Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Mavs sign G Theo Pinson (6'5", 6'10.75" WS) to Two-Way contract
A little expected given how much the team liked him and he slotted in perfectly for a 2-way.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Meh. They need to take care of the Chriss situation.
Like Reply
I will be disappointed if Chriss is not kept.  I liked what i have seen so far.   Might as well give him an audition for the rest of the year.  This is not a knock on Moses, but if needed I would definitely have more confidence in Chriss over Moses in a playoff environment at this time.  I have been impressed with some of his passes.  Nothing extraordinary but there are flashes that he is more than just a rim runner.  

I can't imagine WCS, who has been absent for 6 weeks, is anything more than a salary filler.  The Mavs should know there may be a few guys who would work with X plus WCS, but that is probably very unrealistic.  Can't imagine that type of package is going to bring back much.  

Just keep Chriss and hope Dragic is bought out.    The rest of the year will be a good evaluation for the rest of the roster.

As far as Pinson goes, he has a real nice feel for the game and looks to be very engaged on the bench during games.  The question is can he hit the three consistently.    At his age, he probably isn't a two way candidate next year and I have trouble seeing him make the real roster.  The odds are against him.  But he looks like a fighter, so we would see.  It is really too bad Eugene got hurt.   These past few weeks would have been a golden opportunity for him.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, ballsrchr
Like Reply
(01-08-2022, 05:46 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Meh. They need to take care of the Chriss situation.

But Chriss wasn't eligible for the two way because of how long he's been in the league. This has no effect on that situation but I do want to see us find a way to keep Chriss.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • luka_skywalker_77
Like Reply
You can clearly see the plan here. Bullock, Brown, Pinson, increasing mins for Green.  The Mavs want rangy active players around Luka. It is the GS model. While everyone talked about GS smallball, and Donnie was looking for undersized players, all the GS opponents were commenting how long and defensively active that team was.   

There is a difference between smallball and small ball. Even if this iteration of the cast will need some refinements, at least you can see a plan that has proven to work if they get the talent right.
Like Reply
(01-09-2022, 08:12 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: You can clearly see the plan here. Bullock, Brown, Pinson, increasing mins for Green.  The Mavs want rangy active players around Luka. It is the GS model. While everyone talked about GS smallball, and Donnie was looking for undersized players, all the GS opponents were commenting how long and defensively active that team was.   

There is a difference between smallball and small ball. Even if this iteration of the cast will need some refinements, at least you can see a plan that has proven to work if they get the talent right.

When the Mavs signed Pinson and Chriss, I mentioned if this was a clue of the type of players they feel they are missing.   A wing player who can defend and has a good feel for the game and a rim running big who is physical and athletic.   

Now hopefully the Mavs will eventually find better versions of Chriss and Pinson longterm, but I felt it was interesting.
Like Reply
(01-09-2022, 10:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: When the Mavs signed Pinson and Chriss, I mentioned if this was a clue of the type of players they feel they are missing.   A wing player who can defend and has a good feel for the game and a rim running big who is physical and athletic.   

Now hopefully the Mavs will eventually find better versions of Chriss and Pinson longterm, but I felt it was interesting.

Or possibly replacements for similar type players already on the roster. An argument could be made that Chriss / Pinson could slide in the Powell/DFS roles if a big trade was made.

If we were to swing big (Dame/ Simmons / etc.) you best believe DFS would be included. His value has never been higher, especially with his contract.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/tpinsonn/status/1481313478887497728
Like Reply
(01-09-2022, 01:30 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Or possibly replacements for similar type players already on the roster. An argument could be made that Chriss / Pinson could slide in the Powell/DFS roles if a big trade was made.

If we were to swing big (Dame/ Simmons / etc.) you best believe DFS would be included. His value has never been higher, especially with his contract.

For a contender. A team that isn´t trying to win this season has little to no use for a high quality role player on an expiring contract. Would need to redirect him or include a 3rd/4th team in a trade.
Like Reply
(01-12-2022, 12:36 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: For a contender. A team that isn´t trying to win this season has little to no use for a high quality role player on an expiring contract. Would need to redirect him or include a 3rd/4th team in a trade.

I would rather the Mavs stood pat across the board than trade DFS - THJ, KP, Powell, Bullock, et al. staying put. That's how valuable he is to the Mavs. Second most untouchable Mav next to Luka. I could probably come up with perhaps five trade targets in the entire league about which that would not be true, and Simmons certainly isn't anywhere close to being one of them.
Like Reply
So that just leaves finding a hole for Chriss?
Like Reply