Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 1.0 pt RAPTOR favs & 5.5 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
71.43%
10 71.43%
Warriors
28.57%
4 28.57%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 38: GSW (29-8) @ DAL (20-18) | 99-82 win
Golden St. is a heck of a team defensively and they were much to blame for the Mavs late struggles. 

The Mavs just need to have a solid consistent lineup and the clutch offense will eventually improve.
Like Reply
(01-06-2022, 02:39 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Can only have two of them at a time, maybe two+THJ for short stretches. Then cut out 10% of the real stupid iso heroball offense by Luka/THJ and we might be onto something.

I've been using 11/15 as kind of an arbitrary turning point where we didn't suck as bad as we did the first 12 games.  That foursome has played a total of 19 minutes together since then.

Last night Kamm said we've been playing really good D for about 13 games (since 12/12) and in fact lead the NBA during that time.  That foursome hasn't played a single minute together (largely due to injury) during that span.

BTW, Powell and KP together during those last 13 games have a net rating of 15.2.  The only pairings better are KP/DFS at 18.5 and Bullock/DFS at 15.5.  There are 17 two man pairings that have gotten 100 minutes since 12/12 and the ONLY negative one is Maxi/Brunson at -1.4.  Luka has played 3 of the 13 games since 12/12, none with KP.  

As a reminder of something I wrote the other day, Luka and KP were -18.9 in the early part of the year (they played 7 of the first 12 games).  They've played 8 games together since 11/15 (none since 12/12) and are +5.5.  Much of that improvement, as you suggest, is fewer minutes as part of the loathsome foursome.

I looked at minute distributions for the season and even with injuries/Covid, a clear rotation is starting to emerge.

Bigs:  KP (791), Powell (769), Maxi (561)
Wings: DFS (1,200), THJ (990), Bullock (760)
PG's:  Brunson (1,145), Luka (834)

Next in line is Sterling as 9th most minutes played at 452, then Frank at 418.  38 games times 30 minutes would be 1,140.  Only DFS and Brunson are getting close to that (which tells you something about how much time has been missed by our top guys).  Yet, despite this and despite the horrendous start the first 12 games, we are 5th in the West with the sixth best D in the league for the entire season.  Imagine if we could hit 3's at better than the current .330% for the season (ranked 25th).
[-] The following 5 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ClutchDirk, fifteenth, Kammrath, KillerLeft, michaeltex
Like Reply
(01-05-2022, 10:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs small ball defense without a traditional big like KP, Moses or Boban is great. Can create more on ball pressure. Quicker rotations allowing for more switches, traps and doubles. Better close outs allowing them to collapse on drives. And all players are really active in the passing lanes.
Mavs defense against the Curry pick and roll/hand off action was great. Really refreshing to see a more agressive scheme after years of drop coverage.
Makes you dream about what this team could be like with Capela at center.
Like Reply
(01-06-2022, 05:22 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yet, despite this and despite the horrendous start the first 12 games, we are 5th in the West with the sixth best D in the league for the entire season.  Imagine if we could hit 3's at better than the current .330% for the season (ranked 25th).

I think the roster construction is flawed, which will be exposed the minute KP comes back. As you said - injuries actually did Mavs good, as they forced them to play lineups that fit together better. As soon as three of those four will play together, D will not be good anymore, imho. Offense is nothing special whole season, no matter what lineups we use. 

I also think we lack the overall talent, which will be confirmed in the playoffs. I think Luka is the only player that can raise his game and the ceiling of the team. Other teams have way more reserves, imho, especially as some might get their star players back for the playoffs. I hope Mavs don't think this team is good enough to contend, changes are imho still needed and difficult decisions are before them.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • ballsrchr, ItsGoTime, Kammrath
Like Reply
(01-06-2022, 10:08 AM)omahen Wrote: I think the roster construction is flawed, which will be exposed the minute KP comes back. As you said - injuries actually did Mavs good, as they forced them to play lineups that fit together better.

I think this is incredibly astute. The injuries and COVID showed us how competitive the Mavs can be when certain lineups cannot be put on the floor. I think the recent success is NOT reason to "stand pat"....I think the recent success shows how much a trade is needed to eliminate these issues when the team is "full strength."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-06-2022, 05:22 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I've been using 11/15 as kind of an arbitrary turning point where we didn't suck as bad as we did the first 12 games.  That foursome has played a total of 19 minutes together since then.

Last night Kamm said we've been playing really good D for about 13 games (since 12/12) and in fact lead the NBA during that time.  That foursome hasn't played a single minute together (largely due to injury) during that span.

BTW, Powell and KP together during those last 13 games have a net rating of 15.2.  The only pairings better are KP/DFS at 18.5 and Bullock/DFS at 15.5.  There are 17 two man pairings that have gotten 100 minutes since 12/12 and the ONLY negative one is Maxi/Brunson at -1.4.  Luka has played 3 of the 13 games since 12/12, none with KP.  

As a reminder of something I wrote the other day, Luka and KP were -18.9 in the early part of the year (they played 7 of the first 12 games).  They've played 8 games together since 11/15 (none since 12/12) and are +5.5.  Much of that improvement, as you suggest, is fewer minutes as part of the loathsome foursome.

I looked at minute distributions for the season and even with injuries/Covid, a clear rotation is starting to emerge.

Bigs:  KP (791), Powell (769), Maxi (561)
Wings: DFS (1,200), THJ (990), Bullock (760)
PG's:  Brunson (1,145), Luka (834)

Next in line is Sterling as 9th most minutes played at 452, then Frank at 418.  38 games times 30 minutes would be 1,140.  Only DFS and Brunson are getting close to that (which tells you something about how much time has been missed by our top guys).  Yet, despite this and despite the horrendous start the first 12 games, we are 5th in the West with the sixth best D in the league for the entire season.  Imagine if we could hit 3's at better than the current .330% for the season (ranked 25th).

Nice when the stats back my eyetest. Big Grin

Thanks for the effort. Have to admit your boy Dwight has benefitted a lot from these line-up changes, too.

It´s also good to see that the new MBT have apparently/hopefully figured this out rather quickly.

I still think THJ should be the natural trade asset from a cap/roster perspective. Kleber/Porzingis are just too much of an injury risk to get through the whole season with just Powell/Chriss as reliable back-ups. It could open further minutes for Green/Ntilikina, too.
Like Reply
Luka and KP need to be broken up ASAP! The team always looks better overall when one of them is not playing
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • chaparral, Kammrath
Like Reply