Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 11.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
91.67%
22 91.67%
Knicks
8.33%
2 8.33%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 8: NYK (2-7) @ DAL (5-3) | 102-106 loss
(11-09-2019, 01:57 PM)scottsp Wrote: I do not recall New York defenders at any time last night having the ability to deal with Porzingis or Doncic from the foul line down. Unfortunately, I also fail to recollect Dallas leveraging that advantage for extended periods of time. 

Obviously, this team has some talent. Yes, Luka is a mere wisp of a lad and KP is still trying to find his legs, his game. It does take time. I get all that. But that doesn't mean these issues somehow resolve themselves and I don't know that I trust this organization to act on it except to say, "Shots will fall. Things will work out."

We are not a particularly intelligent team on the floor and many of these mistakes don't take the guile of a ten-year vet to adapt or even steer clear. 

This.  No one regards Chuck Daley as a genius even though he has more titles than RC.  However, Daley had one philosophy on offense. If something is working milk it till the other team adjusts. If they adjust that opens up something else.  Then if they start adjusting to that go back to the first thing.   The Knicks made a living posting Ewing around the FT line for his fadeaway jumpers. 

I get it that the 3 pt line has changed the game and I'm not saying don't use it.  However, use it judiciously. When Luka and KP are just killing the Knicks and their assortment of power forwards down low, why settle for long jumpers? 

I don't see RC or anyone else in the organization reigning in Luka. Not just the Mavs. Organizations these days are scared of antagonizing a transcendent talent.  Either Luka has to understand it himself, since he's the leader of this offense or RC needs to recruit some veteran like Dirk to get into his ear.  Dirk's game went to the next level when he was able to go to his post up game too along with his usual reliable long distance sthot.
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 11:52 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: I am tired of this constant argument about how bigs cannot play in the modern game. We were getting outworked inside and outside yesterday. In that scenario, why would RC not go to a bigger lineup and at least force the Knicks to have to deal with that extra size on offense?  Why are we always force to match up to other teams than have them match up to us too. Boban/KP duo have looked good whenever they've been on the floor.
Carlisle forcing his line-ups to match up to other team is the one of the biggest issues most had with Avery Johnson, specifically in that 2007 GS playoff series. 

Yet they won't acknowledge as a problem because Dirk carried him to a ring 8 years ago. Avery was 2 wins away and a competent referee staff from a ring himself but he's constantly vilified while Carlisle is a "top 2 coach."
(11-09-2019, 02:03 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Just wanted to point out that Luka admitted in the post-game interview that his step-back was stupid. He even wrested the responsibility for losing the game from THJ's grubby hands.

Great news but this would hold more water if Luka actually backed up his words; he said same thing after the POR loss but immediately went back to hero ball versus DEN, which almost cost us the game. For better or for worse, I think we just need to get used to this Westbrook/Harden style of play until he gets older or "top 2 coach" Carlisle can step up.
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 03:22 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Great news but this would hold more water if Luka actually backed up his words; he said same thing after the POR loss but immediately went back to hero ball versus DEN, which almost cost us the game. For better or for worse, I think we just need to get used to this Westbrook/Harden style of play until he gets older or "top 2 coach" Carlisle can step up.

And this is interesting because, we have heard this from Luka on more than one occasion the past few weeks only to revert. This might be compulsive and with a kid that's understandable. I would kill to know the club's position on this. Is it the ol' hands-off, he will figure it out approach? Are conversations happening? Are there plans to work him off the ball more, maybe freeing him to work off screens or out of the post?

I mean, obviously, the best thing for this team is for Luka to facilitate and be at the wheel of this offense a lot . But there are times Dallas should be using him differently. His skill set is such that he can hurt opponents in a number of ways. Running him off a dribble from the left wing for the better part of 40 minutes every night seems to me not the most creative or efficient use of his talents.  He will get his numbers no matter what, but the offense will never be as good as it could be.
MFFL est. 1980
Like Reply