have, was moving really well within the offense, and was doing his best to make the defensive rotations he is still learning. He SHOT poorly, but as a coach I would have liked his play.
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 01:14 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I personally don't think he played "bad", but that is because for me "bad" play is when you aren't doing what you are supposed to. I think he took the shots he should have, was moving really well within the offense, and was doing his best to make the defensive rotations he is still learning. He SHOT poorly, but as a coach I would have liked his play.

His shot will start to eventually fall. 

We saw the same thing with Bullock earlier in the season. Bartans was getting DNP's in Washington so that is likely playing a factor but he will his shooting rhythm.

Bertans will be fine by the next 10 games or so.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omega_Supreme's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 01:14 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I personally don't think he played "bad", but that is because for me "bad" play is when you aren't doing what you are supposed to. I think he took the shots he should have, was moving really well within the offense, and was doing his best to make the defensive rotations he is still learning. He SHOT poorly, but as a coach I would have liked his play.

His defense was atrocious and he got baptized on an a defensive rebound attempt Garrett Temple.  I don't consider his shots not falling the reason why he was bad.  Shooters are going to miss.  I'd have given him an F before the 4th quarter, but his assist to Maxi and Dorian's steal/layup were impactful plays that helped win us the game.
Like Reply
Listened to the first part of the BS podcast, discussing the KP trades. Haralabob was the guest. If this has already been summarized elsewhere, disregard. 

First, Bill and Bob discussed the recent trade of KP to Washington. 

Bob thinks the Mavs wanted to keep DFS and offer Brunson a contract in free agency, and having KP’s huge contract on the books made that difficult. Now, they are in a position to decide in the summer whether they want to keep Dinwiddie or re-sign Brunson. Bob thinks that is a measured approach, in contrast to the past, where they tried to impulsively make things happen, quickly cobbling together a team without much thought for what it was going to look like several years down the road.

Bob does not think the Bertans contract is a bad one, especially if he can get back to his career shooting percentages. That could well happen. He has had only one bad season, and when your only job is to take three-point shots, there is going to be massive variance over time. 

What has not been talked about enough is that KP has been compromised physically for a number of years. He has had very bad injury luck, and he wasn’t a good running mate for Luka.

Then, Bill and Bob proceeded to discuss the initial trade of KP from the Knicks to Dallas. Bill “takes the loss” on it. He was enthusiastic about it when it happened. But what he failed to appreciate was that KP never fully recovered from his knee injury. Bill has become more sensitive now to the durability risks accompanying extremely tall players. The other thing is that the league has changed since that trade was made, and most centers can now be played off the floor. Does not fault the Mavs for failing to foresee that development coming. 

Bob was surprised when the trade happened at the ASB of Luka’s rookie year, but said KP was high on his list of RFAs to pursue in the summer, and he wasn’t disappointed to find out the trade had happened. The thing he disagreed with was giving KP a five-year, fully guaranteed contract on his re-signing. At the time, they still didn’t know what they had with Luka, and it was early to try to partner him up long term. He appreciates that ownership wanted to show KP some love, but Bob thinks that giving the extra year to a guy who had a bad injury history, was on a gigantic salary, and didn’t clearly fit with Luka was a poor decision.  

Both guys agree that the Mavs are playing well now. 
[-] The following 4 users Like nielyn's post:
  • cow, DanSchwartzgan, michaeltex, SleepingHero
Like Reply
About half of the threes Bertans took last night weren't good shots, he was just trying too hard to make something happen. The 4th quarter lineup with him, Spencer, Luka, and Brunson might need to be thrown away though...that was a defensive nightmare and the Pelicans made them pay!
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 01:55 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: About half of the threes Bertans took last night weren't good shots, he was just trying too hard to make something happen. The 4th quarter lineup with him, Spencer, Luka, and Brunson might need to be thrown away though...that was a defensive nightmare and the Pelicans made them pay!

I think those are just the types of shots he likes and can make:  deep, deep threes and that pump fake, sidestep.
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 01:53 PM)nielyn Wrote:  Bill has become more sensitive now to the durability risks accompanying extremely tall players. 

Bill coming around to my line of thinking has me worried. lol

I do think he's a bit more aggressive than me as he recently said you should only pay a center more than 5M if he isn't Joker or Joel.   I wouldn't pay Ayton a max contract and I guess Towns is debatable.  As talented as he is, I hate his personality.  I still think I'd rather stick to the ~10m range and get 60% of the production of a max guy and spend my money elsewhere.
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 01:53 PM)nielyn Wrote: Listened to the first part of the BS podcast, discussing the KP trades. Haralabob was the guest. If this has already been summarized elsewhere, disregard. 

Bob thinks the Mavs wanted to keep DFS and offer Brunson a contract in free agency, and having KP’s huge contract on the books made that difficult. Now, they are in a position to decide in the summer whether they want to keep Dinwiddie or re-sign Brunson. Bob thinks that is a measured approach, in contrast to the past, where they tried to impulsively make things happen, quickly cobbling together a team without much thought for what it was going to look like several years down the road.

Bob does not think the Bertans contract is a bad one, especially if he can get back to his career shooting percentages. That could well happen. He has had only one bad season, and when your only job is to take three-point shots, there is going to be massive variance over time. 

What has not been talked about enough is that KP has been compromised physically for a number of years. He has had very bad injury luck, and he wasn’t a good running mate for Luka.

Then, Bill and Bob proceeded to discuss the initial trade of KP from the Knicks to Dallas. Bill “takes the loss” on it. He was enthusiastic about it when it happened. But what he failed to appreciate was that KP never fully recovered from his knee injury. Bill has become more sensitive now to the durability risks accompanying extremely tall players. The other thing is that the league has changed since that trade was made, and most centers can now be played off the floor. Does not fault the Mavs for failing to foresee that development coming. 

Bob was surprised when the trade happened at the ASB of Luka’s rookie year, but said KP was high on his list of RFAs to pursue in the summer, and he wasn’t disappointed to find out the trade had happened. The thing he disagreed with was giving KP a five-year, fully guaranteed contract on his re-signing. At the time, they still didn’t know what they had with Luka, and it was early to try to partner him up long term. He appreciates that ownership wanted to show KP some love, but Bob thinks that giving the extra year to a guy who had a bad injury history, was on a gigantic salary, and didn’t clearly fit with Luka was a poor decision.  

Here's the source:

https://youtu.be/rDzZQ6z8LsA
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 01:53 PM)nielyn Wrote: Listened to the first part of the BS podcast, discussing the KP trades. Haralabob was the guest. If this has already been summarized elsewhere, disregard. 

Great recap! We currently have an opening for game recaps if you would be interested?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 02:05 PM)cow Wrote: Bill coming around to my line of thinking has me worried. lol

I do think he's a bit more aggressive than me as he recently said you should only pay a center more than 5M if he isn't Joker or Joel.   I wouldn't pay Ayton a max contract and I guess Towns is debatable.  As talented as he is, I hate his personality.  I still think I'd rather stick to the ~10m range and get 60% of the production of a max guy and spend my money elsewhere.

Bob was largely in agreement with this, but held Gobert out as an exception because his D is just so impactful.  He cited numbers that show Gobert being "played off the court in the playoffs" is an exaggeration.  

Bob had lots of little nuggets...especially any time he mentioned how a player looked on "his rating system".  He liked the idea of going after SD in free agency.  There was a nice conversation about small ball centers of the past which had me wanting to go look for a 4/3 who could also help with our center depth.  I know, I know...not enough minutes to go around already.  But, DFS can play multiple positions.  The problem is finding they guy that fits that mold that you want to give minutes in both the regular rotation and the small-ball rotation.  I mean finding a guy like that is almost like finding a ..... unicorn.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 02:34 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Bob was largely in agreement with this, but held Gobert out as an exception because his D is just so impactful.  He cited numbers that show Gobert being "played off the court in the playoffs" is an exaggeration.  

Bob had lots of little nuggets...especially any time he mentioned how a player looked on "his rating system".  He liked the idea of going after SD in free agency.  There was a nice conversation about small ball centers of the past which had me wanting to go look for a 4/3 who could also help with our center depth.  I know, I know...not enough minutes to go around already.  But, DFS can play multiple positions.  The problem is finding they guy that fits that mold that you want to give minutes in both the regular rotation and the small-ball rotation.  I mean finding a guy like that is almost like finding a ..... unicorn.

Finding the next Draymond Green would be nice.  I kind of disagree about not enough minutes though.  We are stuck with Powell for another season but DFS and Maxi are the only quality guys we have that can play the 4 (Maxi/DFS) and 5 (Maxi).    I'm a little curious about our very own Feron Hunt.  1.4 Steals, 1.1 Blocks and 8.1 boards per game, his defensive rating isn't great though.  Still hoping he can be a DFS starter kit albeit with a lower defensive ceiling but much higher offensive ceiling.

edit:  I like Gobert a lot and would be more comfortable paying him a lot of money
Like Reply
(02-18-2022, 03:17 PM)cow Wrote: Finding the next Draymond Green would be nice.  I kind of disagree about not enough minutes though.  We are stuck with Powell for another season but DFS and Maxi are the only quality guys we have that can play the 4 (Maxi/DFS) and 5 (Maxi).    I'm a little curious about our very own Feron Hunt.  1.4 Steals, 1.1 Blocks and 8.1 boards per game, his defensive rating isn't great though.  Still hoping he can be a DFS starter kit albeit with a lower defensive ceiling but much higher offensive ceiling.

edit:  I like Gobert a lot and would be more comfortable paying him a lot of money

I mean is there anyone currently in the league or even a prospect that could possibly be the next Draymond Green? I'm struggling to think of one. 

Maybe Mikal Bridges? Deandre Hunter? Neither have the passing ability of Green though. 

I will say if our own Josh Green was 2-3 inches taller he'd be a pretty good candidate!
Like Reply