Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I said this could be coming in the gamethread if we won. What a great thread to have to make on Dirk's jersey retirement night too for another member of the championship Mavs

After shutting Denver down our defense ranked 9th going into that Warriors game and I don't think we did any damage to that stat. For all we've had to deal with this season 20-18 really isn't that bad and the team looks to be headed in the right direction
[-] The following 8 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • ClutchDirk, DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, hakeemfaan, Kammrath, michaeltex, ReunionMav, Tyler
Like Reply
Team D up to 6th for the SEASON. 1st over the last 13 games. Hell of a coaching job on that end!
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft, MrGoat
Like Reply
Apologies from here as well. The team is sharing well the ball and players like DFS have clearly better movement and confidence moving with and passing the ball. A coach finally found a way to have someone else bring the ball up at the PG and let Luka get the ball in the final third through off ball screens. I've always wanted this and RC never did this almost, and it prevents Luka being doubled, and keeps him more fresh, and it only improves his efficiency, and it only helps JB and others to touch the ball and make more impact, and I hope this stays in the playbook. The defense looks better in terms of movement and staying in front of opponents. JB looks like a great starter and amazing fit with Luka. The space Luka creates, JB takes advantage of through easier penetration for JB and shooting. Credit for Kidd for trying this and making this work. It's clear to me that these two will be an unstoppable combo in the future, and already now this is hard to scheme for.

All this being said, I still have ton of doubts due to the covid situation and many things not running normally. Many teams have been thrown off balance due to not being in full strength. Even at full strength, things are off balance for opponents. Also doubting these small lineups. For teams with bigs that can destroy us inside, things quickly then change both on defense and offense. I always see these situations as anomaly. But I hope something can be extracted from this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • MrGoat
Like Reply
Apology?  For what?  I'm still watching the team, coaches, and organization as a whole.  I will sooner or later decide how I think they are doing.  Right now I'm sort of pleased.  It's been rough, but seems to be smoothing out a bit.  

Strangely enough there are many people who flip flop on how the team is doing game by game.  Sometimes quarter by quarter.  I'm not one of those...
[-] The following 5 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • fifteenth, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, LukTheShadow, omahen
Like Reply
I'm one of those during a game who goes through the highs and lows like fire him and later give him a Max contract...

When a game is not on I am mostly a homer unless we are on a terrible losing streak ..
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I'm not ready yet.  The defense has looked better, but this has been a strange season and I need more sample before I truly believe it.  The offense has been a huge disappointment and negated any value from the defensive improvement.  If Kidd can figure out how to get Luka and KP working together offensively and we get back to being a top 10 team in that area, then I will start coming around.  

Honestly my biggest concern regarding the coaching change was playoff performance.  Lets see if he can hold his own in that regard.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I have never had the pitchforks out for JKidd, because I knew that patience was necessary, and also that we're far from the final condition of this roster. He has been pleasing to me in three aspects: 1) the defense, 2) playing and developing guys like Josh Green and bringing some of our fringe players along really well so that we have depth (top of the roster aside from Luka and perhaps Brunson is still crap), and 3) doing a good job of showcasing KP for trade. 

He has to fix the offense - which is going to be difficult until we trade KP - before I anoint him as equal to or better than RC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Loved Rick but it was clearly time to move on
[-] The following 4 users Like Jym's post:
  • chaparral, Dahlsim, MrGoat, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-06-2022, 12:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I have never had the pitchforks out for JKidd, because I knew that patience was necessary, and also that we're far from the final condition of this roster.

This is where I've been. Gotta give a coach more than a couple of months, right? Plus, regardless of results, and even if I've missed Rick's offense, I have bought into 1) the need to diversify, which could take time, 2) Kidd's goal to improve the defense and 3) the "info gathering" period needed for Kidd and Nico.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, ReunionMav
Like Reply
(01-06-2022, 12:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: before I anoint him as equal to or better than RC.

I honestly don't think there is a need to go here. RC is a different coach and even if Kidd were to lead the team to the championship I don't think we would need to say "Kidd is better than RC."
[-] The following 6 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, fifteenth, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, MrGoat, ReunionMav
Like Reply
(01-06-2022, 01:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I honestly don't think there is a need to go here. RC is a different coach and even if Kidd were to lead the team to the championship I don't think we would need to say "Kidd is better than RC."

This. I am super high on RC. As Dirk stated last night. One of the greatest basketball minds of all time. I think that even with all the issues we mentioned in the past it is really difficult to replace a coach like him.
Was sceptical about the Kidd signing. Even suggested that it was another case of the usual Mavs nepotism. He disappointed with the Nets and Bucks. Still wanted to be open minded. I think it is to early to judge him. I am just as disappointed about the offense as some. Just as happy about the offense as others.
I think this thread is more about us (including me) acknowledging that Kidd is not the same coach he used to be with the Bucks or Nets. Maybe some of his schemes and play calls are bad but it seems like he learned a lot about the relationship part of the job.
[-] The following 7 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth, ItsGoTime, Jmaciscool, Kammrath, KillerLeft, ReunionMav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
My observation:

Luka - Bullock - THJ 34 min
Luka - Brown - THJ 11 min
Luka - Brunson - THJ 8 min

Last 3 games. Think Kidd/coaching staff reads the forum  Big Grin

Maybe its coincidence, but they used THJ mostly with either Luka or Brunson.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sefant's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
If you would have told me the Mavs would be playing below expectations, which they have for most of the year, I would have thought it would be due to some nutty decisions and actions by the new head coach, who has a history of inexplicable coaching decisions.  But, I have to admit, Kidd’s been solid, wasn’t the reason for the early season struggles (that really falls on Luka), and the team has a great chance to be very good in the second half of the season, due, in large part, to Kidd’s influence. He seems to be getting better at his job, and making fewer mistakes, which is what smart people do. I would say, as of now, that Kidd has been a net positive for the Mavs, and that really surprises me.
[-] The following 4 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Kammrath, MrGoat, ReunionMav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
One thing that really is selling me is I was expecting a defensive regression when Luka returned to the lineup. Didn't happen. They're doing something right on that end. Still need to figure some things out on offense but we need Luka to get back to full health for that. And I wouldn't rule out some trades. This team has some problems but the pleasant surprise is Kidd is one of the last of those problems
[-] The following 3 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Kammrath, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I am going to take a victory lap bc I was open minded from the beginning to see what he would do. A lot of media, blogger types said he would be terrible. They can suck it.
[-] The following 6 users Like StepBackJay's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, ClutchDirk, Dahlsim, Kammrath, MrGoat, TXBamanut
Like Reply
[Image: giphy.gif]
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 3 users Like TXBamanut's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Dahlsim, MrGoat
Like Reply
He seems to have them playing better defense, even without their two top guns. The offense comes and goes.  But it's too early to draw conclusions after a 5 game win streak. Let's see where he's at in a couple of months.  Things can go sideways in a hurry in the NBA. Just being optimistic, not pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
I like the term info gathering. I have been calling the process evaluation of our own guys. Kidd might read this board but there is no need because it seems clear that he has become a very good observer of our players as well as past coaching associates. I really like how he has managed everything during this crazy year. 
I too love Rick but perhaps I am falling into a great liking of coach Kidd. 

Players I am positively excited about their progress include: Brunson, DFS, Frank N, KP, Josh Green and Sterling Brown. All of these have improved as players. They and Coach Kidd deserve credit. As Mavericks team asset evaluation goes our assets are improving no matter who they end up playing for. That is a good thing. As I said the other day I am getting more hopeful that these guys will prove themselves in the playoffs.
[-] The following 5 users Like ReunionMav's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, burekemde, ClutchDirk, MrGoat, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I think everyone knew the team would love him.  Nets aside, he's been great at building relationships with players on his teams.  Maybe his personality shows dividends come the free agency period this next offseason.

As a coach, the jury is still out.  Prior to COVID, the offense was a mess and I'm struggling to remember one quality win.  Let's see what this team looks like at the end of the year and into the playoffs (hopefully) before we hail or condemn him.

I'll give him a lot of credit for Josh Green though.  If Josh keeps this up, he could be a rotational player.  That doesn't justify the pick but that isn't exactly Kidd's fault.  Josh certainly wouldn't have come as far if Carlisle were still here.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • MrGoat, Paul Gasol, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...OgDsQ7-HWg&s=19
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 3 users Like ClutchDirk's post:
  • fifteenth, Kammrath, MrGoat
Like Reply