Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
2022 NBA Draft: #37 Jaden Hardy (6' 3", 6' 9" WS) to DAL | two 2nds to SAC
(06-25-2022, 01:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't think this is possible anymore. 

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe one of the deals they made on draft night offered a team "the most favorable" between that Dallas pick and one they possess from the Bulls.

That would be a bummer for any concepts where we are trying to free up future picks.

One other note, I don't believe the TPE (if there is a S&T) is Brunson's full salary.  I think it is only the outgoing 50% because of BYC.  So, it would be more valuable to combine his outgoing with someone else in a larger deal than to have a TPE in the neighborhood of $12.5mm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 01:42 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: That would be a bummer for any concepts where we are trying to free up future picks.

I'm 99% sure I came across something that was "the most favorable" between a Dallas pick that some team owns and a Chicago pick that some team owns getting moved in a trade on draft night. 

I'm only 80% sure it was the Knicks who made this trade, but I can't remember any other Dallas 1sts owned by other teams, either, and the Knicks were wheeling and dealing, so it would make sense. 

Is there some way we can confirm this? I don't know all of the fun sites like you do.
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 01:38 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The pick they got was a heavily protected pick from MIL in 2025. So basically a late 1st. Not the same value at all.

It is a very weakly protected pick, top4 only. While it is possible it will be a bad pick, it is also possible something goes wrong in Milwaukee in next three years.
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 01:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm 99% sure I came across something that was "the most favorable" between a Dallas pick that some team owns and a Chicago pick that some team owns getting moved in a trade on draft night. 

I'm only 80% sure it was the Knicks who made this trade, but I can't remember any other Dallas 1sts owned by other teams, either, and the Knicks were wheeling and dealing, so it would make sense. 

Is there some way we can confirm this? I don't know all of the fun sites like you do.

According to this it was a 2023 Denver pick that was traded

(1) Knicks Memes on Twitter: "Knicks should have stopped after trade #2 Turning #11 and 4 2nds into #13 and two extra 1sts? An absolute steal! Their actual moves now look stupid unless dumping Kemba ends up making a huge difference... https://t.co/J9x2VWrVlf" / Twitter
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 01:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm 99% sure I came across something that was "the most favorable" between a Dallas pick that some team owns and a Chicago pick that some team owns getting moved in a trade on draft night. 

I think that it was one of the srp's going to charlotte... either our's or Mia's pick. I don't think it was involving our FRP.
Like Reply
You guys might be right. It's not a totally locked in memory, so I'll trust that if it was what I remember it being I wouldn't be the only one who would've caught it.

I think what I'm remembering is something I heard on that 4 part Simmons pod. So maybe I'm remembering it wrong or maybe someone simply misspoke. They do that all the time on those pods.
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 01:59 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You guys might be right. It's not a totally locked in memory, so I'll trust that if it was what I remember it being I wouldn't be the only one who would've caught it.

I think what I'm remembering is something I heard on that 4 part Simmons pod. So maybe I'm remembering it wrong or maybe someone simply misspoke. They do that all the time on those pods.

Pistons acquire No. 13 pick in 3-team trade(June 23)

Pistons get:
Hornets get:
  • 2023 first-round pick (from Denver via Oklahoma City and New York)

• 2023 second-round pick (via New York)

• 2023 second-round pick (via Utah)

• 2023 second-round pick (most favorable of Dallas/Miami)

• 2024 second-round pick (via New York)
Knicks get:
  • Future first-round pick
This trade is official but will be finalized at a later date.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Berknip's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 02:06 PM)Berknip Wrote: 2023 second-round pick (most favorable of Dallas/Miami)

This was it! So it's a 2nd. False alarm everyone, sorry!
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 09:23 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Couple of other things:

He was playing against older folks who are genuinely fighting to get a chance and good enough to make the G League, as opposed to most college players who are playing against kids their age, many of whom will never make the G League. 

G League is not as glamorous or cushy a life as a major college program where the players, especially the top dogs like Hardy would have been, are pampered and treated like royalty. 

So the fact that he fought through and kept improving definitely says something about his work ethic and mental makeup.

It's his improvement during the season that makes me not hate the pick. He face planted hard right out of the gate in G league. 

Hardy got me looking more closely at the G League. G League Ignite is a very new thing though, founded in 2020. The Ignite is the specific team designed for elite NBA prospects (no one dared take the G league route for 5 years after PJ Hairston in 2014). In 2018 the NBA introduced Select Contracts of $125K for elite prospects starting in 2019-20. No one bit so they raised the amount and soon the top recruit in the nation, Jalen Green, the top ranked player in the 2020 high school class signed with the Ignite for $500k. Soon after, Kuminga, who was the top prospect in the 2021 high school class reclassified to 2020 and also joined the Ignite. 

The Ignite is specifically the team meant to poach top recruits from the NCAA
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 02:34 PM)MrGoat Wrote: It's his improvement during the season that makes me not hate the pick. He face planted hard right out of the gate in G league. 

Hardy got me looking more closely at the G League. G League Ignite is a very new thing though, founded in 2020. The Ignite is the specific team designed for elite NBA prospects (no one dared take the G league route for 5 years after PJ Hairston in 2014). In 2018 the NBA introduced Select Contracts of $125K for elite prospects starting in 2019-20. No one bit so they raised the amount and soon the top recruit in the nation, Jalen Green, the top ranked player in the 2020 high school class signed with the Ignite for $500k. Soon after, Kuminga, who was the top prospect in the 2021 high school class reclassified to 2020 and also joined the Ignite. 

The Ignite is specifically the team meant to poach top recruits from the NCAA

I am aware of the money part. At least at that time with how college pay rules were.  Still there is a vast difference between the G league and the rock star treatment you get on a major college campus. 

So this guy has already navigated some things that other high rookies haven’t:

He has already got major money and that didn’t distract him from putting in the work to improve. A lot of rooks lose their way at the first flush of real cash. 

He was competing against older guys in general with more developed bodies and more pro attitudes as far as preparation and laying it on the line. 

Regardless of the pay he is now used to the G league and if the Mavs devote a heavy portion of his first season there he already knows how to handle that situation in more ways than one. 

As KL wrote I am more excited today than when they first drafted him.
Like Reply
I preferred to chase after more defensive potential (preferably at the wing) but I get why Nico rolled the dice on Jaden Hardy. 

The Positives:

- Nico not afraid to tap into the youth pipeline despite not having a draft pick and his team being a playoff mainstay. 
- Shot creators and shooting are always a hot commodity. 
- Hardy is raw but has a good shooting stroke with a decent handle, and adequate size (SG potential). I think he is "athletic" enough. 

The Negatives:

- Most likely, not a year 1 player unless Dinwiddie/THJ are dropped, even then I am not sold. Year 2 might be tough too. 
- Despite his promising shot mechanics, he shot the ball poorly from the field. 
- Terrible finisher and defender, sorry needs to be said again. 
- BBall IQ is AAU level
- Top 5 hype but teammates like Daniels, Beauchamp, and Scoot outshined him. There is a reason he dropped to #37. He is 3 months older than Kuminga, and only 5 months younger than Jalen Green; these two showed more flashes during their G-League stints, leading to top 7 overall selections (2021 draft was stronger, IMO). 

I know Nico had him at #19, apparently Hardy had good workouts during the draft process. IMO, he has classic 6th man scoring punch a la Jordan Clarkson at best. That would be a great 2nd round steal however he has a ton of flaws right now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • Kammrath, KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/basketbllnews/status...6571694081
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1540868088035299328
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 05:34 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/basketbllnews/status...6571694081

I imagine Hou is pretty stoked that he fell to them.  Not sure why he fell, but he seemed to be the best player in the draft.  From what I saw of them, he would have been the guy.  Seemed to fit well into what ORL was building as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavsfan12's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 08:34 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: I imagine Hou is pretty stoked that he fell to them.  Not sure why he fell, but he seemed to be the best player in the draft.  From what I saw of them, he would have been the guy.  Seemed to fit well into what ORL was building as well.

Was my number one as well. Complete package on both ends. Holmgren and Banchero have some question marks.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...8908140544
Like Reply
I know I am late to the party, but watching some scouting reports on Jaden Hardy and really shocked we got him where we did, and am starting to get excited about him on this team.
[-] The following 2 users Like Magickian's post:
  • HIMAV, KillerLeft
Like Reply
To me, Hardy has always been a guy slotted from 15 to 20. I have others guys who could fall, but I didn't think Hardy would. So I didn't even consider him.

Hardy looks like a player to me. I'm not expecting minutes for him in his rookie year, but the kind of talent he has, it wouldn't take long for him to get his place on the rotation. Dude's a baler and the Mavs got lucky.
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 04:20 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: I preferred to chase after more defensive potential (preferably at the wing) but I get why Nico rolled the dice on Jaden Hardy. 

The Positives:

- Nico not afraid to tap into the youth pipeline despite not having a draft pick and his team being a playoff mainstay. 
- Shot creators and shooting are always a hot commodity. 
- Hardy is raw but has a good shooting stroke with a decent handle, and adequate size (SG potential). I think he is "athletic" enough. 

The Negatives:

- Most likely, not a year 1 player unless Dinwiddie/THJ are dropped, even then I am not sold. Year 2 might be tough too. 
- Despite his promising shot mechanics, he shot the ball poorly from the field. 
- Terrible finisher and defender, sorry needs to be said again. 
- BBall IQ is AAU level
- Top 5 hype but teammates like Daniels, Beauchamp, and Scoot outshined him. There is a reason he dropped to #37. He is 3 months older than Kuminga, and only 5 months younger than Jalen Green; these two showed more flashes during their G-League stints, leading to top 7 overall selections (2021 draft was stronger, IMO). 

I know Nico had him at #19, apparently Hardy had good workouts during the draft process. IMO, he has classic 6th man scoring punch a la Jordan Clarkson at best. That would be a great 2nd round steal however he has a ton of flaws right now.

Sorry if this is a repost but this article talks about his strengths and weaknesses. If his defensive ability is not a result of any athletic shortcomings as this article states, that is something a coaching staff can work with. At the end of the day he was the 37th pick and not the 19th. Hope that serves as a wake up call for him to shore up his areas of weaknesses. 

https://medium.com/@asktumma/scouting-re...f0b59429cd
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/stat...7481873414
Like Reply