Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BOBI!!!: All things Boban
(11-04-2019, 06:01 PM)Mak Wrote: Playing Boban ~15mpg every night would put him at well over 1,000 minutes for the season. Nearly twice as much as he’s ever played in a season his entire career.

I’m not necessarily making a hard case against it... but it’s probably important to consider he’s also a real-life giant that turns 32 in 2020 and would suddenly be playing more basketball at a high level than he ever has in his entire career. Scheduling hazards like back2backs would also put him in positions where he’s logging 30mpg in one day (24 hours or so).

"Besides, if he plays more, that cuts into my boy Diamond's minutes."
Like Reply
(11-06-2019, 06:34 AM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:03 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 02:45 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I'm just going to say it again for the record:

Boban is NOT the defensive liability people make him out to be.

His defensive toolbox is not full.  Despite being tall, (and long), he doesn't block shots.  He doesn't posses quickness - lateral or otherwise.  He is bad in the pick/roll and wouldn't be considered a good close-out defender.  Those are severe deficiencies in a player's defensive game.  

He does take up space and is an imposing figure at the rim - especially when paired with an actual shot blocker.  He also clogs the paint with his size - limiting movement through the paint and is a dominant rebounder - individual and team.  

Again, if he is a 30 minute player, you are going to be complaining about his D.  He is going to get game planned and exposed.  He is a talented matchup player.  Celebrate that.  I love the dude... but there is a reason he was available below room exception.  Doesn't mean he can't be a difference maker!  

The preseason game that gave me the most hope for him was against the Bucks.  I thought he played a solid game against a 4-out team.  Like you mentioned above, in that game, when he was in, they went to work WITH him.  A lot of Luka/Bobi pick/rolls.  So that is certainly part of the equation.  It will be part of the fun this season seeing how his role develops, for sure!  This team is so fun and has so many different possible storylines.  Going to be amazing!

I just went back and watched that game again, (thanks youtube tv and your beautiful unlimited dvr!), and Boban's success came against Robin Lopez.  When they took him out and went back to one non-shooter (Giannis), the advantage was quickly over.  But yeah, he dominated sideshow bob.  The next time they put him in, they took Lopez out for Bender and he chased him from the game. 

This is similar to the advantage he enjoyed against Cle the other night.  He is going to crush the R. Lopez/T. Thompson's of the NBA.  Funny he didn't get run against NO and Favors/Okafor.  Seems like that is his kind of matchup.  Will look for that next time.

Nice Bobi analysis.  

I'm interested in those cases where the match ups don't necessarily favor Boban.  The favorable match ups are a no brainer and make it clear why the Mavericks went out and  got Boban.   I think as Doc Rivers pointed out the tough Boban match ups could actually flip either way on any given rotation  just depending on how much the coach takes advantage of Boban and minimizes the defensive issues.   

This is a player that comes in and often scores and rebounds at an insane, Shaquille O'Neal like pace for his minutes on the floor.
If he's not scoring directly he's often collapsing the interior defenders so much that space opens up all over for the Luka's and KP's and Seth Curry's of the world.  

He's doing a better job in recent years of coming out to the 3 point line and challenging the stretch BIGS that are sent in to chase him off the floor.  So the question is, can you take more than you're giving up in those situations?   Its some risk yes, the opposing player or PnR combo might get hot shooting but as Doc said that's no guarantee that they do in Bobi's minutes. 

So I wish the coach would take it case by case, situation by situation and keep a rope ready to quickly pull Marjonovic if the it seems to be going south fast in those cases where its mismatch defense vs mismatch offense.   
This is particularly true imo when your team has the lead and the other team MUST get stops to catch you. 
Over the long stretch of a game, you can't give much defensively, hence Bobi's exposure time has to be limited.  

Sometimes however, over a short stretch, especially 4th quarters or during a comeback against you, you just need to keep scoring, even a few buckets, to secure a win.

I think RC rolled Bobi out there against ORL last night in what I would think was a non optimal situation, (Vuc/Gordon/Aminu), found it wasn't beneficial, and pulled him quickly.  I think that was the right decision as ORL went right to a pick/pop with Gordon (scored), followed by a vuc 3 attempt (missed), and then subbed for their mobile big and proceeded to run pick/rolls with him (foul) Decided to go the other direction later and inserted JJ, who made a big impact at the end of the 2Q.  Boban did not make another appearance.  

I want to add that while they did use Boban for a couple of screens (one that he was called for a foul on), and did try to get it inside to him on a couple of occasions (both turnovers), they never made a play inside while he was in there.

These are early data points, but they seem to suggest that he will not be used against mobile/perimeter bigs because of a lack of effectiveness.
Like Reply
(11-07-2019, 01:59 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 06:34 AM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:03 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 02:45 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I'm just going to say it again for the record:

Boban is NOT the defensive liability people make him out to be.

His defensive toolbox is not full.  Despite being tall, (and long), he doesn't block shots.  He doesn't posses quickness - lateral or otherwise.  He is bad in the pick/roll and wouldn't be considered a good close-out defender.  Those are severe deficiencies in a player's defensive game.  

He does take up space and is an imposing figure at the rim - especially when paired with an actual shot blocker.  He also clogs the paint with his size - limiting movement through the paint and is a dominant rebounder - individual and team.  

Again, if he is a 30 minute player, you are going to be complaining about his D.  He is going to get game planned and exposed.  He is a talented matchup player.  Celebrate that.  I love the dude... but there is a reason he was available below room exception.  Doesn't mean he can't be a difference maker!  

The preseason game that gave me the most hope for him was against the Bucks.  I thought he played a solid game against a 4-out team.  Like you mentioned above, in that game, when he was in, they went to work WITH him.  A lot of Luka/Bobi pick/rolls.  So that is certainly part of the equation.  It will be part of the fun this season seeing how his role develops, for sure!  This team is so fun and has so many different possible storylines.  Going to be amazing!

I just went back and watched that game again, (thanks youtube tv and your beautiful unlimited dvr!), and Boban's success came against Robin Lopez.  When they took him out and went back to one non-shooter (Giannis), the advantage was quickly over.  But yeah, he dominated sideshow bob.  The next time they put him in, they took Lopez out for Bender and he chased him from the game. 

This is similar to the advantage he enjoyed against Cle the other night.  He is going to crush the R. Lopez/T. Thompson's of the NBA.  Funny he didn't get run against NO and Favors/Okafor.  Seems like that is his kind of matchup.  Will look for that next time.

Nice Bobi analysis.  

I'm interested in those cases where the match ups don't necessarily favor Boban.  The favorable match ups are a no brainer and make it clear why the Mavericks went out and  got Boban.   I think as Doc Rivers pointed out the tough Boban match ups could actually flip either way on any given rotation  just depending on how much the coach takes advantage of Boban and minimizes the defensive issues.   

This is a player that comes in and often scores and rebounds at an insane, Shaquille O'Neal like pace for his minutes on the floor.
If he's not scoring directly he's often collapsing the interior defenders so much that space opens up all over for the Luka's and KP's and Seth Curry's of the world.  

He's doing a better job in recent years of coming out to the 3 point line and challenging the stretch BIGS that are sent in to chase him off the floor.  So the question is, can you take more than you're giving up in those situations?   Its some risk yes, the opposing player or PnR combo might get hot shooting but as Doc said that's no guarantee that they do in Bobi's minutes. 

So I wish the coach would take it case by case, situation by situation and keep a rope ready to quickly pull Marjonovic if the it seems to be going south fast in those cases where its mismatch defense vs mismatch offense.   
This is particularly true imo when your team has the lead and the other team MUST get stops to catch you. 
Over the long stretch of a game, you can't give much defensively, hence Bobi's exposure time has to be limited.  

Sometimes however, over a short stretch, especially 4th quarters or during a comeback against you, you just need to keep scoring, even a few buckets, to secure a win.

I think RC rolled Bobi out there against ORL last night in what I would think was a non optimal situation, (Vuc/Gordon/Aminu), found it wasn't beneficial, and pulled him quickly.  I think that was the right decision as ORL went right to a pick/pop with Gordon (scored), followed by a vuc 3 attempt (missed), and then subbed for their mobile big and proceeded to run pick/rolls with him (foul) Decided to go the other direction later and inserted JJ, who made a big impact at the end of the 2Q.  Boban did not make another appearance.  

I want to add that while they did use Boban for a couple of screens (one that he was called for a foul on), and did try to get it inside to him on a couple of occasions (both turnovers), they never made a play inside while he was in there.

These are early data points, but they seem to suggest that he will not be used against mobile/perimeter bigs because of a lack of effectiveness.

Excellent Bobinalysis! 

Yeah, I saw what you saw.  Exclamation  Props to Coach Carlisle.  He give Marjanovic a short test stint in a situation where it wasn't a clear favorable matchup.  He recognized it not trending in the Mavs favor and pulled the plug before any real damage could be done.  

The opposing coach is generally going to go right at Boban and try and drive him off the floor. They do this not only to gain an advantage but also to avoid suffering the disadvantages if he stays on the floor. The opposing coach knows Boban changes the offensive dynamic significantly and the rebounding. If he doesn't attack him then his own defense and big men are at risk guarding the Mavs. 
In that situation you're going to win some and lose some. As you said Vuc is a stretch 5 but he didn't burn Bobi. 

Problem was in his short time Boban didn't particularly burn them either with the offensive shots he got so Carlisle wisely went with other options.   When you have Powell, Kleber, Porzingis you have other promising ways to go at the opposing bigs.  You don't have to take extended risks.
Like Reply
Bobi couldn't get it going last night but that's the way it will go some nights. I get really excited now when I see him enter the game bc there's a chance that the other team can't stop him. If it doesn't go well, Rick will pull him but that's why he's our secret weapon.
Like Reply
Luka love and Bobi starts!

Luka double double on the Grizz and almost did a triple double in 3 quarters of play. Only resting through a blow out kept him from getting a couple of assists and getting another TD. Incredible.
Boban's game is not seen just in the stats which were solid anyway, but the key is the way he collapsed the paint and gummed up everything for Jonas V. a Maverick killer who couldn't kill in that game.
Luka drive + the threat of a Boban pass is incredibly difficult for the defense to guard. Most of the time its pick your poison because Luka will find the lob or the angle or take the easy shot.
Like Reply
Boban is unguardable. He is the secret sauce. Too powerful.
Like Reply
(11-10-2019, 12:11 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Boban is unguardable. He is the secret sauce. Too powerful.

I really believe that Boban is the best pairing in pick and roll you van find for Luka. He sets the screens perfectly and always gives Luka space to penetrate. KP cant do that nearly as good, and Powell also not. 

Then, its pick your poison. Luka has that chemistry with Boban to find him or if left alone, Luka is the master to finish with a floater or layup. 

To me just the quality of this connection we have seen so far, speaks that Boban should start. We need to start well in games.
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/CZqyEHErXMc
He has the freshest nicknames as well.

Boban the Assassin
https://youtu.be/Ga1QpjP5SzE
Boban BFG the big friendly giant.
https://images.app.goo.gl/uxNwoafYiwTWRazz6
Boban the unstoppable force.
Boban the immovable object.
Like Reply
(11-10-2019, 12:17 PM)burekemde Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 12:11 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Boban is unguardable. He is the secret sauce. Too powerful.

I really believe that Boban is the best pairing in pick and roll you van find for Luka. He sets the screens perfectly and always gives Luka space to penetrate. KP cant do that nearly as good, and Powell also not.

Then, its pick your poison. Luka has that chemistry with Boban to find him or if left alone, Luka is the master to finish with a floater or layup.

To me just the quality of this connection we have seen so far, speaks that Boban should start. We need to start well in games.

KP had better learn to be a roll man if he wants to help the Mavs win a championship or five someday.
Like Reply
https://streamable.com/7b8rv
Like Reply
(11-20-2019, 10:09 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: https://streamable.com/7b8rv

Don´t tell Tobias Harris that Boban is cheating on him.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BobanMarjanovic/stat...1410801664
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BobanMarjanovic/stat...3579748352
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/12...1593107456
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/status/...5566619648
Like Reply
Bobi is fun but you can't rely on him. Having 1 good game every dozen or so games isn't going to cut it. Mavs desperately need someone who can play consistent minutes, especially if one of KP, Maxi, Powell is out. You have seen even with KP out most nights Rick still gives Bobi scant minutes or no minutes at all. That just is unacceptable. Either play him or trade him. He doesn't do us any good playing a few good games a season.
Like Reply
(01-14-2020, 03:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Bobi is fun but you can't rely on him. Having 1 good game every dozen or so games isn't going to cut it. Mavs desperately need someone who can play consistent minutes, especially if one of KP, Maxi, Powell is out. You have seen even with KP out most nights Rick still gives Bobi scant minutes or no minutes at all. That just is unacceptable. Either play him or trade him. He doesn't do us any good playing a few good games a season.

Several very good games for Bobi now.  Last night 13 points 11 rebounds as Dallas demolished GSW.  
Yeah, he can only play well if he gets minutes so unless you get someone behind KP, Maxi and Powell that Carlisle will actually play more consistent minutes than Boban then that's probably not the position of desperate need.  

Maybe coach will simply play and trust him more. Derek Harper asked Marjanovic after the game why he produces so well in few minutes but basically still gets only those few minutes.  His answer was essentially I don't know, I just work hard to stay ready. 
KP, Maxi and Powell are all talented and in general playing so well, there's not a lot of minutes behind them.  Boban does give the team an inside force on offense and the boards though that no one else on the roster provides.
Like Reply
MORE BOBAN!!!

LESS SMALL BALL!!!!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
Love when Bobi plays with KP

When Bobi and KP play inside it's miserable for the other team to get anything going inside. Obv they can beat size by hitting outside shots but not every team can do that.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 10:57 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Love when Bobi plays with KP

When Bobi and KP play inside it's miserable for the other team to get anything going inside. Obv they can beat size by hitting outside shots but not every team can do that.

Yup, and not only the Giant sized KP/Bobi rotation, but Luka is great with Boban.  
Carlisle doesn't run enough offense around Boban but Luka sees it more often than not.  

When Luka rolls to the rim and Boban is around, Luka knows its pick your poison time for the defense.  
Doncic is sooo good inside as a scoring and passing threat that having this other giant scorer near him is elite enough to compete with any defense in the NBA. 
I notice that both Jalen and Seth are also good at this, they're high BBIQ and always a scoring threat themselves. 
Luka adds the dimension of seeing everyone on the floor well from where ever he is. 

So look at KP's shooting line in the Clipper game, 4 of 17.  Now look at Boban at 5 of 6 in a game Dallas loss by 3 points! 
What's wrong with this picture?
Confused
Like Reply