Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: RoCo+Powell to LAC | Winslow+Johnson+2nd to POR
Exclamation 
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1489681792881860620
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • SatnamSingh
Like Reply
Keon Johnson was the 21st pick this year.

So this seems like Josh Green level prospect and a bunch of junk for Roco and Powell.

WOW
[-] The following 3 users Like SatnamSingh's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, omahen, SleepingHero
Like Reply
What am I missing. This is horrible for the Blazers. Would have guessed that both guys have positive value (maybe even a later first). Winslow and Bledsoe on the other hand with negative value. Don´t know a thing about Johnson but his numbers are bad.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • MFFL, SatnamSingh, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-04-2022, 02:39 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: What am I missing. 

Hah that was my first reaction as I furiously googled Keon Johnson.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SatnamSingh's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
More coming in the next few days? A vet PG like Bledsoe next to Lillard and McCollum makes no sense. Is Dame finally done with the Blazers front office or are they getting rid of McCollum as well?
Like Reply
It looks like Portland's getting ready to blow it up. You figure they could have gotten more for Powell and Roco though
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • Tyler
Like Reply
The Blazers are done...Got 10 years out of Lillard, that is more than any small market team can expect in today's league. They will now join the list of all of the other teams that have been rebuilding forever like the Kings and Magic.
Like Reply
This is an A+ trade for Clippers. Both players very useful for them, both players by fast best players in the deal and they got them for a B prospect and a SRP. When Kawhi and George come back, this will be a very deep team.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, MFFL
Like Reply
Norman Powell is in the first year of a 5/90 contract, Portland just wanted to dump it as they appear headed for a rebuild.
Like Reply
(02-04-2022, 02:55 PM)Dirknows Wrote: Norman Powell is in the first year of a 5/90 contract, Portland just wanted to dump it as they appear headed for a rebuild.

I don't think that is really what rebuilding teams do. Rebuilding teams sell players that bring assets. They don't need to dump him, they can keep him, pump his value and trade him later. I would rather keep Powell than get 20 mil of Bledsoe for another season.
Like Reply
Did this duck the Luxury Tax because that would be the only piece that makes sense.
Like Reply
It sounds like Leonard isn't coming back this year and Paul George could be out the rest of the season as well (at least that is what I read somewhere).

But next year, Clippers could be the favorite if Leonard returns to form.    Either Powell starts in a super small but flexible lineup or he is a high priced sixth man.    I could see either.

Roco is a free agent and Batum has a real player option that he will decline.   I can't see them keeping both, maybe not either.   I would be fine with either for the Mavs if they were willing to use their MLE.   I am less of a fan of Roco than most.

Keon Johnson was a lightning rod pick.  Great athlete, not a good basketball player.   Portland has had some luck developing those guys.  

I would be sniffing around Nurkic in a buy low deal...even if I am not sure he will work out here.

(02-04-2022, 02:57 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't think that is really what rebuilding teams do. Rebuilding teams sell players that bring assets. They don't need to dump him, they can keep him, pump his value and trade him later. I would rather keep Powell than get 20 mil of Bledsoe for another season.

Oh wow...Bledsoe has another year left on his contract?  Ouch.  Actually, I think when he was in Memphis they were saying his last year is only guaranteed for a few million.    Not sure though.  If not, that is really not a smart move.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(02-04-2022, 03:01 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Did this duck the Luxury Tax because that would be the only piece that makes sense.

I think it does, they were just roughly 3 mil over.
Like Reply
Clippers feel they have a shot as a playoff team, not a play-in team.  Despite all the injuries, Ty Lue has done yeoman's work with that roster.
Like Reply
Clippers still don't have a PG they look for, but their overall amount of talent is crazy. As is their luxury tax bill Smile
Like Reply
(02-04-2022, 03:33 PM)omahen Wrote: Clippers still don't have a PG they look for, but their overall amount of talent is crazy. As is their luxury tax bill Smile

Bobby Marks says their tax bill goes from 93 million to 112 million.

So how about we take Ibaka into our TPE.  They they trade us Batum for Trey Burke.  Then we tell Toronto we will release Ibaka if they release Dragic.  LOL.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, omahen
Like Reply
How the hell couldn't the Mavs match that..........

HOW do the Clips keep getting these steals?

(02-04-2022, 02:39 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: What am I missing. This is horrible for the Blazers. Would have guessed that both guys have positive value (maybe even a later first). Winslow and Bledsoe on the other hand with negative value. Don´t know a thing about Johnson but his numbers are bad.

I am SHOCKED

(02-04-2022, 03:02 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would be sniffing around Nurkic in a buy low deal...even if I am not sure he will work out here.

If RoCo and Powell went for a late 1st prospect and some junk then Nurkic has to be available for a 2nd rounder.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-04-2022, 03:43 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: So how about we take Ibaka into our TPE. 

Dumping Ibaka would likely cost 2 second rounders or so. Still better than doing nothing with the TPE, which will be likely outcome for the Mavs. And leaving jokes aside, Ibaka might actually help a bit as a back up PF.

(02-04-2022, 03:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: How the hell couldn't the Mavs match that..........

We have no use for Powell. 

(02-04-2022, 03:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: HOW do the Clips keep getting these steals?

I guess their FO is good and the owner doesn't seem to care about lux tax

(02-04-2022, 03:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: If RoCo and Powell went for a late 1st prospect and some junk then Nurkic has to be available for a 2nd rounder.

Probably. But I don't really see the need on Mavs with all the centre we have, and Portland would likely require an expiring contract.
Like Reply
(02-04-2022, 03:51 PM)omahen Wrote: Probably. But I don't really see the need on Mavs with all the centre we have, and Portland would likely require an expiring contract.

This team needs a talent upgrade from anywhere. Getting Nurkic on the cheap is exactly what we should be aiming for.

(02-04-2022, 03:51 PM)omahen Wrote: I guess their FO is good and the owner doesn't seem to care about lux tax

Very true. The fact that Ballmer has the net worth to buy every single NBA team and still have several billion left over means he can pay whatever he wants. 

(02-04-2022, 03:51 PM)omahen Wrote: We have no use for Powell. 
Disagree for the same reasons for getting Nurkic. Mavs need talent. Powell is talent. But really, I don't really care for Powell. RoCo was the guy I wanted and to see him be essentially a throw in hurts. He would've been a great guy to add next to DFS.

(02-04-2022, 03:51 PM)omahen Wrote: Dumping Ibaka would likely cost 2 second rounders or so. Still better than doing nothing with the TPE, which will be likely outcome for the Mavs. And leaving jokes aside, Ibaka might actually help a bit as a back up PF.

I like this idea. Especially if the Clips pay a little something to make it happen.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Excellent piece about the trade. Short recap:
- Portland traded to get out of 2023 tax. More moves (McCullom) in a similar manner coming? Mentions Pelicans, their expiring contracts like Sato and probably picks as an option.
- Clippers traded for next year. Covington might be kept or traded, depending how they value his bird rights

John Hollinger’s Clippers-Blazers trade takeaways: Future taxes, 2023 death lineups, CJ McCollum and more – The Athletic
Like Reply