Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Sabonis+Lamb+Holiday+2nd to SAC | Haliburton+Hield+Tristan to IND
(02-09-2022, 12:47 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I seem to be one of the few who thinks the Kings did just fine. Sabonis is a 20 & 10 guy with an amazing 65% true shooting. Plus, they dumped the useless Hield, cleared out a logjam at point guard, and brought back a couple of other average players who can find solid roles on a middle of the pack team. Don’t get me wrong, this could be a very good long term deal for the Pacers, but the Kings get a solid, low risk return.

The issue is not with Sabonis. I would have loved him here.  That is because we have so little legit starting talent. 

However Sabonis is a poor defender in space for a big guy and if we are not desperate for top heavy talent we would have thought twice because we can’t minimize lack of defense by a big guy when switches happen. 

Is Sabonis currently a better player than Tyrese? Yes. Will Tyrese ever be a scorer you can absolutely count on like Sabonis. Not sure. However even with those deficiencies if the choice was between Tyrese and Sabonis, I will take Tyrese every single time. 

Kings don’t have our issue in that they have another very good guard in Fox. They probably wanted to swap Fox for Sabonis but the Pacers wanted Tyrese and the Kings relented.   Their logic might be it is better to go with two pretty solid players playing different spots   However I would have held off and seen what else I could have got for Fox. Tyrese to me is the type of guard you can win a title with and has no real glaring weakness.
Like Reply
Let us remember the Bogut Monta trade.  Warriors felt Monta and Curry were similar types playing the same position.  Depends upon who you ask there is a rumor out there that the Bucks could have had Curry for Bogut and it was their choice. 

If that trade happened today and Curry was traded, people would be saying how GS won because they got a complementary big guy to play next to Monta. 

It is not about complementary fits. It is about you keeping the one you can count on in the playoffs. Smaller guards without a dependable jump shot struggle. Maybe Fox proves me wrong but I am a huge Tyrese fan. So I personally would not have let him go even though I love Sabonis’s offensive skills and rebounding talent.
Like Reply
One of the points Hollinger made this morning is Sabonis can be a unrestricted free agent in two years for a team/city he has no history with.  He said it will be hard for the Kings to extend him prior to FA due to his current salary and what he will be looking for.   If he continues his strong play, he is going to hold the Kings ransom on some sky high demands for a team who will probably be 9th or 10th in the west.  

Halliburtan probably would have been under team control for 7 more years.  This needs to be factored in as well.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, hakeemfaan, Mavs2021, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I don't think the issue is trading future (Haliburton) for present (Sabonis). Teams do that all the freaking time. The issue is that it's not the smart thing to do for a team struggling just to get into the play-in range. That's when you trade your vets for more young prospects. The Kings are going in the exact, wrong direction with their business. That's the issue, imo.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, hakeemfaan, Jmaciscool, MFFL, Not an evil robot
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...5715860482
Like Reply
(02-09-2022, 12:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't think the issue is trading future (Haliburton) for present (Sabonis). Teams do that all the freaking time. The issue is that it's not the smart thing to do for a team struggling just to get into the play-in range. That's when you trade your vets for more young prospects. The Kings are going in the exact, wrong direction with their business. That's the issue, imo.

Teams and even some fan basis appreciate being in play-offs.
Kings will set the record if they don't make the play off this season. 
They are in the right direction tbh, they have tried the young prospect part too many times 
From the Tyreke and Cousins being the next Kobe and Shaq, to thinking that Fox and Bagley will be the next elite duo.
Sabonis is just 25 himself anyway, if he leads them to play offs somehow then for them the trade is already a win even if they get swept
Like Reply
(02-09-2022, 12:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't think the issue is trading future (Haliburton) for present (Sabonis). Teams do that all the freaking time. The issue is that it's not the smart thing to do for a team struggling just to get into the play-in range. That's when you trade your vets for more young prospects. The Kings are going in the exact, wrong direction with their business. That's the issue, imo.

Sabonis is pretty young too. So I don’t know if I will classify this as strictly a desperate move for short term relevance. They have clearly made an appraisal on the ceiling of Tyrese and feel that the team would be better off with Sabonis.

Now I disagree with that evaluation (and from your posts looks like you do too) but time will tell whether Sac made the right choice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/statu...1709809667
Like Reply
(02-09-2022, 04:52 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Sabonis is pretty young too. So I don’t know if I will classify this as strictly a desperate move for short term relevance. They have clearly made an appraisal on the ceiling of Tyrese and feel that the team would be better off with Sabonis.

Now I disagree with that evaluation (and from your posts looks like you do too) but time will tell whether Sac made the right choice.

I agree both are young, both can play at high level at least 8 years. That's far more than a team can hold onto players in general. Sabonis is a clearly better player right now. Today Kings have won the trade. In future Indy may win it if Haliburton develops into a better player than Sabonis. But something people forget fast is the years that players develop where they were not at the top level. If Sabonis is better player for next 3 years, that is definitely something to take into account, thats 3 years that Kings had the better deal of the trade.

I love the game of both players. How they develop will be the story of this trade. One thing that nobody mentions is how much Sabonis can develop as well, it's not only Haliburton that can do that. Everyone speaks about the ceiling of Haliburton due to the few years of difference. But Sabonis is really young as well, and keeps improving, his trajectory is only going up IMO, I see plenty of similarities with Jokic some years back.

(02-09-2022, 05:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/statu...1709809667

Another trade? You mean like Sabonis to Dallas trade that sends KP and THJ to the Kings?
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply

I just don’t think the Kings have the same goals as us. They probably aren’t really thinking about trying to build a title contender. They just want a nice 45 win team that plays with professionalism and gives people a reason to come out to the arena on a Friday night. They don’t want to bottom out to get better, and they don’t care if their ceiling is average, middle of the pack NBA team. Sabonis is a solid dude, guaranteed to go for 20 and 10 with hyper efficiency on a nightly basis.  If you can put a few average players and solid professionals around that, you can win 45 games in this league.  It’s not what I’d aspire to, but I understand it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(02-09-2022, 05:55 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I just don’t think the Kings have the same goals as us. They probably aren’t really thinking about trying to build a title contender. They just want a nice 45 win team that plays with professionalism and gives people a reason to come out to the arena on a Friday night. They don’t want to bottom out to get better, and they don’t care if their ceiling is average, middle of the pack NBA team. Sabonis is a solid dude, guaranteed to go for 20 and 10 with hyper efficiency on a nightly basis.  If you can put a few average players and solid professionals around that, you can win 45 games in this league.  It’s not what I’d aspire to, but I understand it.

I think the Kings have done a nice job with their roster.  They have a ton of talent.

Haliburton
Fox
Barnes
Holmes
Mitchell
Hield
Harkless
Bagley
Metu
Davis 
Len
Jones
Thompson

And all that talent led them to a 20-35 record including a 53 game drubbing by the Celtics all of which Haliburton started in.  I know people like to dunk on the Kings but if Haliburton was THAT DUDE, the Kings would have a much better record.  It just feels like NBA Twitter and media are way overreacting to this trade.  Maybe Sabonis is undervalued since there is always a tinge of European bias in NBA circles.   Based on the reactions, you'd think the trade was for someone like Davis Bertans instead of a two-time all-star.

Or maybe I'm just wrong.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • hakeemfaan, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TYRES3HALl/status/1491497437365776396?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1491497437365776396%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2165841start%3D40
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • hakeemfaan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/RomeovilleKid/status...6767476747
Like Reply