Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 7.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
100.00%
26 100.00%
Magic
0%
0 0%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GAME 7: ORL (2-6) @ DAL (5-2) | 107-106 win
(11-07-2019, 09:03 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 08:57 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Here's a sign of how well the season is going: The bar has been raised inside of the game thread! In recent years we devolved into complaining that Rick doesn't coach like we would coach and into kicking the whipping boy players in all the losses. This season, we jump on Rick and the whipping boys in a win where Orlando was good enough defensively to knock us off our game a bit; Orlando finally had a bit of a market correction on their shooting; but the Mavs were able to pull out a win.

In the past few years, this would have been a loss.

Very true. Which also shows how well things are going. The future is bright, and the future is NOW!
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 09:03 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: In the past few years, this would have been a loss.

Or it would have ended the same and the majority (myself included to be honest) would have been upset at beating another tank contender.

I've said it before and will continue to say it, the absolutely most refreshing part of this season is the ability to just cheer on the team without any concerns about picking up wins.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 12:14 PM)DrMav Wrote: Or it would have ended the same and the majority (myself included to be honest) would have been upset at beating another tank contender.

LOL, POTD
Like Reply
(11-06-2019, 11:07 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't like RC's rotations at all. DP doesn't deserved 34 minutes to Maxi's 20. THJ doesn't deserved 26 minutes while Brunson, Curry and Wright combined for 26 minutes.

IMO, Wright should take most of THJ's minutes.  THJ just doesn't look like he can physically and athletically really do that much when he's on the court.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 12:33 PM)mtrot Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 11:07 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't like RC's rotations at all. DP doesn't deserved 34 minutes to Maxi's 20. THJ doesn't deserved 26 minutes while Brunson, Curry and Wright combined for 26 minutes.

IMO, Wright should take most of THJ's minutes.  THJ just doesn't look like he can physically and athletically really do that much when he's on the court.

I think he had his best game this season last night. Don't get the criticism for this game at all.
Like Reply
IMO, the Mavs underestimated the length athleticism of the Magic, hence the number of stolen passes.  This is where the coaching staff has to better prepare the team for these teams like Orlando that have less well known players.  Sometimes these players are young and athletic as all get out.

(11-07-2019, 12:35 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 12:33 PM)mtrot Wrote:

I think he had his best game this season last night. Don't get the criticism for this game at all.

My impression and comment on THJ is based on the eyeball test for the season so far, not on last night's game.  I do hope he can be a great piece for the team.  Regarding Wright, he just seems like he knows what to do on offense, right now, and doesn't hesitate, also has great instincts on both offense and defense.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 12:35 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I think he had his best game this season last night. Don't get the criticism for this game at all.
Winning games never stops people from bashing rotation decisions and players...we are playing better than most expected and have a good start to the season...myself I'm enjoying not being a bottom dwelling loser team this year...

https://media.giphy.com/media/ScmA88oVeD.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 12:48 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 12:35 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I think he had his best game this season last night. Don't get the criticism for this game at all.
Winning games never stops people from bashing rotation decisions and players...we are playing better than most expected and have a good start to the season...myself I'm enjoying not being a bottom dwelling loser team this year...

https://media.giphy.com/media/ScmA88oVeD.../giphy.gif

I'm not sure we are a great play off team yet, but definitely a very good regular season team.
Mavs compete for the deepest team in the league.

They will probably finish top 4 if no major injury occurs.
Like Reply
Thing that's interesting about this game, is that KP still needs a good deal of time to find his way back into being comfortable out there. There were times he looked lost, time where his teammates forced the ball into him and other times where he was just frustrated and chucked a few shots. 

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that came through this franchise under Rick's watch, that didn't initially have issues. Couple that with being off the court for 20 months and you'll have what you currently see. You can even glean that from the post presser he had last night. I think he's still got a ways to go to figure out exactly how he's going to impact the game offensively, and it'l be even longer for the guys to develop chemistry with him and to know his 'spots'. 

Either way, there's no such thing as a bad win. In years past the team would have lost this and we'd be talking about how this is going to come back to haunt them. Good teams win games they aren't supposed to and this is a good team.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 02:25 PM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: Thing that's interesting about this game, is that KP still needs a good deal of time to find his way back into being comfortable out there. There were times he looked lost, time where his teammates forced the ball into him and other times where he was just frustrated and chucked a few shots. 

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that came through this franchise under Rick's watch, that didn't initially have issues. Couple that with being off the court for 20 months and you'll have what you currently see. You can even glean that from the post presser he had last night. I think he's still got a ways to go to figure out exactly how he's going to impact the game offensively, and it'l be even longer for the guys to develop chemistry with him and to know his 'spots'. 

Either way, there's no such thing as a bad win. In years past the team would have lost this and we'd be talking about how this is going to come back to haunt them. Good teams win games they aren't supposed to and this is a good team.

RC addressed this in his post-game comments, and he literally put the blame on himself for not finding him shots.  I agree.  Powell's return has coincided with Porzingis' downslide on the offensive end.  He ends up floating around the perimeter too often.  When the ball finds him, it is without energy - he is not moving towards the basket or in scoring position (off screens or wide open shots). It finds him as a generic pass out to the perimeter with a dude in his face (or fighting to RECEIVE the pass in this game being guarded by Isaac!). 

It is going to be a challenge for the coaching staff to keep the Luka/DP pick/roll as the primary offensive action, while not leaving KP alone.  I haven't seen him in the corners that often - that is one option.  I also read into RC's comments that they may break a few of their analytic rules and actually start getting him going in the mid-range where he is actually quite dominant.  KP from the elbow-in is money. I also want to see him taking some lesser defenders off the dribble.  But, whatever the solution, I think that it will be a focus of the next couple of games.  I would expect the ball finding KP early and often the next couple of games (he plays).
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 05:04 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 02:25 PM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: Thing that's interesting about this game, is that KP still needs a good deal of time to find his way back into being comfortable out there. There were times he looked lost, time where his teammates forced the ball into him and other times where he was just frustrated and chucked a few shots. 

RC addressed this in his post-game comments, and he literally put the blame on himself for not finding him shots.  I agree.  Powell's return has coincided with Porzingis' downslide on the offensive end.  He ends up floating around the perimeter too often.  When the ball finds him, it is without energy - he is not moving towards the basket or in scoring position (off screens or wide open shots). It finds him as a generic pass out to the perimeter with a dude in his face (or fighting to RECEIVE the pass in this game being guarded by Isaac!). 

It is going to be a challenge for the coaching staff to keep the Luka/DP pick/roll as the primary offensive action, while not leaving KP alone.  I haven't seen him in the corners that often - that is one option.  I also read into RC's comments that they may break a few of their analytic rules and actually start getting him going in the mid-range where he is actually quite dominant.  KP from the elbow-in is money. I also want to see him taking some lesser defenders off the dribble.  But, whatever the solution, I think that it will be a focus of the next couple of games.  I would expect the ball finding KP early and often the next couple of games (he plays).

Yeah, since Powell got in Kristaps got role confusion. He isn't secure yet in who he is at the moment and how to fit in. He is more or less in a waiting position trying to adjust.
That shouldn't be the case or his task if he isn't considered a role player. If your statement interpretation of Carlisle are correct that gives hope for the future.
Me personally I can't see why Porzingis cannot play like Dirk used to play. He has definitely the potential to learn so. 
Beside the eye test statistical evidence regarding lineups isn't really there yet.
I'm curious how they will adjust. I expect them to reduce lineup variety starting Christmas.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 12:14 PM)DrMav Wrote: Or it would have ended the same and the majority (myself included to be honest) would have been upset at beating another tank contender.

Never at the beginning of the season. If we had started out 5-2 last season with the team we had, things would have been a bit less...tanky IMO.
Like Reply
Where the hell is the Dirkie poll for this game that set Mak off? I want to see it just to justify my annoyance.
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 01:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Where the hell is the Dirkie poll for this game that set Mak off? I want to see it just to justify my annoyance.

Kammwrath manipulated the results and banished it to the Troll Cave lol.

https://www.qabickcents.com/dallasbasket....php?fid=6
Like Reply