Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 52: OKC (16-34) @ DAL (29-23): 120-114 loss
(02-03-2022, 10:04 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Is it also possible the Mavs have just been thoroughly scouted? I mean this is pretty much the same team as it was 3 years ago. Which means 29 teams have 3 years worth of data on the same 9 players (Luka, KP, DFS, Maxi, Powell, THJ, Burke, Brunson, and Boban) running basically the same offensive scheme.

I started to notice since last year that teams seem 1 step ahead of Luka at times and sit on the exact passes to the corner or out on the key. Which in turn started to make Luka do these dumb mid air passes out of shots because then teams don't expect it.

Well if the team had different players, able to do different things, there's no way the opponent could just magically know where to sit on passes like that. 

I'm still shocked at how little this team has changed since 2018-2019, Luka's rookie season.

I don't think there are many surprises with teams.   I just think the Mavs are not very difficult to scheme for.   Obviously Luka can answer almost any defense.  But teams don't need to worry about a big guy abusing you down low.   DFS or Maxi may drive to the basket at times, but that is certainly nothing you need to scheme against.  For the most part, I think it is a win for a defense if they get any player besides Luka or Jalen driving to the basket.  

The one thing I keep on coming back to, is do we play this way because we have to or because it is how Luka wants to play?  Jalen isn't elite.  He is a nice, tough guard who brings a lot of solid things to the table.   KP is paid to be elite, but his offensive game is not as elite as we all hoped at this stage.  But, I feel like there are stretches where both Jalen and KP are not involved in the offense and are pretty much watching.  Does this change if we pair Luka with a real elite offensive player?  Or does he play a similar role as what KP and Jalen are currently in.  To me that is a big question.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, ballsrchr, burekemde
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 52: OKC (16-34) @ DAL (29-23): 120-114 loss - by Chicagojk - 02-03-2022, 02:31 PM