Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midseason grades vs championship expectations
Luka: C-

The Mavs best player is measured against some lofty expectations and he just hasn't been good enough. I can point to a lot of reasons --from lingering injury to conditioning, shot selection, decision making, officiating; and lack of shot making and poor defensive effort. Bottom line, Luka isn't playing like one of the top five players in the game. I posted earlier in the season that it comes down to lack of maturity for me. Call it growing pains. But whatever it is, I hope it's temporary. And the good news is, even this version of Luka is really, really good.

KP: B

Don't look now but KP is doing a lot of unicorn things when he plays. I still think he's a center in the modern NBA but the defense has looked good with KP at power forward spot. He's becoming a problem offensively. His advanced analytics are strong. He's missed some time, but I can live with his availability if you take covid and load management out of the mix. It remains to be seen if KP and Luka can coexist but if you want to talk about upside, making it work is still probably the best outcome for this team. Still believe KP can be a top 30 player in the league and certainly part of a championship core.

DFS: A

Dorian has been fantastic - maybe ideal - as a role player. Big, switchable wing. Consistent shooter. Rugged defender. Will slash if you close out too hard. Good teams need a guy like this in the rotation. He's an arguably indispensable minutes-eater, especially on a team built around Luka. This team certainly can't afford to trade DFS unless he's part of a package that returns a star. But let's be honest ... I'm not sure a guy like DFS is a 30+ min player on a championship roster. If an upgrade is available, Dallas has to pull the trigger. 

THJ: D

Probably expendable. Timmy hasn't looked comfortable all year. He seems a poor fit in Kidd's system but he's a better player than he's shown. He can get his own shot, and could probably start for a lot of teams, but in Dallas you need him to bring some punch off the bench. Instant offense, Jason Terry, sixth man, especially at his salary slot. It's just not happening. I'd like to see this team do a better job of getting THJ some rhythm catch & shoot opportunities as soon as he enters the game. THJ needs better role definition and an identity because right now he's just another guy on offense and his defense stinks. Getting THJ going or trading him for a guy who can crack the top-6 on a contender is critical.

Brunson: A

Brunson is giving this team everything it could want from a backup point guard. Starter, but not star quality. Smart, tough, sneaky quick. Reliable scorer and decision maker. I still think Brunson is best suited to a change-of-pace JJB role on a championship team, but that's not a knock on either player. JJB started and averaged 30 MPG when they closed out the Heat as 2011 NBA champions. Brunson looks like he can be a consistent 26-30 minute guy on a top team. But JJB was never paid like a starter, so if Brunson will command that kind of number, you have to move him for some length.

Kleber: B

Maxi does what he does and he's super important in Dallas but if you're comparing this team to the 2011 squad, I have Kleber slotted near Brian Cardinal. I need 15 minutes of flashy defense and a couple of knock down threes. Kleber can do that but if there's a team who values him more, Dallas has to listen.

Bullock: D

Reggie has a limited role on a playoff team and may yet settle in in Dallas --but Green is coming on.

Powell: D

Powell can play 10 minutes in a Ian Mahinmi role but he's not a starting center. Dallas has to upgrade the frontcourt if they hope to contend.

Green: B

Well well well. We might have a player here. Can Josh Green be DeShawn Stevenson, right now? Yes. I think he can.

S Brown: C

Shannon Brown has been playing backup PF with KP out. Decent player in limited minutes but won't move the needle either way.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Kammrath
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 02:23 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Luka: C-

The Mavs best player is measured against some lofty expectations and he just hasn't been good enough. I can point to a lot of reasons --from lingering injury to conditioning, shot selection, decision making, officiating; and lack of shot making and poor defensive effort. Bottom line, Luka isn't playing like one of the top five players in the game. I posted earlier in the season that it comes down to lack of maturity for me. Call it growing pains. But whatever it is, I hope it's temporary. And the good news is, even this version of Luka is really, really good.

KP: B

Don't look now but KP is doing a lot of unicorn things when he plays. I still think he's a center in the modern NBA but the defense has looked good with KP at power forward spot. He's becoming a problem offensively. His advanced analytics are strong. He's missed some time, but I can live with his availability if you take covid and load management out of the mix. It remains to be seen if KP and Luka can coexist but if you want to talk about upside, making it work is still probably the best outcome for this team. Still believe KP can be a top 30 player in the league and certainly part of a championship core.

DFS: A

Dorian has been fantastic - maybe ideal - as a role player. Big, switchable wing. Consistent shooter. Rugged defender. Will slash if you close out too hard. Good teams need a guy like this in the rotation. He's an arguably indispensable minutes-eater, especially on a team built around Luka. This team certainly can't afford to trade DFS unless he's part of a package that returns a star. But let's be honest ... I'm not sure a guy like DFS is a 30+ min player on a championship roster. If an upgrade is available, Dallas has to pull the trigger. 

THJ: D

Probably expendable. Timmy hasn't looked comfortable all year. He seems a poor fit in Kidd's system but he's a better player than he's shown. He can get his own shot, and could probably start for a lot of teams, but in Dallas you need him to bring some punch off the bench. Instant offense, Jason Terry, sixth man, especially at his salary slot. It's just not happening. I'd like to see this team do a better job of getting THJ some rhythm catch & shoot opportunities as soon as he enters the game. THJ needs better role definition and an identity because right now he's just another guy on offense and his defense stinks. Getting THJ going or trading him for a guy who can crack the top-6 on a contender is critical.

Brunson: A

Brunson is giving this team everything it could want from a backup point guard. Starter, but not star quality. Smart, tough, sneaky quick. Reliable scorer and decision maker. I still think Brunson is best suited to a change-of-pace JJB role on a championship team, but that's not a knock on either player. JJB started and averaged 30 MPG when they closed out the Heat as 2011 NBA champions. Brunson looks like he can be a consistent 26-30 minute guy on a top team. But JJB was never paid like a starter, so if Brunson will command that kind of number, you have to move him for some length.

Kleber: B

Maxi does what he does and he's super important in Dallas but if you're comparing this team to the 2011 squad, I have Kleber slotted near Brian Cardinal. I need 15 minutes of flashy defense and a couple of knock down threes. Kleber can do that but if there's a team who values him more, Dallas has to listen.

Bullock: D

Reggie has a limited role on a playoff team and may yet settle in in Dallas --but Green is coming on.

Powell can play 10 minutes in a Ian Mahinmi role but he's not a starting center. Dallas has to upgrade the frontcourt if they hope to contend.

Green: B

Well well well. We might have a player here. Can Josh Green be DeShawn Stevenson, right now? Yes. I think he can.

S Brown: C

Shannon Brown has been playing backup PF with KP out. Decent player in limited minutes but won't move the needle either way.

Who is Shannon Brown?
[-] The following 1 user Likes haveitall's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
Thanks, I think I would be fine with the grades and write ups.   

I do think KP deserves a B, but some of the grade is TBD on whether him and Luka can both become better together.   Right now I still get the feeling they have not truly formed their powers that benefit each other, if that makes sense.  Second, KP needs to be available, so that is TBD as well.  

It is nice to see a heartbeat from Josh Green the last few weeks.  I would probably give him a TBD to see if his good play continues.    If it does, I think the B grade is accurate.  

I would probably give Powell a C, but agree with you on his minutes as a 10-20 minute guy.
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 02:23 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Bullock: D

I would quibble with these two. Because of recent uptick in play from both, I would give them both a C (maybe C+ for DP).
Like Reply
Taking the comparison to 2011 further really highlights where the Mavs need to get better. It's no secret, you have to look at upgrading the frontcourt. DFS, Powell and Kleber are the pieces you have play with. Probably Brunson too, because of the contract. 

Luka (Kidd) - advantage Luka
KP (Dirk) - big advantage Dirk, but KP is no slouch when healthy
Brunson (JJB) - can do
Bullock/Green (Stevenson) - can do

Powell (Chandler) - Mavs have to find a starting center, or move KP to five and bring in a banging power forward.

THJ (JET) - Hardaway has been terrible. He's playing with no confidence, something JET never lacked. But he can be better. I just don't think you can afford to trade him unless it's a clear 1-1 upgrade.

DFS (Marion) - I love Dorian but he's no Matrix.

Kleber (Cardinal) - Can you get value here to upgrade your top-6?
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 04:38 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I love Dorian but he's no Matrix.

Yep, he's better.... Smile
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 04:38 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Taking the comparison to 2011 further really highlights where the Mavs need to get better. It's no secret, you have to look at upgrading the frontcourt. DFS, Powell and Kleber are the pieces you have play with. Probably Brunson too, because of the contract. 

Luka (Kidd) - advantage Luka
KP (Dirk) - big advantage Dirk, but KP is no slouch when healthy
Brunson (JJB) - can do
Bullock/Green (Stevenson) - can do

Powell (Chandler) - Mavs have to find a starting center, or move KP to five and bring in a banging power forward.

THJ (JET) - Hardaway has been terrible. He's playing with no confidence, something JET never lacked. But he can be better. I just don't think you can afford to trade him unless it's a clear 1-1 upgrade.

DFS (Marion) - I love Dorian but he's no Matrix.

Kleber (Cardinal) - Can you get value here to upgrade your top-6?

Not sure if this is what you are trying to do but recreating a team that won more than ten years ago probably isn´t the smartest approach. The game evolves, rules changes, schemes that used to be great become obsolete.
Comparing the talent level makes sense to get an idea how much more the Mavs need to get back into the contender conversation. As much as I like the 2011 team. Just looking at the individual talent they are not comparable to some of the 2-3 star player powerhouses that are dominating the league right now. Under normal circumstances it probably takes even more to win in the current NBA.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
KP isn't consistent enough for a B.  If he stays on the floor more, he might warrant that grade. The rest of the grades I agree with.
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 05:21 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not sure if this is what you are trying to do but recreating a team that won more than ten years ago probably isn´t the smartest approach. The game evolves, rules changes, schemes that used to be great become obsolete.
Comparing the talent level makes sense to get an idea how much more the Mavs need to get back into the contender conversation. As much as I like the 2011 team. Just looking at the individual talent they are not comparable to some of the 2-3 star player powerhouses that are dominating the league right now. Under normal circumstances it probably takes even more to win in the current NBA.

Totally agree, but don't forget the 2011 Mavs beat the OG three star powerhouse. ;-)

In all seriousness, the comparison was really just about talent level. Not breaking any news here, but this team is a couple of big-time talents short. It also underscores the talent gap. Powell to Tyson is a giant chasm.
Like Reply
I honestly believe overall talent, while less than ideal, is not the huge issue it's made out to be here on the daily. 

If Porzingis would've fit with Luka as well as we all (including me) assumed, this thing would've been off and running. He didn't. Luka/KP has been problematic every step of the way. 

The Mavs have GREAT role players. This team would be working just fine if Luka/KP/THJ/Brunson were working as a group. Getting those 4 guys on the same page or exchanging some of them for players who fit together better (even if it means lowering overall talent) is the way forward. 

You all know who I'd start with.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Kammrath, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 06:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I honestly believe overall talent, while less than ideal, is not the huge issue it's made out to be here on the daily. 

If Porzingis would've fit with Luka as well as we all (including me) assumed, this thing would've been off and running. He didn't. Luka/KP has been problematic every step of the way. 

The Mavs have GREAT role players. This team would be working just fine if Luka/KP/THJ/Brunson were working as a group. Getting those 4 guys on the same page or exchanging some of them for players who fit together better (even if it means lowering overall talent) is the way forward. 

I think this is a good take.   I agree.  I am not ready to go there that KP isn't the answer.  Although, odds are certainly in your favor.

If KP can be a robin, then this team is one 3rd or 4th best player on the team away from being a contender.  Those players are available.   As you mention, we are filled with good rotation players.
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 07:16 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: If KP can be a robin, then this team is one 3rd or 4th best player on the team away from being a contender.

I might be limited in my thinking, but I just can't see how any big could be "Robin" to Luka's "Batman" if they have no interest in being a screener. That just short circuits the entire mental exercise for me.

Maybe I'm guilty of what I've accused so many others of: comparing KP to Dirk. I'm not meaning to do that, but on the other hand, we, around here, know better than most NBA fans how to get good shots for a deadly big man like that. And, we know what his gravity (when used as a screener) can do for everyone else.
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 06:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I honestly believe overall talent, while less than ideal, is not the huge issue it's made out to be here on the daily. 

It´s not everything but it doesn´t hurt to have an advantage in the talent department. Fit, schemes/coaching, intangibles, experience and more matter. I don´t think the Mavs ever had the most talented roster in the league. Think that they punched way above their weightclass in the early RC years because they had a lot of the mentioned strengths. Just requires a lot of things to go right to overcome less talent. With less talent the margin for error is extremly small.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 07:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: It´s not everything but it doesn´t hurt to have an advantage in the talent department. Fit, schemes/coaching, intangibles, experience and more matter. I don´t think the Mavs ever had the most talented roster in the league. Think that they punched way above their weightclass in the early RC years because they had a lot of the mentioned strengths. Just requires a lot of things to go right to overcome less talent. With less talent the margin for error is extremly small.

I don't disagree with any of this. 

I just think that with the fit being so awkward between Luka/KP/THJ/Brunson, ADDING talent to that mix isn't going to do much we like. I'm being kind widening the scope to the top 4 offensive guys. Really, the problem is the fit between the top two. 

I'm prone to thinking this way to a fault, but I just can't get excited about anything that doesn't move Porzingis off this team.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 07:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm prone to thinking this way to a fault, but I just can't get excited about anything that doesn't move Porzingis off this team.

[Image: bff.jpg?w=300&h=225]
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 07:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I just can't get excited about anything that doesn't move Porzingis off this team.

If you could move KP off the team you could have it like Wednesday's game against NYK every night.
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 09:39 PM)BackToSquareOne Wrote: If you could move KP off the team you could have it like Wednesday's game against NYK every night.

Meaning that KP's absence was the reason the team was hungover?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 09:39 PM)BackToSquareOne Wrote: If you could move KP off the team you could have it like Wednesday's game against NYK every night.

You must presume that KP wouldn't bring back any playable players in trade. Why do hate KP so much? None of the rest of us believe his value is that low.
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 09:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Meaning that KP's absence was the reason the team Luka was hungover?

fyp Wink
Like Reply
(01-14-2022, 10:55 PM)BackToSquareOne Wrote: fyp Wink

Kleber fumbled no fewer than 4 passes in that game. I thought they all looked pretty spent.
Like Reply