Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 8.0 pt RAPTOR & 8.5 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
43.75%
7 43.75%
Suns
56.25%
9 56.25%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 14: DAL (9-5) @ PHX (11-3) | 98-105 loss
Shit Sad

But still proud on mavs D!
Like Reply
Mavs put up a good scrap. But Paul who didn't have a great game shooting had 13 assists, and a great pass to Ayton. And Booker hit the dagger. Phoenix didn't play well and still got the win. Hope Luka comes back Friday for the rematch.
Like Reply
Shooting 11-24 on layups is a good way to lose.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • Hypermav, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
I find very encouraging that:
Tim, KP, Brunson and Powell confirmed that they at this moment belong in starting five
Finney Smith, Burke and Ntikilina confirmed they are good candidates for starters or significant bench minutes
Bullock and S Brown dissapointed, but should be given another chance at least
Cauley Stein confirmed that any minute given to him is a total waste of a precious time
M Brown and Green deserve a chance too.

Not long ago I was complaining that there is no real team, a collective of fighters there. But now it looks like it is getting better, with repeated solid or good performances from the same players  from game to game. Yes, I would prefer a win, but this defeat had some vey teachable moments for the whole team and fans too, imho.
Like Reply
(11-18-2021, 12:53 AM)Borkhan Wrote: Powell confirmed that they at this moment belong in starting five
  You are on one mate
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • luka_skywalker_77
Like Reply
My expectations are so low for Sterling Brown at this point...he is basically just out there to run around for a few minutes per game. But he is a Kidd Guy so he will probably be here for as long as Kidd is
Like Reply
Nearly 40 wasted minutes from Bollocks and Brown and the Mavs lose a hard fought game. Wasn’t that bad of a performance otherwise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-18-2021, 01:28 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Nearly 40 wasted minutes from Bollocks and Brown and the Mavs lose a hard fought game. Wasn’t that bad of a performance otherwise.

This is pretty much my exact take on it. 

I also think Kidd made a couple of mistakes in the fourth. Most notably:

I think he rested BOTH Brunson and KP a bit too long to start the quarter. 

I said after the Denver game that I was ok with DFS sitting to close that one, but tonight I thought he was playing well and probably needed to be out there. He did come back in, but much too late for my liking.

The only time I have felt like the offense has been “forced” through KP during this past 5-6 games was during the last 5 minutes of this game. I would much rather have seen Brunson or Hardaway doing their thing tonight down the stretch, personally. Even Burke or Ntilikina would’ve generated better possessions, I think. 

None of the above is meant to take away from some of the good things Kidd is doing, even in this, specific game. Just a few nitpicks I had. 

Overall, I think the Suns kept it close and then when it came time to win, their experience got the job done. They are a better team, especially when it comes to synergy and time together, so I’m happy the Mavs gave them this good of a fight. 

Bullock and WCS were both pretty terrible tonight, imo, but OMG was Ntilikina great! I think HE might be the best addition this season, which is nuts!
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Borkhan, fifteenth
Like Reply
That Suns team reminds me of the 2011 Mavs.   How the Mavs could not play their best game but late in games would always execute an get good, clean open looks.   That is what the Suns did last night.   They got into a rhythm early in the fourth.   Mavs switched to a zone and PHX got even better looks.    Just a sign of a really veteran team.   

I may be off but I think early in the fourth when Powell was the lone big man that PHX really attacked the team.  Maybe that got them going.   I thought Powell was fine but the lineup when he was the only big is not a strong defensive lineup.   I may be not remembering correctly though.

Every minute given to Sterling Brown and WCS is a waste right now.    I am actually impressed Kidd has stuck by them.   I am just not sure there is anything to salvage...especially WCS.   

Some nights I really like what I see from Bulllock.  Others, like last night, not so much.   He pretty much did not finish on three layups.  One was blocked, but maybe go harder for the dunk?  The other two were easy misses.  

KP...some ups and downs.  I am still not sure what we have, and I am a KP keeper.   I just don't know if he is ever going to be a person who you give the ball to and he is efficient being able to score.    I like the assist numbers though.
Like Reply
(11-18-2021, 07:13 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am actually impressed Kidd has stuck by them.

Kidd has been incredibly patient with his evaluations, not only of individual players but of lineups. I have gotten impatient as a fan, but patient evaluation tends to be better, so I am trying to hang in there.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ClutchDirk, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(11-18-2021, 08:40 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Kidd has been incredibly patient with his evaluations, not only of individual players but of lineups. I have gotten impatient as a fan, but patient evaluation tends to be better, so I am trying to hang in there.

I agree with this except WCS needs to be shot into the sun.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • luka_skywalker_77, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Kidd NEEDS to find more minutes for Frank and I can't possibly stress this enough.
[-] The following 2 users Like luka_skywalker_77's post:
  • Arioch, dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(11-18-2021, 10:39 AM)mvossman Wrote: I agree with this except WCS needs to be shot into the sun.
With wings made with wax?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(11-18-2021, 10:39 AM)mvossman Wrote: I agree with this except WCS needs to be shot into the sun.

I like that he can move his feet on defense and when he is engaged that helps the team but the Mavs also need some kind of boxscore production from him. He is a big that isn´t protecting the rim, isn´t rebounding, isn´t scoring in the paint or stretching the floor.

He played in all eight games in november. 69 minutes total. 2 points (1/6 FG). 11 rebounds. 4 assists. 1 block 1 steal. 2 turnover. 6 fouls.
How is that even possible?
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Im waiting until post All-Star break to see our tightened lineups.   Assuming we are trying to get to the post season.  If we are trying...I assume/hope Powell hardly sees the floor again...ever...in a Mavs uniform.

My god...Powell LITERALLY has to rebound the ball twice EVERY time he touches a rebound or pass.   Most of those fumble into the opponents hands leading to a turn over.   Get him off the floor ASAP.

Someone else mentioned it about Bullock...I am also waiting on tighter lineups and see what kind of looks he gets and how often he hits his open threes.   We just need him to be guarded in the playoffs.   We dont need guys on the floor that allow their defender to cheat and clog the lane or double luka.   If Bullock shows he can hit open 3s at a decent clip we are ok.   I dont know about his defense or that contract....but if his guy doesnt cheat off him we are ok.

More Frank should be seen post All-Star break I hope.  Sooner would be better.

JB...he is a 3 Star Michelin cook.   Love it.

Kp...plays need to be drawn up that dont involve KP holding the ball for any extended period of time.   He cant cook...when he tries...defenders rip it from him at an astonishing rate.   It has to stop.   Deep pin down...pass to him and quickly goes up for a dunk or layup...sure.   KP behind the arch...sure.   KP holding the ball in the post trying to cook...hell no.  KP putting the ball on the floor period is a no no and has to stop.
Like Reply
(11-18-2021, 11:01 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I like that he can move his feet on defense and when he is engaged that helps the team but the Mavs also need some kind of boxscore production from him. He is a big that isn´t protecting the rim, isn´t rebounding, isn´t scoring in the paint or stretching the floor.

He played in all eight games in november. 69 minutes total. 2 points (1/6 FG). 11 rebounds. 4 assists. 1 block 1 steal. 2 turnover. 6 fouls.
How is that even possible?

yes, I've been inching more and more towards your thinking on WCS this season. I don't know if he's playing worse this year, or if it's that the rest of the defense is playing a little better, or what, but there have been several games this season when I haven't even really liked his defensive contributions. 

Last year (maybe just because he would often replace KP) I felt often that he changed the game defensively just by being out there and moving, whether he played well or not. This season, he often enters a game where the Mavs' defense is at least borderline effective, and then I become very aware of his positioning errors, rebounds he can't get, boxouts he misses, etc. 

All in all, I think it's time to move on from him, though I've been very supportive of this experiment until now.
Like Reply
This game was lost off of Kidd's inane choice to run zone for 3 straight possessions giving PHX 2 threes and an easy layup. 

Then for whatever reason he decides to run with Bullock over the hot hand in Frank in the 4th as well.

WCS was useless throughout the whole game. Sterling Brown was useless as well. 

Other than that everyone else played superb. Tough loss.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(11-18-2021, 12:46 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: This game was lost off of Kidd's inane choice to run zone for 3 straight possessions giving PHX 2 threes and an easy layup. 
Maybe. To be fair, the Suns had scored on the previous five possessions, and nothing the Mavs were doing was working. 

I might also question, in retrospect, the decision to run the offense through KP at the end. KP apparently said after the game that his legs were gone by that point. Don't know whether Kidd was aware of that, or whether he felt that he had a better option, in any case.
[-] The following 3 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • fifteenth, ItsGoTime, luka_skywalker_77
Like Reply
(11-18-2021, 12:58 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Maybe. To be fair, the Suns had scored on the previous five possessions, and nothing the Mavs were doing was working. 

I might also question, in retrospect, the decision to run the offense through KP at the end. KP apparently said after the game that his legs were gone by that point. Don't know whether Kidd was aware of that, or whether felt that he had a better option.

The change came when CP3 started hitting shots. Once he got going, the his pick and polls were killing, so Kidd switched it up, but it didnt work. Plus, Dallas is piss poor at rotations in zone coverage. You may not like the zone, but if you're going to use it, you have to use it properly.

Either way they scored 37 in the fourth and that simply isnt going to get it done.
Like Reply
(11-18-2021, 01:17 PM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: Plus, Dallas is piss poor at rotations in zone coverage. You may not like the zone, but if you're going to use it, you have to use it properly.

Yeah, those Crowder 3's in the corner were scary open. 

But to be fair, the Mavs, with a first year coaching staff and players just learning to play together in a new system, were facing a team that went to the NBA finals last year with one of the best PG's of all-time. I think Kidd hoped the zone would confuse the Suns temporarily (as we see happen to teams from time to time) but it turned out that they knew how to break the zone more than Dallas knew how run it.
[-] The following 7 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Arioch, ClutchDirk, dirkfansince1998, fifteenth, ItsGoTime, luka_skywalker_77, mavsluvr
Like Reply